Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

6 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Others will know better but I believe Adimora is the last shhh (sorry if that triggers you CTJ)

However, EJ said that he is not the last remaining silent commit

No triggering, sir. I stated he was a shhh months ago and held to it and have it now validated. I wish I had this much of a clue regarding things in life that matter. 

• Like 5

Some more clips (I won't embed for loading time reasons):

Catalon: https://twitter.com/WillBaizer/status/1013544512692609029

Higgins and Jaylen Ellis: https://twitter.com/WillBaizer/status/1013535149248647170

Floyd vs. Michigan RB commit Eric Gray: https://twitter.com/WillBaizer/status/1013553895061315586

Rian Davis vs. Oregon APB commit Sean Dollars: https://twitter.com/WillBaizer/status/1013554238750887936

Floyd vs. Trey Sanders: https://twitter.com/WillBaizer/status/1013554828092506112

Floyd and Davis: https://twitter.com/WillBaizer/status/1013559276340699141

Apparently Floyd is putting in serious work in recruiting Rian Davis.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

On the Opening thread on 247 someone said Shepherd is sitting out drills with ice on his left knee.  Several others pulled up in the 40 yard dash limping, including Cain.

The Rivals and Opening camps being back to back probably isn't good for these kids 

Just now, Machinator said:

Don't get your hopes too high on this one, but TFB is saying Ishmael Sopsher will pay us an unofficial visit after the dead period, and we're in good shape to make his top 5.

He's supposedly been a Bama silent for months, but is waiting until NSD to commit so he doesn't have to deal with the locals as a Bama commit all year 

4 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

If When Tre Watson, Daniel Young and Ingram show out behind this Herb Hand OL, maybe things do will get real for Sanders and Cain.  They seem to really think very highly of Stan Drayton.  I hope Hand can get the best players in the right spots.  

FIFY

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Newy25 said:

So Caldwell, Watson at corner, Adimora and Catalon at safety? Are we almost wrapped up at DB? 

This would be a SOLID haul after pulling the insane class we did last year.  I'm really not a big fan of Marcus Banks as a player.  He just comes off as a JAG.  Wolfe and Carter seem like guys that will be future attrition candidates.  Sucks that we missed on Brian Williams and Demani, but I'm impressed with this haul.  Really happy we looked hard OOS instead of settling for guys like Mack would.

Edited by victory88

44 minutes ago, victory88 said:

This would be a SOLID haul after pulling the insane class we did last year.  I'm really not a big fan of Marcus Banks as a player.  He just comes off as a JAG.  Wolfe and Carter seem like guys that will be future attrition candidates.  Sucks that we missed on Brian Williams and Demani, but I'm impressed with this haul.  Really happy we looked hard OOS instead of settling for guys like Mack would.

I think our response to missing out on some key in state guys is very encouraging. Mack would have signed the first coaches son who agreed to commit at one of our junior days and Strong would have gone after some grade risks or simply nothing at all like he did at QB. 

Herman and company are not settling even when the competition for in state guys is very high. 

Key in-state misses:

Leal

Bragg

Wilson

(gap in priority level)

Richardson

NaNa

If Herman can find near-like-for-like replacements (or in the case of Leal, an outright flip) for at least four out of five of those guys, we're cooking with gas.

Edited by Machinator

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Key in-state misses:

Leal

Bragg

Wilson

(gap in priority level)

Richardson

NaNa

If Herman can find near-like-for-like replacements (or in the case of Leal, an outright flip) for at least four out of five of those guys, we're cooking with gas.

I'd throw Williams on that list since Richardson is there - we were recruiting him hard, he just shut his recruitment down more completely than most.

I think Bragg has the potential to be the biggest miss. Leal too obvisouly. Wilson hurt the most, but WRs and DBs are replaceable. NaNa is just a step down. 

The thing that could kind of makeup for losing Bragg is finding tackles that can play early. Whether it's Cosmi, Moore, Ghirmai, Johnson, Shephard, etc., I think we're going to have to move Kerstetter inside to C once Shack leaves. I think he projects well there but it means somebody else needs to step outside starting in 2020, maybe 2019 -- I really doubt Shack leaves early, but he is on the Remington watch list so I'll at least leave it as a possibility. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

21 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I just looked it up. Did not realize that many people were on it. I was surprised when I heard he was on it, but now it makes sense. 

As long as he doesn't learn how to snap the damn ball properly, he ain't going nowhere

(Mike Roach) The Opening Finals: Observations from Day 2

FRISCO, TEXAS — Texas commit DeGabriel Floyd showed up with a huge build, but he proved he could move well. Floyd said he ran a 4.7 in the 40-yard dash, and he showed the ability to move downhill with great explosion. Floyd did have a few missteps in the cat-and-mouse drills against running backs, and he will have to improve his feet for the position. Floyd showed off his athletic ability in a combo pursuit drill which forced the linebackers to chase running backs from an angle.

—Wekiva (Fla.) four-star linebacker Rian Davis moved like a safety with the size for linebacker. Davis showed great change of direction and foot quickness in individual drills, and he shined in the one-on-one matchups. Davis has the skillset to stick as a traditional outside linebacker, but he could also be a weapon as an edge rusher. He’s well put together in his upper body, and he has the frame to add more weight once he reaches a college strength program.

—Mansfield Legacy safety Jalen Catalon showed off his strong instincts and an improved skillset fundamentally. Catalon has been putting work in over the offseason to improve his technique, and it showed today. He was explosive out of his breaks, and he was able to disrupt routes in man coverage drills. Catalon was also able to play physically despite his lack of ideal size. His natural ability was already top-notch, and his technique is starting to catch up.

—Five-star IMG Academy running back Trey Sanders flashed his athleticism and impressive build during testing and one-on-one portions. He was incredibly explosive in his first step, and he was quick in space. Camp settings are not great evaluation opportunities for players like Sanders who thrive when the pads are on, and he was limited in what he could do during the competition portion. Sanders could stand to improve his elusiveness in order to become a more complete back at the next level.

—Camden (Ark.) Fairview offensive tackle Stacey Wilkins tested extremely well, and he was strong in the one-on-one portion during the camp. Wilkins is one of the most athletic tackle prospects in the country, and his wingspan is enormous. With the frame to fill out, and tight end-like feet, Wilkins is among the highest upside prospects in the cycle.

— St. Louis (Mo.) Trinity Catholic wide receiver Marcus Washington showed off smooth athleticism and natural pass-catching skills throughout the day. He did not have any drops during the portions we’ve watched, and he has the versatility to play inside or outside. Washington could stand to add some weight to his frame, but he shows the top-end speed to threaten defenses vertically.

—2020 Upland (Ca.) linebacker Justin Flowe was dominant on a field of older players. Not only did he have the “first off the bus” look, he backed it up in every portion of the day. Flowe was able to draw some cheers from the crowd when he showed off his dynamic athleticism and physical style. It’s early in the process for him, but he looks like he has the ability to rank as one of the top overall prospects nationally.

—2020 Aledo running back Jase McClellan tested well, and he was able to show off his quickness and elusive ability in one-on-one drills. McClellan looks to be fully recovered from the injury he sustained during the season, and he looked at home competing against older players in his hometown. McClellan continues to make his case for being an elite prospect nationally.

—Texas targets Noah Cain and Javonne Shepherd were both injured during testing, and they did not work out during the one-on-one portion.

Edited by satyanash