Beto 2020

bad_teammate

Austin is not as white as most think.  however, for a city that can't stop patting itself on the back for how diverse and progressive it is, it's woefully gentrified and segregated.  It's not awful, but it is light years behind where most Austin liberals think it is.  I'm somewhat embarrassed about this fact and I love living here.  We're in South Austin near Zilker Park and there's only two families of any diversity on my street.  Me, a half-Hispanic...not exactly lighting up the "people of color" scale and an Indian family who are 3rd generations from Houston.  

Anyway, back to Congressman O'Rourke ;)

~*~*~ white liberalism ~*~*~

Non-whites: "This area is very white and isn't comfortable for non-whites."

White liberals: "FUCK OFF WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO KILL MYSELF? FUCK! I'M JUST TRYING TO LIVE MY LIFE LEAVE ME ALONE! THERE ARE LOTS OF NOT WHITE SERVANTS WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM??!?"

I know that feels. Took the kids to Flores here in Lakeway the other day just cause it was easy and I wanted a tequila drink.  I was too lazy to drive to Maudies in BC, and frankly would have pulled over at La Salsas before I made it that far. Kids whine about Santa Catarina, but it es el superior out this way. 

One of my big pet peeves is the kids bagging on Santa Catarina. Food out here is super limited but it is passable if you keep to a few - the Grove, Santa Catarina, Hops & Thyme, Torchy’s, Cho’s, Canyon Grille at Rough Hollow and Sundancer Grille (but only by boat), and Maudie’s. Fast food is off that list but there are a few good ones - PT Terry’s, Mod Pizza, Hat Creek, etc.

Curious your other go to’s but to your point the kids balking at the only decent options is getting tired.

Austin Diversity Talk Not Going Away
(Houston had a bigger, more diverse crowd. Austin loses again. Eat shit, hippies.)

Houston is the nations fourth largest city and the energy capital of the world. It should be more diverse.

Non-whites: "This area is very white and isn't comfortable for non-whites."
White liberals: "FUCK OFF WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO KILL MYSELF? FUCK! I'M JUST TRYING TO LIVE MY LIFE LEAVE ME ALONE! THERE ARE LOTS OF NOT WHITE SERVANTS WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM??!?"

Look man that’s not helpful and I don’t hear much of that really. There is a vexing problem with how individuals resolve institutional and structural racism. And your response doesn’t make it easier.
  • Like 2

One of my big pet peeves is the kids bagging on Santa Catarina. Food out here is super limited but it is passable if you keep to a few - the Grove, Santa Catarina, Hops & Thyme, Torchy’s, Cho’s, Canyon Grille at Rough Hollow and Sundancer Grille (but only by boat), and Maudie’s. Fast food is off that list but there are a few good ones - PT Terry’s, Mod Pizza, Hat Creek, etc.

Curious your other go to’s but to your point the kids balking at the only decent options is getting tired.

Don Mario, Cafe Verona, Rays, The League, Seafood Shack.

Flores, not even once!
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, troph said:

Houston is the nations fourth largest city and the energy capital of the world. It should be more diverse.

source.gif

2 minutes ago, troph said:

Look man that’s not helpful and I don’t hear much of that really. There is a vexing problem with how individuals resolve institutional and structural racism. And your response doesn’t make it easier.

It actually is helpful for us to take off the nose clips and smell our own bullshit.

Some non-whites are in here saying, "This is how we feel" and we whites feel compelled to respond and defend as our values feel attacked by the reality we choose to live. I get it. I live in a super-white enclave of extraordinary privileged wealth and I bought my home decades ago for the exact same reasons many of you guys bought yours more recently because you're all younger, more vital, and more attractive than me oh god i'm going to be dead soon

"This is what I can afford with the best public schools and is... *ahem*... safe."

(This is where I encourage everyone to read The Two-Income Trap by Elizabeth Warren)

Here's the simple answer: Non-whites don't have enough money to live where we live.

In 2016, the average white family in America held about $919,000 of wealth. The average black family, by contrast, held just $140,000; the average Hispanic family held only $192,000. What's worse, this disparity has remained essentially unchanged since the early 1960s.

We have more money than them. That is literally all it is. Therefore, they need to have as much money as us. Once that happens, we'll all mix up together (not perfectly blended, of course, because like will select like more often than not). We need to radically redistribute wealth in this country. The government needs to take our money away and give it to them, either directly (emotionally satisfying and cinematically cool) or through economic reform (my preference because I like my house). (And the reality is that the us in "our money" is primarily the top 1-5% of white people.)

We white libs have the Correct Views on race and the Right Beliefs on justice, but... uh... what do we actually propose to do to give them enough money to achieve parity? Unlock the creative vital engine of uniquely powerful American ingenuity and hopeful visions of access to apprenticeships?

