2019 Rain Thread

Biff Tannen

Power came back a couple hours ago. Everything in the freezer is still good.

Funny thing about the generator comments...I ran into a neighbor at dinner tonight. He was joking about how he bought a generator 6 years ago after the ice-pocalypse in Dallas. This was the first time he's gotten to use it. I don't think it's something I can justify keeping around.

Update:
1) Happy Father's Day!
2) Obviously DFW getting analed right now.  What about us?  Yeah, chance of a strong line coming in after sunset, probably after dark.  Check the radar.  Disturbance moving through with hot temps today no doubt some of these storms will build, some severe.  More later after about 8 or so when radar picks em up more better.

Outta here around midnight, we'll see about damage.  The ones in Dallas are pretty nasty right now, 70mph winds and quarter-size hail.  North of us in enhanced risk, we're on the border.  Definitely see some storms going through, but hopefully they'll get less nasty with the sunset having occurred by the time they get here.  We'll see.

Holy shite. Had a lightning strike that took out both my DTV receivers and 3 TVs. Must have hit the antenna or the tree next to it. Saw a small softball sized fireball with an M80 pop in the den. Almost spilled my drink.

Almost.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RPM said:

Holy shite. Had a lightning strike that took out both my DTV receivers and 3 TVs. Must have hit the antenna or the tree next to it. Saw a small softball sized fireball with an M80 pop in the den. Almost spilled my drink.

Almost.

Did not spill drink?  

HERO! :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RPM said:

Almost.

trailer park boys pemberton GIF

• Like 1

Never listened to the weather lady on the Spectrum News channel before.  My god, what a moron.  She's said twice that if you can hear thunder, you're close enough to get hit by lightning.  She also recommended that people put on their bicycle helmets and get to a safe place inside their homes.  No shit.

Never listened to the weather lady on the Spectrum News channel before.  My god, what a moron.  She's said twice that if you can hear thunder, you're close enough to get hit by lightning.  She also recommended that people put on their bicycle helmets and get to a safe place inside their homes.  No shit.
Alright skewer me if deserved, but what's wrong with what she said?

8 hours ago, gsoda3 said:
9 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Putting on a bicycle helmet is a sign of weakness, especially when riding a bicycle. At least that's what Fox News said.

• Like 3

Got a little cluster moving S/SE west of town (yeah, that's why it looks so ominous out to the west).  Nothing severe, actually I could use it in The Cave, didn't get much at all last night (we were in a definite donut hole).  This one mostly Blanco, some Western Travis., but looks like it could skirt the south end of town over the next hour.

Enjoy this shit because the burners go on this week.  Triple digit for the first time, which actually is pretty fucking good for where we are in the year.

56 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Got a little cluster moving S/SE west of town (yeah, that's why it looks so ominous out to the west).  Nothing severe, actually I could use it in The Cave, didn't get much at all last night (we were in a definite donut hole).  This one mostly Blanco, some Western Travis., but looks like it could skirt the south end of town over the next hour.

Enjoy this shit because the burners go on this week.  Triple digit for the first time, which actually is pretty fucking good for where we are in the year.

So you finally admit that the FF does exists and it cockblocked you?

16 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

So you finally admit that the FF does exists and it cockblocked you?

Yes, the forcefield means I didn't get any rain no matter who else did.  It's actually in effect for about 300 days each year for most of us!

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, gsoda3 said:
13 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Nothing, it's all accurate.  TA talking shit.

17 hours ago, gsoda3 said:
18 hours ago, TexArcher said:

4 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Nothing, it's all accurate.  TA talking shit.

Well, first of all, you can hear thunder from at least 20 miles away and probably a lot more.  The fact that you're hearing thunder does not necessarily mean you're close enough to be struck by lightning.  That's absurd.

And the hunker-down-in-the-shower-with-bike-helmets stuff would have been alarmist even for the people in Taylor at that moment, not to mention the other 98% of the viewing area.  This overacting chick sounded like the apocalypse had come for us all.  I've heard cooler heads during actual hurricanes in Houston.

Actually up to 30 miles.  But the chances of that happening are... as great as any one person being struck by lightning!

I mean, "if you can hear thunder, you can get struck by lightning" is not a great way to determine whether you can get struck by lightning.  But I guess it's one way.

As for the Spectrum chick, since I ditched cable 3 years ago of course I don't see them any more, so I don't really know how it went down, but you can say the right things in the wrong way.  Seems like this is one of those times.

I mean reporters during cold snaps put up ingenious bullet point graphics like "stay indoors", "wear protective clothing against the cold", and "if you're cold, go inside," so I imagine it's not much of a step to put up bullet points about what to do in tornadoes/hurricanes/T-storms, etc.  And to a degree it (I guess, sigh) could be useful.

But not during a fucking warning, I mean that's not going to help reduce panic... "PUT ON A HELMET BECAUSE A 2X4 IS BARRELLING DOWN READY TO BISECT YOUR SKULL!" isn't like real smart.  Even Jimmy Boy has toned it down from his younger years (maybe more by frequency than degree, but it's a start).  However if she was calm I guess that's okay.

But honestly, if anyone seriously doesn't know by now to run into a protected room, throw a mattress or something over you, and yes, even put on a helmet, then I guess we're doomed sooner or later anyway.  In any event, no sense to send petrified Aunt Em out to the garage looking for a helmet when she should be inside.  So there is a right message at the wrong time.

5 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Well, first of all, you can hear thunder from at least 20 miles away and probably a lot more.  The fact that you're hearing thunder does not necessarily mean you're close enough to be struck by lightning.  That's absurd.

And the hunker-down-in-the-shower-with-bike-helmets stuff would have been alarmist even for the people in Taylor at that moment, not to mention the other 98% of the viewing area.  This overacting chick sounded like the apocalypse had come for us all.  I've heard cooler heads during actual hurricanes in Houston.

gotcha.

the funny thing is we just had that conversation with our kids (between 2 and 8 years old) and those two points were touched on.  they remembered a tornado episode where we had to go to the inner most room with bike helmets on and then they wondered how far lightning could strike and why their soccer games had to be cancelled when they couldn't see lightning.  

On 6/18/2019 at 4:47 AM, mulletpelini said:

I didn't say it was likely, but it is possible.

Been watching the storm that was coming here from Colorado all night but its dying out quickly.  I noticed you've got a pretty damn big storm barreling down on DFW.  Hopefully it only has morning fuck energy when it gets there

I have the most energy for morning fucks. Why are you wishing death upon our DFW brethren? 

Next chance of rain about Monday.  The shit coming in from N and W almost will never make it here.  The stuff yesterday tried but fizzled out about 15 miles west of Austin.  The stuff tonight, meh, never really challenged S. Central TX.

It's late June, summer.  I.e. don't expect a lot of weather from the north and west.