Media/Hollywood's anti-Christian campaign

Monster

So the legion of atheists in this forum inspired me to read a few atheism websites.  I did find an interesting site that lists outrageous verses from the Bible, the Talmud, and the Quran.  It was editorialized a little, but I appreciated the mostly objective analysis of multiple religions.    And it got me thinking on how present-day atheists seem to focus their outrage exclusively on Christianity. 

A presumptuous mind might speculate that “atheism” is being used as a shield to hide behind while indulging in hatred toward a large group of people (that didn’t vote for their political candidate).  To dispel that presumption, I wanted to ask, why do American atheists focus almost exclusively on Christianity?  Is it the only religion they know about?  Is it politically incorrect to talk about the Talmud?  Out of fashion to talk about the Quran?

For those interested, here's the lady's atheism website with analysis of the Bible and Talmud, and their respective, eye-opening verses.  Sub-links have Quran quotes too. 

11 minutes ago, Monster said:

So the legion of atheists in this forum inspired me to read a few atheism websites.  I did find an interesting site that lists outrageous verses from the Bible, the Talmud, and the Quran.  It was editorialized a little, but I appreciated the mostly objective analysis of multiple religions.    And it got me thinking on how present-day atheists seem to focus their outrage exclusively on Christianity. 

A presumptuous mind might speculate that “atheism” is being used as a shield to hide behind while indulging in hatred toward a large group of people (that didn’t vote for their political candidate).  To dispel that presumption, I wanted to ask, why do American atheists focus almost exclusively on Christianity?  Is it the only religion they know about?  Is it politically incorrect to talk about the Talmud?  Out of fashion to talk about the Quran?

For those interested, here's the lady's atheism website with analysis of the Bible and Talmud, and their respective, eye-opening verses.  Sub-links have Quran quotes too. 

You are either dense, or not very good at psychology.

If people are pushing back at a power structure/dominant social construct....they are likely to push back against the one that they experience and are familiar with.  Of the world religions, Christianity is the dominant one in the US, and indeed is loudly trumpeted as such by many "Christians" (a google search for "America is a christian nation" gets 174,000 results).

It's the same reason that the colonists pushed back against the crown, disparate tribes pushed back against the Aztecs, etc. etc.  If history ever reaches a point where "America is a Wiccan nation" gets 174,000 hits, people will push back against Wiccans.

Summary: it ain't Christianity that's the problem, it's what American "Christians" use "Christianity" for: to impose their will and exert power over others.  That tends to piss people off.  It always has, it always will.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Monster said:

Lol. This is what some people would call a "Christard".

Here, let's get to what is a more accurate description. I'll even use your words. Mostly.

A presumptuous mind might speculate that "evangelical Christianity" is being used as a sword to attack those who hold differing views, namely non-bigoted positions toward gays, gay marriage, legalized abortion. The "love the sinner, hate the sin" is a particularly galling bit of hypocrisy. 

And to provide some much needed history to our challenged brethren, it's helpful to know that the rise of "new atheism" (or whatever one wishes to call it) really flourished after the evangelical bloom from the Karl Rove/GWB years. You know, the ignorance of intelligent design and the call to teach what is creationism in public school science classes. 

You know, it's kinda like one of Newton's laws with the reactions and opposite reactions. Sadly, evangelical christians aren't really up on their science.

37 minutes ago, Monster said:

The vast majority of American atheists were raised as Christians so they were heavily influenced by Christian indoctrination and not influenced at all by the indoctrination of other religions.  It shouldn't be surprising that they discuss Christian myths more than the myths of others.

Also, the vast majority of American atheists don't hate all Christians.  They hate the ones who try apply their beliefs to the law and to education.  Most atheists are relativist.  If it makes you happy to be Christian, then be Christian.  Just leave others alone.

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 3

Just now, FondrenRoad said:

The vast majority of American atheists were raised as Christians so they were heavily influenced by Christian indoctrination and not influenced at all by the indoctrination of other religions. 

Absolutely correct, imo, and these atheists motivation is (imo) primarily a statement against the current state of christianity, especially evangelical christianity.

Here's your weekly anti-Christian "programming".  This one is called 'The Silence” --just published on Netflix. (2019)

It starts off as a movie about carnivorous bats.  Halfway through, an evil Christian shows up, identifies his religion by using the phrase 'From the Lord' while standing in front of an enormous church. 

OD6c5L2.jpg?4zfLXdKw.jpg?3

This evil Christian and his evil Christian friends are crucifying atheists and burning them alive...or kidnapping daughters and cutting their tongues out?   Or they want to use our protagonists fertility to...um...bring on the apocalypse somehow?  It’s very convoluted and vague, but the point is, Christians are evil and they're trying to hurt your babies.

