Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

44 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

EJNO isn't a jag, you guys are sounding real aggy-like right now. 

He's not a JAG, but he seems to have some concerns or minor red flags and he also doesn't seem to fit the profile of what this staff wants in OL. It's pretty clear that staff has not been going all out for him during this recruiting process, and I'm good with the staff's position. We've gotten burned in the past going for too many guys who could only play Guard.  Combine his positional limitations with his concerns, and he has a very high bust potential that would eat up a scholarship for many years.

7 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

He's not a JAG, but he seems to have some concerns or minor red flags and he also doesn't seem to fit the profile of what this staff wants in OL. It's pretty clear that staff has not been going all out for him during this recruiting process, and I'm good with the staff's position. We've gotten burned in the past going for too many guys who could only play Guard.  Combine his positional limitations with his concerns, and he has a very high bust potential that would eat up a scholarship for many years.

LT's D-line coaches were not impressed by EJNO. They thought he was a good solid Olineman but nothing more. They were more concerned with the Tackle.

49 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

EJNO isn't a jag, you guys are sounding real aggy-like right now. 

46 minutes ago, Fud said:

I don't think he's a JAG, but it's obvious our staff hasn't prioritized him; the pay sites and CTJ have been saying this for awhile now 

As far as Texas goes, he's a JAG, Bruh Man. That's not being aggie. I've been telling you this for a while, for whatever that is worth.

Texas has higher guys on the board and open slots for late risers in the summer and fall for whoever they like across the country. There's apparently data being used that takes a position regarding OL development in HS and college impact, including on a state-by-state basis. Newsflash, the guards in Texas who look great as sophomores and then show nothing different as juniors might not be any different as seniors in college, either, and that isn't a good thing. You want excellent body types with really broad wing spans and excellent agility scores at guard and center. The centers need to be really bright and anyone worth recruiting needs to exhibit a nasty streak, especially in the interior. If a player is extremely polished, as many Texas OLs are, then caveat emptor.

Texas will take Johnson, Green, Shephard, and Bragg if they can get them. Same for Wilkins. They will also probably take a guy or two that are not on the radar right now. They'll attempt to keep a guy like EJNO warm if they can, in the improbable scenario in which OU performs poorly on the field and Texas misses on numerous targets. If he would have been all Texas, all the time from the jump, they would have taken him, but otherwise the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Good point on Louisiana. Saban is going to steal Oeaux's lunch money this cycle. 

Texas is lining up for the feeding frenzy as well. If you look at what is happening in that state this cycle, a lot of guys are taking their time to see what happens with LSU on the field and they're all talking about various camps they're heading to this summer. I think LSU is going to suck fucking balls this year. They will open 1-2 after taking a beating from Miami and Auburn. They pick up Georgia as an opponent from the SEC East. They will be bowl eligible because they play SE Louisiana, La Tech, Rice and ATM. 

If they're a largely panned also-ran with a coach they can't afford to fire that no one understands, who has a history of meddling with all areas of the team and speaking his mind to the team and in public about the decisions of his assistants, then it could be a free-for-all in Louisiana. Texas is doing a good job laying the groundwork with a handful of guys they like there. The Makiya Tongue guy is going to be a fucking bad ass in college and Texas is all over him. He lacks strong allegiances with LSU anyway. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/04/open-post-wednesday-april-25th/

Hide contents

– As you all know, Lake Travis (TX) WR Garrett Wilson officially visited Texas over the weekend. He’s down to Ohio State and Texas. He took his official visit to Ohio State, two weeks ago.

The Buckeyes led going into the weekend.

Wilson was expected to make a decision this Thursday, but last night he told me a decision won’t come until early May. He wants to think things over. That’s a good thing for Texas.

In fact, over the weekend when we asked Garrett if Texas was making a dent in Ohio State’s lead he said, “they’re covering ground for sure…I like it a lot!”

After the visit Wilson said, “It was a great visit. It was awesome to see and be around that environment.” He told me he enjoyed spending time with Brennan Eagles, his player host, and some of the other Longhorns. A group of guys that were together during the game with Garrett Wilson were Noah Cain and Texas commits Jordan Whittington and DeGabriel Floyd.

