Texas recruiting notes 2019

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

His wedding was themed around his own college activity? His wife's parents must have been *thrilled*

I'd bet that was the Groom's cake. My lovely wife let me do a UTFB themed Groom's cake. It's like the one thing, besides the bachelor party, that we get through the arduous wedding ritual...err, I mean it's the happiest day of my life!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Tyler Johnson, Wright, Carrington, and Whittington.

In the original image, there's another guy to the (viewer's) right of Whittington. Not sure who he is, though. 

(Edit: Gbenda, as noted.)

Edited by Gut Wagon

18 minutes ago, Bevo said:

So the Shhh is for Wright or Johnson?

Whittington looks small compared to those 2.

WR Dylan Wright is like 6-3 to 6-4, and OL Tyler Johnson is at least 6-5

Jordan Whittington is 6-1, so he's gonna look small compared to them.

Eric Nahlin: A complete view of Texas quarterback commit Roschon Johnson (basically a not-so-subtle rebuttal to Barton Simmons)

Every year has its share of peculiar ratings.

Individually, a rating is a fun topic of discussion as we vehemently stress how their opinion is so wrong. A rating is simply the summary of an evaluation. As we all know, evaluating is hard because of all the variables involved.

The easiest variable to spot -- by far -- is raw athleticism. A popular way to test raw athleticism is with Nike's SPARQ system and it is no coincidence the players with the highest scores are often the bluest chips.

Athleticism is extremely important, but once you reach a baseline level, compensatory traits like instincts and toughness can mitigate shortcomings. At least to a point. That's the really hard part about evaluation, especially for guys in my line of work who don't have the football acumen coaches do. That's why it's important to talk to as many people "in the know" as possible.

Last year around this time I had questions regarding Roschon Johnson's arm strength. I long ago learned that accuracy and anticipation were more important factors than sheer velocity, but just like with athleticism you must meet a standard. Throwing a fifty-five yard pass isn't arm strength, by the way. Tons of high school kids can throw balloons. Throwing an out that doesn't hang-up for six the other way is more of what I'm talking about.

With these modest concerns I asked around and talked to "someone in the know" who saw him at a camp and said he had similar concerns. At the time I mentioned this to the board but also underlined arm strength can improve with added lower body and core strength, as well as improved syncing of mechanics.

With Jerrod Heard's evolution from highly rated dual-threat quarterback to wide receiver still fresh in mind, I wanted to be a bit cautious with how I viewed the Port Neches-Groves star.

But then two things happened: I did more homework on him, and he had a positively fantastic junior season. Never mind the incredible statistics, I felt like he alleviated some velocity concerns and obviously elevated his team in ways I doubt any other quarterback in the state could.

One of the benefits of covering a single team is I have the time to get to know players better. Even though Texas is its own giant region, I only have to be fluent in 150 names per cycle rather than 1000. This, I believe, allows for building a much better overall composite of a player.

A national reporter is much less likely to understand the football character or intangibles of a certain prospect. Even if he has a great eye for talent, he won't have a good grasp of other highly important factors like the ones mentioned above and further down.

Rating Johnson a three-star based on tape is a bit curious in itself, but it becomes highly questionable once you get to know him.

A PROPER INTRODUCTION

These quotes from PN-G's head coach, Brandon Faircloth, were taken from Friday's Humidor and were collected by Justin Wells.

"No one works harder than (Roschon) does," said Faircloth. "He's on our field every morning at 5:45 am. Yesterday when I left here at 5:00 pm, he was out here throwing to his receivers. It’s easy to progress when you work as hard as he does. He's a great player, a hard worker, but also a great student. He's got a 4.0 GPA. He makes us all really good coaches."

It's important to run highly favorable quotes from a head coach about his star player through a filter, but this is the same sort of work ethic we've heard about from many others. A minor anecdote: Johnson has been spotted working on his drops during downtime in the in-field of a track and field meet.

"The way we judge improvement in the off-season is in the weight room," Faircloth explained. "He's had a great off-season. Mechanically, he's better. He has a stronger arm. He's more accurate. All that stuff comes from the weight room. As your body continues to mature and improve, you get stronger, and he's also got faster, which I don't know how that's possible. He's improved in every area, but he's such a hard worker, he makes sure he's getting better."

He led his receivers down the field much better this past season. If his arm is continuing to strengthen, I'm not sure what questions will remain. As for accuracy, that's on a positive trend as well, having improved from 61.6 to 64.9 over the previous two seasons. His yards per attempt also improved from 10 to 10.5.

