Texas recruiting notes 2019

54 minutes ago, Orange^White said:

I'll wear this like a badge of honor coming from the most pompous ass , thin skinned, whining bitch on this site.

Pompous? Sure. Arrogant, condescending, petty, absurd, ridiculous, over the top, outlandish, motherfucker, asshole - I can agree with any of these on a given day. Various other names or adjectives along those lines as well. But thin-skinned and whining? Look in the mirror, sir. I push that button on you whenever I want and you go off every time. If I were thin-skinned, I'd have probably ducked for cover and disappeared the time when Will Lyles threatened to hunt me down on Shaggy. Whatever my flaws, I rarely get "thin-skinned" thrown my way. I'm guessing it's part of every review you've ever had at work though.

53 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The three big prizes were Coburn, Ossai, and Ojomo.

As mentioned above, Coburn was a result of hiring his high school head coach, Meekins.

The door was left open for Ossai when Sumlin got fired, and Carrington was the guy who sealed the deal.

Ojomo is an outlier who went largely unnoticed by coaches until late due to another "beaten-to-death" subject, his age. This allowed us to take his recruitment into the post-NSD1 period when we could put all hands on deck for the priority targets.

Carson and Williams were very nice gets, but they aren't necessarily a testament to our recruiting prowess, and aren't guys you should be viewing as the crown jewels of a class. On top of that they were both still being recruited past NSD1, which worked to our advantage. Even so...

Carrington closed on Carson, and it's a miracle we even got to that point given that Giles had little effect on that recruitment before NSD1.

Mike Williams was a late bloomer, and we benefited from Orgeron and his crew being asleep at the wheel. His best committable offer was... Tennessee in the midst of a coaching change? Kudos to the staff for finding him, but this is hardly the typical national (or even regional) recruiting battle on DL that we've been fighting and mostly losing. Jason Washington is also the area recruiter for Louisiana.

Edit: there are others who are far more knowledgeable about Giles in the Mack era than I am, so I'll pass on that particular topic.

Mike Williams is drawing fucking raves this summer. I know that has nothing to do with what you're saying, but it reminded me of it. They feel like they straight up stole that dude. I'm interested to see how it translates with the pads on.

4 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

Why because Linebacker recruiting has been so stellar? From everything I've heard Orlando isn't going to set the world on fire from a recruiting stand point either. Linebacker recruiting is a head scratcher too. 

Disagree. I think people are stuck in a traditional mindset about the LB position, rather than seeing a problem with how Orlando is approaching LB. Beyond that, Orlando is a plus recruiter, man.

3 minutes ago, txhorns said:

I predict we get both Houston and Caldwell this weekend.  I have no sources nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn last night.  But my wife did let me fuck her twice yesterday so we are obviously getting 2 commits.

Wonder how many other people fucked her twice yesterday?!?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, txhorns said:

I predict we get both Houston and Caldwell this weekend.  I have no sources nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn last night.  But my wife did let me fuck her twice yesterday so we are obviously getting 2 commits.

See if she'll let you put it in her Leal this weekend.

28 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Let's see if crystal ball picks start coming in.

Houston announces on the 7th and TFB's post suggested the 1st shh will drop on Saturday (the 7th). They also said that directly after taking about Houston 

The Houston announcement will be interesting because IT has been pretty adamant to date that he's headed to Okie lite, TFB has been optimistic about him and Texas, and 247 (as far as I can tell) has been non-commital about him. Someone's going to end up being wrong, and it will be amusing to see how that plays out. That, or there's going to be major backpedaling by someone in the next 30-ish hours.

IT

New
TEAM

The team has been off this entire week which means things have been uneventful, other than the car accident BJ Foster and Kris Boyd got in. If you missed it, Foster was slammed from behind which pushed him forcefully into the car in front of him. Thankfully, both are fine. 

We still reached out to some sources to get caught up on the latest with the team.

