15. Misssissippi State (89.41)
  16. LSU (89.16)
  17. South Carolina (89.06)
  18. Miami (88.94)
  19. Clemson (88.87)
  20. Florida (88.32)

So FSU ahead of aggy 

E.J. Holland's Big Board: Linebackers

With the spring evaluation period over and done with, it’s time to reset the big boards and look at where Texas stands with its targets at each position. We continue the series by taking a look at linebacker recruiting.

Commits

De’Gabriel Floyd, Westlake (Calif.) — A four-star prospect, Floyd committed to Texas over offers from Auburn, Florida State, Georgia, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oregon, USC and a plethora of other major programs. Floyd has visited Texas on multiple occasions this offseason and has family in the Austin-area. Floyd has been one of the most vocal recruiters for Texas this cycle and is working hard on luring other top talent from California. Floyd is up to 240 pounds, so it will be interesting to see if he plays rover or mac under Todd Orlando.

Top Targets

Rian Davis, Wekiva (Fla.) — There is no way around it, this dude is a monster. Davis is being recruited as a b backer, but he legitimately has a chance to play any linebacker position in UT’s defense. Davis made an official visit to Texas this summer and enjoyed his time on campus. He bonded with Orlando, and it appears his interest is rising. However, Texas still has some work to do as Georgia is the leader in his recruitment. The Longhorns sit at the No. 2 spot at this time, which isn’t great news considering Davis plans to pull the trigger in August.

Maninoa Tufono, Punahou (HI) — A four-star prospect from way out in Hawaii, Tufono has legitimate interest in Texas after making an unofficial visit for the Longhorns’ annual Heat Wave event. Tufono loved his time on campus and in the city of Austin and named the Longhorns in his final five shortly after. And that means Texas is in line to receive an official visit in the fall or winter. Washington is considered the favorite in his recruitment at this time, but Texas is definitely an interesting dark horse.

David Gbenda, Katy Cinco Ranch — It’s no secret that it’s a down year for linebacker across the state of Texas this recruiting cycle — hence why the Longhorns have made such an effort to go out-of-state. With that said, Gbenda is a bright spot and remains a priority for Orlando and company. While Texas A&M appeared to be gaining momentum earlier this offseason, Gbenda and his father loved their time at the Heat Wave event earlier this summer, and Texas looks like it’s back in the pole position. Gbenda does not plan to make a decision until December.

Lakia Henry, Dodge City C.C. — Texas is looking for some immediate help at linebacker and is continuing to work hard on Henry, who is ranked as the nation’s top junior college inside linebacker. Henry made a surprise commitment to Tennessee in May, but his recruitment still remains open. Henry is in the process of scheduling an official visit to Texas for the fall, so don’t count the Longhorns out here. He is from the same junior college that produced Texas linebacker Gary Johnson.

Shammond Cooper, Trinity Catholic (MO) — Cooper isn’t a prospect we’ve talked a ton about since he likes to keep things quiet. However, we have learned that Texas has been in frequent contact with Cooper, who is looking to schedule an official visit at some point in the early part of the fall. Illinois and Oklahoma are the popular picks for Cooper at this point in the process, but it will be interesting to see if things change after he makes his OV to Texas. Cooper has a strong relationship with Orlando as well as Director of Recruiting Bryan Carrington.

Offered Prospects

Marcel Brooks, Flower Mound Marcus — A four-star prospect, Brooks made a commitment to LSU this offseason and remains firm to the Tigers. However, he almost made his way to Texas for an unofficial visit last month, so the door is not completely shut in his recruitment.

Spencer Lytle, St. John Bosco (Calif.) — Texas extended an offer to Lytle following his unofficial visit earlier this offseason. It doesn’t appear that the Longhorns are making a big push in his recruitment, but he could be a guy they maybe get on campus again in the winter.

On the radar

Zach Zimos, Fort Bend Travis — As mentioned, the linebacker talent in the state of Texas is down this cycle. But Zimos has been gaining traction on the trail and holds several Power Five offers. Texas has been in some contact.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

E.J. Holland's Big Board: Linebackers

Hide contents

With the spring evaluation period over and done with, it’s time to reset the big boards and look at where Texas stands with its targets at each position. We continue the series by taking a look at linebacker recruiting.

Commits

De’Gabriel Floyd, Westlake (Calif.) — A four-star prospect, Floyd committed to Texas over offers from Auburn, Florida State, Georgia, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oregon, USC and a plethora of other major programs. Floyd has visited Texas on multiple occasions this offseason and has family in the Austin-area. Floyd has been one of the most vocal recruiters for Texas this cycle and is working hard on luring other top talent from California. Floyd is up to 240 pounds, so it will be interesting to see if he plays rover or mac under Todd Orlando.

Top Targets

Rian Davis, Wekiva (Fla.) — There is no way around it, this dude is a monster. Davis is being recruited as a b backer, but he legitimately has a chance to play any linebacker position in UT’s defense. Davis made an official visit to Texas this summer and enjoyed his time on campus. He bonded with Orlando, and it appears his interest is rising. However, Texas still has some work to do as Georgia is the leader in his recruitment. The Longhorns sit at the No. 2 spot at this time, which isn’t great news considering Davis plans to pull the trigger in August.

