Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

49 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Eric Nahlin - Big recruiting weekend....but not for UT

Hide contents

Regional recruiting rivals are each set to host a solid list of visitors for their respective spring game weekends.

This will undoubtedly lead to some tense moments for the fretful sect of Texas recruitniks -- the ones whose lachrymosity cascades down my beloved Prospects Board -- but keep in mind Texas will hold its rebuttal next weekend, under the lights, and all to itself.

It's a bit of a plus that A&M and OU are holding events simultaneously. Big weekends in Norman should cause alarm for even the most stoic follower of Longhorn recruiting. I don't know what they do on these weekends, rather, I don't know what I can publish, but whatever it is it works.

Lincoln Riley is as formidable an in-person recruiter as Tom Herman. He has recent success on his side; he's at a school with rich tradition; and the school has proven capable of recruiting coast to coast.

Jimbo Fisher is recruiting with fervor, though he hasn't found the wind as consistently at his back as he probably thought he would. There have been funny reports of Tom Herman "fearing" Fisher's staff. No, ha ha, but he does respect the staff Fisher assembled. The recruiting Bermuda triangle of Florida-Miami-FSU is even more daunting to navigate than UT-OU-A&M. Except maybe not when you're at A&M.

We'll first take a look at those potential Aggies.

A&M

Official Visitors (* denotes commit):

*DB Demani Richardson
*DB Brian Williams
DB Bobby Wolfe
DB Erick Young
CB Jeffrey Carter
DL DeMarvin Leal

Thoughts: It's feasible the Aggies land those five DB's and it would be a very good haul, if safety-heavy. In the vein of Leon O'Neal, I expect Wolfe to re-commit, and Young will likely join him over his teammate Jamal Morris at OU (presumably). Now, why they wouldn't hold off Williams and Richardson taking OV's for a later date is odd to me. An OV has some strategic value and they gain little by using them now on committed players. Leal is the biggest prize in-state but even most Aggie writers feel he'll end up at Texas. Expect a 'big move' article or two on Leal after the weekend, though.

Unofficial Visitors:

DL Marcus Stripling
LB David Ugwoegbu
TE Baylor Cupp
OL Branson Bragg
CB Marcus Banks
WR Elijah Higgins
DB Dwight McGlothern ('20)
CB RJ Mickens ('20)
DL Camron Jackson ('20)
OL Chad Lindberg ('20)

Thoughts: Nice mix of talent here, including a handful of Texas priorities. I bet they get Cupp, perhaps even soon, and they're in good shape for Stripling and Ugwoegbu (I think Texas cooled there, I need to check). UT will be tough to beat for McGlothern, A&M will be tough to beat for Mickens, Jackson will likely end up at Bama, and Lindberg is taking his Scandinavian thick ankles to Aggieland in all likelihood. He's pretty big-time.

OKLAHOMA

Official Visitors:

CB Jaden Davis
WR Arjei Henderson
OT Tyler Johnson
DB Jarrian Jones
DB Jamal Morris
CB Chris Steele
WR Theo Wease

Thoughts: Davis, the Florida product, will take an official visit to UT on May 5th. I hear it will be down to Florida and Miami in the end. Maybe OU can get the gears turning in his head that, "hey, going out of state isn't all that bad, I just don't want to be in a place that goes fishing with their arm." I'm close to not mentioning Henderson and Wease any more, but they are household names and the types that can really help get the ball rolling for Riley. They've already been "committed" to the Sooners and re-"commitments" wouldn't be surprising. Tyler Texas is more than just a town, it's probably a future Longhorn offensive tackle. I've long held the belief that Morris will end up at OU. Steele remains a priority for the Longhorns but he needs to visit, then visit again, before it gets really real.

Unofficial Visitors (* denotes commit):

*WR Trejan Bridges
RB Marcus Major
OT Stacey Wilkins
*RB Jase McClellan ('20)

Thoughts: Bridges probably is the most natural pass catcher in the class. Flat out, OU's wide receiver haul is going to be damn good. Major recently visited Austin and I'm confident the staff will get him back on campus. Wilkins is a high priority for Herb Hand. Previously it was reported he would use an official here but apparently that's not the case. He seems to be legitimately torn between OU, Arkansas, and Texas.

We're setting up for some very big recruiting weekends in back-to-back weeks. Each of these three schools will land very good classes. For Longhorn fans, put your faith in Herman and keep your powder dry.

