Texas recruiting notes 2019

22 minutes ago, Atticus said:

It's pretty telling that even with our on-field success we don't seem to be back in contact with some former high priority guys like Dylan Wright.

Pretty telling indeed.

Rome wasn't built in 7 games. But, yeah...money still isn't right.

Edited by pacman

35 minutes ago, Atticus said:

It's pretty telling that even with our on-field success we don't seem to be back in contact with some former high priority guys like Dylan Wright.

Pretty telling indeed.

I agree conceptually. That said, I think they found suitable alternatives to Wright and moved on, so who knows if they'd even take a phone call? 

Sounds like Texas will take up to 6 WRs not including McCoy or Powell if they can get Washington, Lewis, and Higgins. Powell would be an ATH and McCoy would be whatever he wants to call himself. I don't think they will get McCoy, but a 7-5/8-4 regular season for USC where Helton won't be fired but isn't generating enthusiasm is possible and would give us our best shot, especially if we put up 10-2 or something. I also don't think Texas is getting Higgins. If we coulda, we woulda, IMO.

3 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

Laviska Shenault's younger brother.

3 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

man that kid was a miss by everybody. 

2 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

Pretty much everybody in state at least. I doubt the Bama offer was committable.

Now that I live in the Denver area, I catch a lot of CU Buffs' games.

Laviska Shenault Jr. is awesome! Like Freshman All-American awesome. He would be playing a lot if he had gone to UT.

Also, the Buffs' QB Steven Montez from El Paso would have been the best QB at UT since Colt if he had been given an offer. I think that he was kind of fat when he got to Boulder, but has dropped weight while still being a bit of a bulldozer on running plays, but his passing and leadership are better than everyone through to Sam. He is two years ahead of Sam, so he would have easily beaten out Swoopes, Heard, & Buechele by the 2016 season and Sam would have redshirted in 2017.

Just now, texifornia said:

Nah, us and Arkansas are working hard to recruit a kid who will be slow and bad in college. It's a Mensa thing.

Lol. I get it. And obviously the staff wouldn't pursue if they didn't think he gets completely well.

Apart from your excellent point, anybody got any insight on that kind of injury. To me. It sounds concerning, but I sure ain't no doc.

5 minutes ago, XOVERX said:

I keep reading about Catalon's injury, but that injury doesn't seem to faze the staff. I assume a full recovery is expected?

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Nah, us and Arkansas are working hard to recruit a kid who will be slow and bad in college. It's a Mensa thing.

They mentioned surgery to work on his ACL.

QUESTIONS:

1) Is this the original ACL surgery?  ...or...

2) Is this surgery to clean up some scar tissue from an ACL surgery?

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Question: What is the trophy that Caleb is holding in the bottom right photo?

It looks like it might be a Bednarik (sp?) trophy or something given to the Best Linebacker. Anyone know? (And which Texas player won it?). 

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Question: What is the trophy that Caleb is holding in the bottom right photo?

It looks like it might be a Bednarik (sp?) trophy or something given to the Best Linebacker. Anyone know? (And which Texas player won it?). 

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

Probably Derrick Johnson.  He won the  Butkus and Nagurski award.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Yeah it looks like it came from Johnson's case behind him, but I don't think it's the Butkus or Nagurski based on pictures of those

Actually, it appears that it could be the Butkus Award... or a reproduction with a different base for the school.

The stance is basically the same, the base is drastically different from this image, and the coloring is a little off, but the stance checks out.

photos.medleyphoto.1914974.jpg

Others that appear on the Google...

award.png?1476743730

https://texassports.com/sports/2013/7/21/FB_0721131824.aspx?id=135

Such at OB with some quotes y'all might like 

Spoiler

I asked Lewis, if he was considering decommitting, if I would be wrong for saying it looks like Texas is the team to beat. 

"You would not be wrong, no. It was amazing," Lewis said. 

Spoiler

"They're definitely number one. I think it’s going to take a lot for a school to show me more than that, have more to offer," Johnson said.

Adding Lewis, Powell, and Johnson to the calculator brings us up to the #7 class with 21 commits. I'm still not sure if we end up with all three but thought I'd look ahead. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Such at OB with some quotes y'all might like 

Reveal hidden contents

I asked Lewis, if he was considering decommitting, if I would be wrong for saying it looks like Texas is the team to beat. 

"You would not be wrong, no. It was amazing," Lewis said. 

Reveal hidden contents

"They're definitely number one. I think it’s going to take a lot for a school to show me more than that, have more to offer," Johnson said.

Adding Lewis, Powell, and Johnson to the calculator brings us up to the #7 class with 21 commits. I'm still not sure if we end up with all three but thought I'd look ahead. 

Man I hope we can keep winning and finish with a bang (Bru, Sanders, or Fat Tut).  We are setting up real good for 2020 both in and out of state.

55 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

They mentioned surgery to work on his ACL.

QUESTIONS:

1) Is this the original ACL surgery?  ...or...

2) Is this surgery to clean up some scar tissue from an ACL surgery?

It’s hard to say because sometimes things get misunderstood by multiple people along the way. My guess from reading that is that he had a large meniscal tear that they wanted to repair first.  That is a more delicate recovery that they wanted to get started before they fixed the ACL. Whatever the case, 2 knee surgeries is not ideal obviously. 

ACL doesn’t always affect a career, but plenty of guys are a step slow after finishing rehab. It sounds like Catalon had a combined meniscus tear and ACL tear but only had the meniscus addressed at his first surgery. This is not standard. It can happen in rare cases when the MRI doesn’t show the ACL tear, guarding limits the physical examination, and only surgery reveals it. More than one knee surgery within 6 months can lead to more stiffness long-term. It sounds like Catalon is a good fit at nickel without another comp available— probably worth taking a flier. Call it circa 80% that he gets back to pre-injury level.