Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

De'Gabriel Floyd on why he committed to Texas:
“Lastly I would say don’t rush into anything. I was committed to USC for 8 months and thought that’s where I would be signing in 2019, but not once did I feel the way I feel now being committed to Texas. Texas is my home, where I have family, friends, a safe environment, great academics, a chance to make an impact in the program early, great coaches who I include in my family circle, and I love the state. That’s why I committed to Texas and will be there earning my spot as soon as possible. I knew I was going to go to Texas after my first trip, once I stepped on campus it felt like home because they checked every box on my list. But I still left that great visit uncommitted because I didn’t want the glitz and glamor that I saw in that few days to make me think I needed to make the decision then and there. I talked to other schools, while talking and building a great relationship with Texas, came back on another trip, felt the same way I did the first time and it was a wrap. I was suppose to take trips to Auburn, Oregon, Georgia, Arizona st, Florida, and UCLA, but I canceled them all because they were a waste of my time. So I knew what I wanted to do, but I took the right steps leading up to making that decision. Although I didn’t go see what all those other schools had to offer, why go see other schools when you know in your heart there’s one that has everything you could dream of.”

Fully recognize it’s a fight to the finish with out of state blue chips, but this kid has publicly and articulately said all the things that you hope he will say about his decision.

4 hours ago, Fud said:

I like EJNO a lot based on hudl and his camp highlights from the army all american combine where he was dominant. I'd be curious to know what the knocks are on him. 

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It's gotta be height. I suspect Herman isn't eager to repeat the Terrell Cuney experience. 

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

Is it possible that EJNO is one of those prospects with issues not relating to talent?

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

11 OL offers out total.  4 have never even visited, 1 apparently isn't a take ( EJ ), and 1 is a pipe dream ( Thomas ).

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

And Wilkins trending away at this time. Hoping for 3 of Johnson, Bragg, Shepherd,  green, and then find a late bloomer Christian Jones type unless all 4 come?  

Is 4 a realistic number for this class?  It seems low. 

I think it is important to remember that no one is bulletproof when playing things back in recruiting. I get a little nervous when you guys think I'm as certain as this in this game. I am passing on info from guys who know their shit front to back, but things change and the staffs don't always see it the same way. The way I understand it is that there are more guys that have a higher probability of succeeding and requiring less effort than the guy we're discussing here, but that's all I know and it is early April. 

Personally, I don't get excited by the guy because he looks like 20 others Texas has taken over the years who were tweeners with no motor. But that's off huddle and scuttlebutt, not in-person observation, which matters a lot, even if I knew what the fuck I was talking about. 

2 hours ago, nycHorn said:

Arky Chad?

This is me and some others following this stuff for a while with an opinion. The sources are informed but no one is declarative on this one. My point is merely to highlight that there is a ton of risk on winning this guy and Arkansas views him as a priority that they do not plan to lose. I don't think we get him, but the staff does. Hope that helps.

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I see it’s time to panic about the OL

1 hour ago, SamTex said:

Cool your tits and let the handman work

I'm not panicked. I think it will be a bad ass OL class, even if there are bumps and shifts along the way. Also, Texas could win 10+, Aggie could lose 7+, and new shit will come to light, again.

10 hours ago, Machinator said:

We're taking at least 5 unless we're a complete disaster on the field next season. And even then, we'll probably take 5 but will have to take a couple more late bloomers than originally anticipated.

Edit: and going 4/4 on Shepherd, Green, Bragg and Johnson was always going to be a tough ask. You guys have just been riding the recruiting roller coaster, much like ATM fans during the regular season.

Even if we miss on some of the highly rated offensive line prospects, I'm not too worried. This is a position group more than any other where you can find late bloomers and underrated guys who are just as good if not better prospects than the known names that have been around for several years by the end of their senior years. If you trust your staff to evaluate and develop, then there's nothing to worry about at a school like Texas. It's obvious some of the highly ranked guys are trending the wrong way as prospects, although don't get me wrong, I'd love to win those recruitments if nothing else to run in A&M's face and to help us finish towards the top of the recruiting rankings. 

EJ after dark: Five-star DB planning spring OV to Texas

— According to a Louisiana source, five-star Dunham School (La.) cornerback Derek Stingley will make a spring official visit to Texas. Stingley does not have a firm date set in stone, but it should take place at some point in May. Stingley recently listed Texas in his top schools. However, LSU is still considered the favorite at this time.