There was some serious recruiting going on.

Something else that Wilson that excited Wilson was that Texas offered his HS teammate, 2020 QB/ATH Hudson Card. Wilson told me Card is one of his best friends and they’re together all the time. On whether they’d like to play together in college, Wilson said, “we talk about that for sure”. Though, if I’m being candid, I don’t think the Card offer will change too much in his recruitment right now.

Wilson is torn here. Again, the longer this takes the better it is for Texas. Once we find a solid commitment date we’ll let you know. – (Andrew)

– We’ve got a few more things to share on Garrett Wilson.

I chatted with him quickly yesterday, and he backed off the stance of saying Ohio State was his leader, and said Texas evened things up over the weekend. Now, could he just be trying to build suspense? Of course. Though this is coming from a kid that has stressed to both myself and Super K that he wants to make sure he makes the correct decision the first time when he commits. So it is something that he is likely sincere about.

Another thing is that I was told Texas basketball Head Coach, Shaka Smart, has been in contact with Garrett’s father. As they’ve talked about the chance of Garrett getting a look at playing basketball in college as well. Wilson isn’t just an average basketball player. A week or two ago he dropped 36 on Austin rival Westlake HS. I talked to some people around Lake Travis who said there was some talk, early in Wilson’s HS career, if he was going to play football or basketball at the next level.

When I asked Wilson about Texas possibly giving him a shot to play basketball as well, he told me “Yeah it’s something I think would be cool to test out and see if I’d wanna continue it.” I don’t know if Ohio State is offering him the same thing, and it wouldn’t surprise me if they are. But it’s just something interesting I wanted to pass along. – (Andrew)

– As you all know, 2019 running back, Noah Cain (IMG Academy) was on campus this past weekend for an unofficial visit. I spoke with Noah’s father, Terence, about the visit.

The Cain’s have had a busy spring visiting Oklahoma, Georgia, Ohio State, Auburn, LSU and finally Texas. Terence tells me that they still have a couple additional visits remaining including one to Penn State.

I know the question that we continue to ask if whether Noah will stick with his original commitment date of December 22nd. Terence confirmed that the date is still firm and nothing has changed.

We discussed how Texas looks currently compared to other teams and how they look compared to the team they saw last year, “Definitely improved as a team over last year. I don’t think they’re ready to compete for a championship yet. They’re not as far along as teams like Georgia and Oklahoma and Penn State but they’re getting there. Definitely better than the team we saw last year.”

Terence went on to discuss how close Texas was in a games last year and the belief is that with the improvements, Texas could take that step closer to being a 9 or 10 win team with a championship run to come in the next year or two.

Noah spent time with guys like Jordan Whittington, Garrett Wilson and others but also, “we spent a lot of time with coach Drayton, coach Herman and Brian [Carrington]…coach Drayton is one of the best in terms of development that you’ll come across”.

Facilities Upgrade

Terence and I had discussion about the current state of the Texas facilities and where things are headed. Noah is one of the most highly coveted backs in the country. The family has seen a number of facilities. So, they have a good sense of what is out there and it sounds like Texas wants to make sure they can complete.

“When we first visited Texas, I was surprised at how far behind the facilities were. They’ve made improvements and it’s nice but when you’re talking about the flagship university then you need to be the best”.

And the plan apparently, is to get there…

“They showed us the future plans to upgrade and it’s already been approved. They’re going to close in the stadium”.

Terence went on to describe a number of details regarding the new plan to upgrade facilities and said things are, according to Cain, expected to be complete in the next couple years.

Moving Forward

As I said, Cain is still set on deciding in December. Texas is one of the main schools in the running and I think it helps that the Cains see an opportunity for Noah to come in and make an immediate impact; to make the team instantly better.

Look for them to finish the spring out with a couple additional visits and then official visits in the fall. – (Super K)

– 2019 4 star ATH, Christian Harris (Baton Rouge, LA) tells me that he plans on visiting Texas this upcoming weekend.