"It's a bit of a plus that A&M and OU are holding events simultaneously. Big weekends in Norman should cause alarm for even the most stoic follower of Longhorn recruiting. I don't know what they do on these weekends, rather, I don't know what I can publish, but whatever it is it works."

I don't understand this sentence.

3 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

What year was that? There’s no way a Jimbo coached offense would include something as embarrassing as this!

Tony Boselli's kid was caught sleeping on the sideline last year during the FSU/BC game.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This weekend might be a good time to have a commitment go public, give those guys in Norman and cs something to talk about. 

Would love to see Leal commit to Texas the second he leaves from “the station.”  That would be glorious.

• Like 1

Not a lot - Mama's tired, it's a fend for yourself weekend.  There's some pizza in the fridge, frozen chicken and vegetables, and donuts from Monday. 

Ha. I love fend for yourself weekends. I always end up finding one kid eating ice cream for lunch and the other making peanut butter and x sandwiches where x is some kind of salty snack. #parenting

• Like 1

EJ after dark: Can Texas reel in Osafo-Mensah?

— Four-star Fort Worth Nolan Catholic defensive end/outside linebacker NaNa Osafo-Mensah released his top two schools today — Notre Dame and Texas. Osafo-Mensah will make an OV to Notre Dame this weekend, and I am told the family really likes the academics and Catholic presence in South Bend. However, Texas will get the final OV on May 4, and I have plenty of reason to believe the Longhorns are the team to beat. Osafo-Mensah has an amazing unofficial visit a couple of weeks about and has a strong relationship with the staff. I would be surprised if he doesn’t side with Texas on May 19.

— Four-star Conroe Oak Ridge offensive lineman Tyler Johnson will make an official visit to Oklahoma this weekend. The Sooners have been making a push for Johnson and are in the mix in his recruitment. However, we still feel good about UT’s chances of landing him and expect Johnson to be back on campus soon. In fact, Johnson is looking to make a spring official visit to Texas at some point in May.

— Four-star Allen offensive lineman EJ Ndoma-Ogar told out Mike Roach that he is a maybe to attend the Texas spring game on April 21. Ndoma-Ogar said he wants to visit UT again but might opt to check out some out-of-state schools. Ndoma-Ogar is keeping his options wide open and is remaining in constant contact with the Texas staff.

— Texas recently extended an offer to Northwest Rankin (MS) safety Jarrian Jones. So do the Longhorns have a shot here? I am told Jones is considering making a visit to Austin. But right now, his top three schools are Alabama, Mississippi State and Oklahoma.

• Like 1

Horns247 Recruiting Mailbag

Who are your picks for the two cornerbacks in class? (Not including Jalen Catalon as nickel back) — Racer X

EJ: Even though he didn’t end up visiting as previously scheduled, I still feel very confident on where Texas sits with four-star Grayson (GA) defensive back Kenyatta Watson II. He is listed as a safety, but Texas is recruiting him as a corner — I like him there as well. Watson is obviously down to Notre Dame and Texas, and I feel like the Longhorns have done enough. A strong official later in the month could push the Longhorns over the edge. Although Texas seems to have lost momentum for Marcus Banks, I still feel like he could end up in the class. Remember, he is set to make his official visit to Texas on May 4. Texas is also going to continue to make hard pushes for national guys like Derek Stingley, Chris Steele, Mykael Wright and Jaden Davis — all of whom are expected to visit UT. There is no set number on how many corners — or defensive backs in general — Texas will take this cycle.

Mike: I'll go with the same answer as EJ. Kenyatta Watson is one of the corners we expect in this class, and I was pleased to hear he looked good when EJ saw him in Los Angeles. Banks is the safe pick because guys like Davis, Steele and Stingley are all longer shots. I do think they could convince a guy like Davis or Steele with an incredible official visit.

Y’all both have CBs for Kenyatta Watson II and Jalen Catalon. Who is the third safety y’all feel confident about if Tom Herman decides to take a third one? — Hookem777

EJ: Again, Texas is recruiting Watson as a corner, and there is no set number of defensive backs the Longhorns are going to take this cycle. They are going to recruit their asses off and worry about that later. Texas is pushing hard for four-star safety Lewis Cine, who made an unofficial visit a couple of weeks ago and is still actively recruiting California safety Chris Adimora. The Longhorns are also in the mix for versatile defensive back Jeffery Carter and are working their way back in for Daxton Hill. And they haven’t stopped recruiting Texas A&M commit Demani Richardson.

Mike: The good thing about taking such a big class in 2018 is that they can be a bit more choosy in what they take this year. I believe Catalon is a fit for nickel or deep safety, and the Longhorns will try to add a guy like Cine or flip Richardson. I'd also say to watch out for Jonathan McGill. I still believe an offer could come his way this spring from Texas.