— One out-of-state safety prospect that Texas is evaluating and could offer is Williams Field (AZ) product Noa Pola-Gates. With that said, he named Alabama his leader, so obviously, there is understandable hesitation. A four-star recruit, Pola-Gates is a high potential prospect and is ranked as the No. 12 safety in the country.

— Texas holds our early Crystal Ball predictions for four-star 2020 Duncanville safety Chris Thompson Jr. He has connections to the program and a great relationship with safeties coach Craig Naivar. However, we are told Texas A&M actually holds the edge right now. He is scheduled to visit there again this weekend.

— Darius Snow, the nation’s top safety in the 2020 class, is set to make an unofficial visit to Texas for the spring game on April 21. Snow visited UT for junior day weekend in February and is very high on the Longhorns early on. He is keeping in weekly contact with Naivar and is excited to get back to Austin.

19 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Watson, Nana and Johnson (could even see Leal, especially if he cancels this weeks OV to aggy)

18 minutes ago, Fud said:

My guess as well 

I agree with the three mentioned. 

It feels like NaNa is visiting Notre Dame to keep his folks and his coaches happy. He's all Texas. 

Watson is probably visiting Notre Dame out of respect for them recruiting him for so long. Again all Texas. 

I'm not sure what Johnson's motivations are for not shutting it down already. 

It's a gut feeling, but I could see Wiggins take a West Coast trip. He's mentioned it in previous interviews. He doesn't have anything firm lined up, but he seems to be considering it. 

Today’s TFB Open Post is packed: 

http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/04/open-post-wednesday-april-11th/

David Gbenda:  It appears that Texas nailed 4-star Linebacker David Gbenda’s trip this past weekend. Gbenda visited Texas on Saturday to take in the scrimmage, and to get a feel for the practice environment and player life.

It seems he was impressed, “It was live!…the intensity and the way they were hitting each other and getting after each other was eye opening.” While he’s watched plenty of college football, he was again blown away by how hard Texas was going for a practice scrimmage. The intensity of the practice really made a huge impression on him.

David also took note of fellow linebacker Ayodele Adeoye and how he’s adjusted to college ball, “Dele is big… like… really big… he’s pretty solid. His transition from high school to college is impressive.”

While Gbenda was unable to chat with Tom Herman beyond pleasantries, he did speak with the lead of his recruitment, Todd Orlando. Orlando mentioned a few names to Gbenda to keep an eye on during practice, and how to approach his recruitment. It appears Gbenda and Orlando have developed a good relationship with some solid trust.

Beyond getting a feel for Texas on the field, Gbenda really wanted to know what a player’s life is like, and who his future teammates are. “I got to stay afterwards and catch-up with Gary Johnson, Ayodele [Adeoye], and BJ Foster… I asked them why they choose this school and what other schools recruited them… they all told me that it felt like home… I’m still waiting to get that same feeling of, ‘This is home.’” His talk with Gary Johnson focused mostly around, “What it was like playing at Texas and the linebacker depth. I also wanted to know what Orlando is like as a coach, and how it’s all run.”

But, his biggest take away from the weekend was a mix of the two things he came to see, “What stood out most to me was the relationship between the players and the intensity of practice…” He told me he felt the young guys had really integrated quickly, “Seeing the way BJ, Dele, Toneil, and Eagles interacted with their teammates…”

By all accounts, Tom Herman and his staff continue to impress their targets, particularly once they get them on campus. – (Will)

– As we reported early last week, Texas has really turned up the heat in the recruitment of 4-star Defensive End NaNa Osafo-Mensah. We also reported, 4 weeks ago, that the likely outcome of the recruitment would be Notre Dame and Texas battling it out. Well, that appears to be the case as he looks to commit soon.

It used to be a Notre Dame and Texas A&M battle, but after Texas made a very hard push and as a source told us, “Went all in to make sure he knew he was a top guy” Texas A&M became an after thought.

One reason Texas seemed to have slow played his recruitment, or as a source put it, “”was late to the party, but for good reason” is that NaNa is built for putting his hand in the dirt and he had never done so until last year. Texas wasn’t sure where he would fit in their scheme, and since he hadn’t been a Defensive End for an extended time, they wanted to make sure they liked what they saw. Well, they liked what they saw and have let NaNa know.

Notre Dame on the other side, has done a great job sticking with NaNa and their D-Line Coach Elson, has fostered a great relationship with the talent.

