Beto 2020

bad_teammate

I don't really care if someone earned or inherited their wealth per se, though earning it can be a positive to the extent it shows expertise or competence. What does matter to me is if inherited wealth played a part in making someone a clueless asshole.   It did for Trump, and didn't for RFK, at least by 1968.  Beto isn't RFK, but he seems to be a decent guy who acknowledges his privilege.  So to me, the inherited wealth is a non-factor in evaluating his candidacy. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, troph said:

So who can say that and what if I feel like I was born to be in it regardless of what someone thinks of me?

Beto hasn't been arrested for saying, "Man, I'm just born to be in it." He was able to raise $6.1M from 120k unique donors in his first 24 hours. He's travelling the country and will have hundreds/thousands of people screaming for joy at the sight of him. He can live the rest of his life without ever knowing anyone looks askance at him and be constantly cosseted by the embrace of adoring fans until he dies in extreme wealth.

3 hours ago, troph said:

In terms of being president? No. But I’m not upset he’s a white guy either.

No one is upset that he's a white guy. Be serious.

Listen to the criticism and adapt to it... or don't, I guess, but going with "You guys are just racist against whites!" is really really dumb.

5 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Have we ever seen such backlash from a candidate's own party when clearly a large portion of the voting populace likes said candidate?  This is insane.

No candidate has ever, ever, been attacked like Beto has by his own party. I am so amazed by his (and his supporters) resilience. Truly amazing. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

No candidate has ever, ever, been attacked like Beto has by his own party. I am so amazed by his (and his supporters) resilience. Truly amazing. 

I’m guessing you weren’t in Chicago in ‘68?

Is anyone not aware of the decade plus campaign by Fox News, right-wing talking heads, and right-wing politicians to paint Hillary as corrupt and dishonest? Fox News + whitewater + Benghazi+ HeR eMaIls + 2015/16 social media manipulation + uranium one + Clinton foundation were all hammered into half of the US population. 

4 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

Is anyone not aware of the decade plus campaign by Fox News, right-wing talking heads, and right-wing politicians to paint Hillary as corrupt and dishonest? Fox News + whitewater + Benghazi+ HeR eMaIls + 2015/16 social media manipulation + uranium one + Clinton foundation were all hammered into half of the US population. 

Yes, we are all aware of it. But that's not what was being discussed.

Biff said, "No candidate has ever, ever, been attacked like Beto has by his own party."

Then some people joked about that because it's obviously silly given the DNC literally conspiring against one of their own candidates in the last primary.

Outside the party, yes, the Republicans have been awful to mother for decades.

Inside the party? lol

11 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Biff said, "No candidate has ever, ever, been attacked like Beto has by his own party."

Then some people joked about that because it's obviously silly given the DNC literally conspiring against one of their own candidates in the last primary.

Inside the party? lol

Yes, but you see, the only reason that we know anything at all about the internal efforts at the DNC to undermine the democratic primary process is because the RUSSIANS ATTACKED OUR DEMOCRACY!

Edited by Anastasis

6 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Inside the party? lol

We are talking about the fair treatment of candidates. I’m talking broader than you and that’s ok. 

I understand you are still upset and feel the DNC rigged it for Hillary. That conspiracy I understand was limited to the passing of debate questions.  

Hank Scorpio is never sarcastic at all. He was completely serious when he said no candidate has been attacked like Beto.

*Note: this post is sarcasm. Just like 99% of all Hank Scorpio posts. I’m spelling it out for you because some of you are incredibly dense.

• Like 1

https://twitter.com/larry_levitt/status/1109101716304089088

9 years later, still over 25 million Americans still uncovered.

Let's double down, baby! ACA 2.0!

The requirement to pay premiums will guarantee that millions of Americans, including children, will remain uninsured. Medicare-for-America will continue to leave behind millions of Americans. Not only that, but poorer Americans will have worse basic care options and quality than those who have more money.

And remember, this isn't where Beto lands after compromise. This is his ideal outcome.

Maybe it's better that he doesn't talk too much about policy.

Edited by bad_teammate

To be fair to both sides, a huge chunk of those deaths are from American doctors over-prescribing American drugs to American patients who become American addicts.  

The border has nothing to do with the painkiller crisis.  But hey, at least we're no longer off-shoring our addictions.  'Murica! 

Actually a huge chunk of those deaths are the result of legislation making it more difficult for drug addicts to obtain prescription painkillers from legitimate clinics; pushing the addicts to get their pain fix from the streets. More specifically: heroin, which is cheaper and stronger than pills on the black market. Then at some point on this black market heroin chain a criminal gets greedy and decides to cut the heroin with fentanyl and kill a hundred down market customers

Probably the Chinese getting revenge for the opium wars

Edited by cmontexas

Americans are overdosing on bad Mexican weed! DO SOMETHING!

More on Medicare-for-America...

"If you like your healthcare you can keep it" is a lie.

1) Employers will (hopefully) be incentivized to move their current coverage to the public options, meaning that if you liked your plan... oops you were forced off of it by ACA 2.0.
2) The odds that all private insurers will make no changes to the current plans in response is zero. Your plan is going to change, even if you like it, under ACA 2.0.
3) Your employer can take away that insurance at any time by firing you or otherwise reducing benefits coverage. You have no consistent guarantee of doctor access (doctors who took your employer/private may not take the public option) under ACA 2.0.

This plan is absolute garbage.

Also, there is zero evidence that Republicans or the health insurance industry are more in favor of it.

Not bad. Works out to $54 per donor. Not sure why they didn't just post that number from the beginning, but I'm guessing it's more difficult to sort out the multiple donations from single donors. Anyway, there's not really a way to negatively spin his fundraising. It's a force. And Saturday, he's going to have people organizing watch parties in their homes across the United States. This is 9-10 months out from the first contest. It's hard to say how much the attacks will resonate once the majority of primary voters start really paying attention, but I think it will be hard to respond to the machine that Beto is building. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, horncyclist said:
Not sure why they didn't just post that number from the beginning, but I'm guessing it's more difficult to sort out the multiple donations from single donors. Anyway, there's not really a way to negatively spin his fundraising. It's a force.

He's clearly top tier when it comes to fundraising and I don't foresee a scenario in which he doesn't remain in the top tier of fundraising. One of the few metrics we have for voter popularity is number of individual contributors/volunteers. He's also top tier there.

I don't know where Biden is going to find an enthusiastic base. And I especially don't see what kind of base is going to show up for him at rallies and be really excited by his pompous rambling. Biden could flame out very quickly.

He's clearly top tier when it comes to fundraising and I don't foresee a scenario in which he doesn't remain in the top tier of fundraising. One of the few metrics we have for voter popularity is number of individual contributors/volunteers. He's also top tier there.
I don't know where Biden is going to find an enthusiastic base. And I especially don't see what kind of base is going to show up for him at rallies and be really excited by his pompous rambling. Biden could flame out very quickly.

Agree. His polling is all about name recognition and good feelings about Obama administration.