PI0f3pS.jpg?4kz2rxLN.jpg?2

Meanwhile, the prehistoric, carnivorous bats--the story I was enjoying--becomes an afterthought, because the movie is now about dastardly Christians.   Our heroes kill the Christians and the movie ends.  

What about those carnivorous bats, you ask.  Who cares.  We killed those villainous Christians, so everything's gonna be okay.   Roll credits.

23 minutes ago, elfenix said:

I'm very concerned about this D-movie that I'd have never heard of otherwise.

I will wait till the crossover sequel with the Sharknado franchise before I fully assess the theological implications of this matter.  I think that's the prudent thing to do.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Monster said:

Here's your weekly anti-Christian "programming".  This one is called 'The Silence” --just published on Netflix. (2019)

It starts off as a movie about carnivorous bats.  Halfway through, an evil Christian shows up, identifies his religion by using the phrase 'From the Lord' while standing in front of an enormous church. 

This evil Christian and his evil Christian friends are crucifying atheists and burning them alive...or kidnapping daughters and cutting their tongues out?   Or they want to use our protagonists fertility to...um...bring on the apocalypse somehow?  It’s very convoluted and vague, but the point is, Christians are evil and they're trying to hurt your babies.

Meanwhile, the prehistoric, carnivorous bats--the story I was enjoying--becomes an afterthought, because the movie is now about dastardly Christians.   Our heroes kill the Christians and the movie ends.  

What about those carnivorous bats, you ask.  Who cares.  We killed those villainous Christians, so everything's gonna be okay.   Roll credits.

That's weird. Christians aren't really known for burning atheists, blasphemers, and heretics.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

The vast majority of American atheists were raised as Christians so they were heavily influenced by Christian indoctrination and not influenced at all by the indoctrination of other religions.  It shouldn't be surprising that they discuss Christian myths more than the myths of others.

Also, the vast majority of American atheists don't hate all Christians.  They hate the ones who try apply their beliefs to the law and to education.  Most atheists are relativist.  If it makes you happy to be Christian, then be Christian.  Just leave others alone.

If 'they' hate the ones who apply their beliefs to the law and education, then they should widen the scope of that hate.  

Maybe a hundred years ago, Christians controlled law and education in the US.  But an informed relativist could hopefully see, there are other Players now contributing to the new corporate American zeitgeist.   The American economy, culture, law, and education aren't under any single entities auspices.   To blame one group for everything is simple hate.

I very much appreciate your last sentence.  Believe what you believe (or don't believe) and leave others alone.  That is the reason I created this thread.  

1 minute ago, Monster said:

If 'they' hate the ones who apply their beliefs to the law and education, then they should widen the scope of that hate.  

Maybe a hundred years ago, Christians controlled law and education in the US.  But an informed relativist could hopefully see, there are other Players now contributing to the new corporate American zeitgeist.   The American economy, culture, law, and education aren't under any single entities auspices.   To blame one group for everything is simple hate.

I very much appreciate your last sentence.  Believe what you believe (or don't believe) and leave others alone.  That is the reason I created this thread.  

Someone really needs to stress this to Donald Trump and his followers.

3 minutes ago, Monster said:

Maybe a hundred years ago, Christians controlled law and education in the US.  But an informed relativist could hopefully see, there are other Players now contributing to the new corporate American zeitgeist.   The American economy, culture, law, and education aren't under any single entities auspices.

Not to hear the current crop of folks in power tell it.  Hell, their greatest champions are folks like Falwell and Robert Jeffress -- literally the most visible "Christian" leaders in the US are fully and zealously aligned with the admin.  In short, you're full of shit.  We have, at this very moment, the most vocally "Christian"* administration in modern history.

* Oh yes, I get the irony.  And so does everyone else paying attention.  Which is why "Christians" get shit on plenty.  Because hypocrisy is MADE for having a turd dropped on it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

43 minutes ago, Monster said:

I recently watched a TV show on Netflix where Muslims were bad guys.  Does that mean Netflix is also anti-Muslim?

3 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

I recently watched a TV show on Netflix where Muslims were bad guys.  Does that mean Netflix is also anti-Muslim?

Based on frequency of use as villains in entertainment, I really think that practitioners of voodoo should be fucking PISSED, because zombies are ALWAYS the bad guy.

3 minutes ago, Monster said:

There aren't really any other groups trying to get their creation myths into textbooks.   Legislation and attempts at legislation to restrict gay rights and gay marriage are also almost an entirely Christian affair in this country.  Same with anti-transgender laws.  Same with anti-abortion and anti-contraceptive laws.

Of course that isn't all Christians.  It may shock you that most American liberals are Christian as well.  This country is 70% Christian after all.