NaNa is torn between Notre Dame and Texas. Another source told us the two are in a “dead heat… NaNa sat down and did a list of pros and cons and it was split right down the middle.” Despite this, NaNa has refused to push back his May 19th decision date and has maintained that he will know when that date comes. He will take two official visits and one other for a back up. One to Texas on May 5th and the other to Notre Dame on April 13th. – (Will)

– Kenyon Jackson: Most of the talk regarding the Wide Receiver position in 2019 for Texas has revolved around in-state Wide Receivers. Guys like Garrett Wilson, Jordan Whittington, Elijah Higgins, and Dylan Wright are some that come to mind.

But, there is an intriguing out of state wide out who is planning to officially visit Texas. And that is Grayson (GA) WR Kenyon Jackson. He’s a 6’5 200 pound Wide Receiver, who could be someone who replaces Collin Johnson in the future.

Jackson was committed to LSU for a while before reopening his recruitment. Right now, Jackson doesn’t have a date for the visit and he told me “I’m waiting on coach to hit me back with a date” for him to visit. He also plans to visit Texas A&M, Penn State, and Ole Miss.

I wouldn’t put Jackson above any of the in-state guys that I mentioned above. But, he is a big-bodied Wide Receiver that has a lot of upside. Getting him on campus is the first step into seeing how much of a shot Texas has to land him. He sounds like he’s really interested in Texas, but this recruitment is wide-open. – (Andrew)

– Bru McCoy: I caught up with the father of elite 2019 LB/WR, Bru McCoy (Santa Ana, CA). McCoy is one of the most highly coveted athletes in the country. He has been in regular communication with Texas and apparently the family likes what they are hearing.

McCoy Sr tells me that they are planning to visit Texas at the end of the month, April 28th. McCoy’s father said happily, “Texas likes to call it Bru McCoy Day”. He added that Bryan Carrington coined the phrase

As a side note, after seeing everyone steal Carrington’s shhh emoji, I won’t be surprised if “Bru McCoy Day” starts to show up as recruiting pitch for other schools.

Speaking with a source, I was told that McCoy is actually friends with Texas commit, DeGabriel Floyd. I was also told that Floyd is recruiting McCoy to Texas.

I hope to have a full story up on McCoy, shortly.

We are really starting to see Tom Herman’s initial strategy of trying to get the best in the country unfold. He started off his first year being competitive on the field and winning in-state recruiting battles. Now, they’re starting to fight and win some out of state battles. If two or three of those competitive games go the other way and Herman is recruiting from a 8-9 win season, the momentum at a place like Texas becomes hard to stop. (Super K)

– Last week, Will mentioned in his post about Garrett Wilson

Right now, from everything we’ve heard around Garrett Wilson, we don’t feel as confident in where Texas stands. We believe Ohio State has a bit of a lead at the moment.

Since then I’ve been asked about our position. Garrett has spoken pretty candidly with us throughout the process about where things stand. We’ve kept his confidence.

You may have seen a number of analysts from other sites are now beginning to note that Ohio State does indeed hold a slight lead.

I want to be very clear that while we continue to believe that Ohio State holds a small lead, we do not believe a final decision has been made. Garrett has made it pretty clear to us that the decision is proving extremely difficult, which would indicate a final decision hasn’t been made.

It’s my understanding that what is giving Ohio State a bit of an edge at the moment is the stability that Urban Meyer has created at Ohio State.

It goes without saying that Texas really needs to land offensive weapons that are truly dangerous. Garrett is that guy. A bit of a side note, per our sources on the OU side, Baker Mayfield, who has thrown around with Garrett on numerous occasions compared him to the Sooners impact freshman CeeDee Lamb.

So, these next two weeks will be critical as a decision is expected to come shortly after his April 20th-22nd visit to Texas. – (Super K)

– I heard that 2019 OL, Jack Stewart (New Canaan, CT) visited Texas on Tuesday. I sent Stewart a text message and am waiting to hear back for confirmation.

Stewart doesn’t currently hold a Texas offer but he does hold offers to schools like Texas A&M, Notre Dame, Michigan and others.

– I spoke with 2019 OLB/DE, NaNa Osafo-Mensah. He tells me that this Thursday he will be cutting his list down, significantly. Texas will make the cut.

NaNa tells me he still set to commit on May 19th. The next few weeks will be critical. He’ll be at Notre Dame this weekend.

With a name like Mensah, Tom Herman has to land this young man. – (Super K)

– Recently, I was able to catch up with 2019 Conroe, TX Oak Ridge OT Tyler Johnson’s mother to discuss their visit to Texas this past Saturday. Johnson has already been on campus multiple times before and returned this go around with his mother, father and a teammate as well.