Earlier this month, Harris released a top ten which included Texas.

Among the teams to watch here are Alabama and in-state program, LSU. Harris is a big man at 6’1 225 lbs and his team literally lines him up, at times, at cornerback. He also plays outside wide receiver, slot, H-back. He can pretty much play anywhere.

I’m told that Bama is recruiting him as an OLB.

In terms of where Texas would like him to play he said, “they said whatever I want but I’m pretty sure we’re going to talk about it more this weekend”.

We hope to have more on Harris, shortly. – (Super K)

– This past weekend, 2019 Conroe, TX Oak Ridge OT Tyler Johnson was back in Austin, again, to see the Longhorns Spring Game. I checked in with Johnson’s mom to see how the visit went and she said it was another ‘good visit’.

Like I have mentioned before, Johnson has visited Texas on a number of occasions already with this last visit coming right after he took his first official visit to Oklahoma for their Spring Game during the April 14 weekend. After that official I mentioned on the Oklahoma site not to be surprised when Tyler’s next official was to Texas. And according to his Mom that visit date has now been set.

“May 4 (weekend), Texas,” she said about when their official visit to the Longhorns would be.

Again, just visited for the Spring Game this past Saturday after having visited a few Saturdays prior for a spring practice. Now he’s returning in a little over a week for his official visit. Three visits in basically a month’s span, hard not to envision Texas being the team to beat at this point. – (Alex)

– Some of the Texas staff is hitting the road this week as the Spring evaluation period begins. High School Spring practice is getting underway and the coaches are heading out. I was told that Running Back coach, Stan Drayton, stopped in to see two elite RB’s.

IMG Academy (FL) Running Backs’s Noah Cain and Trey Sanders got a visit from Drayton on Monday. It hasn’t been long since Drayton saw Cain, as he visited Texas over the weekend. We like where Texas sits with Cain, even though he doesn’t plan to make a decision until December.

Trey Sanders is a little bit more interesting. As most expect him to stay in the Southeast, more specifically at one of the big Florida schools; Florida, Miami, and Florida State. Though there has been some interesting behind the scenes buzz regarding him and Texas, as Super K has eluded too. Sanders hasn’t taken a visit to Texas, and I always say actions speak louder than words. Sanders has taken multiple visits to those three Florida schools I alluded to earlier, so far in 2018.

If Sanders takes an official to Texas, that would be huge news. Getting him in for an unofficial plus an official visit would be even bigger, though I’m not sure that happens as of right now.

Sanders really likes Stan Drayton, and he and Cain are both elite backs as well as friends, and they respect how Texas has recruited them. The friends talk about what schools tell them, and some schools have been burned by both of them because they told both backs things like “you’re our #1 guy”.

Bottom line is that Texas is in a really good spot with Cain, and seem to really have Sanders’ attention. Not many schools can say that. – (Andrew)

Shaka Smart was asked to be involved with Wilson's recruitment a while ago and allegedly slowplayed it. Wilson is a shooter who can help a P5 program in basketball for free. At least Smart's shown up now, I guess. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Texas is lining up for the feeding frenzy as well. If you look at what is happening in that state this cycle, a lot of guys are taking their time to see what happens with LSU on the field and they're all talking about various camps they're heading to this summer. I think LSU is going to suck fucking balls this year. They will open 1-2 after taking a beating from Miami and Auburn. They pick up Georgia as an opponent from the SEC East. They will be bowl eligible because they play SE Louisiana, La Tech, Rice and ATM. 

If they're a largely panned also-ran with a coach they can't afford to fire that no one understands, who has a history of meddling with all areas of the team and speaking his mind to the team and in public about the decisions of his assistants, then it could be a free-for-all in Louisiana. Texas is doing a good job laying the groundwork with a handful of guys they like there. The Makiya Tongue guy is going to be a fucking bad ass in college and Texas is all over him. He lacks strong allegiances with LSU anyway. 

Other than Tongue, what other Louisiana recruits might listen to Texas?

