Beto 2020

bad_teammate

I don’t know what’s cuter.

The way Beto is looking at Amy while she was speaking or the way plaid shirt guy and big eyed gal are looking at Beto.

272684c4cbe6035cf2362494d0c84dd8.jpg

(Molly looks just like Amy)

This speech is not just his usual peace and love; he’s bringing in his policy stances.

BT - he’s singing your song right now about unions.

lol Nah I couldn’t get to El Paso this weekend.

I am at a watch party though.

I did drive 6 hours from Tuscaloosa to Little Rock on Election Day in 1992 to celebrate when I was a sophomore in college.

If Beto wins in 2020, I may make the trip to El Paso.

I’ll fly this time. I’m too fucking tired for that kind of drive at my big age.

10 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

If Beto wins in 2020, I may make the trip to El Paso.

You'll dig it the most. But you know what the funniest thing about El Paso is? It's the little differences. A lotta the same shit we got here in regular America, they got there, but there they're a little different.
Edited by tantric superman
  • Like 1

I know this is the superficial marketing side of campaigning but whoever made the decision to go with the black and white colors for campaign signs should get an extra dollar. 

It’s different and new.  Bitches love different and new.  Way to co-opt the ISIS flag colors. 

26 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

You'll dig it the most. But you know what the funniest thing about El Paso is? It's the little differences. A lotta the same shit we got here in regular America, they got there, but there they're a little different.

I’ve been all over this country and the people in El Paso are the nicest I’ve ever met. Been there about 15 times and it’s always the same. Reminds me of going to Canada, except not as white. 

Second best Mexican food too (after Laredo). 

Would be kind of crazy for the president to have been from there though. Never thought I’d see that was possible. 

9 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I know this is the superficial marketing side of campaigning but whoever made the decision to go with the black and white colors for campaign signs should get an extra dollar. 

It’s different and new.  Bitches love different and new.  Way to co-opt the ISIS flag colors. 

That’s what he had during the senate run. I agree it was a brilliant stroke by whoever came up with it. 

Didn’t know ISIS had a flag though. 

20 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Beto certainly has the charisma.  If the dotard is any indication, that's what matters the most to people.  Mayor Pete and Warren have detailed policy agendas, but I'm not sure if that resonates with the average voter.  

So Beto/Warren is very "Obama/Biden"-esque

The charisma and positive rah-rah at the top; the gravitas following behind to guide them through Washington 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

So Beto/Warren is very "Obama/Biden"-esque

The charisma and positive rah-rah at the top; the gravitas following behind to guide them through Washington 

I have a hard time believing anyone is going to pick Warren as their VP although it would be awesome. 

Politically, the best strategy this go around is to have the runner up be the VP.  Even if it’s Bernie or Warren.  This primary is going to be fucking brutal because we’re going to have the Trumpers trolling the whole time trying to divide and pick apart candidates.  The republicans don’t have much of a primary to worry about and I’m not even worried about the Russians because the Trumpkins will be doing their work for them.  At the end of the primary it will be critical there isn’t any bad blood. The Democratic Party needs to unite behind the best ticket possible that satisfies the broadest amount of supporters.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I have a hard time believing anyone is going to pick Warren as their VP although it would be awesome. 

Politically, the best strategy this go around is to have the runner up be the VP.  Even if it’s Bernie or Warren.  This primary is going to be fucking brutal because we’re going to have the Trumpers trolling the whole time trying to divide and pick apart candidates.  The republicans don’t have much of a primary to worry about and I’m not even worried about the Russians because the Trumpkins will be doing their work for them.  At the end of the primary it will be critical there isn’t any bad blood. The Democratic Party needs to unite behind the best ticket possible that satisfies the broadest amount of supporters.

I completely agree that whoever is the runner up should be the VP with a couple of exceptions, if Biden or Bernie win and the other is in second, no way should they both be on the ticket. Then you go with whoever came in third. 

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

I don’t know what’s cuter.

The way Beto is looking at Amy while she was speaking or the way plaid shirt guy and big eyed gal are looking at Beto.

272684c4cbe6035cf2362494d0c84dd8.jpg

This is how everyone who’s spouse will inherit them into the billionaires club looks at them. 

Beto certainly has the charisma.  If the dotard is any indication, that's what matters the most to people.  Mayor Pete and Warren have detailed policy agendas, but I'm not sure if that resonates with the average voter.  

At the end of the day, it is absolutely what matters. Since JFK it is essentially the only thing that matters. Name the last President who didn't have a bigger personality than their general election opponent..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

All that being said, Beto has to be get to a moderate position on immigration.  As tough as he can be without being heartless.