If you remember the last visit, one of the main things that stood out to Mrs. Johnson was the one-on-one time they got to spend with a current Texas OL’s Mom to hear what all she had to say about her sons every day life.

This go around however, it was a few different things that stood out. Getting to spend time with Director of Player Development, Kevin Washington was one. During their conversation Coach Washington talked about more of life outside of football, being what they do in the community, helping with resumes for the professional side as they move on after football and more. The conversation being more personal about life outside of football and how the program can help is something that really seemed to impress Mrs. Johnson.

The other was getting the chance to see the Offensive Line meeting room when they were invited in during the Offensive Line meeting.

They obviously got the chance to get some more face time with Coach Herman, his wife, who Mrs. Johnson stated she loves and Offensive Line coach Herb Hand. Mrs. Johnson said they still talk with Coach Hand often so it was good to not only speak with him in person again but also get the chance to see him coach and teach during the scrimmage. Again, teaching is something Mrs. Johnson always emphasizes when she talks about Hand.

As far as the scrimmage goes, she said it was fun to watch the team battle and that they obviously had their eyes on the offensive line to see how they performed.

Moving forward she said that they will be taking an official visit to Oklahoma this upcoming weekend. The Sooners and their coaching staff are also a main stay with Johnson at this point so will be interesting to hear what they think after this upcoming visit. Shortly after she said they will look to sit down and talk about things to really start narrowing down their plans in the future whether it be taking more officials or not.

As far as Texas goes, the Longhorns will get an official and Mrs. Johnson said that will most likely be soon.

Recapping their visit this past weekend, it’s simple, the comfortability they feel with the Longhorns as far as a program itself and their football program couldn’t seem to be better. – (Alex)

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I'm not panicked. I think it will be a bad ass OL class, even if there are bumps and shifts along the way. Also, Texas could win 10+, Aggie could lose 7+, and new shit will come to light, again.

April 14   MAROON & WHITE GAME  WIN
Sept. 1    NORTHWESTERN STATE     WIN
Sept. 8    CLEMSON                               LOSS
Sept. 15    LOUISIANA-MONROE          WIN
Sept. 22    at Alabama                           LOSS
Sept. 29    vs. Arkansas (Arlington)     TOSSUP
Oct. 6    KENTUCKY                               WIN
Oct. 13    at South Carolina                   TOSSUP
Oct. 20    Open Date                               WIN
Oct. 27    at Mississippi State              TOSSUP
Nov. 3    at Auburn                                 LOSS
Nov. 10    OLE MISS                               WIN
Nov. 17    UAB                                         WIN
Nov. 24    LSU                                          LOSS

Going to need to have no surprise wins to go over 7, and also lose all those tossup games.  With that schedule it will be hard to get to 7+ but it would be funny. 

Edited by markstanco
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Going to need to have no surprise wins to go over 7, and also lose all those tossup games.  With that schedule it will be hard to get to 7+ but it would be funny. 

@ Miss. State is a loss.  They return 17 starters.  Kentucky is more of a toss up than a win.  10 starters back on defense should do well against what will be a putrid offense.

Arky Chad, along with many others, are going to toast that secondary.  They are slow and have really no legit CB's.  Even as much as that got burned last year Armani Watts was able to cover up some of the breakdowns in coverage.  Tucker and Wilson don't have that type of speed/instincts for that.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Here's what you have to remember: even a 6-6 record, with losses to arky Chad (they're due) and one of the SC/MissSt, will have terrible optics after Sumlin consistently eeked out 8 win seasons. Couple that with an 8-9 win season in Austin, and the early signing period should be fun.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skyline said:

McCoy Sr tells me that they are planning to visit Texas at the end of the month, April 28th. McCoy’s father said happily, “Texas likes to call it Bru McCoy Day”. He added that Bryan Carrington coined the phrase

As a side note, after seeing everyone steal Carrington’s shhh emoji, I won’t be surprised if “Bru McCoy Day” starts to show up as recruiting pitch for other schools.

Carrington doing work!

10 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Wasn't he before?  This is not gruntling.

I don't think Gbenda has ever been considered a silent commit. His dad was really high on UT after their first visit and I think people ran with it, but I dont remember anything saying he was a silent or anything like that. 

• Like 1

IT Recruiting Notebook - 4/11/18

By: Justin Wells and Ian Boyd

The Notebook starts in the Metroplex with an elite athlete catching passes, then head down I-35 to San Antonio for the state's monster DE, swing over to H-town for the one of the state's top OL, then hitch a ride to Florida for UT's top RB target. The Recruiting Notebook, y'all. 

