Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, Fondren & Main said:

You mean 6’s.  I don’t think you know what a 4 is.  I’ve banged a lot of 4’s.

58 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Humble brag?

16 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Brag?  I regretted them all when sober the next day.

The old, "I have never gone to bed with an ugly woman. I have woken up with a few", statement????

EJ after dark: Latest on Tufono, McCoy, recruiting numbers

— According to multiple sources, five-star Mater Dei (Calif.) athlete Bru McCoy is planning to make an unofficial visit to Texas at some point before the end of the month. Texas is also working hard to get him on campus for an official visit over the summer, which we expect to happen. We have also heard that Texas is very much a legitimate player in this recruitment.

— Don’t be surprised if Texas gets four-star Punahou (HI) inside linebacker Maninoa Tufonoin for a visit this offseason. Tufono has expressed a lot of interest in Texas over social media, and Horns247 has learned that he has an uncle that lives in the San Antonio-area. Texas is working hard on Tufono, and it seems like he is keeping his options wide open, so there is definitely a chance here. 

— There have been a lot of questions about numbers this class and how many Texas will take at each position. I’ve been told the staff doesn’t want to lock in positional numbers at this point in the year. They understand there is fluidity to roster needs throughout a cycle and simply want to emphasize recruiting the best prospects. As far as class size goes, I’ve always maintained that numbers have a way of working themselves out, and I wouldn’t be surprised if UT takes more than 20 this cycle.

— Texas is set to host one of the top offensive linemen in the 2020 recruiting class for an unofficial visit next weekend. Horns247 has learned that four-star Clear Creek guard Chad Lindberg will be at the Texas spring game. Lindberg holds early offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Georgia, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and others.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, satyanash said:

EJ after dark: Latest on Tufono, McCoy, recruiting numbers

Hide contents

— According to multiple sources, five-star Mater Dei (Calif.) athlete Bru McCoy is planning to make an unofficial visit to Texas at some point before the end of the month. Texas is also working hard to get him on campus for an official visit over the summer, which we expect to happen. We have also heard that Texas is very much a legitimate player in this recruitment.

— Don’t be surprised if Texas gets four-star Punahou (HI) inside linebacker Maninoa Tufonoin for a visit this offseason. Tufono has expressed a lot of interest in Texas over social media, and Horns247 has learned that he has an uncle that lives in the San Antonio-area. Texas is working hard on Tufono, and it seems like he is keeping his options wide open, so there is definitely a chance here. 

— There have been a lot of questions about numbers this class and how many Texas will take at each position. I’ve been told the staff doesn’t want to lock in positional numbers at this point in the year. They understand there is fluidity to roster needs throughout a cycle and simply want to emphasize recruiting the best prospects. As far as class size goes, I’ve always maintained that numbers have a way of working themselves out, and I wouldn’t be surprised if UT takes more than 20 this cycle.

— Texas is set to host one of the top offensive linemen in the 2020 recruiting class for an unofficial visit next weekend. Horns247 has learned that four-star Clear Creek guard Chad Lindberg will be at the Texas spring game. Lindberg holds early offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Georgia, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and others.

EJ Holland is really pushing the edge there with his call for “UT may take more than 20”. That’s a piercing insight for the masses. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

EJ Holland is really pushing the edge there with his call for “UT may take more than 20”. That’s a piercing insight for the masses. 

Only a guy like that that outworks everybody in the business can provide this kind of insight.

3 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Doesn't look like Eagles to me. Maybe Pouncey?

Has a red stripe, though, which means it would be one of the freshmen.

Also pretty sure Pouncey has been out of practice recently with a tweaked knee or ankle or something.

Edited by Katfid54

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

Has a red stripe, though, which means it would be one of the freshmen.

Also pretty sure Pouncey has been out of practice recently with a tweaked knee or ankle or something.

I'm pretty sure redshirt freshmen still have the stripe on. FWIW, Texas tagged it as a Leitao, which would make sense for a TE to go up against a LB in that drill. 

6 minutes ago, Fico said:

The stripe is for skill players, it is so the coach know where their eyes are when watching film.

Red stripe indicates a freshmen who has not earned the right to remove it. Black stripe is used to look at eyes on tape but from pictures this is solely on question helmets

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Teaching them to blame block with their eyes closed? 

Yes and apparently our own teammates!  Block the other team you numbskulls!

75cmxdMD_t.gif

Edit:  Blow yourself IMGUR!

Edited by nycHorn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, nycHorn said:

Yes and apparently our own teammates!  Block the other team you numbskulls!

75cmxdMD_t.gif

Edit:  Blow yourself IMGUR!

