2019 Texas Softball - Connie's overboard, Anchors Aweigh!

TrashMaster G

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So with Texas as the 9 seed, is it still possible for the Horns to host a Super Regional if a Top 8 seed loses it's regional??

Yeah has to be the top 8 we are paired with. There’s no reseeding. Exactly like baseball. 

If I had to make guesses right now:

#1 Norman Regional - OU sweeps, though Wisconsin and ND could make a game close
#16 Evanston Regional - Northwestern wins 3-0

#2 LA Regional - UCLA sweeps
#15 Michigan Regional - ooh this is tough.  I think James Madison upsets Blue in a game 7

#3 Seattle Regional - UW sweeps
#14 Kentucky Regional - Kentucky wins in 7, VT makes it interesting (only 9 losses on the year)

#4 FSU Regional - oh this is really tough for FSU with South Florida and South Carolina, but they survive
#13 Stillwater Regional - Give me OSU in a game 7 versus Arkansas to win it

#5 Gainesville Regional - UF sweeps
#12 Knoxville Regional - Tennessee sweeps

#6 Tucson Regional - Arizona sweeps
#11 Oxford Regional - ULL takes it in a game 7

#7 Minneapolis Regional - we get an epic game 7 between Minnesota and Georgia but the home team takes it
#10 Baton Rouge Regional - Texas Tech takes it in a game 7

#8 Tuscaloosa Regional - Bama sweeps
#9 Austin Regional - Texas SHOULD sweep but may get forced into a game 7 with Houston

SUPERS:

OU - Northwestern: OU 2-0
UCLA-James Madison - UCLA 2-0
UW-Kentucky - UW 2-0
FSU-OSU - FSU 2-1
Arizona-ULL - Arizona 2-0
Minnesota-Texas Tech - Minny 2-1
Alabama-Texas - unfortunately I think Bama wins 2-0

10 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

Only if Alabama loses. 

Would not count on that. The Bama team is kinda pissed right now. They got seeded behind a team(Florida) they swept in their home stadium and lost 1 game by a 2-1 score(in the tourney final game), another  team they beat on the road OOC(Arizona) and a team they beat in both games played at home(Minnesota). They are playing into the whole #8 thing also, as they were picked preseason to finish 8th in the SEC, while they ended up winning the conference by 4 games. Now that may wear off by the Super but I would not bet on them losing the regional.

The selection committee RPI used has Texas 7 and Minnesota 9.

FUCK GOD DAMNIT why did we lose to ISU? That was the difference. 

Otherwise - 

OU - RPI 1, seeded 1 (--)
UCLA - RPI 5, seeded 2 (adjusted +3)
Washington, RPI 2, seeded 3 (-1)
FSU - RPI 4, seeded 4 (--)
Florida - RPI 6, seeded 5 (+1)
Arizona - RPI 3, seeded 6 (-3)
Minnesota - RPI 9, seeded 7 (+2)
Alabama - RPI 8, seeded 8 (--)
Texas - RPI 7, seeded 9 (-2)
LSU - RPI 10, seeded 10 (--)
Ole Miss - RPI 18, seeded 11 (!!) (+7)
Tennessee - RPI 15, seeded 12 (-3)
OSU - RPI 14, seeded 13 (+1)
Kentucky - RPI 16, seeded 14 (+2)
Michigan - RPI 12, seeded 15 (-3)
Northwestern - RPI 11, seeded 16 (-5)

So 7/8 top seeds were seeded within the top 8
15/16 national seeds were within the top 16

Most egregious adjustments was Northwestern getting knocked down 5 spots and Ole Miss getting bumped up 7 spots. 

On 5/10/2019 at 4:19 PM, bschoolprof said:

what the fuck has happened to our hitting???

On 5/11/2019 at 10:48 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

I'm not liking our momentum going into the tourney. A game against a scrub might have been a good thing, but then again, we might have lost it...

The above !

Very concerning.     And Shea's health...and mental approach.    She has not looked confident in her recent limited appearances.

4 minutes ago, torre said:

The above !

