2019 Rain Thread

Biff Tannen

Spring Branch, TX

Damn, I was sitting on my back porch a little while ago enjoying the peace and quiet while I worked when the temperature suddenly dropped and this thunderstorm blew in and tore shit up.

My cat looked like this while trying to run inside.

ImprobableNippyGalapagossealion-small.gi

4 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Traffic lights were out at braker/mopac causing a delightful shitshow of traffic. 

Is there any reason (beyond ineptitude/stupidity) that I literally never see APD directing traffic in these situations?

Dude.  If the traffic is moving at a crawl, why would they bother?  They can't write speeding tickets when it's all backed up.  Think.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, F250 said:

Spring Branch, TX

Damn, I was sitting on my back porch a little while ago enjoying the peace and quiet while I worked when the temperature suddenly dropped and this thunderstorm blew in and tore shit up.

My cat looked like this while trying to run inside.

ImprobableNippyGalapagossealion-small.gi

Your cat looks like a cow? Might want to get that checked out.

• Like 3

I’ve killed like 100 millipedes a day for the last 5-6 days in my house. I’m on a green belt and this isn’t just brutal.

Pest control came out and basically said it’s just bad luck that perfect conditions for them and they can spray but basically just need to wait out the wet weather and let the summer sun kill them

Just had a not so fun microburst roll through Dallas. Power out everywhere, trees down, streets blocked. Fun times. Lasted about 10 minutes. 60 mph winds, waterfalls of rain, hail, trees blowing about. 

Edited by mdmost

Started a new thread, this is a big deal and someone should go to jail.  But they probably won't.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/06/09/dfw-weather-damage-reported-throughout-north-texas-as-severe-storms-move-through/#.XP17dj4RwoM.twitter

1 dead, 2 critical, 3 seriously injured.

dallas3.jpg?w=550&h=308

dallas2.jpg?w=550&h=308

D8pmStvWwAAHP1-.jpg

Edited by clapclapclap

Update:

Making this semi-quick:
- Hot day (100°+) and a very rare strong cold front = lots of variance between warm/hot air masses.
- this is a no-brainer for severe weather possibility, so a severe thunderstorm watch in effect now thru about 10.
- bulk of storms will go through 8-10 p.m. or so, these are coming almost from due north (moving a bit SE).
- right now radar shows big ass storm that will probably miss Austin to the east; but line will probably form/fill in between now and then, and with this heat, severe can spin up quickly.
- high winds the main culprit, some hail, tornadic activity probably nah.  Storms have had history of high winds and small hail, but not that damaging so far.

- Then a really deep cold front will hit... temps tomorrow will hit about 82°.  Temps on Tuesday will barely make mid-70's.  Yup, mid-70's.

Summer was here this weekend, but it ain't parked its ass yet.  (BTW, weather after this cold spell, and it is a rare cold spell this late in the year, will be seasonal, temps about 91°-93° the rest of week, normal now is 91°.)

1 minute ago, texhorn said:

looks like that rotation is headed your way phd 

Right now it should go west of me by about 10 miles.  They can still mess shit up even if nothing drops.

3 tornado warnings right now, 2 west of Austin, 1 east.  Hang on for another hour..

Crazy watching the Tech/Okie State game and some of the fans and umps are in long sleeve shirts. It’s fricken June 9 and they should be dehydrated like the rest of us.

Meanwhile down here in South Texas we’ve had three consecutive days of 100-110 temps with heat indexes sometimes reaching the 120 range or above.