Maninoa Tufono, Punahou (HI) — A four-star prospect from way out in Hawaii, Tufono has legitimate interest in Texas after making an unofficial visit for the Longhorns’ annual Heat Wave event. Tufono loved his time on campus and in the city of Austin and named the Longhorns in his final five shortly after. And that means Texas is in line to receive an official visit in the fall or winter. Washington is considered the favorite in his recruitment at this time, but Texas is definitely an interesting dark horse.

David Gbenda, Katy Cinco Ranch — It’s no secret that it’s a down year for linebacker across the state of Texas this recruiting cycle — hence why the Longhorns have made such an effort to go out-of-state. With that said, Gbenda is a bright spot and remains a priority for Orlando and company. While Texas A&M appeared to be gaining momentum earlier this offseason, Gbenda and his father loved their time at the Heat Wave event earlier this summer, and Texas looks like it’s back in the pole position. Gbenda does not plan to make a decision until December.

Lakia Henry, Dodge City C.C. — Texas is looking for some immediate help at linebacker and is continuing to work hard on Henry, who is ranked as the nation’s top junior college inside linebacker. Henry made a surprise commitment to Tennessee in May, but his recruitment still remains open. Henry is in the process of scheduling an official visit to Texas for the fall, so don’t count the Longhorns out here. He is from the same junior college that produced Texas linebacker Gary Johnson.

Shammond Cooper, Trinity Catholic (MO) — Cooper isn’t a prospect we’ve talked a ton about since he likes to keep things quiet. However, we have learned that Texas has been in frequent contact with Cooper, who is looking to schedule an official visit at some point in the early part of the fall. Illinois and Oklahoma are the popular picks for Cooper at this point in the process, but it will be interesting to see if things change after he makes his OV to Texas. Cooper has a strong relationship with Orlando as well as Director of Recruiting Bryan Carrington.

Offered Prospects

Marcel Brooks, Flower Mound Marcus — A four-star prospect, Brooks made a commitment to LSU this offseason and remains firm to the Tigers. However, he almost made his way to Texas for an unofficial visit last month, so the door is not completely shut in his recruitment.

Spencer Lytle, St. John Bosco (Calif.) — Texas extended an offer to Lytle following his unofficial visit earlier this offseason. It doesn’t appear that the Longhorns are making a big push in his recruitment, but he could be a guy they maybe get on campus again in the winter.

On the radar

Zach Zimos, Fort Bend Travis — As mentioned, the linebacker talent in the state of Texas is down this cycle. But Zimos has been gaining traction on the trail and holds several Power Five offers. Texas has been in some contact.

Bru McCoy and Makiya Tongue are more likely than Brooks and Zimos.

I don't know what EJ thinks, but both those guys are being given the opportunity to play both WR and LB. And once they get on campus, I think they will realize that they have a better future at LB than WR. As such, I think they will end up with many more reps on defense than on offense. In other words, full time defense and part time offense.

32 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I don't know what EJ thinks, but both those guys are being given the opportunity to play both WR and LB. And once they get on campus, I think they will realize that they have a better future at LB than WR. As such, I think they will end up with many more reps on defense than on offense. In other words, full time defense and part time offense.

I think it's because EJ mostly saw Tongue's on-field play during Pylon 7on7, where he plays WR. Not sure about McCoy.

15 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Bru McCoy is a 5 star WR.  He's also a 5 star LB.  Texas will gladly take him at either position.  Tongue on the other hand can hopefully be a starting LB or a JAG WR.  

That is the line, but I'm not buying it. The direct comparison for WR is DB and the direct comparison for LB is H-back or TE. Basically, Bru McCoy is a good enough athlete that he can play anywhere on the field but once he gets to college and puts on weight, he will probably be too big for the speed positions. Tongue on the other hand isn't athletic enough to be an elite WR so most have already pegged him as a LB.

And yes, I realize that what I said isn't too different from what you said. However, if the ratings were truly projections, then Bru McCoy wouldn't be a 5 star WR as he will probably get too big to be elite as an every down guy. I think more likely he would be used as a terror in red zone sets.

6 hours ago, Bevo said:

That is the line, but I'm not buying it. The direct comparison for WR is DB and the direct comparison for LB is H-back or TE. Basically, Bru McCoy is a good enough athlete that he can play anywhere on the field but once he gets to college and puts on weight, he will probably be too big for the speed positions. Tongue on the other hand isn't athletic enough to be an elite WR so most have already pegged him as a LB.

And yes, I realize that what I said isn't too different from what you said. However, if the ratings were truly projections, then Bru McCoy wouldn't be a 5 star WR as he will probably get too big to be elite as an every down guy. I think more likely he would be used as a terror in red zone sets.