I think Kardell Thomas is full of it. Stingley and Christian Harris appear to be long shots. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

I think Kardell Thomas is full of it. Stingley and Christian Harris appear to be long shots. 

Pffft on Thomas. Nevermind him.

Anything is possible with any of the others they're on or wind up on, but yeah, Stingley is a long shot. 

15 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Chester Kimbrough is visiting soon. Earl Barquett is an interesting Michael Williams type of DL 

There are a bunch of other interesting prospects who haven't set up visits yet, so it's not clear how interested they are 

Sopsher is going to Bama

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Chester Kimbrough is visiting soon. Earl Barquett is an interesting Michael Williams type of DL 

There are a bunch of other interesting prospects who haven't set up visits yet, so it's not clear how interested they are 

Sopsher is going to Bama

Does Sopsher have ties to Bama? Or does he just want to get the hell from Oeaux? 

13 minutes ago, Fud said:

Sopsher is going to Bama

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I believe Sopsher translates to "slug" in cajun.

I think Sopsher translates to "player" in cajun. as in...he and his brother are just playing around with A&M fans...

https://twitter.com/isopsher/status/986227818941075456

IT

RIAN DAVIS

He's been bouncing between Florida and Texas and back to Florida throughout his time in high school. The nation's #168 composite player profiles as a linebacker who might have a chance at all three positions. He's a big kid with good bounce.

He tells me he's looking to make a bunch of visits in early June, with Texas being one of the schools he sees. He also intends on seeing Bama, Georgia, Clemson, Ohio State, and Louisville.

Davis speaks very highly of Texas and assuming the staff stays on him I expect the Longhorns to be in his final group.

EJ-NO TO OU

Allen offensive guard EJ Ndoma-Ogar made a commitment to Oklahoma this morning after visiting Texas over the weekend. I messaged with him on Monday and it sounded like OU was still clearly out front, though I did think he would take a little more time.

The main thing I wanted to know was if he felt like a priority for Texas:

"Coach Hand has always made me feel like a priority. I hear from him weekly and get on the phone with him about every two weeks."

Thaaaaat's not really prioritizing.

He does like Hand:

"I met him when I was a freshman at IMG and he was at Auburn. I was really surprised when he left. The Auburn OL are savages!!"

EJ did go on to say Texas was not recruiting him as hard as OU. With Allen's burgeoning tradition at OU, Texas was going to have to match OU's intensity.

We've maintained the staff wants more length at guard. With EJ being sub-6-foot-3, the staff was apprehensive on prioritizing him. Branson Bragg is more in the image of what the staff is looking for. They seem to subscribe to the theory that average tackles can become great guards, and I don't disagree (have ascribed to that theory for years), though those players require a different kind of development and probably require more time to gain the requisite strength.

EJ is one of the nicest, most thoughtful kids I've covered. Good luck to him.

TEXAS STRAIGHTFORWARD WITH CLASSES AHEAD

As mentioned, Texas hosted a number of younger recruits over the weekend. How they manage a more deliberate timeline is important, and clear communication is necessary so as not to upset players who visit yet don't receive offers. When other schools are offering, and you don't, it can be used against you on the trail. The staff understands this and is being very clear in its communication by telling players when you get a Texas offer it means a little bit more, and it's a committable offer and that's why they take their time.

The underlining of 'committable offer' is a great way of gently telling a recruit these staffs are bull-s*itting you and we are not.

APRIL SHOWERS BRING MAY FLOWERS

Texas received zero commitments in the month of April while Oklahoma and A&M landed numerous quality players. Statement of fact.

So what?

The blood-thirsty recruitnik would shoot a spike on opening day rather than wait out the trophies. This only makes sense if you're starving, which right now, this class isn't. But good job, Buffalo Bill, you used your tag already and now you're the cook for the rest of camp.

The new rules allowing for spring official visits provides the staff the perfect opportunity to close on some quality recruits and do so on the player's timeline. Not pressuring is a long-play that often rewards patience. It can backfire at times, and the staff shouldn't have a rigid no-nudge policy, but more often than not operating in that fashion will work in your favor. Involved parents especially appreciate this.

