Follow the Path of Least Resistance: An Oral History of 'Office Space'

elfenix

An Oral History of ‘Office Space’

The first time Mike Judge worked in an office, he lasted three weeks.

While taking time off from college, he landed a job alphabetizing purchase orders through a temp agency. The idea of sitting in an office intrigued him, until he learned the reality of his mind-numbing responsibility. “You’re just alphabetizing all day long,” Judge says. “I’d be home and I’d be alphabetizing in my sleep. This was like water torture.”

Edited by elfenix
made title betterer
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

losing my shit here

Spoiler

Stan Gilbert (prop master): Mike plays Stan, the manager, so all Mike kept saying was, “More, I want more, I want more.” So we scrambled all morning long the day of to come up with stuff. We hadn’t asked the right questions, apparently, of how much. [He wanted] 70 percent more flair than I was prepared for.

Judge: I needed more flair.

2 hours ago, Deej said:

Here is an oral history of Office Space.

https://ew.com/movies/2019/01/11/office-space-oral-history/

I haven't seen this movie in a while, need to drink a beer and laugh a bit at it.

CSB alert: One of my favorite UT memories is freshman year French 1, I had a ruuuude blonde professor (young, early 30s if not late 20s) who was trying to get the class to lose their American accent and make nasal vowel sounds like the French do, and she says you have to "make your O(h) face" when pronouncing words with an O. She made a full pause after that and tried to hold in her laughter at herself while like 5 of us in the class tried our best to do the same. I think about that every time I watch that scene or even hear about this movie. Damn she was a great first-semester professor to have.

One time I was standing out for this audition in New York, and this big, scary-looking Goodfellas dude across the way at a cigar shop was like, “Hey, come over here.” I was like, “Oh shit, what’s going on?” He brought me in and there were all these rough-ass dudes like, “Ohh, it’s him.” He was like, “Shut up, guys. Listen, I just want to tell you, kid, we think the way you did the printer was very authentic. You need anything ever, you just come see us.”

The custodial guy was from “Yale Janitorial Services.” I have one of those badges still. Peter lives in the “Morningwood” apartments. There were a lot of side jokes in there.

I'm a little slow on the uptake but I don't get this reference.  Some kind of Harvard joke I'm missing?

Bader: It’s an odd legacy, but if you Google “two chicks at the same time” my picture comes up. That’s my contribution to our culture as a whole. I guess I could have done without people shouting it out when I’m at the grocery store with my 4-year-old daughter. But it comes from love.

Love this quote.

• 3 years later...