2019 Rain Thread

Biff Tannen

Not really needing an update but what the hell:

This is our weather right now:
current+map.png

There is a big high that's set up in the SE U.S.  This is completely a summer pattern - only the high is east of where it usually sets up, which is over us.  But this explains a few things (below).  This high is going to cause the SE cities under it (in VA, NC, SC, GA, AL, MS, and parts of LA, AR, and TN) to have record or near-record temps this weekend (highs low-mid 90's).  This is because if you remember a strong high causes air to sink and completely blocks any storm/rain development.  This sinking air dries out and heats up - ergo HOT summer weather.

The other aspect of this type of strong high is that there's often a "ring of storms" around it (the arrows) (which is why in a typical summer you look at Texas and storms develop all around it while Texas sits and bakes in the middle of the "ring".  The Atlantic/Gulf E and S sides of this high are over cooler (than land) Gulf waters, which is why actually there isn't much storm development - because cooler surface doesn't have hot, dry air rising.  But the W and N sides of this do develop, and this is the primary reason why the Central Plains has been no-lubed the past few days with bad storms and flooding.  The edge of the high, where it meets the lows, creates turbulence and storms fire up - but the high itself acts as a block and since this air is denser, the less dense lows move up and around it.   Also, any clouds/rain that do try to plunge through the high just evaporate.  Now THAT'S a REAL forcefield!

This is why all the storms forming out in West Texas and flooding Lubbock and the Panhandle haven't made it here (unlike early May).  The high just fizzles them out when they ride along the Dry Line in the day.  Usually that Dry Line would make it to and past Austin, but not with this big summer high shredding it.

The "good" thing I guess is that we're on the fringe, and not in the middle of this high.  It's resulting in only slightly above normal temps for us, and a dry weekend.  The temps in the SE U.S. will be about what ours are, but for them, that's a lot warmer than they're used to - usually they're 5-10 degrees under us on average for the summer.  So we'll sort of bake but not really.  Plus the high is bringing a lot of SE Gulf air up, which feels shitty (humidity) but remains relatively cooler than that awful S/SW airflow in the height of the summer.  So I guess it could be worse.  Also, the high could easily shift west over us, and then we'd actually see temps in the mid or upper 90s - pretty nasty for this time of year, even with the very wet ground which tends to keep temps down (if the ground wasn't so drenched and this high moved over us, we'd easily crack 100 now, blech!).

Anyway this high is actually forecast to break down a bit, not move west, so the rain is sort of back in the picture after Memorial Day.  More on that then, nothing severe or beyond mild.  But yeah, this weekend is more of a summer one for us, though temps will stay down due to the wet ground.  But as long as it sits there the places in the country that have been having terrible weather are vulnerable to have more - for at least 3 more days or so.

Back next week if the rain is enough to give a shit (which now it looks farily spotty and not all that likely over your head).

So anyway, it's raining on the radar.  Tiny pockets and scattered, but spread across much of the area.  A lot of yellow and red spots (like your mom?), not just the green sprinkles.

Edited by clapclapclap
Wasn't supposed to happen, but Memorial Day weekend gonna Memorial Day weekend.

Yeah, the soupy showers are actually party of this dealie in the mornings - very scattered, brief popcorn things.  That's what I said about being at this location west of the high - it brings in very moist Gulf air and the showers simply happen due to condensation over land.  However these are not dinural (i.e. daytime heated) things that grow to bigass thunder-rain.  Just passing sprinkles which rarely amount to more than .10" a day, but which ain't bad.  They'll always burn off after lunch.

Hell, if we lived on this part of the high all summer, we'd have a pretty lush summer.

Relative had a tornado a half-mile away near Broken Arrow earlier tonight.  They were able to see it with the lightning flashes.  

Some hotel in El Reno was flattened and they’ve apparently been pulling bodies and wounded out.  

I know we are the Australia of America, with all of the wildlife here in Texas than wants to fuck you up, but we should pass that title to Oklahoma.  I’ll take my chances with spiders, snakes, fire ants, the occasional mountain lion, etc. over a fucking tornado.  

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

Isn't El Reno where that storm chaser was killed a few years back? Some of those towns in Oklahoma are fucking cursed (Moore I'm looking at you)

2013 had four chasers killed in El Reno and Mike Bettis and The Weather Channel Crew had their SUV flipped for 200 yards   Bettis got out of the hardcore tornado chasing business after that   Still don’t know how he and those guys walked away from this:

10 hours ago, Dilligas said:

Had some ball clouds this afternoon SW of Sonora coming out of Mexico (need the wall!) that were really cool looking until my buddy said they're usually associated with tornadic activity.

Mammatus clouds?  </your mom joke>

Creepy.  Saw them in Austin ~ 1990 and yep, it was tornado weather, although I don't think any touched down in the city proper.

Image result for mammatus clouds

Edited by jimmyjazz

On 5/26/2019 at 2:28 PM, clapclapclap said:

If you like tornadoes, last week was your week.

D7VL6y3W0AAqe7a.jpg

Also:

So I was in OKC area this past weekend for son's baseball tournament, staying in Norman (which sucked of course).  Long story short we had a 10:45 game in Choctaw (east of OKC) due to crazy scheduling trying to get something in based on rain from night before when all the shit spun up west of town.  Needless to say that game did not go down but for grins we got to run head long into the line of storms that produced this tornado when driving back to Norman...I've never had quite the oh shit moment in weather when that wind hit my truck.  It wasn't tornadic at that point obviously but wow it was a motherfucker.  Then less than 2 minutes later gone, and just rain like it was being dumped out of a massive bucket.

No baseball was played...Oklahoma sucks, film at 11. 

Edited by Surly Bevo

3 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

So I was in OKC area this past weekend for son's baseball tournament, staying in Norman (which sucked of course).  Long story short we had a 10:45 game in Choctaw (east of OKC) due to crazy scheduling trying to get something in based on rain from night before when all the shit spun up west of town.  Needless to say that game did not go down but for grins we got to run head long into the line of storms that produced this tornado when driving back to Norman...I've never had quite the oh shit moment in weather when that wind hit my truck.  It wasn't tornadic at that point obviously but wow it was a motherfucker.  Then less than 2 minutes later gone, and just rain like it was being dumped out of a massive bucket.

No baseball was played...Oklahoma sucks, film at 11. 

On 5/24/2019 at 6:12 PM, EMAWesome said:

Flash flood emergency for Wichita now.  My hometown just reported 3.5 inches of rain in a hour and there was another report of two inches of rain in half an hour.

If Wichita floods we're all fucked.  City planners were smart enough to build a spillway back in the 70's and even though the river is way higher than normal, the spillway is only at 25% capacity.  Good for us, fuck the rest of you downstream.  There's a select few areas that flood every single time because they are too low compared to the surrounding area, but other than that, zero issues.

On 5/26/2019 at 8:56 PM, NorthLoop said:

Isn't El Reno where that storm chaser was killed a few years back? Some of those towns in Oklahoma are fucking cursed (Moore I'm looking at you)

Oklahoma is cursed for being a bunch a fucking cheaters imo