Reminds me of that FSU lineman falling asleep. They are doing wonderful things for college football in that state... lol

FSU Lineman Zebrie Sanders sleeping during the game

Edited by PHLaggie

6 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

Reminds me of that FSU lineman falling asleep. They are doing wonderful things for college football in that state... lol

FSU Lineman Zebrie Sanders sleeping during the game

What year was that? There’s no way a Jimbo coached offense would include something as embarrassing as this!

Eric Nahlin - Big recruiting weekend....but not for UT

Regional recruiting rivals are each set to host a solid list of visitors for their respective spring game weekends.

This will undoubtedly lead to some tense moments for the fretful sect of Texas recruitniks -- the ones whose lachrymosity cascades down my beloved Prospects Board -- but keep in mind Texas will hold its rebuttal next weekend, under the lights, and all to itself.

It's a bit of a plus that A&M and OU are holding events simultaneously. Big weekends in Norman should cause alarm for even the most stoic follower of Longhorn recruiting. I don't know what they do on these weekends, rather, I don't know what I can publish, but whatever it is it works.

Lincoln Riley is as formidable an in-person recruiter as Tom Herman. He has recent success on his side; he's at a school with rich tradition; and the school has proven capable of recruiting coast to coast.

Jimbo Fisher is recruiting with fervor, though he hasn't found the wind as consistently at his back as he probably thought he would. There have been funny reports of Tom Herman "fearing" Fisher's staff. No, ha ha, but he does respect the staff Fisher assembled. The recruiting Bermuda triangle of Florida-Miami-FSU is even more daunting to navigate than UT-OU-A&M. Except maybe not when you're at A&M.

We'll first take a look at those potential Aggies.

A&M

Official Visitors (* denotes commit):

*DB Demani Richardson
*DB Brian Williams
DB Bobby Wolfe
DB Erick Young
CB Jeffrey Carter
DL DeMarvin Leal

Thoughts: It's feasible the Aggies land those five DB's and it would be a very good haul, if safety-heavy. In the vein of Leon O'Neal, I expect Wolfe to re-commit, and Young will likely join him over his teammate Jamal Morris at OU (presumably). Now, why they wouldn't hold off Williams and Richardson taking OV's for a later date is odd to me. An OV has some strategic value and they gain little by using them now on committed players. Leal is the biggest prize in-state but even most Aggie writers feel he'll end up at Texas. Expect a 'big move' article or two on Leal after the weekend, though.

Unofficial Visitors:

DL Marcus Stripling
LB David Ugwoegbu
TE Baylor Cupp
OL Branson Bragg
CB Marcus Banks
WR Elijah Higgins
DB Dwight McGlothern ('20)
CB RJ Mickens ('20)
DL Camron Jackson ('20)
OL Chad Lindberg ('20)

Thoughts: Nice mix of talent here, including a handful of Texas priorities. I bet they get Cupp, perhaps even soon, and they're in good shape for Stripling and Ugwoegbu (I think Texas cooled there, I need to check). UT will be tough to beat for McGlothern, A&M will be tough to beat for Mickens, Jackson will likely end up at Bama, and Lindberg is taking his Scandinavian thick ankles to Aggieland in all likelihood. He's pretty big-time.

OKLAHOMA

Official Visitors:

CB Jaden Davis
WR Arjei Henderson
OT Tyler Johnson
DB Jarrian Jones
DB Jamal Morris
CB Chris Steele
WR Theo Wease

Thoughts: Davis, the Florida product, will take an official visit to UT on May 5th. I hear it will be down to Florida and Miami in the end. Maybe OU can get the gears turning in his head that, "hey, going out of state isn't all that bad, I just don't want to be in a place that goes fishing with their arm." I'm close to not mentioning Henderson and Wease any more, but they are household names and the types that can really help get the ball rolling for Riley. They've already been "committed" to the Sooners and re-"commitments" wouldn't be surprising. Tyler Texas is more than just a town, it's probably a future Longhorn offensive tackle. I've long held the belief that Morris will end up at OU. Steele remains a priority for the Longhorns but he needs to visit, then visit again, before it gets really real.

Unofficial Visitors (* denotes commit):

*WR Trejan Bridges
RB Marcus Major
OT Stacey Wilkins
*RB Jase McClellan ('20)

Thoughts: Bridges probably is the most natural pass catcher in the class. Flat out, OU's wide receiver haul is going to be damn good. Major recently visited Austin and I'm confident the staff will get him back on campus. Wilkins is a high priority for Herb Hand. Previously it was reported he would use an official here but apparently that's not the case. He seems to be legitimately torn between OU, Arkansas, and Texas.

We're setting up for some very big recruiting weekends in back-to-back weeks. Each of these three schools will land very good classes. For Longhorn fans, put your faith in Herman and keep your powder dry.

