2019 NCAA Baseball Thread

Beau Vine

59 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

aggy throwing a no hitter in the 8th against Ole Miss.  Hopefully I just jinxed it.

15.1 IP of no-hit ball in 2 games and lost both games as they didn't score a run in their final 18 innings of the tournament. 

11 minutes ago, Terry Silver said:

Will aggy host a regional?  If not, which super are they likely paired with?

Kendall Rogers‏Verified account @KendallRogers 1h1 hour ago

Kendall Rogers Retweeted Kendall Rogers

Will be interesting to see if Texas A&M hosts on Monday. Aggies were in good shape entering the day, but now open the door for some teams to leap them, IMO.

Edited by torre

UTSA job is open.     Don't think our assistants have the resume.    Marshall and Corbett (previous coach) and the former AD were aggy grads.   Current AD is UTEP grad.

Kendall RogersVerified account @KendallRogers 3h3 hours ago

COACHING NEWS: Another coaching change, as @UTSABSB head coach Jason Marshall will step aside after seven seasons with the program. He went 209-192 in those seven seasons with the Roadrunners.

Edited by torre

Surprising !   'Husker alum, great college player,   successful MLB career,  enjoy life Darin !

BREAKING: Darin Erstad has resigned as the head coach for @Husker_Baseball after eight seasons with the program.

“I have made the extremely difficult decision to step away from coaching,” Erstad said. “I love this team. I love our staff and I love Nebraska. The bottom line is I do not want to miss seeing our kids grow up. I want to thank our administration and academic staff for all of their support over the last eight years. GBR forever.”

https://www.ketv.com/article/darin-erstad-steps-down-as-nebraska-baseball-coach/27704955

Edited by torre

Many thought Pat Casey would return to Oregon St after 1 year sabbatical.      After their Regional performance,  Oregon St has issues - looked inept in all phases of the game.   They have an outstanding pitching coach,  Nate Yeskie,  who reportedly in the past has declined several head coaching positions.    Don't know, but they may have internal administration issues.

Edit:   Don't know if this is fallout from the Luke Heimlich molestation case.

Edited by torre

Surprising !   As mentioned,  have to wonder if the Luke Heimlich case affected the change.   From national champions to disarray.   Pierce should make Yeskie the highest paid assistant in college baseball.

Mitch Canham, who helped guide Oregon State to its first two national titles as a player and star catcher, will be Pat Casey’s successor as head coach of the Beavers.

Canham, 34, doesn’t have college coaching experience. However, he is a rising star in the Mariners organization and sources say it was only a matter of time before he was to become an MLB manager. Instead, Canham is headed back to the Pacific Northwest to lead his alma mater.

The Washington native spent the last four years in the Mariners organization. He began his professional coaching career with the Clinton LumberKings before moving on to manage the Modesto Nuts for two seasons, compiling a 136-144 overall record. Canham has earned rave reviews this season as the manager of the Arkansas Travelers, the Mariners’ Double-A affiliate. The rising manager has guided the Travelers to a terrific start and a 42-21 record this spring.

In a decision that certainly will be hotly debated in the State of Oregon, the Beavers chose to hire Canham over heralded pitching coach Nate Yeskie and interim head coach Pat Bailey, who did a great job in Pat Casey’s absence this past season. Yeskie, our 2017 Assistant of the Year, turned down overtures to become Mississippi State’s pitching coach last summer, and the move was believed to be motivated by the idea that he would someday become the head coach at OSU. Meanwhile, Bailey was a head coach at a previous stop and has a wealth of experience at this level.

The Beavers and athletic director Scott Barnes decided to go another direction.

We’ll have more on this hire soon …

https://d1baseball.com/featured/oregon-state-hires-former-standout-mitch-canham-as-coach/

I did a phone interview with Canham before his junior year and could not have been more impressed.  I talked to Casey the next day and told him that, and he went on  for about 20 minutes about how Canham was the greatest leader he had ever seen.  

Nebraska hires Will Bolt.    Per Kendall,   received strong endorsement from Van Horn and Childress former Nebraska head coach and pitching coach,  respectively.   Definitely not a wow hire.

The University of Nebraska announced former Husker player and assistant coach Will Bolt as their 24th head baseball coach Thursday. He replaces Darin Erstad who stepped down from the post after eight seasons at the helm in Lincoln.

“Will Bolt has been a winner at every stop he has made as a coach and player, and I am proud to welcome him back to Lincoln as our next head baseball coach,” Nebraska Athletic Director Bill Moos said. “Will was a part of the most successful teams in the history of our baseball program, and he knows what it takes to win here.

“Will has proven to be an outstanding recruiter wherever he has coached. He understands the appeal of Nebraska and everything our baseball program and University has to offer to student-athletes.”

One of the top infielders in Husker history, Bolt finished his playing career holding six school records and caught the final out of the 2001 Super Regional to send Nebraska to its first College World Series under Dave Van Horn. Bolt was a four-year starter and team captain on Nebraska’s 2001 and 2002 College World Series teams.

Bolt served as Texarkana College's head baseball coach from 2008-2011, and then was the associate head coach at Nebraska from 2012-2014, before assuming his current position as a Texas A&M assistant coach since 2015 under former Nebraska pitching coach Rob Childress.

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/will-bolt-announced-as-new-nebraska-baseball-coach

Excellent hire by UTSA, not good for UIW.    Hallmark was an assistant at Rice with Pierce.   UIW was very impressive this year.   UIW would be a good starting job for Sean Allen and take Haig as his pitching coach.        😎

Kendall RogersVerified account @KendallRogers 18h18 hours ago

BREAKING: @UTSABSB has hired @UIWBaseball head coach and former #Rice assistant Pat Hallmark as its head coach. Hallmark did a terrific job at #UIW in his two seasons, leading the program to 37 wins in 2019. #UTSA #CUSA

I'm not sure of the best thread to post it, but this is a good read.  I wonder how much the use of the same technology/data analysis that the pros are using will start to factor into college recruiting.  I also wonder where Texas stands on this front.