We'll have one more recruiting weekend this month, but then comes May and what should be a positive stretch for the class. The big weekend is of course May 4th-6th.

TE Jared Wiley, Temple (Temple, TX): He's moved up his timeline to the end of summer. Texas likely gets him, the only question is when he actually pulls the trigger. He has no other visits planned.

OL Stacey Wilkins, Camden-Fairview (Camden, AR): OU is probably the favorite. UT needs a good showing and probably for Wilkins to wait as long as possible.

DE NaNa Osafo-Mensah, Nolan Catholic (Fort Worth, TX): Texas should feel good here. He's going to make his decision in mid-May. Texas was way behind, then hit the electricity in Huff's Tesla and caught up. Those things go 0-60 real fast. That's happened many times and should be something we all file away.

LB Makiya Tongue, University Lab (Baton Rouge, LA): I messaged with him last night. He has no other official visits planned at this time. I doubt Herman would want the first one if he wasn't feeling very confident here.

CB Marcus Banks, Spring Dekaney (Houston, TX): He's taking an official to College Station this weekend but Texas feels cautiously optimistic. A&M does not feel as good here. There is potential for a May commitment, imo, though he's said he'd like to take all of his officials. He has no other visits planned.

CB Jaden Davis, St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale, FL): He's going to Miami or Florida. Diaz wants bigger corners but it's tough to turn down an STA baller. Keep chipping away. Some day the wins in Austin will reward the effort put in at the national power.

CB Chester Kimbrough, Warren Easton (New Orleans, LA): Kimbrough feels like a contingency but Washington has been putting in work for over a year. Very good cover corner.

CB Derek Stingley, Dunham School (Baton Rouge, LA): This all about jockeying for position to be in the conversation late. UT's secondary is going to play at a DBU level this season. Ed Orgeron probably won't look like the future. Stingley's dad is high on Texas. I've heard Corey Raymond isn't all that happy in Baton Rouge right now. Hopefully that bleeds through into recruiting.

"Sure would have been nice if they got a commit."

Should be:

Sure will be nice when they get the right commits.

May should work towards that end.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Shaka Smart was asked to be involved with Wilson's recruitment a while ago and allegedly slowplayed it. Wilson is a shooter who can help a P5 program in basketball for free. At least Smart's shown up now, I guess. 

Smart will be the coach forever if he helps the football team land 5-star recruits.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

If LSU shits the bed this year, it might be less of a longshot. I think thats why some of these guys havent already committed. 

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

If a guy plays football and another sport, he counts as a scholarship for the other sport, correct? I could be way wrong on that but it that's the case, it's not really "for free".

Regarding EJNO, seemed like we had picked things up with him lately. Maybe sensing a commitment coming and trying to keep him warm a little while longer?

6 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Hates all well and good my man, and they've gotten plenty from Texas the past few years, but nothing in the same realm of high level, coveted talent that we've lost to Stanford in recent classes. Blame it on Recency Bias. 

Since 2013, here are the Texas players we've lost to ND, including two classes with zero Texas players:

Durham Smythe
Torii Hunter Jr.
Cory Robinson
Nick Watkins
Grant Blankenship
Kolin Hill
Jalen Guyton
Brock Wright
Avery Davis

Now to me, that looks like two badass tight ends in Smythe and Wright, and a bag of guys we don't really give a fuck about. The only other names on that list that even ring a bell to me are Jalen Guyton, Avery Davis, and the centerfielder's kid. They even have a fucking kid who can't even spell Colin properly. That guy almost certainly wears suspenders under his uniform and waxes his handlebar mustachio. 