Does he? Trump has taken such a hard line, and often blatantly racist stance, that anyone with two brain cells is turned off. The #buildthewall crowd (the vast majority of which, ironically, live hundreds or thousands of miles from the border) will be with him to the end, but that's only 35-40 percent of the electorate.

The Ds have an unprecedented opportunity to sell and advance a humane, progressive immigration policy because, as a country, we've watched the only alternative in the election unfold over the past couple years, and it is both wildly dysfunctional and morally abhorrent. Being from the border and obviously noted for his charisma, Beto is probably better positioned than anyone to be as liberal on immigration as he damn well pleases.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

However, the origin story is absolutely instructive and meaningful, especially since his push into office was funded by wealthy Republicans who wanted him to use his charming bilingual nature to try and convince poor Latinos to not resist as their neighborhood was torn down. And he obliged. Then he primaried a Latino Democrat from the right to get the Congressional seat.

I completely agree that whoever is the runner up should be the VP with a couple of exceptions, if Biden or Bernie win and the other is in second, no way should they both be on the ticket. Then you go with whoever came in third. 
1) Biden
2) Bernie
3) Beto

5 hours ago, Tom said:

I guess I just don't see the significance.  I'm a Warren and Mayor Pete guy, so I don't really have a dog in the fight.  But there's a significant Hispanic presence in every large Texas city.  El Paso, regardless of him being from there, is a border city.  I just don't see how Beto not going to San Antonio is a slight against Hispanics.  This isn't the Texas Senate race and he's not going to be able to visit everywhere there are people.

Austin is the most lily white city in the state of Texas. Seriously, being in Austin is comparable to being in Carmel, Indiana when it comes to racial diversity. They both have that "Get Out" feel about them.

It feels like a slight because he is using a Hispanic name but is just walking right by the largest Hispanic city in Texas and one of the largest in the country.

good crowd here. 10k overall outside + inside based on my know-nothing estimate. great energy

if this guy can get rolling its going to be vital to push him hard, hard, hard, hard, to stay left and move further

I already did this hopeychange shit for a charismatic leader with Obama and I can't get my heart broken again

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tantric superman said:

I think so.  I think he'd be Senator Beto if he had really focused in on this issue and convinced some more people that he wasn't just attacking the haters, but actually recognized and addressed some pro-restriction concerns.

We'll never know for sure, but I don't buy it. 500k Abbott voters crossed party lines. I don't think there were another 150k behind them on the fence because of immigration, but ultimately voting to rubber stamp the Trump admin's immigration stance because Beto was a wee bit too much in the other direction. It's pretty polarizing, in case you haven't noticed. I doesn't pass the test of logic that anyone that voted to uphold the status quo in that department could have been swayed on immigration policy. Certainly not in large enough numbers to change the outcome. Not to mention, it isn't like Beto was out there peddling the hippie-communism open borders stuff Fox News and baby boomer facebook said he was.

If there was a way he could have been Senator Beto, and I'm not sure there was, I think it was in the other direction. Relative to the rest of the state, turnout in South Texas did not spike quite as much. The fact that Beto's campaign did not do a good job or put a lot of effort into organizing, funding, etc. in that part of the state is documented. If they had done a better job down there, maybe they find the votes they need. But that would not have been accomplished with wishy-washy rhetoric on immigration.

The latter point speaks to what @F250 is talking about. I think it is a fair point to say that Beto's base, somewhat counter-intuitively for a Democrat from El Paso, is the educated/well-off white vote. Again, go back to the election - who flocked to him in droves and crowdfunded his campaign? I don't think the Austin over San Antonio thing would necessarily mean anything in a vacuum. Austin is a Democratic ATM after all. But it is another data point that shows his affinity for that crowd. I can see how that could seem like a slight to Latino voters.

29 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yeah, no.

American Fact Finder is down right now (thanks, Trump!), but Wikipedia shows Austin as 35 percent Hispanic as of the 2010 census. That is compared to over 60 for San Antonio and low 40s for Dallas and Houston. All four show very large increases over time (probably partially due to it being added as a category in the first place).

So no, Austin isn't lily-white. It is, however, very segregated as large American cities go. That is well documented, and anecdotally I notice it every time I leave town.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

American Fact Finder is down right now (thanks, Trump!), but Wikipedia shows Austin as 35 percent Hispanic as of the 2010 census. That is compared to over 60 for San Antonio and low 40s for Dallas and Houston. All four show very large increases over time (probably partially due to it being added as a category in the first place).

So no, Austin isn't lily-white. It is, however, very segregated as large American cities go. That is well documented, and anecdotally I notice it every time I leave town.

Oh, I won't argue about the segregated aspect of it, but "the GET OUT" feeling he made up?  Fuck that.