"First, with his strengths, is his decision-making, protecting the football, and an understanding of where and when to throw the ball, and when not to," said Faircloth. "Last year he accounted for 65 touchdowns. He threw 35 scores, with only five interceptions. He puts the ball in the end zone. As for weakness, Roschon would tell you he needs to work on everything. That's the type of kid he is. For quarterbacks in general, accuracy and footwork can always be improved on, and that's what we're doing everyday with him."

61 touchdowns to 11 interceptions the last two seasons. Statistics aren't nearly as important when projecting a player -- it's much more about transferable traits -- but a 5.5 to 1 touchdown to interception ratio backs up his coach's words.

"(PN-G) run very similar offense," Faircloth said. "Before coach Herman took the U of H job, our staff went to Ohio State to better learn what they were doing. So it really worked out well for us and Roschon when Herman took the Texas job. We run some of the same plays, with similar terminology. We run almost every scheme that Texas runs, so there's not much Roschon doesn't already do that he'll be doing in Austin. We're also similar to what coach Hand ran at Auburn, which I think helps Roschon even more since they'll put a little Auburn mix on it."

Two things I always belabor, mental evaluation, which Coach Faircloth discussed, and also fit. Faircloth's mention of fit serves as the perfect segue.

THE IMPORTANCE OF FIT

I often use the benefit of knowing where a player is going when doing rankings. If you're a press corner and can't play off, don't go to a zone team. If you're a dual-threat quarterback, don't go to a traditional pro-passing offense. Etc.

You'd be hard pressed to find a better marriage of talent and fit than between Texas and Roschon Johnson. Herman knows it and Johnson know it.

Most everyone else does too, but it came into clear resolution as I attended a coaches clinic in which Faircloth discussed his offense.

Here's a quick breakdown of how PN-G's offense is hard-wired:

- Identity: Play fast, play physical, protect the football
- West Coast philosophy: high percentage passing (quick screens/quick passes); QB progression/3-step drop
- Downhill run game: Power, counter, iso, Buck Sweep

- Multiple personnel groups and formations with balanced 50/50 run/pass split.
- Lots of shifting and motioning to hide intentions but still keep things simple for the offensive line.
- RPO's and RRO's (inside run, outside run, option)
- Won't run what's on your scout card.
- Sequential Football: For every motion and every shift there is a run, pass, draw, screen, reverse, and trick in the quiver. After a run or pass is used in a game they build off of it. Everything is a setup. Build stuff off of stuff.

The comparison between Johnson and Heard (or any run-first dual) really breaks down at this point. Heard was more ZR, ZR, ZR, play action over the top. Johnson has considerably more on his plate and he understands it at a very high level. I could underline this point further but don't want to reveal some things that might help PN-G's opponents.

CLOSING

Physical tools are important (Johnson is athletically far superior on tape than in testing), but so too are mental evaluation, fit, and intangibles. In my well-rounded view, Johnson scores 4-star to 5-star in each regard and has an extremely bright future, especially as he plays in an extension and evolution of the system he's currently operating; a system that rewards the interplay between intelligent passer and exceptional athlete.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, saul silver said:

Sup guys, long-time listener, first-time caller. All your moms are sluts, and you are all dumb as hell. Am I doing this right?

SIAP, but is there a visitor list for this weekend floating around somewhere?

First, fuck you.

Second:

NaNa Osafo-Mensah

Tyler Johnson

Makiya Tongue

Marcus Banks

Derek Stingley, Jr.

Brayden Liebrock

Bryce Young ('20)

Dwight McGlothern ('20)

All of the '19s are official visitors.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, saul silver said:

Sup guys, long-time listener, first-time caller. All your moms are sluts, and you are all dumb as hell. Am I doing this right?

Here's a list.  I think Wilkins is out though.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1i5Kk5NNdAVIc_sGJSDovph0VSmwrJuCcFufuvCDnJ5g/edit#gid=0 

4 minutes ago, saul silver said:

Your mom was dumb as hell when she invited South Austin over last night.

Awesome..

Austin forecast calls for thunderstorms Friday, but otherwise partly sunny, mid 80's through the weekend.

Yeah, I know only message board geeks obsess over the weather and shit for recruiting weekends, but nice weather is never a bad thing.

Edited by ousux
fucking spell check sucks

1 minute ago, ousux said:

Awesome..