Dylan Wright, WR - West Mesquite HS (2019)
Hudl/highlights

How he fits at Texas: Wright seems to be amongst the best of 2019's big, athletic outside receivers that are hard to keep under wraps with a single DB in coverage. He's an obvious candidate at the X receiver position with his fluidity running slants or beating teams over the top with his jump ball skills. Wright is also athletic and versatile enough that he might grow into the kind of route runner that Texas looks to move all over the field but he certainly checks off the boxes for a big outside target. - Ian Boyd

Coach Says: Strengths - Tall, long-striding athlete with smooth quick acceleration. Room to add bulk. Gets off the line smoothly. Fights the press well. Shows good break into his cuts and doesn’t lose a lot of speed with change of direction. Routes on film appear well run. Finds the open space and doesn’t need a lot of space to be open. Catches the ball with soft hands and away from his body. Has a second gear in open field to daylight with very good top end speed. Has very good leaping ability and times/high-points the ball well. Adjusts pretty well to the poor throw. Areas for Improvement - Listed height varies widely. Looks closer to 6-foot-3 in person than 6-foot-5. Limited number of routes. Run blocking on tape seems to be more of the cheap shot variety. Took plays off when I saw him and telegraphed when he was or wasn’t involved especially when his team was down late in the game. Transferred schools after sophomore year and that may be cause for concern. Will he do what’s required to be successful or what’s easy? Is he going to transfer when things don’t go his way?

How this affects Texas: Wright has the most athletic upside of any receiver in-state in 2019. Tall, fast, body control, good hands, and high points the ball at an elite level. With Texas likely taking four WRs in 2019, Wright is the consummate outside pass-catcher who can stretch the field. He's got a long list of suitors - Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and a trip to Florida State this weekend. Regardless, UT has put themselves in a great position to pluck the uber athletic red zone nightmare. - Justin Wells

DeMarvin Leal, DL - Converse Judson HS (2019)
Hudl/highlights

How he fits at Texas: Leal looks a lot like a sophomore-in-college Charles Omenihu as a junior in high school. He's one of the rare DL that thrive as an edge rusher but is big enough to play in the modern 4i-technique position and become a B-gap clogger and still offer something as a pass-rusher from that mostly run-stuffing alignment. He's long and quick with a few moves already for winning inside or outside from the 3-4 DE position. He has the size and explosiveness off the ball to grow into a nightmare at the position in college, probably sooner than later. - IB

Coach says: Strengths - Has size to play anywhere on the line. Thickly built through the lower body and tremendous lower body strength evident on tape. Long arms. Very quick off the ball and through gaps. Excellent hip roll. Shows double moves on pass rush. Always has an eye in the backfield and has tremendous awareness. Once through the line has outstanding closing speed on the ball for a lineman. He's a flat out baller looking to destroy every play. I’m pretty sure that Hudl told him he’d run out of room for highlights with a junior highlight video of over nine minutes. I could see Todd Orlando turn this guy into a really bad man. Has special teams highlights too which is always a plus. Areas for Improvement - Could add some bulk to the upper body.

How this affects Texas: The state's top prospect is a known quantity in this region, and soon the nation. The big-time defensive lineman can play all along the d-line. Made for 4i, but the frame to add muscle and slide inside. Texas will reload along the defensive interior with this class. Leal is the priority. The best part is Texas looks better and better here. The proximity is enticing, his mother loves the UT staff, and a guy his size that excels on the basketball court is a rare find. Reminds me of a more athletic Jason Peters (Queen City, TX). Except he's destined for the defensive side. He's visited UT twice in the last two months. Another trip to Austin soon wouldn't surprise me. - JW

Noah Cain, RB - IMG Academy (FL) via Denton Guyer (2019)
Hudl/highlights

How he fits at Texas: "Nova" Cain has the right nickname for his playing style. At 215 pounds with a penchant for getting north and south, he's a powerful inside runner that figures to thrive in a context where he can get second half carries in a power offense. He's already really solid in inside zone concepts and is an easy fit for the scheme at Texas and has the necessary athleticism and lateral quicks to win outside as well. He's a lot like Daniel Young, a really good fit for picking up tough and steady yardage over the course of the game but with a diverse enough skill set to run outside, help protect the QB, and catch the ball out of the backfield. - IB

