Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

And keeps filling up their spots. Warren could fall into our laps like Roach and Williams did because LSU probably won't have room. 

Mike Williams doesn't have the grades to get into Louisiana State University. - TigerDroppings 

Warren would a nice get. Another Giles special. Miss on literally everyone in state and pick up a diamond in the rough from The Boot. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

Williams doesn't have the grades to get into Louisiana State University. - TigerDroppings 

Warren would a nice get. Another Giles special. Miss on literally everyone in state and pick up a diamond in the rough from The Boot. 

Right, Williams was a known quantity to LSU and their fans since about the 9th grade, but they wouldn't let him commit because his grades were in question, and while they were waiting to see what would happen with grades, they filled up while reserving spots for Surtain Jr, Marshall, Chase, etc, and ended up not being able to take several guys that they probably should have, like Foster, Williams, Goodrich, etc. 

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

And keeps filling up their spots. Warren could fall into our laps like Roach and Williams did because LSU probably won't have room. 

1) Help me out...... Who is Warren??

2) Folks that watch a lot of tape..... Is Cain as good as some think???

(Watched Cain in Game on ESPN earlier this season, and I was disappointed by what I saw..... maybe my fault due to high expectations)

3) SIAP..... Besides the 2 IMG RBs and kid from Katy, who else besides Brown (Ga) would TEXAS take at RB that would be a Great Recruit??

Just now, Spider2YBanana said:

Damn. Well  hopefully we get one of Sanders or just keep Derrian Brown. He looks like a solid back. 

Seems like the most likely scenario is Brown and Glass. Glass would be pretty meh to me, but whatever, I've learned to trust this staff's evaluations 

Just now, LTtxfan said:

(Watched Cain in Game on ESPN earlier this season, and I was disappointed by what I saw..... maybe my fault due to high expectations)

3) SIAP..... Besides the 2 IMG RBs and kid from Katy, who else besides Brown (Ga) would TEXAS take at RB that would be a Great Recruit??

Myron Warren is the TCU edge defender who decommitted right after we offered recently from a small town in Louisiana. He's blown up with interest from Texas, Oregon, Notre Dame, etc. LSU is starting to look at him too, but probably won't have room. 

Cain reminds me of a solid chain moving SEC power running back that you'd see at LSU or Auburn in past years. Like Stevan Ridley, Kenny Irons, Alfred Blue, etc. He doesn't have good long speed, but gets yard after contact, is already an advanced blocker and receiver, plays against elite competition, and is an early enrollee, so he should be an instant contributor. I don't think he's can't miss, but he's very good. 

Not sure who else is out there, but this staff is great at finding guys 

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

Seems like the most likely scenario is Brown and Glass. Glass would be pretty meh to me, but whatever, I've learned to trust this staff's evaluations 

I'm with you. It's why I didn't mention Glass. He seems like another Katy player who has a great line, but fails to translate that to the next level (sans  Rodney Anderson)

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think Florida lands Sanders. 

His parents are pushing Bama hard, Trey seems to like Texas. Florida probably wins out as the compromise school and his older brother is there. 

I have no idea what we'll do at RB in 2019.  The grad transfer RB market could be an interesting follow. I'd be tempted to save the ship and try to land Evans, Mookie, and Jordan in 2020. 

Do you really think that is feasible? All three coming here?

I don’t see Evans ending up at Texas.

Just now, Spider2YBanana said:

I'm with you. It's why I didn't mention Glass. He seems like another Katy player who has a great line, but fails to translate that to the next level (sans  Rodney Anderson)

He seems to be somewhere in between Porter and Anderson. We could potentially lose several running backs, so we probably need useful bodies. He wouldn't get me very excited. 

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Myron Warren, DE from Many, LA. https://247sports.com/player/myron-warren-46051810/

Former TCU commit. He's pretty, pretty good. 

The recruiting analysts seem to love Cain's inside/zone running ability. He's not a home run threat, but he'd be darned good at Texas. 

1 minute ago, Luka Skywalker said:

Texas is in the group of teams that could land Evans. The pie is split between several teams though and there's a long way to go in the recruitment, so I'd mostly ignore it for now. 

1 minute ago, Fud said:

He seems to be somewhere in between Porter and Anderson. We could potentially lose several running backs, so we probably need useful bodies. He wouldn't get me very excited. 

Anderson continues to sting. I met him and his step dad before while he was uncommitted. His step dad was a huge Sooner fan, so I knew we were screwed. 

Best Katy RB is quite some time and it's not even close. 

I want Glass to be good, but I just don't see it happening. I hope Texas is looking nation wide for the second RB spot. Surely there have to be better options in California. 

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Wonder if any JUCO or Grad-Transfer RBs available for 2019 Season?

Not sure about what most think, but for me it seems the 2019 Roster needs to add some experience at LB, DE, S, and at least 1 OL.

5 minutes ago, Luka Skywalker said:

Evans is going to be the toughest one. I think we get Mookie, but tOSU is going to fight like heck for him. I think Texas could get Jordan whenever we wants to commit. 

All three have very different skill sets. Evans = Adrian Petterson. Mookie = Dobbins. Jordan = a better version of Ta'Zhawn Henry. 

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Wonder if any JUCO or Grad-Transfer RBs available for 2019 Season?

Not sure about what most think, but for me it seems the 2019 Roster needs to add some experience at LB, DE, S, and at least 1 OL.

