2019 Rain Thread

Biff Tannen

Dude, why didn’t you say fuck it earlier & just get a car and drive?

Would have but it’s been constant trickles of change for hours...gate change here, delay there, now our plane is broken...

Friends of ours just had to divert to Killeen as it’s still rough at ABIA.

47 minutes ago, Austinvines said:

Hey PhD,

That storm just pushed through from the north and heading south in a hurry. After it slacked off, we left our friends’ house and just saw the flags at an apt complex flying straight north. Why do it do that?

Yup.  WIfe and I took a walk and the winds were coming fast from the south.  That's a good indication of how strong these storms are... it's the downdraft coming out and whooshing back north.  That's not too common really.

4 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Yup.  WIfe and I took a walk and the winds were coming fast from the south.  That's a good indication of how strong these storms are... it's the downdraft coming out and whooshing back north.  That's not too common really.

Saw same thing here. 

Here in Georgetown, I went out to light the grill and heard the tornado sirens go off
The wind picked up
a727aba91f7e46cfd54cc85857a8ceec.jpg
Then it rained for maybe 5 minutes and went around us
So that was good, no hail or flying cows
But sure could’ve used a little water on the grass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Homercles said:

DFW airport is an absolute cluster. We had 5 gate changes, touring terminals A, C, and D today...the concourses were a constantly swirling sea of people, everyone we talked to had at least two gate changes. I’m used to delays, cancellations, etc with bad weather here but I’ve never seen the sheer number of gate changes people are being out through.

Been here since 1230p waiting to catch our flight to Austin. Starting to wonder if it’s just going to get canceled.

Isn't that how flying through Dallas is every summer?

Isn't that how flying through Dallas is every summer?

We were all ready to board when our plane went tech. Ended up renting a car and got back to Austin about 2a. All the morning flights are looking to get canceled, AA rebooked us...for Tuesday afternoon.

And yeah I know DFW shuts down regularly for storms, it was the constant trickle of delays that screwed us over...30m delay here, gate change there, then finally the broken plane at 10p.

13 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I live in NW Dallas. Was up in the Frisco area when the storm started rolling in. That was one of the fastest, nastiest, non-tornado storms I’ve ever seen. There were two 60 foot trees toppled over in my neighborhood and probably 15 smaller trees destroyed when I got home (sat out the storm in a parking garage thankfully). 

Yep I was at my girlfriend's house off DNT/Frankford. It got dark all of a sudden. Didn't think much of it. Went to my car to make sure my windows were rolled up and that is when the wind picked up rapidly. I hurried back to the house and then the sky dropped up. Rain whipping all over the place and strong winds (confirmed about 71mph). It lasted about 20-25min. I honestly didn't think a lot of the storm being inside the house and viewing it. I mean I know it was strong but no idea the winds got as high as they did and all the damage it did. We lost power instantly. Was out about 6 hours. Driving around North Dallas was pretty surreal. So many downed trees. Every traffic light out. Power out everywhere. And seeing so many videos and pics all around the area of the damage. I drive down Preston to get home (from Campbell all the way to 635) and it was eerie as fuck. No power at all. No lights, no traffic lights working. It was like driving in the end of times.

14 hours ago, Welch said:

San Antonio’s force field appears to be engaged and I couldn’t be happier.  Don’t need any of that craziness.

Not me. Blew a part of my fence down. Snapped the post flush with the ground. It was time, but I wish it wasn't Sunday night going into Monday. Won't be able to fix it until Saturday.

tree fell down on my parent's electric line into the house. The City won't reconnect power until an inspector comes out and they're saying it could be a few weeks before one can get out there. So that's pretty fun for them. My sister and brother in Dallas both also lost power yesterday, but I think theirs has since been reconnected.

8 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

tree fell down on my parent's electric line into the house. The City won't reconnect power until an inspector comes out and they're saying it could be a few weeks before one can get out there. So that's pretty fun for them. My sister and brother in Dallas both also lost power yesterday, but I think theirs has since been reconnected.

That happened to me a few years ago and I ended up not having electricity for three weeks - the weekend of the Wimberly flood. The inspector had said my system no longer met the new codes and would have to be replaced in its entirety. That sucked.

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep I was at my girlfriend's house off DNT/Frankford. It got dark all of a sudden. Didn't think much of it. Went to my car to make sure my windows were rolled up and that is when the wind picked up rapidly. I hurried back to the house and then the sky dropped up. Rain whipping all over the place and strong winds (confirmed about 71mph). It lasted about 20-25min. I honestly didn't think a lot of the storm being inside the house and viewing it. I mean I know it was strong but no idea the winds got as high as they did and all the damage it did. We lost power instantly. Was out about 6 hours. Driving around North Dallas was pretty surreal. So many downed trees. Every traffic light out. Power out everywhere. And seeing so many videos and pics all around the area of the damage. I drive down Preston to get home (from Campbell all the way to 635) and it was eerie as fuck. No power at all. No lights, no traffic lights working. It was like driving in the end of times.

All I could think about was "this guy leaves his windows down sometimes?"

One of my wife's friends said a tornado went over their house (without touching down) out by Liberty Hill yesterday and posted a bunch of pics of trees down or with their tops snapped off.

A fireworks stand out by us near 973/969 got snapped off of its secured base and flipped over and broken in half.

Still no power here in Richardson. Oncor can't give an estimate on power restoration at this time, so we're just crossing our fingers. I only opened my freezer once to stick a probe thermometer in and it's still under 30F after 30 hours offline. Hopefully things come back online before we have to start emptying it.

12 hours ago, fuggled said:

Still no power here in Richardson. Oncor can't give an estimate on power restoration at this time, so we're just crossing our fingers. I only opened my freezer once to stick a probe thermometer in and it's still under 30F after 30 hours offline. Hopefully things come back online before we have to start emptying it.

I'd be buying a shit-ton of ice.  We can get 16 lb bags for $1 at certain gas station kiosks here in Austin -- I assume the same for the Dallas area.  (Of course, if there's no room in the freezer for the ice, then that's a problem.)  Hope your power flips on soon.