The most interesting thing we've heard is Orlando is tinkering with many different variations of his dime and nickel. There are effectively big and small versions of each. The best way to illustrate that is with the Joker position. This position is the one Jason Hall excelled in over the second half of last season. It has been repped by both Gary Johnson, a linebacker, and Josh Thompson, a nickel. 

The linebackers and defensive backs have been cross-training roles in each package. Some linebackers have repped at all four positions: B-backer, Rover, Mac, and F-backer (nickel). Gary Johnson has repped at B-backer as well, as well as Rover and the aforementioned Joker. Malcolm Roach has repped at B-backer, Mac, a little at Rover, and some at defensive end. Anthony Wheeler appears to be the only linebacker who is set at one position. Of course that's Mac. 

When we write how it's tough to know exactly how this defense will shake out you can see where we're coming from. The roster has no shortage of big players who can get after the quarterback and defensive backs who can shut down passing lanes behind them. 

There was no 7 on 7 last week but I did catch up with someone who had heard some things:

- Collin Johnson has looked very good, "like an early round draft pick." Of course, his problems were more about using his strength when the pads are on, but he's looking good right now.

- The same goes for LJH and I've talked to a couple people who say fans better enjoy him this year.

- Grad transfer Tre Watson has looked quick on the field and strong in the weight room. Some are surprised that he isn't that big.

- Cam Rising is the most accurate quarterback on the roster, at least lately. He's been characterized as a power pitcher with his size and arm strength. 

- In 7 on 7 the coaches make it known what they want to be repped but mainly it's just early install stuff.

- The team is also doing some schematic walk-throughs. This is where they rep the different personnel packages.

I always ask about workouts and heard back, recently the team was lifting heavy (90% of max) and running in more of a conditioning manner. This upcoming week it will lighter weights with more quick twitch work.

We are in July which means the team reports at the end of the month. At this time I'm unsure of the exact date.

RECRUITING

Another Bryan Carrington 'shhh' emoji found its way to Twitter this week. Those who follow closely have sleuthed the likely commitment out on their own. As we've written in years past, a recruit's actions will give away his intentions ahead of his edits or commitment video. It's not like this player has been too interested in keeping his fondness for Texas quiet.

In other news, Oklahoma Cit (Millwood) wide receiver, Demariyon Houston is slated to announce on Saturday. We haven't been very sanguine on UT's chances for the four-star (.9259 composite) but since it came to light he was close to making his decision, the Texas staff has increased its interest and communication. This recruitment is now to the point it at least has our interest. Oklahoma State has been the leader, and we could definitely see him pledging there, but if he was holding a public announcement near one of us we'd take the time to travel to it just in case. 

If Houston chose Texas, how would he fit? From Inside Texas on Thursday:

ZWR: You must be explosive and either good enough to command safety help over the top or win your share of deep opportunities in man coverage. This position was basically non-existent last year but the position was addressed with Al'vonte Woodard and Josh Moore in the 2018 class. More importantly for the upcoming season, Devin Duvernay had a big spring. This position will be the third most targeted receiving threat on the field but it could become the most feared from a big-play standpoint.

With Jordan Whittington and Jake Smith in the fold at slot, Houston would play the Z. To answer the speed question, Houston offered electronic times of 10.71 in the 100 meters and 21.42 in the 200 meters this past track season. Those times aren't elite, but they do back up the staff's evaluation of him being fast and a field stretcher.

Flipping the mirror and looking at corner, Texas has one commitment in Kenyatta Watson but is looking for another after a terrific haul in 2018. After initially focusing hard on Marcus Banks, Banks and the Texas staff went its separate ways. We expected the staff to take a very patient approach but it didn't, which tells you just how much it likes Alvin's Marques Caldwell. 

At 6-1, and 175 pounds, Caldwell has the length everyone is looking for these days. He has a great frame and the type of movement skills that could see him playing corner North of 200 pounds. He's a corner first prospect, but there's a Duane Akina 'four-corners' element to him that could see him at nickel or safety one day. 

