2019 Rain Thread

Biff Tannen

5 minutes ago, Okie State said:

It's crazy if you go down below them while they are letting water out. One wrong step and you're history.

This was back in the late 80s, but I remember as a kid being there one summer, and they were letting water through, and it was creating all of these pools of water in the rock below the dam, in holes that were normally dry, and there were a shitload of people fishing those holes, or in some cases, using big-ass nets.  It was weird as hell - some of these things looked about the size of a backyard swimming pool that had decent-sized fish, but the whole time I was thinking "wow, this place is dangerous, there was nothing that kept us from coming down here and there's no place to go if things go bad".  Just a wide-open area.  One of my more bizarre fishing experiences.  Thanks dad and uncles?

Would love to see a live shot of those gates.

• Like 1

https://www.newson6.com

Damn, they are showing multiple storm chasers on the Live link there.

Barges have broken loose on the Arkansas (McKlellan-Kerr or whatever).   Those things could fuck up dams/spillways.

Keystone is releasing 215,000 CF of feet per second, and they are prepping for 300,000.   Tulsa is fucked.  They said they've never pushed this much water before.  

They just said they're letting out over 200,000 cf of water per second at the Keystone Dam and are preparing to up it to 300,000. Saying they could see historic flooding on the scale of '86. I was two when that happened and living in Denver, but it is always referenced as the worst ever for the area.

They are evacuating towns along the McClellan–Kerr/Arkansas River, because they are concerned that loose barges are going to take out dams/locks/bridges.  They are running Lifeflight helicopters over the river looking for barges.

Fucking nuts.

I suppose the Catoosa Blue Whale is probably gone.

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Crazy that they have barges loose on the river that are potentially going to wreck locks and flood people, and that's not the biggest story right now.

Looks like they found them and they are about to hit the locks.

Estimate that it will hit between 9:55-10:05pm

https://www.newson6.com has a camera watching the locks

Edited by atomheartbevo

53 minutes ago, Okie State said:

I do not miss this tornado shit. Just constantly popping up all damn night.

I lived for a few years in Oklahoma as a kid, lived in Lubbock as an adult, went through this shit, and have too many relatives in North Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas, and yeah, do not miss any of this at all.

Can't believe they are getting additional spin-ups at this time of night.

I do like the Channel 6 weather team - they are on-the-ball - our news crews in Austin never have to come close to this kind of stuff.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

I lived for a few years in Oklahoma as a kid, lived in Lubbock as an adult, went through this shit, and have too many relatives in North Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas, and yeah, do not miss any of this at all.
Can't believe they are getting additional spin-ups at this time of night.
I do like the Channel 6 weather team - they are on-the-ball - our news crews in Austin never have to come close to this kind of stuff.
Travis Meyer is the man. Calm and collected and non-stop coverage with spotters all over the area. I grew up with these Tulsa weather guys and they know their shit.

Travis Meyer is amazing.  He's juggling like half a dozen storm trackers all at once and is flipping through various radar/sensor images like it's nothing.  I know he's got a big-ass map and has people talking into his earpiece, but he's just not stumbling, and he probably has very little sleep in the past 24 hours.

• Like 1

I told my wife I'm not going to bed until these barges blast into these locks.  It's been over an hour since they were supposed to hit, but no one can find them now.  I'm about to go find them myself to I can go to sleep.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Missouri's capital city, Jefferson City, just got hit hard by a tornado, reports of many trapped.  Parts of the city were already under evacuation orders as a levee on the Missouri River is expected to be overtopped.

Holy shit, helluva debris ball - this is currently live.