2019 Rain Thread

Biff Tannen

People are getting excited about trees being stripped of their bark for whatever reason.

And the first decent photo.

It’s because the bark being stripped shows just how powerful the tornado was. Bark doesn’t get stripped in an EF0-EF2. It means the winds were likely more than 135 mph, which means you only survive a direct hit if you’re lucky or below ground.

Just now, Assman said:

I admittedly don't know much about the workings of a barge, but now that they know where they are, can't they just toss a rope to one and drag it to shore?

Those things are heavy as hell, and they are being moved by a pretty strong current that is rising

Ya that's a lot of extra force on the dam.  I know we don't do shit like this in this day and age, but kinda makes me think it would have saved a bit of money to sink them prior to getting close to the dam itself.

3 minutes ago, drt said:

Ya that's a lot of extra force on the dam.  I know we don't do shit like this in this day and age, but kinda makes me think it would have saved a bit of money to sink them prior to getting close to the dam itself.

Yep.  

16 minutes ago, drt said:

This.  For crying out loud, this.

I had two solutions in mind.  They had small boats around them earlier -- could they not have used a (slightly larger) boat to run out 1) an anchor and 2) heavy anchor chain?  I mean, I guess it would have to be a hefty boat to handle that much weight, so maybe that wouldn't work.  BUT, my second option -- sink the SOBs.  A couple of 500 lb bombs from any number of aircraft at Tinker could have done it.  The barges were in the middle of a flooded lake, would be a pretty safe bomb run.

Just watching them go downstream and F up a dam seems to be folly.

14 minutes ago, retread said:

Shitload of fertilizer.

Maybe that is why they didn't go with the bombing solution? The said last night that the tug boats they used to stop some barges closer to their docks couldn't navigate the high flow closer to the dam. I'm sure they had a reason to not just sink them, because that made sense to me too. Especially since they ended up sinking anyway.

1 minute ago, Parliament said:
52 minutes ago, retread said:
Shitload of fertilizer.

I was wondering if they were loaded. Yeah you don't dump all that nitrogen and phosphorus in the water if you can avoid it.

1) there was no avoiding it.  It was going in the drink one way or the other.

2) well then, it wouldn't have taken a big bomb at all.  Shit, these things were the Grandcamp II waiting to happen.  Just toss a satchel charge or two on board and BUG THE HELL OUT.  Boom.  Barge problem solved.

2 minutes ago, Parliament said:
53 minutes ago, retread said:
Shitload of fertilizer.

I was wondering if they were loaded. Yeah you don't dump all that nitrogen and phosphorus in the water if you can avoid it.

Yeah, don't think it would react well with explosives...and those loads going in the water are probably going to really fuck up that river.  I caught a lot of catfish in that area (closer to Muskogee).

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, don't think it would react well with explosives...and those loads going in the water are probably going to really fuck up that river.  I caught a lot of catfish in that area (closer to Muskogee).

There's so much water moving so fast that those loads won't be a blip to the river itself.  Now, where they eventually drop out and settle...that's not going to be helpful.

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

[No CR] Oh no.  We might not have a functioning government.  What ever will we do.

Could be the first time a tornado improves the state of the country. [ /No CR]

Um, is your contention that clearing Oklahoma of rabble does nothing to improve the state of our country? Because they have a long and distinguished history of that very thing.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Travis Meyer is amazing.  He's juggling like half a dozen storm trackers all at once and is flipping through various radar/sensor images like it's nothing.  I know he's got a big-ass map and has people talking into his earpiece, but he's just not stumbling, and he probably has very little sleep in the past 24 hours.

He was cool as a cucumber wasn't he? I thought it was funny how he signed off with each chaser. Not in a dismissive/bad way at all. But they'd be talking about how they were going to try to get in front of the storm, etc., and he was like 'okay, I'm gonna let you go.'

The fertilizer in there is not the kind that explodes. And as bad as it is in water, yeah. Plenty of water to dilute it.

8 minutes ago, Parliament said:
3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

The fertilizer in there is not the kind that explodes. And as bad as it is in water, yeah. Plenty of water to dilute it.

Heck, those river banks will remain lush and green for centuries because of it!

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2019/05/24/ark-encounter-owners-sue-over-rain-damage/1220627001/?fbclid=IwAR3ML6nati5uOlXaQrYZP2Eq4-791gKZEIxb73LNGsOGol3pfDzbkLbZKWc

The owner of the life-size replica of Noah’s Ark in Northern Kentucky has sued its insurers for refusing to cover, of all things … rain damage.

Ark Encounter, which unveiled the 510-foot-long model in 2016, says that heavy rains in 2017 and 2018 caused a landslide on its access road, and its five insurance carriers refused to cover nearly $1 million in damages.

In a 77-page lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court, Ark Encounter asks for compensatory and punitive damages.

The ark itself was not damaged and the road has been rebuilt, according to the suit.

The park is open, said Melany Ethridge, a spokeswoman at the attraction’s Dallas-based public relations firm, who only laughed when informed that Ark Encounter had sued over flood damage.

"You got to get to the boat to be on the boat," she said.