Does Colin Johnson look like a DB to you?  Does Gary Johnson look like a TE?  Obviously those are more extreme examples - but there are more reasonable examples in the last couple of recruiting classes where WR's more closeley resemble LBs than DB's.   McKnights job would be to get their body ready for whatever position they're playing.  If its WR he's going to keep him lean and concentrate on his speed/quickness.  If its LB they bulk him up a little to make sure he can hold up to the physicality required to play in the box.  McCoy is 6' 2.5" and 205 pounds - there is no reason to think he couldn't stay close to that weight and play WR or put on 20 pounds and play OLB.   McCoy is playing for Mater Dei - so lets not act like when he steps on campus it will be the first time he's been introduced to a custom/personalized strength plan.  He's not going to suddenly 'bulk up' unless that what they want for him.

• Like 4

IT on Higgins and Ellis:

HIGGINS & ELLIS

Elite athlete Garrett Wilson wasn't the only wide receiver from the 512 to attend this year's Opening Finals. Elijah Higgins (4-star, Austin Bowie) and Jaylen Ellis (3-star, Cedar Ridge) also showed bursts of ability during 1-on-1s and 7v7. All three had moments of unguard-ability. While Wilson is firm to Ohio State, I caught up with the other pair on their future prospects, scheduled visits, and where the duo's recruitment is headed.

First up, Mr. Ellis. The 6-foot-0, 180-pound speedster and softest of Baylor pledges had one goal this week: Belong. Well, he did.

Breaking down his recruiting process has become a tough task for a kid who went from barely any exposure to 25 offers in six months.

“This process is hard," said Ellis. "I didn’t think it would be this hard because if you would’ve told me in fifth or sixth grade, I would’ve just said I’m going to Texas or Baylor. Now, there is a lot that goes into picking a school. Camps like this let us be kids again and go play some football like its recess.”

Being invited to the Opening Finals is an honor to these young prospects. They soak in as much as possible.

"It is a great experience," Ellis said. "The gear, meeting great players from around the country and learning from coaches with NFL experience. I’ve met an idol like Corey Coleman. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I’ve been watching The Opening since eighth grade. It’s a dream come true and not everyone gets that opportunity. I’m here with something to prove as one of the lower-rated recruits, but I also want to have fun. It’s important to find balance.”

Despite being committed to that school in Waco, Ellis has a very open mind going into this summer and his senior campaign.

“Texas is Texas, and that’s always going to be a school that’s close to me and that I’ll consider,” Ellis said. “I wanted the process over with, but I’m OK with letting it go the distance now if I need the time. I still have five official visits I can take.”

Ellis mentions Ohio State, Michigan, Oregon, and Texas as possible official visit spots. Plans to visit Eugene (OR) in July and maybe Arizona before senior season because Gunnell speaks well about the offense under Kevin Sumlin. I wouldn't be shocked to see him on the 40 Acres in late July with guys like Jake Smith (4-star Texas pledge; Scottsdale, AZ) and Marcus Washington (4-star; St. Louis, MO). 

Lastly, Mr. Higgins. After his breakout performance at the Army All-American combine last winter, his recruitment has skyrocketed. Checking in at 6-foot-3, 221, Higgins moves like a smaller player in a bigger body. Body control, hands, and high-points the ball with relative ease.

He just took his first official to Ohio State recently, after hitting Gainesville to see the Gators of the SEC. Those followed a big UOV to Austin two weeks ago where he told me, "it was different this trip, in a good way." Now, he gets to figure out his Top 5 schools and wants to release that before he takes a senior snap. But first, about that Opening experience...

"It's been great just being around all the top athletes," said Higgins. "You know you see them on Twitter, you talk to them through DMs and messaging, just spending time with them and being around this football environment, it's a lot of fun."

Higgins has been bust of late. Before arriving in Frisco, he was in Atlanta two days before competing at the Rivals camp. He just loves the competition.

"It's been rough," Higgins explained. "We've been running around for the last four days, really going at it, so my legs are tired, dealing with adversity, but other than that, it's a great time learning a lot from some great coaches out here. Being around the top quarterbacks, they can sling it, so you're getting used to the ball getting there a little faster."

Being one of the uncommitted prospects in Frisco, you'd think he would be getting the recruiting pitch from a lot of players.

"I've been talking to a lot of other players committed to schools, but they aren't necessarily recruiting me as much as I'm asking a lot of questions," said Higgins. "I'm talking to guys about schools, what they think and getting a broad perspective on everything. It's just me going around asking and them telling me why they chose a certain school."

When asked about Texas, Higgins gushed over WR coach Drew Mehringer and what UT is building in Austin.

(Mehringer) and I have a great relationship," Higgins said. "I really enjoy getting to know the coaches and talking to the players. UT will definitely be in my Top 5 and get an official visit.

On the field, Higgins improved each day. By the time 7-on7s started, he was an instant red zone threat. With his size and catch radius, I'm more impressed each time I watch Elijah play. Off the field, I'd give Florida the slight lead, but the Longhorns are in this and the 2018 season could have a lot of bearing on where Higgins lands.

• Like 1