Austin forecast calls for thunderstorms Friday, but otherwise partly sunny, mid 80's through the weekend.

Yeah, I know only board geeks obsess over the weather and shit for recruiting weekends, but nice weather is never a bad thing.

tenor.gif

3 hours ago, utfan87 said:

Ej and Mike put in CB picks for Arkansas DE Zach Williams 

Does anyone know more about this kid? He's not ranked by some of the recruiting sites, and 247 has him as the #42 DE, and #657 overall. But he has a ridiculous offer list (Arky, Bama, Florida, Georgia, TCU, Tennessee) for someone with that low of a ranking.

15 minutes ago, saul silver said:

Does anyone know more about this kid? He's not ranked by some of the recruiting sites, and 247 has him as the #42 DE, and #657 overall. But he has a ridiculous offer list (Arky, Bama, Florida, Georgia, TCU, Tennessee) for someone with that low of a ranking.

Not the question you asked but I wouldn’t trust those crystal balls as far as I could shit them.  

Heres an interesting interview with him and his ex Razorback dad if you can stomach the pig stuff.  

http://m.arkansasonline.com/news/2018/apr/05/joe-t-robinson-de-zach-williams-updates-his-recrui/

28 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Not the question you asked but I wouldn’t trust those crystal balls as far as I could shit them.  

Heres an interesting interview with him and his ex Razorback dad if you can stomach the pig stuff.  

http://m.arkansasonline.com/news/2018/apr/05/joe-t-robinson-de-zach-williams-updates-his-recrui/

There's "shitting for distance"?  That's a thing?  

53 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Maybe you under estimate your shittery.

Horns247 Recruiting Mailbag

Roschon Johnson committed to us last July. Y’all have reported that Bryce Young wants to commit by the end of summer as well. Do we get a 2020 recruit this summer and if so, who do you think it will be? -- Hookem777 

EJ: Well, you mentioned Bryce Young, who is planning to make a decision this summer. He’s visiting for the second time this offseason over the weekend and has high interest in the Longhorns. It actually wouldn’t be surprising to see him side with the Longhorns — there is still work to do, though. If Texas decides to push for early commits, I could see a guy like four-star Duncanville athlete Ja’Quinden Jackson or four-star Lake Travis athlete Hudson Card shutting things down early. I think Texas is the early leader for both. 

Mike: EJ nailed the most likely names. Quarterbacks usually commit pretty early, so Young or Card could be that guy. One other guy I'll throw it out a possibility for is Darius Snow. The Hebron safety seems high on Texas early on.

If you have to give the next five guys in the class who are they? -- texasStrong1171

EJ: Well, we had a great slideshow on that earlier this week — click through all the slides — so I’m going to change your question a bit and give you my prediction for the next commit. Grad transfer running back Tre Watson could make his decision at some point this week, and I feel like the Longhorns have the edge over LSU in that race. Watson loves the opportunity at Texas, and Stan Drayton’s resume of developing running backs. He’s also struck up a friendship with Texas grad transfer commit Calvin Anderson, which is helping the Longhorns.

Mike: Watson is probably the next commit. After that you can look at guys like NaNa Osafo-Mensah, Marcus Banks, Tyler Johnson and Zach Williams as possibilities. I think we will see more action in the fall than we saw in last year's cycle.

What's up with the recruiting landscape in Arizona? With Texas being major players for the No. 2, 5, and 6 players in the state, how strong is the high school competition out there in general? Watching Jake Smith's tape, it seems pretty weak, but Brayden Liebrock's competition looks legit. -- behr90

EJ: I actually went out to Arizona last year to see Junior Angilau in a Utah vs. Arizona classic. I went to one of the nicer facilities out there, and it wasn’t anything to write home about. With that said, I definitely think there is some talent out there. Brayden Liebrock is the best pass catching tight end on the board, and Jake Smith wowed me against some of the top defensive backs in the country in 7v7. Obviously, Arizona isn’t going to have the depth of Texas, but there are some quality players at the top. Texas offensive coordinator Tim Beck was actually a coach in Arizona, so there are ties to the state. 

Mike: As EJ said, Arizona is less about overall talent and more about individual talent. Smith and Liebrock both have offer lists that suggest coaches don't seem to be worried about the competition they face. I think those guys have shown enough in individual settings to prove they are quality takes.

