Anybody use these portable outdoor pizza ovens?

52-80

d38a7d4677bd39b8966c74237490e817_origina

portable-pizza-oven_160316_01.jpg

uuni-pro-lifestyle-2-rgb_1024x1024__0802

Roccbox... Uuni... whatever.

Essentially small-chamber ovens using live fire (pellet, wood, etc) with reflective sides so they get ultra-hot, ultra-fast.  Good for anything but especially targeted for pizza.

In idea it makes a ton of sense.  Not a big homemade pizza guy but I can see us putting it to use.

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

basically a cast iron griddle turned to 11 -- a gigantic heat sink.

problem though is it takes a lot of time to heat that thing up.  those portable pizza ovens supposedly gives you a cocoon of 800* radiant heat in a very short while

I use a steel when I make my NY pies in the oven. Yes you do have to blast the oven at 525-550 for about an hour before you put the pie in. I use a peel with some parchment paper for easy sliding. The paper does not burn on the hot steel. Once the pizza is in, I usually turn the broiler on low and let it cook for about 5 minutes. 

The steel does stink, though. My entire lower floor smells like a factory for about 18 hours afterwards. 

Neighbor at the bay has one of those Kettle Pizza things on his gas grill- basically just a cover over a steel plate.  Thing works great but it's kind of flimsy, kind of hard to remove the top when hot, and the stainless is a BITCH to clean.  He just lets it sit until the cheese and shit burns to ash rather than actually trying to get it clean - which wastes a fair amount of fuel if you care.  

The Kettle Pizza for a real grill is totally different - basically a ring around a pizza stone.  I have not seen that in person and I confess I don't really understand it.  But the one review I've seen says it takes a bit of tweaking.  https://slice.seriouseats.com/2012/06/pizza-lab-in-which-we-get-the-kettlepizza-insert-working-and-meet-its-maker.html

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
5 hours ago, Baboontyme said:
I actually think I made that one before I got the Primo this summer. But I still do sometimes use the oven. Because polar vortex and laziness. 

That doesn't sound like the guy who fired up the trailer smoker for one track of ribs.

I'm getting beaten down and old, kids are wearing me out. 

I'll be pulling out the trailer in sub zero temps tomorrow evening to make some pork butt for a meal train so I'm not totally dead inside yet.