Coach Says: Strengths - A solidly built runner with a thick lower body. Out of stance with good first steps. Outstanding vision and patience. Very good zone runner. Good acceleration to top speed quickly. Sets up blockers very well and consistently shows great lateral movement and agility making people miss. Fits into small creases and is through with ease. Top speed appears to be very good. Good stiff arm. Strong runner with great lower body power who keeps legs moving on contact. Carries defenders and rarely goes down on first contact. Is already a plus blocker in pass protection and looks like he really understands it. Appears to take a lot of pride in all aspects of his game (not just running the ball). Shows good hands on film and adjusts well to the ball in the air. Holds the ball high and tight. Doesn’t seem to be a ball security risk. Tremendously productive player. Numerous accolades including All-State (Texas) as a sophomore and All-USA honors. Areas for Improvement - Have to search high and low to find criticism here. Sometimes stays too high in pass protection against bigger players. I question whether he has elite game speed.

How this affects Texas: Texas needs two running backs in 2019. If they take two is a different story. One for sure will happen and Cain is at the top of the wish list. The former Denton Guyer standout now resides in Florida and is still racking up big games and big numbers. I like @Eric Nahlin comparison to Frank Gore. Cain and Texas make a lot of sense, but LSU is the primary threat here. He's got family including his father in Baton Rouge and that'll be a factor. He's scheduled to return to Austin for the spring game. Good...the more he sees the 40 Acres, the more I can see UT grabbing him. - JW

Javonne Shepherd, OT - Houston North Forest HS (2019)
Hudl/highlights

How he fits at Texas: Shepherd is a massive human being who played in an offensive scheme that regularly asked him to find and connect on targets in space on outside zone runs. He performed that task with relative grace and ease, which speaks to his athleticism and potential as a left tackle in the college game. Between his quick feet and length, it's very difficult to to get somewhere on the field that Shepherd doesn't want you to access. His limited opportunities to play bully ball look really promising but at tackle for Texas he'd still get a lot of fun opportunities to block down on LBs at the next level, a role he should thrive in. - IB

Coach says: Strengths - Excellent frame and size for the tackle position. More toned than fat. Long arms. Out of his stance quickly and smoothly. Excellent hip and knee bend. Shows numerous blocking styles in run game. Hand placement is usually very good. Keeps his feet moving while engaged. Able to effectively pull on the counter play and shows some good second level blocking ability. Good motor sustaining blocks well downfield. Never loses a strength battle and has good understanding of leverage. Areas for improvement - Acceleration seemed limited on a couple of plays but this seemed an inconsistent finding. Pass protection film is limited. Haven’t seen him defend against a double move. Foot speed is adequate but only seems to barely get out in front of the quick screen. This may be an issue against faster collegiate players.

How this affects Texas: Big, strong, and barely scratching the surface of his potential. A left tackle in potential, a right tackle in reality. He's got the feet, strong punch, and disposition to hold down the blind side. He's a little raw, but with UT targeting him along with Tyler Johnson, Branson Bragg, Kenyon Green, and Stacey Wilkins, they'll look to take 4-5 offensive linemen. Once an A&M lean, he's now looking harder at Austin because...well.. Austin. And Herb Hand. Texas looks good here and I don't see that changing anytime soon. - JW

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT Recruiting Notebook - 4/11/18

Reveal hidden contents

By: Justin Wells and Ian Boyd

The Notebook starts in the Metroplex with an elite athlete catching passes, then head down I-35 to San Antonio for the state's monster DE, swing over to H-town for the one of the state's top OL, then hitch a ride to Florida for UT's top RB target. The Recruiting Notebook, y'all. 

Dylan Wright, WR - West Mesquite HS (2019)
Hudl/highlights

How he fits at Texas: Wright seems to be amongst the best of 2019's big, athletic outside receivers that are hard to keep under wraps with a single DB in coverage. He's an obvious candidate at the X receiver position with his fluidity running slants or beating teams over the top with his jump ball skills. Wright is also athletic and versatile enough that he might grow into the kind of route runner that Texas looks to move all over the field but he certainly checks off the boxes for a big outside target. - Ian Boyd

Coach Says: Strengths - Tall, long-striding athlete with smooth quick acceleration. Room to add bulk. Gets off the line smoothly. Fights the press well. Shows good break into his cuts and doesn’t lose a lot of speed with change of direction. Routes on film appear well run. Finds the open space and doesn’t need a lot of space to be open. Catches the ball with soft hands and away from his body. Has a second gear in open field to daylight with very good top end speed. Has very good leaping ability and times/high-points the ball well. Adjusts pretty well to the poor throw. Areas for Improvement - Listed height varies widely. Looks closer to 6-foot-3 in person than 6-foot-5. Limited number of routes. Run blocking on tape seems to be more of the cheap shot variety. Took plays off when I saw him and telegraphed when he was or wasn’t involved especially when his team was down late in the game. Transferred schools after sophomore year and that may be cause for concern. Will he do what’s required to be successful or what’s easy? Is he going to transfer when things don’t go his way?