We believe the former Oregon commitment is very close to deciding his ultimate destination.

There has been some solid trash-talking this week between recruits and players on Twitter. In one episode that flew under the radar, OU commit Trejan Bridges had some slight words for Mansfield Legacy's Jeffrey Carter. Carter's cousin, Taurean Carter, also from Legacy, inserted himself into the mix.

Carter has also inserted himself into UT's plans this cycle. The versatile defensive lineman released a top-five of Texas, TCU, Michigan State, Texas Tech, and Arkansas. The focus should be entirely on the first two schools. 

It's very likely that Carter will play with his teammate, safety Jalen Catalon. That puts the Razorbacks somewhat in play, but TCU has quietly been pushing for Catalon for some time. Longhorns fans don't want to see him there. 

Carter won't decide until October 24th, but any configuration of the potential class should account for him. 

Because there's a good chance Carter and Catalon could end up at Texas, we can't entirely write off Jeffrey Carter as a long-term target, even if he commits to A&M in the next month or so.

I love it when we project guys to leave early for the NFL who, to date have barely looked like serviceable Big 12 wide receivers based on how they look in summer practice. These pay sites are absolutely, fucking worthless. 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I love it when we project guys to leave early for the NFL who, to date have barely looked like serviceable Big 12 wide receivers based on how they look in summer practice. These pay sites are absolutely, fucking worthless. 

On the flip side, LSU for example has a wonderful track record of barely noticeable WRs getting drafted in the top two rounds on measureables alone. It's not just about production.

So, assuming Houston commits to Texas tomorrow, how does the rest of WR recruiting play out, if we have a good season on the field?

Wright

Higgins

Washington

Ellis

Powell

Anderson

some other target that has yet to emerge

Prospects such as Bru and Tongue who want to play WR but might end up at different positions

EJ: Big note on Demariyon Houston 

Spoiler

Texas had a very productive conversation with Houston last night. As we've been reporting, Texas has been making a late push here. I think they've done enough to leapfrog Oklahoma State ahead of his Saturday decision. Anything could happen as this is a strange recruitment, but Texas has done a hell of a job in the last 96 hours.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

So, assuming Houston commits to Texas tomorrow, how does the rest of WR recruiting play out, if we have a good season on the field?

Wright

Higgins

Washington

Ellis

Powell

Anderson

Prospects such as Bru and Tongue who want to play WR but might end up at different positions

Wright and Higgins stay on the board, as well as McCoy and Tongue. The others begin to look redundant, but who knows, if Lil'Jordan Humphrey is apparently going to be an NFL draft pick after going 20/300/3 this year, maybe Mehringer knows something we don't with his depth chart. I've always assumed 4 + Wild Card (if you can get one), but maybe it is 5 + WC.

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Wright

Higgins

Washington

Ellis

Powell

Anderson

5 is the most they would take. Ellis, Powell and anderson do not have committable offers. Wright is #1 and mccoy will always have a spot. Higgins and tongue are committing in August so we will know where that sorts sooner than the others. 

12 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

5 is the most they would take. Ellis, Powell and anderson do not have committable offers. Wright is #1 and mccoy will always have a spot. Higgins and tongue are committing in August so we will know where that sorts sooner than the others. 

lolwut

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Wasn't someone just saying that actually Anderson is a pretty high priority target? Maybe I'm misremembering what was said.

Here ya go

On 7/3/2018 at 10:48 PM, closetojumping said:

Midlothian WR - It’s Langston Something - this guy is a higher priority target than anyone but Higgins and Wright.

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think IT and I must have been huffing the same paint. It's looking like they decided to take Houston in the end. I'd be shocked if Anderson remains on the board if they land Houston.

That would be fine with me. Of those three offers we threw out last month, I liked Jaylen Ellis a notch or two above Anderson and Powell (who might be headed to Ohio State as a DB), anyway.