Do you still feel good with your Texas Crystal Ball pick for Chris Steele? — Texasborn91

EJ: I felt better when I put it in back in January. However, the Longhorns are still a legitimate player with Steele. I spent the entire weekend with him, and he made it clear that UT would receive both an unofficial visit and official visit this offseason. He also talked at length about his relationship with Jason Washington and the tradition of the program. It’s clear he’s not afraid to go far away from home, and Texas certainly has his attention. Anything can happen once he makes it to campus.

Mike: As EJ said, he has a very strong relationship with Jason Washington. He also believes Texas can prepare him for the next level. I also felt better when I originally put it in, but Steele loves the state (and Whataburger), and the Longhorns have shown an ability to put together great official visit experiences.

What two or three positions are the deepest in the state in the 2019 class? What are the thinnest? — ChipBrown247

EJ: Wide receiver, to me, is the deepest position. You have guys like Garrett Wilson, Theo Wease, Arjei Henderson, Dylan Wright and Elijah Higgins that could all be big-time players at the next level. I also feel like there is a lot of depth at the safety position with Brian Williams, Demani Richardson, Jalen Catalon and Lewis Cine. It’s another down year for linebacker. Outside of a handful of prospects, the position is extremely week. I also feel like it’s another down year at the running back position — 2020 will be loaded, though.

Mike: Without a doubt, 2019 is loaded at wide receiver. To think you could miss on guys like Wease and Henderson and still end up with high end guys like Wilson and Wright is nuts. I also feel like offensive line is making a nice comeback. Elite guys like Kenyon Green, Tyler Johnson, Javonne Shepherd and Branson Bragg were sorely missing from last year's cycle. Running back and tight end are a bit down. Linebacker is also depressingly thin, which is starting to look like a trend in-state.

Is Javonne Shepherd visiting Texas in the next two weekends? What do you think of his failure to show up (as expected) last weekend for a visit? Is momentum turning back to Aggy? — Racer X

EJ: We normally don’t allow multiple questions from one user in a mailbag but felt like this needed to be addressed. Shepherd is an inner city kid that often relies on his trainer, Rischad Whitfield, for a ride to schools. Whitfield flew out to California to work with NFL players this weekend, so Shepherd did not have a ride. Shepherd does want to make it back to campus soon, and I still feel like this is a dogfight with Texas A&M.

Mike: It's a dogfight, but I feel like we're going to see what Herb Hand is made of here. He put Texas back into the mix for Shepherd and Green when it looked like they were both headed to A&M.

What kind of negative attacks are other schools using? Which ones are being successful? — TimmyLonghorn21

EJ: The biggest one this cycle has been the number of high profile defensive backs Texas took last cycle. Even national prospects like Chris Steele and Jaden Davis both alluded to schools using that against Texas over the weekend. It also had an affect on in-state guys like Demani Richardson and Brian Williams.

Mike: Besides the defensive back depth, schools are using the poor Texas offensive performance against wide receivers. I know Dylan Wright got a dose of that when he made some visits, and I'm sure Garrett Wilson is as well. We will see if it works because it's always different for each individual.

• Like 2

OB War Room:

The most interesting story lines we’ll be tracking this weekend just might be the fact that two of Texas’ top recruiting targets will be visiting the Longhorns’ only competition for each guy.

Fort Worth Nolan Catholic linebacker NaNa Osafo-Mensah officially narrowed his list down to Texas and Notre Dame on Thursday, the day before he’ll head to South Bend for his N.D. official visit. He’ll take his Texas official visit on May 4 before announcing a decision on May 19.

Notre Dame had been long-believed to be the leader in this one, but as expected, Texas really surged with an unofficial visit from Osafo-Mensah a couple weeks ago. I expect the Irish will make a strong impression of their own this weekend, but Texas getting the last visit is a good sign for the Longhorns.

My money’s squarely on Texas here and even one Notre Dame source I communicated with this week said heading into this weekend’s visit, he “definitely” think Texas is the team to beat.

"(Texas is) a school that is really good from an athletics point of view, but they also provide academic standards," Osafo-Mensah said this week. "They have one of the top business schools in the nation. Me looking into possibly getting an MBA in management, that sticks out to me about Texas because of the business school they have there. (Four-star wide receiver) Jordan Whittington, he’s already committed there and he’s been talking to me a lot about it and some other players that have been thinking about it too."