How this affects Texas: Wright has the most athletic upside of any receiver in-state in 2019. Tall, fast, body control, good hands, and high points the ball at an elite level. With Texas likely taking four WRs in 2019, Wright is the consummate outside pass-catcher who can stretch the field. He's got a long list of suitors - Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and a trip to Florida State this weekend. Regardless, UT has put themselves in a great position to pluck the uber athletic red zone nightmare. - Justin Wells

DeMarvin Leal, DL - Converse Judson HS (2019)
Hudl/highlights

How he fits at Texas: Leal looks a lot like a sophomore-in-college Charles Omenihu as a junior in high school. He's one of the rare DL that thrive as an edge rusher but is big enough to play in the modern 4i-technique position and become a B-gap clogger and still offer something as a pass-rusher from that mostly run-stuffing alignment. He's long and quick with a few moves already for winning inside or outside from the 3-4 DE position. He has the size and explosiveness off the ball to grow into a nightmare at the position in college, probably sooner than later. - IB

Coach says: Strengths - Has size to play anywhere on the line. Thickly built through the lower body and tremendous lower body strength evident on tape. Long arms. Very quick off the ball and through gaps. Excellent hip roll. Shows double moves on pass rush. Always has an eye in the backfield and has tremendous awareness. Once through the line has outstanding closing speed on the ball for a lineman. He's a flat out baller looking to destroy every play. I’m pretty sure that Hudl told him he’d run out of room for highlights with a junior highlight video of over nine minutes. I could see Todd Orlando turn this guy into a really bad man. Has special teams highlights too which is always a plus. Areas for Improvement - Could add some bulk to the upper body.

How this affects Texas: The state's top prospect is a known quantity in this region, and soon the nation. The big-time defensive lineman can play all along the d-line. Made for 4i, but the frame to add muscle and slide inside. Texas will reload along the defensive interior with this class. Leal is the priority. The best part is Texas looks better and better here. The proximity is enticing, his mother loves the UT staff, and a guy his size that excels on the basketball court is a rare find. Reminds me of a more athletic Jason Peters (Queen City, TX). Except he's destined for the defensive side. He's visited UT twice in the last two months. Another trip to Austin soon wouldn't surprise me. - JW

Noah Cain, RB - IMG Academy (FL) via Denton Guyer (2019)
Hudl/highlights

How he fits at Texas: "Nova" Cain has the right nickname for his playing style. At 215 pounds with a penchant for getting north and south, he's a powerful inside runner that figures to thrive in a context where he can get second half carries in a power offense. He's already really solid in inside zone concepts and is an easy fit for the scheme at Texas and has the necessary athleticism and lateral quicks to win outside as well. He's a lot like Daniel Young, a really good fit for picking up tough and steady yardage over the course of the game but with a diverse enough skill set to run outside, help protect the QB, and catch the ball out of the backfield. - IB

Coach Says: Strengths - A solidly built runner with a thick lower body. Out of stance with good first steps. Outstanding vision and patience. Very good zone runner. Good acceleration to top speed quickly. Sets up blockers very well and consistently shows great lateral movement and agility making people miss. Fits into small creases and is through with ease. Top speed appears to be very good. Good stiff arm. Strong runner with great lower body power who keeps legs moving on contact. Carries defenders and rarely goes down on first contact. Is already a plus blocker in pass protection and looks like he really understands it. Appears to take a lot of pride in all aspects of his game (not just running the ball). Shows good hands on film and adjusts well to the ball in the air. Holds the ball high and tight. Doesn’t seem to be a ball security risk. Tremendously productive player. Numerous accolades including All-State (Texas) as a sophomore and All-USA honors. Areas for Improvement - Have to search high and low to find criticism here. Sometimes stays too high in pass protection against bigger players. I question whether he has elite game speed.