Texas should definitely be looking for a grad transfer RB. Ingram is awesome, but we don't have much else on the roster. Another Tre Watson would be ideal. Really smart in short yardage situations and a good receiver. 

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Really it's Bama. You take them from the SEC you are left with the ACC. LSU and Florida will likely lose 2 more games each.

I think LSU is legit in their conference. It'll depend on the match up, but I think they lose their bowl game. Oeaux prepping for 4-5 weeks vs a good coach isn't fair. 

I like Florida in the World's Largest Cocktail Party, but I could see them dropping 1-2 more games. 

UGA stinks is a topic of conversation right now. 

Finebaum should be pretty fun tomorrow. He'll definitely let the UGA callers in, but we'll see on Auburn fans. PAWL is even more Bama/Saban biased than in previous years, if that's possible. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Finally watching Gameday. 

Herbstreit doesn't think Texas is back. I tell ya, I'm shocked.

fuck herb but he’s right.  UT fans shouldn’t consider us back until we win a conference championship, or at least 10 games.  to say we’re back now after winning a few games is so very very aggy.  and fwiw he predicted the outcome of the baylor game perfectly.

22 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Evans = Adrian Petterson. 

not really.  AD was a physically elite player at the position.  not elite for his time, elite for all-time, along the lines of bo jackson, earl, eric dickerson, orenthal james, etc.  human beings that big and strong and fast are extremely, extremely rare.

evans is good but it’s quite a fucking leap to equate him to adrian peterson.  zeke elliott works. 

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

fuck herb but he’s right.  UT fans shouldn’t consider us back until we win a conference championship, or at least 10 games.  to say we’re back now after winning a few games is so very very aggy.  and fwiw he predicted the outcome of the baylor game perfectly.

not really.  AD was a physically elite player at the position.  not elite for his time, elite for all-time, along the lines of bo jackson, earl, eric dickerson, orenthal james, etc.  human beings that big and strong and fast are extremely, extremely rare.

evans is good but it’s quite a fucking leap to equate him to adrian peterson.  zeke elliott works. 

Nice. You spelled out Orenthal. 

I agree somewhat on Evans and the Peterson comparison. Evans is a once every decade type, Peterson is a once every generation type. 

10 minutes ago, futureman said:

The threshold isnt really that high. Probably 9 games to reach the yearly minimal fan expectations from the "Back" days. And spinkle in a title contention every 4 years.

Edited by Rynohorn

51 minutes ago, Fud said:

Same. Maybe he'll surprise us, but I'm not holding out hope. I'm hoping for Anderson, but I think he'll just be serviceable. Who knows, though. I'm excited about Brown. He looks legit. I bet we lose Carter (no clue what his deal is, other than fumbles and a shit attitude), but I can't see Porter transferring. Who else do you see us losing?

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Same. Maybe he'll surprise us, but I'm not holding out hope. I'm hoping for Anderson, but I think he'll just be serviceable. Who knows, though. I'm excited about Brown. He looks legit. I bet we lose Carter (no clue what his deal is, other than fumbles and a shit attitude), but I can't see Porter transferring. Who else do you see us losing?

Porter is allegedly not playing so he can redshirt and transfer. He gone. 

I had such high hopes for Carter. It's a shame, but he needs to tranfer. 

Just now, Butch Had Not said:

Two rb guys that I remember but not by name,  guy in panhandle (tascosa?) and Wichita falls. Anything to see there?

Foster and Doerue. I thought both were interesting prospects in the past. Foster never gets tackled by the first guy, and frequently not by the second 

Porter is allegedly not playing so he can redshirt and transfer. He gone. 

I had such high hopes for Carter. It's a shame, but he needs to tranfer. 

That makes sense on Porter. Like you, I had high hopes for Carter, too. God damn his shitty attitude and fumbles. He's a really good back, but damn. Maybe Tom and Drayton can work with him and convince him to stay (doubtful, I know). At least it opens up room for recruits to see playing time. What's up with Danny Young? Hadn't seen much of him lately. Another transfer casualty?

I've seen him play many times, and he's well worth a scholly. Good lord he's on another level. We haven't had a kid from this area like that in a looooooooong time. We have a kid at WF Rider who's supposed to be the next big thing, too. He's a junior. I can't remember his name, but he's the 10th best RB in state for next year.

4 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Texas will be “back” when they blow out teams they are supposed to blow out. All these games going down to the wire is good for getting these youngsters experience in grinding out a win but you can only walk that line so far until you wind up in the losing side.

Not having Big Leads/Blowouts also increases risk to the Horns Starters because they are playing more minutes.  Texas is not able to rotate backups in as often when games are still in doubt.....

Edited by LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Texas will be “back” when they blow out teams they are supposed to blow out. All these games going down to the wire is good for getting these youngsters experience in grinding out a win but you can only walk that line so far until you wind up in the losing side.

Agreed. 

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Works for me. I'm getting a little tired of 4 yards and a cloud of dust. We need backs that can house it on every carry. 

The kid at Rider is named Tre Byrd and he's a sophomore. He also plays for team usa. He's good. But Foster is a freak. If TCU wants him, you know he can ball. What a steal for them. God I hope Herman takes a look at him 

8 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

nah bruh texas is back this pic alone will change perceptions

Edited by Carl Winslow

11 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Works for me. I'm getting a little tired of 4 yards and a cloud of dust. We need backs that can house it on every carry. 

He's not huge, but I see him as more of a power back than a home run hitter