That's the question that anyone who actually gives a shit should be wrestling with.

Flores, not even once!

I’ve been wondering about Don Mario - we will try. We went to the League last night has a Bartlett’s feel we’ve gone to the bar before it makes the bar food list for sure. Dinner is good enough I think. Cafe Verona scares me bc of pasta but we should try.

I don’t know what Rays or Seafood Shack is...

It actually is helpful for us to take off the nose clips and smell our own bullshit. Some non-whites are in here saying, "This is how we feel" and we whites feel compelled to respond and defend as our values feel attacked by the reality we choose to live. I get it. I live in a super-white enclave of extraordinary privileged wealth and I bought my home decades ago for the exact same reasons many of you guys bought yours more recently because you're all younger, more vital, and more attractive than me oh god i'm going to be dead soon"This is what I can afford with the best public schools and is... *ahem*... safe."

(This is where I encourage everyone to read The Two-Income Trap by Elizabeth Warren)

Here's the simple answer: Non-whites don't have enough money to live where we live.

In 2016, the average white family in America held about $919,000 of wealth. The average black family, by contrast, held just $140,000; the average Hispanic family held only $192,000. What's worse, this disparity has remained essentially unchanged since the early 1960s.

We have more money than them. That is literally all it is. Therefore, they need to have as much money as us. Once that happens, we'll all mix up together (not perfectly blended, of course, because like will select like more often than not). We need to radically redistribute wealth in this country. The government needs to take our money away and give it to them, either directly (emotionally satisfying and cinematically cool) or through economic reform (my preference because I like my house). (And the reality is that the us in "our money" is primarily the top 1-5% of white people.)

We white libs have the Correct Views on race and the Right Beliefs on justice, but... uh... what do we actually propose to do to give them enough money to achieve parity? Unlock the creative vital engine of uniquely powerful American ingenuity and hopeful visions of access to apprenticeships?

That's the question that anyone who actually gives a shit should be wrestling with.

Dude you think I the former privileged in every way white dude now transitioned trans woman doesn’t get it?

It’s only because I’m white that I’m not at risk to become a murder statistic on any day I walk out my front door. I used to work for an org that dealt with the bullshit every day.

Btw today is transgender day of visibility - hi mother fuckers - I’m here and not going anywhere. Let US be in charge!! Fuck all of the privilege of Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders. Even Kamala. Cisgender oppression sucks. Queer is the bomb dot com! And yet every fucking thing I see every fucking day says queer and gay and trans is abnormal and not ok. You have to have extraordinary self confidence just to tread water in the cisgender heteronormative world we live in. It’s not about hoods to live in or wealth it’s pervasive without exception UNLESS you go to gay and queer enclaves for respite.

Early in my transition I got pulled over several times and had cops pull me out of the car bc something didn’t seem right to them. I was scared shitless I would be taken in and then holy shit I’m one step away from rape and harassment in a city jail. Again thank god I’m white. And it’s STILL a nagging fear. Who the hell should be afraid of a routine traffic stop? Well if you aren’t white and cisgender you always are.

So look dude - I get it.

You want to have a convo about it? Start a thread. Politics aren’t about the pure ideas winning. Politics are about making tomorrow incrementally better than yesterday at the risk of going backward.

I’ve given cash to warren and kamala and Beto and I’ll go with either of them. But what I want is to win. Period.

On the ideas, lecturing or worse mocking white cisgender people isn’t going to get them to radically change. It’s just not.

• Like 4

Dude you think I the former privileged in every way white dude now transitioned trans woman doesn’t get it?

It’s only because I’m white that I’m not at risk to become a murder statistic on any day I walk out my front door. I used to work for an org that dealt with the bullshit every day.

Btw today is transgender day of visibility - hi mother fuckers - I’m here and not going anywhere. Let US be in charge!! Fuck all of the privilege of Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders. Even Kamala. Cisgender oppression sucks. Queer is the bomb dot com! And yet every fucking thing I see every fucking day says queer and gay and trans is abnormal and not ok. You have to have extraordinary self confidence just to tread water in the cisgender heteronormative world we live in. It’s not about hoods to live in or wealth it’s pervasive without exception UNLESS you go to gay and queer enclaves for respite.

Early in my transition I got pulled over several times and had cops pull me out of the car bc something didn’t seem right to them. I was scared shitless I would be taken in and then holy shit I’m one step away from rape and harassment in a city jail. Again thank god I’m white. And it’s STILL a nagging fear. Who the hell should be afraid of a routine traffic stop? Well if you aren’t white and cisgender you always are.

So look dude - I get it.

You want to have a convo about it? Start a thread. Politics aren’t about the pure ideas winning. Politics are about making tomorrow incrementally better than yesterday at the risk of going backward.

I’ve given cash to warren and kamala and Beto and I’ll go with either of them. But what I want is to win. Period.