Osafo-Mensah said his final choice will be the school he feels he’ll enjoy the most if you take football out of the equation. Both Notre Dame and Texas obviously have a lot to sell, but the draw of playing with other recruits with whom he has connected could help tip the scales in UT’s favor.

"After I put myself in the eyes and shoes of what it’s like to be student-athlete at the school, the biggest question I have for myself is what school do I know I can go to, that if football was to come to an end for me, I would still be able to enjoy my four or however many years at that university?," Osafo-Mensah said.

Again, the recent visit to Texas really moved the needle in the Longhorns’ direction and getting him back for an official visit a couple weeks before he announces his decision should be another overwhelmingly positive development for Texas.

Lake Travis wide receiver Garrett Wilson will take his official visit to Ohio State this weekend and then follow it up next weekend with an official visit to Texas. As of Thursday afternoon, Wilson tells me he doesn’t have a firm date for a decision but he thinks it will come the weekend after his Texas visit.

This one had the feel that it was strongly trending UT’s way until Wilson took an unofficial visit to Ohio State a couple weeks ago. Now, it’s anyone’s guess, and Wilson will get the red-carpet treatment from OSU again this weekend, which will almost certainly include the same sales pitch that Noah Cain is receiving, where a bunch of Texas will try to sell him on how great it is to be a Buckeye.

Like Osafo-Mensah, Texas getting the last visit is a positive for the Longhorns and I expect the UT staff to pull out all the stops on this one (more on that in a bit). Wilson’s a terrific prospect but if Texas can land him, he’s also the type of player that could really help UT’s recruiting efforts in the coming months.

We’ll keep our finger on the pulse of this one to see what the vibe is coming out of the Ohio State visit.

I mentioned a couple weeks ago after seeing Camden (AR) Fairview offensive lineman Stacey Wilkins at a Rivals camp that I was hearing that Arkansas wasn’t much of a factor. Wilkins, who visited UT for a junior day in February, confirmed that last week when he didn’t even list the Razorbacks while discussing his favorites.

“Right now, Oklahoma, Texas, TCU, Texas A&M is in there and then Georgia,” Wilkins said of the schools standing out.

Wilkins will take unofficial visits to Oklahoma and Alabama over the next two weekends and he said he’s planning to visit Georgia, A&M and Florida as well. He does want to get back to Texas for another visit, but it sounds like other visits will come first so UT will need to continue to work on him.

“I want to get my other visits out of the way. I talked to coach Herman the other day and told him I’m going to get back up there,” Wilkins said.

The 6-7, 285-pound Wilkins said again this week that he likes the entire package that Texas has to offer, from football to academics to life after football to the Polynesian connection Texas is trying to build. He also has a lot of respect for new OL coach Herb Hand.

“He’s probably one of the top offensive line coaches in the country,” Wilkins said. “That’s why I talk to him and text him every day because he’s a really good coach and knows what he’s doing.”

Texas should get Wilkins back in for an official visit and the Longhorns will factor heavily into this one, but Texas is facing some stiff competition.

A quick update on Oklahoma City Millwood wide receiver Demariyon Houston, who we touched on after he and teammate Marcus Major (RB) visited UT a few weeks ago.

Houston described the UT visit as “great” and “amazing” this week, and said he’s going to set up a UT official visit for either this spring or the fall.

“Texas is a great school. What stood out is the way they talked academics, and being a father and a husband. They didn’t really talk that much about football” Houston said.

I’ve mentioned it before, but both Houston and Major were very impressed with their UT visit, and they want to play together in college. If Texas pushes here, the Longhorns will have a solid chance to land both, especially since neither OU or Oklahoma State has offered both players.

2020 Oak Grove (LA) defensive tackle Kenean Caldwell has seen his stock rise a bit in recent weeks, with offers from Ole Miss and Texas A&M. Last weekend, he was one of the unofficial visitors Texas hosted and Caldwell said he liked what he saw at UT’s scrimmage.

“What stood out to me was watching them practice, how they practice, how the coaches are - the intensity, the atmosphere of how they do things,” Caldwell said.

Texas didn’t offer and told him it likes to take things a little more slowly than others, but the UT staff did tell Caldwell it was interested and would be keeping an eye on him. Even without an offer, Texas made a strong impression.

“They fit right at the top of my list. I’d say like top three on my list,” Caldwell said.

