2019 Rain Thread

Biff Tannen

13+ inches of rain Harlingen just tonight with more to come.  I don’t live there anymore but reports from family and friends are about something extraordinary and dangerous.  My sister’s place is about to flood for the first time  

1 hour ago, DFWTexEx said:

13+ inches of rain Harlingen just tonight with more to come.  I don’t live there anymore but reports from family and friends are about something extraordinary and dangerous.  My sister’s place is about to flood for the first time  

I was digging trenches in my yard to try and deflect water away from my patio and starting to move all my furniture into different parts of my house. Never seen anything like this, about 13 inches in 4.5 hours, the water missed coming into the house by 1/4 inch.

Edited by Walte464
  • Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, Walte464 said:

I was digging trenches in my yard to try and deflect water away from my patio and starting to move all my furniture into different parts of my house. Never seen anything like this, about 13 inches in 4.5 hours, the water missed coming into the house by 1/4 inch.

Glad you missed it.  We once got 5 inches in an hour.  It was a freak show of rain... 11" in that night (not to mention what Harvey did) but I was feeling for y'all yesterday.

From KRGV:

IT WAS THE PERFECT STORM...What happened yesterday? Far more rain fell than was anticipated. This is because an exceptionally rare event occurred in the atmosphere. Two separate areas of strong storms ran into each other at the same time in the same place, right over the RGV. The first area was expected. Storms from Mexico moved in from the west. The second area of storms from the north was not expected. These storms started Sunday morning along a cold front in Oklahoma. Every computer model said these storms would fall apart before arriving in the Valley, but the very hot and humid air across South Texas kept them alive against all odds. Once the two areas of storms collided, they stalled out and poured. Our fate was sealed.

To say it is exceptionally rare to see extreme flooding like this in back to back years is an understatement. No one alive today can remember this happening before in the Valley. Flood events that used to occur every hundred years or so are sadly becoming more common.

I've been out of the loop the past few days (had to go to DFW and do some other shit).
But I can tell you this:  

It's been wet.
And it's not been 100° yet officially in Austin.

(Good chance of afternoon seabreeze showers today, then a few drier days, then a good chance of sporadic weekend rain, then briefly dry early next workweek and then some more rain chances.)

Although there is maybe one day early next week that it could finally happen, nothing yet in the forecast for a 100° day in the next 7.

Heady days, my friends, these are heady days.

From KRGV:

IT WAS THE PERFECT STORM...What happened yesterday? Far more rain fell than was anticipated. This is because an exceptionally rare event occurred in the atmosphere. Two separate areas of strong storms ran into each other at the same time in the same place, right over the RGV. The first area was expected. Storms from Mexico moved in from the west. The second area of storms from the north was not expected. These storms started Sunday morning along a cold front in Oklahoma. Every computer model said these storms would fall apart before arriving in the Valley, but the very hot and humid air across South Texas kept them alive against all odds. Once the two areas of storms collided, they stalled out and poured. Our fate was sealed.

To say it is exceptionally rare to see extreme flooding like this in back to back years is an understatement. No one alive today can remember this happening before in the Valley. Flood events that used to occur every hundred years or so are sadly becoming more common.

We’ll have to check the record books for the previous 4.5 billion years to confirm.

25 minutes ago, Hate said:

We’ll have to check the record books for the previous 4.5 billion years to confirm.

I think three billion years ago it was exactly the same thing except that it was lava and volcanic ash.

3 billion or 6,000 or whatever it takes...

4th Really Premli... er, Preminil... er, Early Weather Look In Tarzanese:

- Tomorrow like today, some rain come
- Next 4 days get dry, sun come out more, rain go away
- Next Monday up to 4th:  Rain come back more, better chance each day, Fourth July much rain among people, not all people.

In "you pay $500 per word to post here" lingo:
- Wet tomorrow, then dry, then next week wetter each day.

So yeah, it's probably gonna rain somewhere on the 4th.

I will not be in town/county/state/country after Thursday until the 9th, I will be indisposed and probably drunk on a boat (NOT a fucking cruise ship for God's sakes!) for almost a week straight, where no man nor INternet has gone before,5 year mission or not.  So youz might be on youz own..

"To say it is exceptionally rare to see extreme flooding like this in back to back years is an understatement. No one alive today can remember this happening before in the Valley. Flood events that used to occur every hundred years or so are sadly becoming more common."

The story of Houston over the past few years :( 

On 6/25/2019 at 7:49 PM, DFWTexEx said:

From KRGV:

This is because an exceptionally rare event occurred in the atmosphere. Two separate areas of strong storms ran into each other at the same time in the same place, right over the RGV. 

But is it more rare than two storms running into each other at different times and in different places?