If you could do your own rankings, which guys would you re-rank because they are currently too high or to low? What would your ranking for them be? Just curious. I know you don’t do rankings, but you evaluate and see a lot of guys. -- iits_JeremyP

EJ: Looking at the composite rankings for the state of Texas, there are a few I would change. LSU linebacker commit Marcel Brooks is a special player, in my opinion. I think he’s a top five guy in the state. A&M commit DeMarvin Leal is my top guy, and he is No. 11. I would say guys like Jalen Catalon and Roschon Johnson are a little too low. They need to be inside the Top 25. I’m obviously a big fan of Ole Miss quarterback commit Grant Tisdale, and I think he’s way too low, and the same goes for Texas Tech defensive end commit Steven Parker. The recent dropping of Marcus Banks was a little harsh. He might be the best cover corner in the state. I feel like Jonathan McGill and Jaylen Ellis are severely under ranked. On the flip side, I think Erick Young is way too high. He’s barely a Top 30 prospect in the state for me. Jalen Curry is another one. I just don’t see how he’s ahead of a guy like Dylan Wright. Titus Swen and Jamie Ferguson are other head scratchers inside the Top 40. I’m also not very high on A&M commit Braedon Mowry. To me, he’s barely a Top 50 guy.

Mike: DeMarvin Leal is a special prospect, and I think he should be the state's top player as well. I'd also move up McGill and Ellis. I think Branson Bragg is showing he should be closer to a Top 15 prospect in the state despite the fact his position doesn't hold traditional value. Baylor Cupp is another guy I'd probably move up along with Marcus Banks and Kori Roberson. Erick Young is a bit too high to me, along with Titus Swen and Jalen Curry.

Where does Texas stand with Lewis Cine, and are there any defined next steps for Cine and Texas in his recruitment? -- Racer X

EJ: He visited earlier this offseason and is developing a relationship with Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar, who stopped by to see him last week. Texas will continue to push, and he will likely make another trip to Austin this offseason. I still think Penn State is the team to beat in that recruitment, but Texas is giving him a lot to think about now that he’s made the move to the Lone Star State. 

Mike: Craig Naviar is definitely making him a priority. In talking to him at the Dallas UA camp, it sounds like he's warming to the idea of staying down south for college. Penn State will still pose a threat here, but I think that Texas has a great chance to win him if they can get him back on campus a few times.

What’s the status with Chris Steele? Any chance he makes it to campus? -- Fossell67

EJ: Still the same. Steele is working on setting up for an unofficial visit this offseason but has not locked in a date. He is keeping in contact with Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington and still has interest in the program. De’Gabriel Floyd has also been working on him behind the scenes.

Mike: I know everyone thinks Steele is all talk, but he's always had a genuine interest in Texas. Oklahoma made a big impression on their official visit, but I think Texas has a great shot if they can get him on campus.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, utfan87 said:

Ej and Mike put in CB picks for Arkansas DE Zach Williams 

Isn't this the kid who's an Arkansas legacy? Both of the HawgSports writers have him CBed to Arky. Here's their blurb on him from yesterday:

-----

Zach Williams | DE | 6-4, 225 | Little Rock (Ark.) Robinson

This instate prospect was my third Crystal Ball pick and Trey Biddy's first in favor of the Razorbacks. Williams has blown up recently with new offers from Alabama, Texas, TCU, Georgia, Florida and several others, but Arkansas' offer on February 11 is the one that took his list to the next level. Williams is the son of a former Razorback great, too, as his father Rickey is one of the program's all-time leading tacklers. With three other Robinson products on Arkansas' current roster, the Hogs will be very tough to beat for Williams. We think he's headed to the Hill at some point.

-----

27 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

You mean those can only be given to coaches kids?!? I learn something new every day.

Of course not, but I do  mean that a kid from Georgia who didn’t visit in December or January probably didn’t pick one up at Academy. It’s not hard...for most.

4 hours ago, ousux said:

Awesome..

Yeah, I know only message board geeks obsess over the weather and shit for recruiting weekends, but nice weather is never a bad thing.

we're just old farts that dissect forecasts with surgical instruments. kids dgaf and have fun rain or shine.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Of course not, but I do  mean that a kid from Georgia who didn’t visit in December or January probably didn’t pick one up at Academy. It’s not hard...for most.

Hmmm... seems like Texas would be justified in acquiring some leftovers to give to siblings on official visits. Cheap advertisement in SEC country if you ask me. Maybe that’s too complex to think about for some.