California state senator bans use of ‘he’ and ‘she’ during committee hearings

Parliament

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/democrat-bans-he-and-she-pronouns-in-california-state-senate

The California legislature is recognizing a “non-binary designation as a gender” and banning the use of “he” and “she” in hearings, state Senate Judiciary Chair Hannah-Beth Jackson said last Thursday.

Jackson, of Santa Barbara, said, “We are using the phrase ‘they’ and replacing other designations so that it’s a gender neutral designation of they. Basically, that’s the primary reforms and revisions to the committee rules.”

• Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

At what point does she discuss a "ban"? She says the committee agreed to use the gender-neutral "they" in lieu of gendered pronouns, but... where's the "ban"? Who is "banned" from using gendered pronouns?

“They” are banned.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This thread is stupid, but "they" is confusing as hell.

How?

20 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Time to break out Orwell's "Politics and the English Language".

Let's do it. I'm not sure how this situation is analogous to Orwell's commentary and I'd be interested to hear why you think it fits.

You see, this is what happens when caravans full of murderin' killers, drug mules, terrorists, rapers, and parasites are allowed to turn right then turn left and not smack into a wall or steel barrier.

You get lawless chaos and that includes pronoun confusion.

BUILD THE WALL!

It will fix everything.

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Natalie Wynn is a transgender woman. You should watch it, I think you'd actually like her.

(It won't turn you gay, I promise.)

How'd you find this? It's a wild, fun presentation with brains behind it. I suspected she was trans from the start. I usually find cross dressers and transexuals to be viscerally off-putting. I'm sure many of them feel the same about me. Thank goodness for mutual tolerance. But this woman attracts. It would be fun if something like her show could get closer to the mainstream.

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

How'd you find this? It's a wild, fun presentation with brains behind it. I suspected she was trans from the start. I usually find cross dressers and transexuals to be viscerally off-putting. I'm sure many of them feel the same about me. Thank goodness for mutual tolerance. But this woman attracts. It would be fun if something like her show could get closer to the mainstream.

Her?

Did you learn nothing from Hannah-Beth?

9 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I know you're just kidding but I'll answer anyway.

She refers to herself as she, my rule (at the moment) is to comply with what an individual prefers.

That's all well and good, but I again refer to Orwell. 

My rule would be don't use language, or the pronouns, to inflict harm. It's not an entirely subjective test. 

If a peanut butter and jelly sandwich wishes to be called a BLT I'm still going to call it a pb&j.

29 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

How'd you find this?

I never, ever log off.

It's a wild, fun presentation with brains behind it. I suspected she was trans from the start. I usually find cross dressers and transexuals to be viscerally off-putting. I'm sure many of them feel the same about me. Thank goodness for mutual tolerance. But this woman attracts. It would be fun if something like her show could get closer to the mainstream.

She's extremely smart and funny.

If you watch her latest video she addresses that mainstreaming thing directly. The most prominent voices on trans issues on YouTube and social media are furious conservatives. Her goal is to be a mainstream voice.

1 minute ago, Asithappens said:

My rule would be don't use language, or the pronouns, to inflict harm. It's not an entirely subjective test. 

If a peanut butter and jelly sandwich wishes to be called a BLT I'm still going to call it a pb&j.

That's a very strange post.

Does your food have a will of its own and the ability to articulate a preference? If so, how how often does this sandwich beg you not to dismember it with your teeth?

1 minute ago, Asithappens said:

You haven't referred to Orwell at all except to say his name and the title of an essay he wrote. You have offered no quotes from it that might provide insight into this question.

Congratulations, I guess?

I have no idea why people like you feel the need to announce to the world what you are going to do. No one cares. No one was asking, no one ever will, and no one here would notice if you never posted again. Offer some actual ideas that can be contended with.

• Like 1

Just now, RomaVicta said:

That's a very strange post.

Does your food have a will of its own and the ability to articulate a preference? If so, how how often does this sandwich beg you not to dismember it with your teeth?

I'll try to be more literal for you.

If a male has undergone the transition to female, I have no problem calling him a "her" now. In fact, I'd say "she" rather than "he" even if the person preferred to be called a "he".

If a male is just thinking about transitioning and wishes to be called a "she", I'd call that person a "he" until the transition has started. 

2 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

If a male has undergone the transition to female, I have no problem calling him a "her" now. In fact, I'd say "she" rather than "he" even if the person preferred to be called a "he".

If a male is just thinking about transitioning and wishes to be called a "she", I'd call that person a "he" until the transition has started. 

Why?

7 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

This is usually where I find myself because I don’t want to hurt any feelings. But if they have a 5 o’clock shadow and a deeper voice than me, it’s rather difficult. 

On the other hand, if they willingly slice off their member, maybe they’ve earned a new pronoun? If only there was a way to tell. 

• Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Not cool.

15 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

So, you're in an office with a trans who hasn't begun the transition. This person, Eric, is effeminate and the other six people in the office comply with the person's request to be referred to as female. You're approached by a fellow worker.

Eric says she can have the report in by noon.

He's been working on it for two days.

She just got some essential data in her email.

That explains it. He is usually right on time with his work.

Eric joins the two of you and says.

Eric: I just put it together. I've emailed it to you and I'm printing it as we speak.

Coworker: She's fast.

You: I can always depend on him.

Eric: Would you mind using feminine words to refer to me?

You: Yes, I would. I will change once you begin the transition.

Eric: What, are you expecting an announcement or do I need to present a doctor's report?

You: I'm just trying to be honest.

Eric: You're just being a dick.

Coworker: She's got a point.

You: He's got a point, and, no, he doesn't! I'm Honesty Man! I won't be swayed from sticking to scientific truth no matter how intolerant I must be of other people's wishes!

Everyone in office: You really are a dick.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

So, you're in an office with a trans who hasn't begun the transition. This person, Eric, is effeminate and the other six people in the office comply with the person's request to be referred to as female. You're approached by a fellow worker.

Eric says she can have the report in by noon.

He's been working on it for two days.

She just got some essential data in her email.

That explains it. He is usually right on time with his work.

Eric joins the two of you and says.

Eric: I just put it together. I've emailed it to you and I'm printing it as we speak.

Coworker: She's fast.

You: I can always depend on him.

Eric: Would you mind using feminine words to refer to me?

You: Yes, I would. I will change once you begin the transition.

Eric: What, are you expecting an announcement or do I need to present a doctor's report?

You: I'm just trying to be honest.

Eric: You're just being a dick.

Coworker: She's got a point.

You: He's got a point, and, no, he doesn't! I'm Honesty Man! I won't be swayed from sticking to scientific truth no matter how intolerant I must be of other people's wishes!

Everyone in office: You really are a dick.

Are they a trans if they haven't even begun the transition? Maybe.

But you seem to have missed my post above when I said the use of pronouns should not be done with the intent to harm.

In your example, the repeated (and unnecessarily so) use of "he" seems to be done in a deliberate way to cause harm. 

Edited by Asithappens

23 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

This is usually where I find myself because I don’t want to hurt any feelings. But if they have a 5 o’clock shadow and a deeper voice than me, it’s rather difficult. 

On the other hand, if they willingly slice off their member, maybe they’ve earned a new pronoun? If only there was a way to tell. 

Why?