Very concerning.     And Shea's health...and mental approach.    She has not looked confident in her recent limited appearances.

Shae since coming back after the OU series:

Baylor - 3 IP, 2 H, 2 K, 1 BB
KU - 1 IP, 1 H, 2 K
OSU - 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB
ISU - 2.2 IP, 4 H, 3 K

Total since coming back: 10 IP, 8 H, 7 K, 2 BB

I'm concerned about our hitting and if Elish is worn down.  But not playing Saturday gave Shae (and Elish) an extra 7 days of rest. Hoping her and Parker are fully healthy and ready to go this weekend. 

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, bamachine said:

Would not count on that. The Bama team is kinda pissed right now. They got seeded behind a team(Florida) they swept in their home stadium and lost 1 game by a 2-1 score(in the tourney final game), another  team they beat on the road OOC(Arizona) and a team they beat in both games played at home(Minnesota). They are playing into the whole #8 thing also, as they were picked preseason to finish 8th in the SEC, while they ended up winning the conference by 4 games. Now that may wear off by the Super but I would not bet on them losing the regional.

I never said they’d lose

14 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I love how nearly every regional has an SEC team in it. Nice how the committee split them up so nicely.

All 13 SEC teams made it again (Vandy doesn't play softball)

Only 2 top 8 seeds - I'm sure it broke their heart they couldn't fit one more in there

Only 6 of 16 hosts are SEC - big surprise (league is very meh outside of Bama but also Big 12 (Texas/OSU) and B1G (Michigan/NW) had good years and the Pac 12 was VERY good at the top)

One guaranteed SEC team to make the WCWS if regional hosts win (Florida/Tenn super regional)

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, Pancho Negro said:

I never said they’d lose

I know, just used it as an excuse to show how screwed up the selection process cam be. Probably does not matter, if they can make it to the WCWS, likely get wiped by OU. Fuck them and their sudden emergence into both gymnastics and softball.

Just now, bamachine said:

I know, just used it as an excuse to show how screwed up the selection process cam be. Probably does not matter, if they can make it to the WCWS, likely get wiped by OU. Fuck them and their sudden emergence into both gymnastics and softball.

When you look at the teams ahead of Bama (5, 6, 7 as I think the top 4 were pretty much locked in most of the season) it looks like it came down to SOS -

#5 Florida - #3 SOS
#6 Arizona - #2 SOS
#7 Minnesota - #8 SOS
#8 Alabama - #25 SOS

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

When you look at the teams ahead of Bama (5, 6, 7 as I think the top 4 were pretty much locked in most of the season) it looks like it came down to SOS -

#5 Florida - #3 SOS
#6 Arizona - #2 SOS
#7 Minnesota - #8 SOS
#8 Alabama - #25 SOS

I could totally get that, if Bama had not been 6-1 against those three. 5 of which were on the road. If it had been a bit more split, no issue at all, say they went 4-3 instead, losing one to each.

Edited to add...

versus top 10

• Alabama 9-1
  • UCLA 7-2
  • FSU 5-2
  • Okla 4-2
  • Fla 7-8
  • Wash 3-4
  • Ariz 4-9
  • Minn 1-6
Edited by bamachine

7 minutes ago, bamachine said:

I could totally get that, if Bama had not been 6-1 against those three. 5 of which were on the road. If it had been a bit more split, no issue at all, say they went 4-3 instead, losing one to each.

Not sure the committee explicitly takes into account H2H results from non-conference games.  I understand the gripe with Florida at #5, they got a yuge bump for winning the SEC tournament. 

Friday - UH vs. A&M 1pm; SHSU vs. Texas 4pm

Saturday: Winner's Bracket Game 1pm; Loser's Bracket Game 3:30pm; Elimination Game 6pm

Sunday: Regional Championship Game 3:30pm; Game 7 (if necessary) 6pm

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Shae since coming back after the OU series:

Baylor - 3 IP, 2 H, 2 K, 1 BB
KU - 1 IP, 1 H, 2 K
OSU - 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB
ISU - 2.2 IP, 4 H, 3 K

Total since coming back: 10 IP, 8 H, 7 K, 2 BB

I'm concerned about our hitting and if Elish is worn down.  But not playing Saturday gave Shae (and Elish) an extra 7 days of rest. Hoping her and Parker are fully healthy and ready to go this weekend. 

