Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Wells on Garrett Wilson:

Reveal hidden contents

Lake Travis' four-star WR Garrett Wilson has had a well-documented recruitment here at Inside Texas for well over a year now. It's been long established that this will likely come down to Texas and Ohio State. Both offer tons of positives. In his eyes, he can't go wrong with either.

Ultimately, I feel like Wilson still isn't sure what's the move. I do know that Texas has advantages that out-of-state writers often aren't aware of. He's told me he'd already be a Longhorn if UT had more of a consistent passing attack. He's mentioned Ohio State has an edge because of offensive consistency.

But understand this; this recruitment won't come down to offenses. It'll be decided by relationships. Wilson has a great rapport with some of the current and future Longhorns. He's a big fan of Tom Herman and the rebuilding project on the 40 Acres. His new OC at LT just left the Horns staff, Will Stein. His family, which is ginormous to him, still resides in the 512.

And most importantly, Texas gets the last official visit. We told you this recruitment would be fun. If the recruits can stay the course, the fans can too.

When are his OV's to each? Is he planning on committing early in the process?

5 minutes ago, lonestar3 said:

When are his OV's to each? Is he planning on committing early in the process?

OVing to Ohio State this weekend, Oving to Texas the weekend after that (Spring Game). Supposedly deciding in early May (Wells thinks so, anyway).

Edited by Machinator

I think it's fair to question Super K's evaluation skills at this point:

2019 OLB/DB Hunter Henry is your every down hybrid LB/DB. 6’1.5, 200+ lbs & has the fluidity & horse power to actualize his excellent man cover instincts. Was repping the 512 with up & coming 7v7 team & community service organization @juice7v7

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I like Davis at Mac/Mike. If for some reason Gbenda doesn't end up in Austin, getting Davis would definitely soften the blow.

Davis is a stud.  His film is legit.  Reminds me of Roach as you could put him as a stand up rush end, hand in the dirt, or a LB spot.  He's a take no matter what IMO.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

With Floyd in the fold and Davis, Gbenda, Lakia Henry, and Tongue all listening to Texas to various degrees, you have to wonder how these guys are being prioritized. It seems unlikely that we'd take all five if all five wanted to come, but I could easily be wrong. 

I can't remember where I read it, but Texas covets Davis. I think there's a lot of work behind the scenes we're not seeing. I wouldn't be surprised if he's No. 1 on their big board. 

I would take Davis, Gbenda, Henry and keep Tongue warm. 

Tongue plays at U Lab and has said he wants to play offense. Two big knocks against him. 

17 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Rian Davis is pretty long, but extremely athletic with good hips. He can definitely play Mike, but I like him better at B-Backer. He could even play a big Rover. 

I like Orlando's blueprint here. Get guys that are athletic enough to play all three LB spots. 

Orlando spoke quite a bit about cross-training in the back 7 because he's not keen on rotating personnel. The recruiting strategy on defense this cycle aligns perfectly with that philosophy. Also makes sense for the secondary because I don't think the pure corner talent in Texas is all that great this cycle.

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I can't remember where I read it, but Texas covets Davis. I think there's a lot of work behind the scenes we're not seeing. I wouldn't be surprised if he's No. 1 on their big board. 

I would take Davis, Gbenda, Henry and keep Tongue warm. 

Tongue plays at U Lab and has said he wants to play offense. Two big knocks against him. 

I mostly agree, although Tongue probably has the best chance of eventually being able to play in space out of the group, but he'd also probably waste half a season figuring out that he can't play WR here. But like you said, he's a U-Lab kid, so LSU could probably swoop in last minute and flip him. 

Just now, Machinator said:

Orlando spoke quite a bit about cross-training in the back 7 because he's not keen on rotating personnel. The recruiting strategy on defense this cycle aligns perfectly with that philosophy. Also makes sense for the secondary because I don't think the pure corner talent in Texas is all that great this cycle.

Agreed. I've seen Marcus Banks projected as a corner, safety and Rover. I think Texas likes him a corner, or they probably wouldn't bother recruiting him like Erick Young and Bobby Wolfe. Banks seems to have the hips necessary for corner. 

I'm glad Texas loaded up in 2018. Watson is a take in any cycle. Banks feels like a slight reach to keep enough depth in the program to reliably run a dime defense. 

Catalon is hopefully Earl Thomas 2.0. He can play anywhere in the secondary, but he will most likely be a safety if he signs with Texas. 

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

I mostly agree, although Tongue probably has the best chance of eventually being able to play in space out of the group, but he'd also probably waste half a season figuring out that he can't play WR here. But like you said, he's a U-Lab kid, so LSU could probably swoop in last minute and flip him. 

LSU fan complaining about IMG is hilarious to me. 

U Lab is like IMG, but on LSU's campus. 

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Agreed. I've seen Marcus Banks projected as a corner, safety and Rover. I think Texas likes him a corner, or they probably wouldn't bother recruiting him like Erick Young and Bobby Wolfe. Banks seems to have the hips necessary for corner. 

I'm glad Texas loaded up in 2018. Watson is a take in any cycle. Banks feels like a slight reach to keep enough depth in the program to reliably run a dime defense. 

Catalon is hopefully Earl Thomas 2.0. He can play anywhere in the secondary, but he will most likely be a safety if he signs with Texas. 

I’d like to see more film on him. So far I’m not too thrilled with him asa prospect but he may end up at LSU anyway. Boyce was undersized but his hips jumped out at you as you watched his film and he showed great physicality. You could easily see what he could develop into. So far, I’m not seeing that with Banks but haven’t been able to see a whole lot of him. 

On a side note, I know everyone’s excited about Cook this year, but I might be more excited about Boyce. I think he can be really special in a year or two. Reminds me of someone Patterson would take and then would blow up Year 3.

14 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Marcus Banks as a rover??????

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It didn't make sense to me either. It was some random poster on a Texas board, not a mod.  I had to double check to make sure he didn't mean to write Erick Young. 

Looks like a corner all the way too me

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Boyce and Thompson showing out would be a fantastic bridge to 2020, when our historically good DB class hits year 3. 2019 is going to be very, very interesting for this team because of the 2016/17 class attrition and (relative weakness).

Sounds like Cuffee and Don. Duvernay have already been passed up.

Anyways, isn't Makiya Toungue originally not from Louisiana?  Thought I read an LSU offer wouldn't affect him like normal Louisiana kids.  Also, seems like he could play the Jason Hall position IMO.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

I like Davis at Mac/Mike. If for some reason Gbenda doesn't end up in Austin, getting Davis would definitely soften the blow.

Rian Davis is so much bigger and has good athleticism. I didn't see him making any reads in his HUDL, though. He seems like a B-backer to me.

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Watson + Catalon and the rest of the 2019 DB class is gravy. 

I could see Richardson visiting in the fall. I know Naviar is conceding nothing here, but Texas might want to give Aggy an opportunity to embarrass themselves on the field. 

Just have that feeling we hear about a secret Richardson visit the Sunday after it happens this fall after the season starts gaining clarity. I like our chances with Naviar. 

The 6-foot-2, 175-pound pocket passer.

He's also deceptively athletic,

helping Longview clinch the district track & field championship as the last leg on the 4x100.

You're telling me a pocket passer track star is deceptively athletic? This dude has to be white right? The only misplaced euphemism they're missing is gym rat. How the hell is a track star deceptively athletic? I'm pretty sure a track star is just athletic, no deception.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dilloncp98 said:

I’d really like to get Cine and Catalon at safety, with Watson and one more (possibly banks) at corner. That’d be one long and athletic backfield

Has it ever been said what the deal is with Carter?  I think he's the best in-state CB.