California state senator bans use of ‘he’ and ‘she’ during committee hearings

Parliament

3 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Are they a trans if they haven't even begun the transition? Maybe.

But you seem to have missed my post above when I said the use of pronouns should not be done with the intent to harm.

In your example, the repeated (and unnecessarily so) use of "he" seems to be done in a deliberate way to cause harm. 

Then why don’t you simply refer to them by their preference? If it isn’t to do harm then what reason do have to not simply call them what they want

5 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Are they a trans if they haven't even begun the transition? Maybe.

But you seem to have missed my post above when I said the use of pronouns should not be done with the intent to harm.

In your example, the repeated (and unnecessarily so) use of "he" seems to be done in a deliberate way to cause harm. 

You have a very complicated set of rules.

1.  I won't call a trans a she until he begins the transition. 

2.  However, I won't use pronouns to cause harm.

Doesn't the usage of pronouns in rule 1 likely cause the harm referred to in rule 2?

Remember, our discussion began with you quibbling over my policy of calling people what they desire to be called in this regard. In that context, your position is quite conflicted.

You seem like a decent person. Maybe abandon adherence to rule 1.

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Why do they have to go through their transition for you to call them what they prefer? Why does it matter to you at all?

Well, it matters because you’re asking me to pretend you’re the other sex, and pretending is not one of my strengths. But this is only a general rule and can certainly be flexible depending on the situation. Of course, this is all hypothetical due to the fact that I’ve never had a conversation with a transgender and not likely to anytime soon. 

• Fuck You 1

41 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Not cool.

Not cool is one thing. If it was a matter of being right, but impolite, that would be one thing.

The issue here is that he's just wrong about how language works.

The Contrapoints video spells it out in a far more entertaining fashion than I will, but it boils down to this assertion from little Ben Shapiro, "Biology is the nature of the pronoun."

That is, in every sense of how grammar and language are conceived, false.

16 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Well, it matters because you’re asking me to pretend you’re the other sex, and pretending is not one of my strengths. But this is only a general rule and can certainly be flexible depending on the situation. Of course, this is all hypothetical due to the fact that I’ve never had a conversation with a transgender and not likely to anytime soon. 

Why not just be polite and refer to them as they wish? 

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Why not just be polite and refer to them as they wish? 

If asked politely, sure that’s a distinct possibility. My only point was that it would be an easier exercise if they have actually transitioned. Otherwise, my feeling is that indulging such a fantasy could actually do more harm than good. 

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

If asked politely, sure that’s a distinct possibility.

Why would you being asked politely change the reality of the situation?

All you're doing is admitting that your position is about managing your own feelings.

My only point was that it would be an easier exercise if they have actually transitioned. Otherwise, my feeling is that indulging such a fantasy could actually do more harm than good. 

So you would harm them by indulging their fantasy if they're polite?

You're concern trolling.

(Also, the pretending isn't about Trump. It's funny for other reasons that should be obvious.)

Edited by bad_teammate

29 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

"Biology is the nature of the pronoun..

And what if biology itself is confused? 

Intersex (used to be called hermaphrodite). 

Kinda looks like a girl but has strong boy-ish characteristics (whatever those characteristics may be)? Vice-versa.

As usual, Ben Shapiro is little twat who can go fuck himself.

6 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

If asked politely, sure that’s a distinct possibility. My only point was that it would be an easier exercise if they have actually transitioned. Otherwise, my feeling is that indulging such a fantasy could actually do more harm than good. 

How does it do more harm than good to refer to someone in a manner which they prefer?

Just now, David Dennison said:

How does it do more harm than good to refer to someone in a manner which they prefer?

The concern troll's argument will rely on an inflated sense of self and importance.

"If I say 'she' then that will validate that person's delusion and encourage them to continue down a dangerous path. However, if I say 'he', then that person will be disillusioned and their life will be saved. What I say is very important and matters a lot. I am basically Jesus."

11 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

So you’re a bigot who ignores medical professionals?

Edited by hobbes2702

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

This thread is stupid, but "they" is confusing as hell.

So looking at it in the bigger picture, you don't think it's within the realm of possibility that these radical lefties will not try and use the government to curtail free speech at the state and federal level? Yeah, the idea of that happening is stupid 🤣

Doesn't surprise me though...

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Well, these individuals are very susceptible to suicide and it’s not uncommon for them to abandon the idea of transitioning altogether. I feel inclined to use kid gloves and call them what they prefer, but I also don’t want to encourage someone to transition that will ultimately regret it. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

Mix it up a little hobbes. 

Work misoginy in there.  

That'll at least take a little talent.

Yes it’s not bigoted at all to refuse to call people what they want because of your preconceived judgement of their lifestyle. This very very simple concept maybe too tough for you.

2 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

No, transitioning isn’t the right decision for everyone. Until they actually take the plunge, it’s tough to tell if it’s just a phase. 

Are you their doctor? Then mind your fucking business and call them what they ask to be called. 

Maybe it's too tough for you to conceive of reason/s other than judgements about lifestyle.

See how that works?

No, I didn't think you did.

Got to play with the only deck you got, so rock on man.

Edited by Cajun

9 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Maybe it's too tough for you to conceive of reason/s other than judgements about lifestyle.

See how that works?

No, I didn't think you did.

Got to play with the only deck you got, so rock on man.

So what are the reasons? Please list all of the noble reasons for refusing to call someone by the gender of their preference. Bigotry is your only deck apparently. You’re dealing the cards. I’m playing the hand.

11 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

My confidence is based on reading the horror stories dealing with transition regret. 

Do you routinely look up these “horror stories” to read all about transitioning? Your anecdotes have no bearing on your lack of expertise and the fact that in reality, no one gives a shit what you think about the process. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Do you routinely look up these “horror stories” to read all about transitioning? Your anecdotes have no bearing on your lack of expertise and the fact that in reality, no one gives a shit what you think about the process. 

Ok. Cool 

Hook Em! 

• Fuck You 1

So I don't know any Hungarian, but I hear tell that in Hungarian, they use one pronoun for he/she/it. If so, whole damn problem could be solved by switching the official language of California to Hungarian. Don't tell ME the 5th largest economy in the world couldn't do it. Gotta be an app for that already, if not, a couple of California folks could design one between ping-pong and grazing at the beer taps. Hungarian! Doesn't matter if Hungarian is a minor language, hook it up to California (5th largest economy) and BOOM it's bigger than French or Italian and way more cutting edge as well as guilt-free of genocide or imperialism in the Americas unlike nasty-ass Spanish or (EEEW) icky English and also I think the first Unitarians were in Hungary OK maybe I made that up but if you HAVE to have any churches Unitarians are OK they listen to NPR and have bongo circles and it's like Episcopalian except without theater majors arguing about lace placement on robes and and I almost FORGOT the Hungarians originally came from Siberia NOT Europe so you get away from that whole 100% white thing too.

Hungarian!

These posts remind me of listening to my grandparents sit around and bitch for hours about men with long hair and earrings. 

Eventually though, they died.

The moral of this story is, you're old AF and you're about to die soon. So I wouldn't waste so much time reading bullshit irritainment websites. 

Edited by TornACL