No doubt Texas hitters need to break out of their current slumps, but also executing advancing runners thru bunts, SACflys, and hitting the ball behind runners would really help the Horns offense.....

The best pitching performance for Elish might have been the first 5 or 6 innings vs blOU in Game 1 of that series.   Shea is still missing her spots and seems to have less movement..... hope the break really helps Shea and Miranda..... 🤘

On 5/13/2019 at 12:48 PM, Js1 said:

Friday - UH vs. A&M 1pm; SHSU vs. Texas 4pm

Saturday: Winner's Bracket Game 1pm; Loser's Bracket Game 3:30pm; Elimination Game 6pm

Sunday: Regional Championship Game 3:30pm; Game 7 (if necessary) 6pm

Saturday weather may be dicey...

Heavy rain forecasted throughout the day

NFCA All-Central (prelude to All American):

Iakopo - First Team
Elish - First Team
Janae - Second Team

If I was guessing AA, all 3 will be All-Americans on some list.  Probably Mary and Elish on 2nd and Janae on HM. 

Weather in May is unpredictable,   but I hope the NCAA moves the Regional Day 2 to Sunday.    Though  there is a chance the games could be played late Saturday,  nothing is worse than stopping/starting a game,  players having to warmup again, etc.    Guess is they will try to play the winner's bracket game from Day 1 late Saturday and possibly game 2.

https://weather.com/weather/5day/l/7472a7bbd3a7454aadf596f0ba7dc8b08987b1f7581fae69d8817dffffc487c2

1:00 pm

Sat
Thunderstorms 81° 87°
90%
74% S 13 mph
2:00 pm

Sat
Thunderstorms 81° 87°
85%
73% S 14 mph
3:00 pm

Sat
Thunderstorms 81° 87°
80%
75% S 11 mph
4:00 pm

Sat
Thunderstorms 80° 85°
75%
76% S 11 mph
5:00 pm

Sat
Thunderstorms 78° 83°
80%
81% SSE 11 mph
6:00 pm

Sat
Scattered Thunderstorms 76° 81°
55%
85% SSE 10 mph
7:00 pm

Sat
Partly Cloudy 77° 81°
20%
81% S 10 mph
8:00 pm

Sat
Partly Cloudy 76° 80°
15%
82% SSE 8 mph

Yeah that would make the most sense.

Today:

2 vs 3
1 v 4

Tomorrow evening weather depending:

Winner's game
Loser's game (someone eliminated)

Sunday morning: 1-1 elimination game (someone goes home) around 11ish

Sunday afternoon: 2-0 vs. 2-1 Regional Championship game around 2:30ish

Sunday evening: Game 7 if needed - 30 min after the previous game

Only downside is the winner of the 1-1 elimination game could end up playing a tripleheader if they can force a game 7

Weather is looking bad in Minneapolis as well. Saturday and Sunday look like total washouts. Based on when the rain is supposed to arrive in MSP, there's a good chance the second game tonight doesn't even start. 

Would they try to play all 7 on Monday? This is terra incognita for everyone involved here. 

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I realize the sec is a good softball conference, but 28-25 (6-18!!) gets you into the tournament?

Good conference

Arkansas lost to lowly AAC Tulsa last night. 

Only a couple of upsets so far - Boise State over Stanford 9-1 (wow) and USF over South Carolina 3-2

Southeastern Mo. is up 1-0 on ULL in the b3
BYU is up 3-0 on Arky in the b3 - trying to bounce Arky from the tournament
Tech won 3-0 over La Tech

#5 Florida only won 3-0 over Boston
#13 OSU needed a rally to win 13-10 over Tulsa
#12 Tennessee 8-0 over Longwood
#14 Kentucky 7-2 over Toledo