A movie featuring a shitty church says nothing about Christianity as a whole.  Kingsman also featured a racist hateful church as a villain.  It also featured a crazed environmentalist as a villain.  Overall, its a right leaning film.  I don't recall anyone thinking the church in Kingsman represented all Christians.  If you feel these villainous churches and Christians on TV represent your church, you should go find a better church.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Not to hear the current crop of folks in power tell it.  Hell, their greatest champions are folks like Falwell and Robert Jeffress -- literally the most visible "Christian" leaders in the US are fully and zealously aligned with the admin.  In short, you're full of shit.  We have, at this very moment, the most vocally "Christian"* administration in modern history.

* Oh yes, I get the irony.  And so does everyone else paying attention.  Which is why "Christians" get shit on plenty.  Because hypocrisy is MADE for having a turd dropped on it.

You know who else is fully and zealously aligned with this 'Christian' admin?

“In over 30 years in my experience with the UN, I never heard a bolder or more courageous speech,” Netanyahu said in a statement after the speech. “President Trump spoke the truth about the great dangers facing our world, and issued a powerful call to confront them in order to ensure the future of humanity.”  -TimesofIsrael.com

23 minutes ago, Monster said:

You know who else is fully and zealously aligned with this 'Christian' admin?

“In over 30 years in my experience with the UN, I never heard a bolder or more courageous speech,” Netanyahu said in a statement after the speech. “President Trump spoke the truth about the great dangers facing our world, and issued a powerful call to confront them in order to ensure the future of humanity.”  -TimesofIsrael.com

Aligned?  No.  Playing like a fiddle to his advantage?  You bet.

Israeli leaders have been playing dominionist Christians (who THINK they are playing Israel -- hint: they ain't) for a couple of decades, at least.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Monster said:

Well mostly cause if you go hard on Islam to the wrong adherent you might lose your noggin'.........

4 hours ago, elfenix said:

I'm very concerned about this D-movie that I'd have never heard of otherwise.

This begs the question, how effective is atrocity propaganda?

0nvZNvv.png?2

Here’s an excerpt from Wikipedia, about World War 1 propaganda…

“British propaganda is regarded as having made the most extensive use of fictitious atrocities to promote the war effort.   One such story was that German soldiers were deliberately mutilating Belgian babies by cutting off their hands, (not tongues) in some versions even eating them.  Another atrocity story involved a Canadian soldier, who had supposedly been CRUCIFIED with bayonets by the Germans.”

So how effective was this campaign of ridiculous crucifixion stories and absurd child mutilations?  Hard to say.  But when it came time to fight these baby-mutilating, soldier-crucifying Germans, Americans eagerly crossed an ocean with the enthusiastic approval of the public. 

Of course, this was great news to Wall Street war financiers like JP Morgan & Co. who’d been loaning money to the allied war effort long before the US entered the war.  The British owed more than $400 million to JP Morgan and Co. and if the allies lost the war--it was still very much in doubt--JPM might've lost all of that money.  ($400 million in 1917 = $10 billion in 2019)

But inspired by stories of fictional atrocities, and the sinking of a British ship, Americans joined the war, the allies won, and JPM and the other war financiers collected all of the interest on their loans.  In the US alone, more than 21,000 new ‘war millionaires’ were created after WW1, according to Smedley D. Butler, the most decorated marine in history at the time of his death, and author of ‘War is a Racket’. 

History has proven that propaganda is effective and can be very, very profitable.  Which I suppose, is why we still see it today, migrating from Life magazine cartoons to Netflix. 

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Israeli leaders have been playing dominionist Christians (who THINK they are playing Israel -- hint: they ain't) for a couple of decades, at least.

You're not going to like this, but I agree with you.  Moreover, you should probably go back another couple decades...to the last guy who tried to inspect Israel's nuclear program. John F. Kennedy.

Edited by Monster

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Consider Netanyahu’s ‘bribe based relationship’ with Hollywood producer, Arnon Milchan.   Milchan, the Tel Aviv born tycoon, is described by the L.A. Times as "one of the movie business' most influential producers'.  He is also described as ‘probably Israel’s largest armaments dealer’ circa1989.  He was also connected to a pro-apartheid propaganda campaign in the 70’s involving south Africa (think free labor at diamond mines) and endured another scandal when one of his Israeli companies received a shipment of devices that could be used to trigger nuclear explosions.

But don't worry, Hollywood just wants to entertain us.    

JcdsKnJ.jpg?1

Link to the article in case you think I'm making any of this up. (Written by Faughnder, Fleishman, Sobelman)

20 minutes ago, Monster said:

Consider Netanyahu’s ‘bribe based relationship’ with Hollywood producer, Arnon Milchan.   Milchan, the Tel Aviv born tycoon, is described by the L.A. Times as "one of the movie business' most influential producers'.  He is also described as ‘probably Israel’s largest armaments dealer’ circa1989.  He was also connected to a pro-apartheid propaganda campaign in the 70’s involving south Africa (think free labor at diamond mines) and endured another scandal when one of his Israeli companies received a shipment of devices that could be used to trigger nuclear explosions.