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Eric Nahlin - Big recruiting weekend....but not for UT

Hide contents

Regional recruiting rivals are each set to host a solid list of visitors for their respective spring game weekends.

This will undoubtedly lead to some tense moments for the fretful sect of Texas recruitniks -- the ones whose lachrymosity cascades down my beloved Prospects Board -- but keep in mind Texas will hold its rebuttal next weekend, under the lights, and all to itself.

It's a bit of a plus that A&M and OU are holding events simultaneously. Big weekends in Norman should cause alarm for even the most stoic follower of Longhorn recruiting. I don't know what they do on these weekends, rather, I don't know what I can publish, but whatever it is it works.

Lincoln Riley is as formidable an in-person recruiter as Tom Herman. He has recent success on his side; he's at a school with rich tradition; and the school has proven capable of recruiting coast to coast.

Jimbo Fisher is recruiting with fervor, though he hasn't found the wind as consistently at his back as he probably thought he would. There have been funny reports of Tom Herman "fearing" Fisher's staff. No, ha ha, but he does respect the staff Fisher assembled. The recruiting Bermuda triangle of Florida-Miami-FSU is even more daunting to navigate than UT-OU-A&M. Except maybe not when you're at A&M.

We'll first take a look at those potential Aggies.

A&M

Official Visitors (* denotes commit):

*DB Demani Richardson
*DB Brian Williams
DB Bobby Wolfe
DB Erick Young
CB Jeffrey Carter
DL DeMarvin Leal

Thoughts: It's feasible the Aggies land those five DB's and it would be a very good haul, if safety-heavy. In the vein of Leon O'Neal, I expect Wolfe to re-commit, and Young will likely join him over his teammate Jamal Morris at OU (presumably). Now, why they wouldn't hold off Williams and Richardson taking OV's for a later date is odd to me. An OV has some strategic value and they gain little by using them now on committed players. Leal is the biggest prize in-state but even most Aggie writers feel he'll end up at Texas. Expect a 'big move' article or two on Leal after the weekend, though.

Unofficial Visitors:

DL Marcus Stripling
LB David Ugwoegbu
TE Baylor Cupp
OL Branson Bragg
CB Marcus Banks
WR Elijah Higgins
DB Dwight McGlothern ('20)
CB RJ Mickens ('20)
DL Camron Jackson ('20)
OL Chad Lindberg ('20)

Thoughts: Nice mix of talent here, including a handful of Texas priorities. I bet they get Cupp, perhaps even soon, and they're in good shape for Stripling and Ugwoegbu (I think Texas cooled there, I need to check). UT will be tough to beat for McGlothern, A&M will be tough to beat for Mickens, Jackson will likely end up at Bama, and Lindberg is taking his Scandinavian thick ankles to Aggieland in all likelihood. He's pretty big-time.

OKLAHOMA

Official Visitors:

CB Jaden Davis
WR Arjei Henderson
OT Tyler Johnson
DB Jarrian Jones
DB Jamal Morris
CB Chris Steele
WR Theo Wease

Thoughts: Davis, the Florida product, will take an official visit to UT on May 5th. I hear it will be down to Florida and Miami in the end. Maybe OU can get the gears turning in his head that, "hey, going out of state isn't all that bad, I just don't want to be in a place that goes fishing with their arm." I'm close to not mentioning Henderson and Wease any more, but they are household names and the types that can really help get the ball rolling for Riley. They've already been "committed" to the Sooners and re-"commitments" wouldn't be surprising. Tyler Texas is more than just a town, it's probably a future Longhorn offensive tackle. I've long held the belief that Morris will end up at OU. Steele remains a priority for the Longhorns but he needs to visit, then visit again, before it gets really real.

Unofficial Visitors (* denotes commit):

*WR Trejan Bridges
RB Marcus Major
OT Stacey Wilkins
*RB Jase McClellan ('20)

Thoughts: Bridges probably is the most natural pass catcher in the class. Flat out, OU's wide receiver haul is going to be damn good. Major recently visited Austin and I'm confident the staff will get him back on campus. Wilkins is a high priority for Herb Hand. Previously it was reported he would use an official here but apparently that's not the case. He seems to be legitimately torn between OU, Arkansas, and Texas.

We're setting up for some very big recruiting weekends in back-to-back weeks. Each of these three schools will land very good classes. For Longhorn fans, put your faith in Herman and keep your powder dry.

All in all, I don't think this is too bad. Bragg and Wilkins are the only ones that could cause some concern imo. 

Herman is reportedly sitting on several commits and several top guys are set to announce within the next monthish, so I think we concede this weekend then get a lot of momentum back after our spring game and in the first half of May.