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2019/5/31/18647230/draft-pitchgrader-app-improves-release-pitches-wayne-sean-boyle

There is this, which indicates that we at least have Trackman, Edgertronic cameras, and Rhapsodo:

https://texassports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1537&path=baseball

Edited by WBT

39 minutes ago, WBT said:

I'm not sure of the best thread to post it, but this is a good read.  I wonder how much the use of the same technology/data analysis that the pros are using will start to factor into college recruiting.  I also wonder where Texas stands on this front.

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2019/5/31/18647230/draft-pitchgrader-app-improves-release-pitches-wayne-sean-boyle

There is this, which indicates that we at least have Trackman, Edgertronic cameras, and Rhapsodo:

https://texassports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1537&path=baseball

Apparently, we had little or none of that during the Garrido administration.  I have it on pretty good authority that we were pretty behind on technology, to the point that it had become a bit of a recruiting issue.

Edited by TwiceHorn

As mentioned,  thought Sean Allen should be a serious candidate.    He is at least equal or better qualified than Shotzberger.    Perhaps he doesn't want to leave Pierce.

IWU can become significant with the right coach.   Good place to begin a career.

Ryan Shotzberger, who spent the past eight years at the University of Houston, was named the head baseball coach at Incarnate Word in San Antonio on Monday.

Shotzberger spent the past two seasons as an assistant on coach Todd Whitting's staff. He was also an assistant coach with the Cougars from 2012-13 and later spent two seasons as UH's director of player development.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/cougars/article/UH-assistant-Ryan-Shotzberger-named-head-coach-at-14035869.php

On 6/19/2019 at 10:46 PM, Beau Vine said:

Texas State should be having a PC tomorrow to announce that Ty Harrington is retiring.  

My wish list to replace him:

1.  Tripp Couch

2.  Derek Matlock

3.  Mike Martin (he said he didn't know if he was done or not!)

Opinion, BV  ?      Seems they went with Harrington's recommendation  ?     Wish Texas St well.

SAN MARCOS (KXAN) — Texas State assistant Steven Trout has been named the Bobcats newest head baseball coach, Texas State Athletic Director Dr. Larry Teis announced Monday.

“To me, it’s an exciting day because once this press conference is over it’s time to go to work,” Trout said at his introduction.

Trout’s baseball journey is coming full circle at Texas State— from volunteer assistant in 2009 and 2010 to becoming the program’s fifth head baseball coach.

After a three-year stint at West Virginia, Trout returned to Texas State in 2016 working as an assistant under Ty Harrington. Trout served predominately as the team’s hitting and fielding coach, and was promoted to associate head coach and recruiting coordinator two years ago.

“When we sat down and visited at length with Coach Trout, his love for the game of baseball, integrity to run a baseball program, ability to connect with young men and his passion to win the championships was evident,” Teis said in a statement.

After 20 seasons leading Texas State baseball, Harrington announced two weeks ago that he was stepping down from the position. Trout says he learned how to run a program from Harrington’s tutelage.

“Steven is one of the most talented, knowledgeable, committed, creative and loyal persons and coach that is involved with college baseball. Parents have entrusted their most prized possessions (their children) to him to develop them on and off the field. He will be a superstar in this business as a head coach,” Harrington said in a release about the hiring.

https://www.kxan.com/sports/texas-state-hires-assistant-steven-trout-to-run-bobcats-baseball-program/

More on the story.    Well respected coach.   RIP.

(Like the Tyler Skaggs tragedy,  another case for all to monitor their health) 

Longtime University of Louisiana baseball coach Tony Robichaux has died, less than two weeks after suffering a major heart attack. He was 57.

Robichaux coached the Ragin’ Cajuns for 25 seasons, winning 914 games, reaching 12 NCAA Regionals, four Super Regionals and the 2000 College World Series. His teams won eight Sun Belt Conference championships, most recently in 2016.

Robichaux fell ill on June 23, and underwent two surgical procedures in recent days. The school’s athletic department issued an update on his condition last Sunday, noting that Robichaux was hospitalized in intensive care and that his family “asks specifically for prayer during this time.”

https://ragincajuns.com/news/2019/7/3/tony-robichaux-longtime-louisiana-baseball-head-coach-passes-away-at-57.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

https://d1baseball.com/columns/broken-man-inspiration/

https://twitter.com/kendallrogers?lang=en

Matt Deggs,  SHSU,  has been hired to replace Robichaux at ULL.   

A lateral move but Deggs is forever indebted to Robichaux for giving him a second chance of coaching college baseball.   Great story in link. 

Sean Allen is mentioned as a candidate to replace Deggs.    

SHSU fan forum.    Fans like Sean Allen and Miller is mentioned.   SHSU AD,  Bobby Williams (Rice alumnus), has been there for 19 years.   Will be interesting to see the credence he would place on Pierce's recommendation.

Kendall Rogers listed Sean Allen, Sirianni, Lance Harvell, Philip Miller, Justin Seely as candidates. Sirianni is a hard no for me. Sean Allen is number 1 followed by Harvell and Seely.

Dustin McComas from orangebloods told me Allen and Miller would accept job if offered.

An interesting name has come up according to Kendall Rogers. Southeastern Louisiana’s Matt Riser. I believe that would be a great hire. Riser has done a fantastic job in Hammond. I don’t think he will be the hire, however.

Edited by torre