Here's the same list from Stanford. The kids in 2016 alone are enough to gnash teeth:

Brandon Simmons
Solomon Thomas
Kaden Smith
Michael Williams
Obi Eboh
Trevor Speights
Paxton Segina
Richard McNitzky
Walker Little
Paulson Adebo
Trey Stratford
Jacob Mangum-Farrar
Ethan Bonner

Soloman Thomas was a complete stud and 1st round draft pick. Kaden Smith was a complete national stud (as were Wright and Smythe) but seen as one of the best TE's to come out in any class in several years at the time. Obi Eboh fucking decommitted from us to go to Stanford. We finished 2nd for Michael Williams and  he was a position of need. Trevor Speights I don't think had a Texas offer, but he was pretty well regarded. Walker Little can go fuck himself. Paulson Adebo was a flat out stud. 

So I mean...yeah...I get the Stanford salt being a little more unbearable at this point. 

All good points, but you left out the most important one: fuck the irish.

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Regarding EJNO, seemed like we had picked things up with him lately. Maybe sensing a commitment coming and trying to keep him warm a little while longer?

We didn't ghost him completely, but we definitely weren't prioritizing him the way we are with the Trench Warfare quartet.

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Oh god

LSU is not going to be good in 2018. That isn't schtick and they're headed the wrong way. 

-Their front 7 will be fine and they have the best LB in the SEC.

-Greedy Williams is a stud at one CB spot but they have nothing on the other side and like 3 total on the roster. Delpit's having collar bone surgery and the safeties are going to be "okay".

-They are thin as a leaf of paper on the defensive depth chart.

-If they don't suffer a rash of injuries, they'll be top 30 defensively, largely a function of playing shitty offenses.

-They don't have a QB. They have 3 shitty ones. Brennan is a stick and will probably be murdered in a game if he plays.

-JAGs at TE and OL. 

-TB will be solid, but losing Guice and the stud backup will be a problem that LSU hasn't had in over a decade.

-The WRs will be talented, but underutilized. It's the LSU way. 

-The schedule includes 4 automatic losses in Georgia, Miami, Bama, and Auburn. Florida, MSU, and Arkansas aren't gimmes. ATM, Rice. SE LA, La Tech, and Ole Miss ensure a modicum of 5 wins.

-Numerous coaches are unhappy coaching under mushmouth and he's a micromanaging idiot.

-The state and school are cash poor. They won't be able to afford the buyout for dufus.

-O may legitimately leave Baton Rouge someday with LSU in smoking ruin. 

This all bodes well for any team putting in work in the recruitment of LA players.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

LSU is not going to be good in 2018. That isn't schtick and they're headed the wrong way. 

-Their front 7 will be fine and they have the best LB in the SEC.

-Greedy Williams is a stud at one CB spot but they have nothing on the other side and like 3 total on the roster. Delpit's having collar bone surgery and the safeties are going to be "okay".

-They are thin as a leaf of paper on the defensive depth chart.

-If they don't suffer a rash of injuries, they'll be top 30 defensively, largely a function of playing shitty offenses.

-They don't have a QB. They have 3 shitty ones. Brennan is a stick and will probably be murdered in a game if he plays.

-JAGs at TE and OL. 

-TB will be solid, but losing Guice and the stud backup will be a problem that LSU hasn't had in over a decade.

-The WRs will be talented, but underutilized. It's the LSU way. 

-The schedule includes 4 automatic losses in Georgia, Miami, Bama, and Auburn. Florida, MSU, and Arkansas aren't gimmes. ATM, Rice. SE LA, La Tech, and Ole Miss ensure a modicum of 5 wins.

-Numerous coaches are unhappy coaching under mushmouth and he's a micromanaging idiot.

-The state and school are cash poor. They won't be able to afford the buyout for dufus.

-O may legitimately leave Baton Rouge someday with LSU in smoking ruin. 

This all bodes well for any team putting in work in the recruitment of LA players.

The only coach that matters is Aranda. They could fire Ogre, elevate Aranda to HC and keep numerous other assistants and make it palatable with some help from pissed off boosters. It will only take one year of shitting the bed for things to come to a head quickly down there. 

42 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

The only coach that matters is Aranda. They could fire Ogre, elevate Aranda to HC and keep numerous other assistants and make it palatable with some help from pissed off boosters. It will only take one year of shitting the bed for things to come to a head quickly down there. 