How this affects Texas: Texas needs two running backs in 2019. If they take two is a different story. One for sure will happen and Cain is at the top of the wish list. The former Denton Guyer standout now resides in Florida and is still racking up big games and big numbers. I like @Eric Nahlin comparison to Frank Gore. Cain and Texas make a lot of sense, but LSU is the primary threat here. He's got family including his father in Baton Rouge and that'll be a factor. He's scheduled to return to Austin for the spring game. Good...the more he sees the 40 Acres, the more I can see UT grabbing him. - JW

Javonne Shepherd, OT - Houston North Forest HS (2019)
Hudl/highlights

How he fits at Texas: Shepherd is a massive human being who played in an offensive scheme that regularly asked him to find and connect on targets in space on outside zone runs. He performed that task with relative grace and ease, which speaks to his athleticism and potential as a left tackle in the college game. Between his quick feet and length, it's very difficult to to get somewhere on the field that Shepherd doesn't want you to access. His limited opportunities to play bully ball look really promising but at tackle for Texas he'd still get a lot of fun opportunities to block down on LBs at the next level, a role he should thrive in. - IB

Coach says: Strengths - Excellent frame and size for the tackle position. More toned than fat. Long arms. Out of his stance quickly and smoothly. Excellent hip and knee bend. Shows numerous blocking styles in run game. Hand placement is usually very good. Keeps his feet moving while engaged. Able to effectively pull on the counter play and shows some good second level blocking ability. Good motor sustaining blocks well downfield. Never loses a strength battle and has good understanding of leverage. Areas for improvement - Acceleration seemed limited on a couple of plays but this seemed an inconsistent finding. Pass protection film is limited. Haven’t seen him defend against a double move. Foot speed is adequate but only seems to barely get out in front of the quick screen. This may be an issue against faster collegiate players.

How this affects Texas: Big, strong, and barely scratching the surface of his potential. A left tackle in potential, a right tackle in reality. He's got the feet, strong punch, and disposition to hold down the blind side. He's a little raw, but with UT targeting him along with Tyler Johnson, Branson Bragg, Kenyon Green, and Stacey Wilkins, they'll look to take 4-5 offensive linemen. Once an A&M lean, he's now looking harder at Austin because...well.. Austin. And Herb Hand. Texas looks good here and I don't see that changing anytime soon. - JW

I'm hoping IT knows something about Shepherd because they've been feeling pretty good about that recruitment lately.  Let's hope he makes it to the spring game.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

I've read here (shaggy) that the aggies roster was shit and that they'd only win five games for the past three offseasons, yet they still win 8 every year. Maybe that will be the case this year and I will laugh hysterically if it is, but the broken record has skipped too many times for me to wholeheartedly agree with it.. 

21 minutes ago, Orange^White said:

I've read here (shaggy) that the aggies roster was shit and that they'd only win five games for the past three offseasons, yet they still win 8 every year. Maybe that will be the case this year and I will laugh hysterically if it is, but the broken record has skipped too many times for me to wholeheartedly agree with it.. 

Same here. There have been so many bad teams on their schedule the past few years. This year may be different with Clemson being good, plus maybe a better arky squad and uk getting better last year with lots of returning starters. 

I do think it’s safe to presume they will underperform their fans’ expectations.  So we got that going for us, which is nice. 

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

disgruntling indeed.

OTOH, I really like Tongue as a football player. Not a huge fan of the name though unless it is pronounced ton gooey.

Isn't he Reggies Tongue's kid? He's on the NFL Mt. Rushmore of body part names along with Harry Colon (the goat), Jerry Ball and Norman Hand.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Same here. There have been so many bad teams on their schedule the past few years. This year may be different with Clemson being good, plus maybe a better arky squad and uk getting better last year with lots of returning starters. 

I do think it’s safe to presume they will underperform their fans’ expectations.  So we got that going for us, which is nice. 

This is totally fair.  Shaggy did predict 6 wins the last two seasons on the recruiting boards.  But the effects of recruiting classes are felt on the field at least a couple years after signing day.  Sumlin's 2015 and 2016 classes will prominently figure into Jimbo's W/L this year, and they leave something to be desired. 

5 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

@ Miss. State is a loss.  They return 17 starters.  Kentucky is more of a toss up than a win.  10 starters back on defense should do well against what will be a putrid offense.

Arky Chad, along with many others, are going to toast that secondary.  They are slow and have really no legit CB's.  Even as much as that got burned last year Armani Watts was able to cover up some of the breakdowns in coverage.  Tucker and Wilson don't have that type of speed/instincts for that.

You obviously don't understand the ONEAL effect. He's Peak LOB all by himself