On the ideas, lecturing or worse mocking white cisgender people isn’t going to get them to radically change. It’s just not.

Wait...we still get to talk shit about drunk and obnoxious Highland Park golf fans, right?

1 hour ago, troph said:

Ok... what does that have to do with anything, though?

You've given cash to people who are way the hell behind the top two candidates both in terms of polling vs. Trump and in terms of polling among the candidates. If your primary concern was merely winning, wouldn't they be the ones getting your support? You would be a frontrunner, right? You'd have Bama jerseys and Patriots hats. You'd have a "Joe-or-Bernie!" t-shirt.

Of course not. You aren't operating outside the purity of ideology, you just have a different ideology than the frontrunners and/or you have identity concerns. Your ideology keeps you from doing the thing you claim is most important. Like everyone else. The biggest lie you can tell yourself in this context (politics/candidate support) is that your support for whichever candidate is non-ideological. Literally everything you 

Betofans have ideology. Bernie Bros have ideology. Everyone has ideology and we are all eating from the trashcan.

The more specific part of what I just linked without the fun intro...

Betoheads need to put on the ideology glasses and ask themselves honestly why they like Beto so much.

What's it really about? What is the ideology?

PUT ON THE GLASSES! lol

2 hours ago, troph said:

2 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Flores, not even once!

I started a thread on the Austin naoch board for further discussion. 

I like Grove and big fan of Hops and Thyme (very legit burger). Have not tried Don Mario or Verona, will do so.  I agree on The League.  I like Rays, have had lunch at the bar that was good but underwhelmed with dinner, and especially the service. I would add Apis at the top of my list, but we aren't talking about tex mex or italian or brasserie any more. I like the food at Wild as well.  The real problem out here is getting good servers. I have enjoyed what I had at Wild, but the service is so bad and disappointing. Also RIP Backdraft Pizza. 

15 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I know that feels. Took the kids to Flores here in Lakeway the other day just cause it was easy and I wanted a tequila drink.  I was too lazy to drive to Maudies in BC, and frankly would have pulled over at La Salsas before I made it that far. Kids whine about Santa Catarina, but it es el superior out this way. 

holy shit Anastasis is my neighbor...

I still wear mine because the two Beto For America shirts I ordered haven’t come in yet.

I’ll probably only wear the senate one around the house and to sleep in.

Four and half more hours to get $106,000!

df9acd0a2e966cad41a1ae240415278a.jpg

So far 27,044 contributions which averages out to $33.08 per contribution.

I just donated $50 more and bought a Beto for America shirt. 
Question: Can I still wear by Beto for Senate shirt or does that just remind everyone that he lost?

Nah. Everyone except bad_teammate will be ok with it. He will lose his shit though.

5 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

lol Beto getting his ass dragged here by the residents.

"That's just your opinion." lmao. 

*googles Walker Bragman*

https://www.salon.com/2016/04/29/a_liberal_case_for_donald_trump_the_lesser_of_two_evils_is_not_at_all_clear_in_2016/

A liberal case for Donald Trump: The lesser of two evils is not at all clear in 2016

Is there one? A Trump presidency needn't be a nightmare for the left. On many issues, Clinton presidency might be

WALKER BRAGMAN

APRIL 29, 2016 2:00PM (UTC)

11 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

lol Beto getting his ass dragged here by the residents.

"That's just your opinion." lmao. 

Well, purging Mexican neighborhoods via gentrification might explain Beto's popularity in Austin.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Of all the things people are griping at Beto about, his promise to require his cabinet to have monthly town hall meetings with citizens is the one that rings the most false to me.

Y’all are really going to scorn him and scoff at him for that????

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Of all the things people are griping at Beto about, his promise to require his cabinet to have monthly town hall meetings with citizens is the one that rings the most false to me.

Y’all are really going to scorn him and scoff at him for that????

Yes, they have jobs they need to focus on and I do not want the Sec Def worrying about answering the whims and arguing the opinions of random people, especially on TV. I want the Secretary to focus on their job implementing policy as determined by the Executive and funding by Congress(critters). The same goes for each secretary. They are not the Exec in Chief. Their job is not defend policy but to implement. He can have a Town Hall, fireside chat, or a fogata, but let them focus on their damn jobs. What is next, they all post policy on twitter? Determine the direction of the nation based on how many likes and positive comments? 

We are a Republic, not a democracy. 

• Like 1

It's a gimmick and I don't even know what problem it is intended to solve. Cabinet officials already hold press conferences and testify before Congress.

A town hall is about getting in front of voters. Cabinet officials are not voted into office. The President appoints the cabinet and they all serve at his pleasure, not the voters'.

Also, there are 21 people in Trump's cabinet. There would be a public town hall from the Executive basically every single weekday.

What's the point?