But don't worry, Hollywood just wants to entertain us.    

JcdsKnJ.jpg?1

Link to the article in case you think I'm making any of this up. (Written by Faughnder, Fleishman, Sobelman)

imgur>
Edited by Continental Op
  • Like 1

Would it kill some of you ardent Christians to stop and thank the Jews for inventing your religion.  They didn't have to give you gentiles something to follow, but they did.  And you shit all over them at every turn.  The same way you give your kids some toys, a couple of scenarios or ideas for the characters, and let them have at it.  Well, those children say thank you and so should you.  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Would it kill some of you ardent Christians to stop and thank the Jews for inventing your religion.  They didn't have to give you gentiles something to follow, but they did.  And you shit all over them at every turn.  The same way you give your kids some toys, a couple of scenarios or ideas for the characters, and let them have at it.  Well, those children say thank you and so should you.  

They kicked us (jew and gentile alike) out of the synagogues. Shit kinda went downhill after that. 

On 4/12/2019 at 2:34 PM, Longhornfan1024 said:

Netflix is a distributor.  To answer your question, you'd need to look at the producer, exec producer, owner of the production company.  Is the producer a former Israeli armament tycoon?  Does a Halliburton subsidiary own the production company?  Look at the names.  Highlight name>Right click>search will teach you a lot about who wants you to hate who.

On 4/12/2019 at 8:16 PM, Continental Op said:

Blaming 'The Jews' for what Netanyahu and his friends do is just as dumb as blaming 'The Christians' for what Trump and his friends do.   Lumping millions of individuals into  giant hateable boxes is the exact problem I'm trying to address.

Edited by Monster

9 hours ago, Monster said:

Blaming 'The Jews' for what Netanyahu and his friends do is just as dumb as blaming 'The Christians' for what Trump and his friends do.   Lumping millions of individuals into  giant hateable boxes is the exact problem I'm trying to address.

Agreed. 

However, there were (still are) millions of deplorables.

F4GnlZJ.jpg?2

I’ll just say this and ban myself from this thread for a while. 

Beware of divisive propaganda dressed up as ‘entertainment’.

If you want to blame someone for conflict in the world, look at the specific individuals who profit from that conflict.   This information is readily available on the internet.  For now. 

Hint #1: It’s not your neighbor or the family down the street. 

Hint #2: Look at the individuals who've been financing wars for the last 200 years.  (Sometimes, both sides.)

Hint #3: Don’t focus on their religion.  These war profiteers fund people with a variety of religious backgrounds, all over the world.

The Elite invest a lot of money in getting you to hate and fear each other.  (Right/Left, Black/White, Muslim/Christian)   This keeps you battling each other, instead of them.  And when you go to war with each other, they rake in ungodly profits.  If you refuse to fight, they forfeit their investments in hate and fear. 

That's how you beat the Elite.  Resist their propaganda.  Stop fighting each other.  Pursue happiness.

On 4/13/2019 at 10:16 PM, Monster said:

Netflix is a distributor.  To answer your question, you'd need to look at the producer, exec producer, owner of the production company.  Is the producer a former Israeli armament tycoon?  Does a Halliburton subsidiary own the production company?  Look at the names.  Highlight name>Right click>search will teach you a lot about who wants you to hate who.

You may think this helps your argument.  It doesn't.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2019 at 5:37 PM, Lobo said:

Apologies for the bump, but I just read this and immediately thought of your comment that Christians should be grateful for what they've been given.

"The people of God co-operate with atheists; the most skillful accumulators of property ally themselves with communists; the peculiar and chosen race touch the hand of all the scum and low castes of Europe!   And all this because they wish to destroy that ungrateful Christendom which owes to them even its name, and whose tyranny they can no longer endure."  -Benjamin Disraeli, prime minister of the UK, Jewish born, quoted in a book titled, Lord George Bentinck:A Political Biography (published 1852).

From your comment, it would appear you're burdened by this same grudge.   I'm curious as to when your maintenance started of this very old grudge.  Is it an instinct that developed over time?  Was it taught to you by a parent or a community leader?  

At what point did you stop seeing the people around you as neighbors and start seeing them as "gentiles" that need to be taught a lesson?

Guest Lobo

About the same time you apparently lost your sense of detecting sarcasm dude.  

All organized religions are a curse to humanity, including atheism.  Structured belief systems inhibit us, nothing more.  

On May 1, 2019 at 5:02 PM, Lobo said:

About the same time you apparently lost your sense of detecting sarcasm dude.  

All organized religions are a curse to humanity, including atheism.  Structured belief systems inhibit us, nothing more.  

Atheism is a religion like "off" is a TV channel. Don't be obtuse. It's not a belief system. 

We're all born atheist. 

• Like 1