There’s been a lot of talk over the last month or so that Texas A&M commitment Demani Richardson still had a strong interest in Texas and would wind up on UT’s campus at some point this spring. Richardson doesn’t say much publicly, so it’s hard to really tell what he’s been thinking, but a couple weeks ago I was told that A&M felt really good about its chances of hanging onto him. That info came from an A&M source, so I took it with a bit of a grain of salt, but it turns out it was spot on.

Richardson was rather lukewarm about his interest in Texas last week when we were able to get some comments from him at the Under Armour Camp in Dallas.

“It’s still kind of going, but not really,” Richardson said of the Texas interest.

Richardson did say a future Texas visit could “maybe” happen, but he doesn’t have anything set up at this time. The Texas coaches have asked him to not shut the door completely and come give them a first-hand look.

“They just want me to keep my eye out for them because I haven’t visited down there. They want me to visit so I can come there and see for myself,” Richardson said.

Could happen, but right now this one has definitely solidified for A&M.

Edited by Scholz
  • Like 2

Just now, UT Lawnghorn said:

I’m pretty sure OB thinks if they just put enough words on paper, it’ll cover up the fact that all their recruiting info is at least two weeks old.

Speaking of, how do I do the hide function on this site?

TFB Weekend Post http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/04/open-post-weekend-april-13th-15th/

Owen Pappoe: I recently spoke with someone close to 2019 5-Star OLB, Owen Pappoe (Loganville, GA) and was told that Pappoe will take an official visit to Texas on the final weekend of April, April 27th-29th.

I’m told Pappoe plans to announce a decision sometime in early May which is, obviously, almost immediately after his visit to Texas.

There have been rumors swirling about that Pappoe’s destination will ultimately be Auburn but getting him on campus with fellow teammate, Kenyatta Watson, who will also visit that weekend, certainly can’t hurt the Horns.

Am also told that 4-star jumbo wide receiver and teammate, Kenyon Jackson plans also visit Texas along with Pappoe and Watson that same weekend. – (Super K)

– NaNa Osafo-Mensah: As Super K mentioned a few days ago, 2019 OLB/DE NaNa Osafo-Mensah would be narrowing his list significantly.

– I spoke with 2019 OLB/DE, NaNa Osafo-Mensah. He tells me that this Thursday he will be cutting his list down, significantly. Texas will make the cut.

NaNa tells me he still set to commit on May 19th. The next few weeks will be critical. He’ll be at Notre Dame this weekend.

Earlier today, he tweeted out his “Final 2”. As we have previously mentioned, we continue to feel very good about where Texas stands in his recruitment.

May 19… #HookEm #FightingIrish pic.twitter.com/L8eaUKa59p

— NaNa Osafo-Mensah (@NaNaOsafo2) April 12, 2018

NaNa will take an official visit to Notre Dame this weekend and then he will take an official visit to Texas on May 5th. He currently plans on making his commitment announcement on May 19th. You may all want to be around for that one! – (Charlie)

Last weekend Texas hosted some stellar talent including Dylan Wright, David Gbenda, Tyler Johnson and Texas commit, Jordan Whittington.

Alex has updated you on where things stand with Johnson. Will gave you a weekend recap with Gbenda.

I’ve been checking with some sources on where things are behind the scenes. This is what I’m hearing and where things are trending…

*Dylan Wright has visited a number of schools and interestingly, it was the Arkansas trip that he took a while back that he told me really rivaled Texas and Texas A&M. I spoke with a source who tells me that Wright would like to play with his fellow 7v7 teammate (True Buzz Organization), NaNa Osafo-Mensah. So, based on where I’m hearing,Texas landing Mensah would go a long way with Wright.

Trending: Texas

*With Tyler Johnson, I defer to Alex and he has a good relationship with the family. But I believe he agrees that Texas is the team to beat here and Oklahoma is going to need to really make a big impression this weekend in order to slow this one down.

*With 2019 linebacker, David Gbenda I’m hearing it’s more a matter of when and not so much if. Source said, David and his family love Texas but his recruitment began a little later than some others so he wants to enjoy the process and see more programs.

*I haven’t heard as much behind the scenes on NaNa Osafo-Mensah. This one is a really tight race but that’s a good thing for Texas because just a month or so ago Notre Dame was way out in front. From what I gather from both sources and NaNa himself, if Texas can demonstrate that they have all the advantages Notre Dame has in terms of academics, life after football, etc. then proximity to home could very well win out.

I’m going to go out on a limb here a bit and say this one is…

Trending: Texas but I’d say it’s day to day and this Notre Dame visit coming up will likely shift the trend back in Notre Dame’s direction at least until Texas gets him back on campus. – (Super K)

• Like 3