While I think Aranda is a rising star, the situation you laid out is fraught with peril because of infighting, backstabbing, and power plays. It could work, but it ain't that easy.

56 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If they don't suffer a rash of injuries, they'll be top 30 defensively, largely a function of playing shitty offenses.

LSU is going to be much better than "just top 30 defensively" if they stay healthy. Here's Aranda's adjusted D ranks as a defensive coordinator the past 6 years: 18th, 3rd, 5th, 21st, 10th. 10th. 

LSU is still loaded on defense. They will likely struggle at times on offense, but I'll be surprised if their defense isn't really good. 

24 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

We'll see, literally, I guess. I'm going to have to see LSU raise another existing staff member to head coach in order to believe it as possible. As well, I'm going to have to see them payoff a huge buyout before I'm going to see it as possible.

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

LSU is going to be much better than "just top 30 defensively" if they stay healthy. Here's Aranda's adjusted D ranks as a defensive coordinator the past 6 years: 18th, 3rd, 5th, 21st, 10th. 10th. 

LSU is still loaded on defense. They will likely struggle at times on offense, but I'll be surprised if their defense isn't really good. 

We aren't saying anything different from one another. You quoted stats to support my position. He'll post a top 30 defense. He doesn't have the dogs for a top 15 defense this year as a starting point, and I'm not looking to split hairs and predict some specific random number inside of 30. 

Beyond that, if you think they're going to be on the field the entire fucking game because the offense will suck, that impairs the premise of elevating much inside of top 30. The depth issue can also not be swept away. LSU's 2018 defensive depth is worse heading into the season than UT's 2017 offensive line depth. There is nothing behind most of the starting 11 and 3 of the starting 11 are flat out suspect. 

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

We'll see, literally, I guess. I'm going to have to see LSU raise another existing staff member to head coach in order to believe it as possible. As well, I'm going to have to see them payoff a huge buyout before I'm going to see it as possible.

It's a really big buyout, but if they want him gone badly enough, their boosters will pony up the cash.  I doubt they have to pay him the entire balance within 60 days like aggie and Sumlin. They'll probably be able to pay it off over the course of years... which eases the burden considerably. 

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

We aren't saying anything different from one another. You quoted stats to support my position. He'll post a top 30 defense. He doesn't have the dogs for a top 15 defense this year as a starting point, and I'm not looking to split hairs and predict some specific random number inside of 30. 

I think they will be a top 15 defense. They finished 18th in adjusted defense last year and they were in worse shape last year. Last year they had zero depth at DE, had a shortage of nose tackles, and relied on a bunch of FR at LBer and in the secondary. LSU was starting 4 to 5 FR at one point last year because of depth issues. Aranda is really good. 

Fehoko, Lawrence, Alexander, Shelvin, and Chaisson (edge rusher type) is going to create a lot of problems for teams up front. 

Edited by texasstrong12

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Beyond that, if you think they're going to be on the field the entire fucking game because the offense will suck, that impairs the premise of elevating much inside of top 30. The depth issue can also not be swept away. LSU's 2018 defensive depth is worse heading into the season than UT's 2017 offensive line depth. There is nothing behind most of the starting 11 and 3 of the starting 11 are flat out suspect. 

l3ol6.gif

14 minutes ago, RabidM said:

It's a really big buyout, but if they want him gone badly enough, their boosters will pony up the cash.  I doubt they have to pay him the entire balance within 60 days like aggie and Sumlin. They'll probably be able to pay it off over the course of years... which eases the burden considerably. 

You guys have more faith in the reach of LSU boosters than I do, so it should be interesting to watch. They've got Jim Bernhard, Jr and then who the fuck else? It would probably depend upon how that dude is feeling on any given day and I don't even know if he's still alive.

7 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Has Chaisson played a down yet? Curious where the hype is coming from. Primarily because I want him to suck.

LSU's offensive line couldn't block him in the Spring game. Chaisson is the player I'm most upset about missing on in recent years. NFL written all over him. 

• Like 1