Beto 2020

bad_teammate

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Oh, I won't argue about the segregated aspect of it, but "the GET OUT" feeling he made up?  Fuck that.

The "Get Out" feeling is the discomfort a minority feels when they are in an obviously segregated area whether the segregation is intentional or not.

If you have never felt that in Austin is there any place you have felt it before?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F250 said:

The "Get Out" feeling is the discomfort a minority feels when they are in an obviously segregated area whether the segregation is intentional or not.

If you have never felt that in Austin is there any place you have felt it before?

Of course.  I have felt it in numerous cities all over the world.  Vidor, Beaumont, Orange, parts of Dallas, just in Texas.  Also, Toronto, Nashville, St. Louis, and a host of others.  Austin?  You must be hanging around different parts than me.  And I've lived all over this city.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Of course.  I have felt it in numerous cities all over the world.  Vidor, Beaumont, Orange, parts of Dallas, just in Texas.  Also, Toronto, Nashville, St. Louis, and a host of others.  Austin?  You must be hanging around different parts than me.  And I've lived all over this city.

The only two places I've felt it strongly in Texas was Highland Park and Austin.

Are you seriously telling me you've never noticed that you were the only non-white in parts of Austin?

33 minutes ago, F250 said:

I’ve lived here 19 years and am not white. I honestly have never felt uncomfortable out and about. At the same time, I don’t allow myself to feel like a victim and that I’m being looked down upon. I just go and hang out and have a good time or if it s a professional setting, I don’t pay attention to it. 

1 hour ago, F250 said:

The only two places I've felt it strongly in Texas was Highland Park and Austin.

Are you seriously telling me you've never noticed that you were the only non-white in parts of Austin?

I think maybe I am misunderstanding you.  Was your contention that Austin gives a "get out" vibe to non-whites?  Or is it that there are parts of Austin that are minority heavy that have a "get out" vibe to white people?

7 minutes ago, F250 said:

Man, you bringing this up is uncanny, and made me chuckle.

Last night, I was coming back in to town kind of late, a colleague was driving.  My family wanted dinner, I suggested he drop me off someplace convenient where we could link up for Mexican food.  That place ended up being Maudie's on Lake Austin.  On a Friday night.  When the Dell Match Play golf tourney is in town.

Holy shit.  That restaurant, at that moment, may have been a singularity of "Get Out" white people.  Between the local W. Austin pretty people (standard to that location), and the out-of-town golf fans....holy shit.  The table next to us was 10 perfectly Highland Park golf enthusiasts - all in their 30s-40s, some wearing really nice HP golf gear, most of the women enhanced in multiple ways.   And they were shithammered on chardonnay, ritas, and tequila shots -- and were loud as shit, acting the way any number of my UT pals and I might have.....25 years ago.  My wife and I, and both of our kids, couldn't stop laughing at them.  It was as stereotypical as it gets.  The dynamic there was one of the whitest experiences I've ever had -- and I'm quite familiar with that Maudie's and its typical crowd.  This was a whole 'nother level.

And yes, this town is and has been segregated as hell forever.  Its "progressive" bona fides are REALLY easy when you just pretend that black people and Mexicans don't exist, and happily push laws and regulations (often in the name of "our precious environment - and SAVE BARTON SPRINGS!") that have the effect of excluding anyone who doesn't have $500k+ to drop on a house, or a job training center, etc.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think maybe I am misunderstanding you.  Was your contention that Austin gives a "get out" vibe to non-whites?  Or is it that there are parts of Austin that are minority heavy that have a "get out" vibe to white people?

You've never been to the Decker Lake Club?

18036969_15.jpg?v=8D0B694F9CE45A0

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

And yes, this town is and has been segregated as hell forever.  Its "progressive" bona fides are REALLY easy when you just pretend that black people and Mexicans don't exist, and happily push laws and regulations (often in the name of "our precious environment - and SAVE BARTON SPRINGS!") that have the effect of excluding anyone who doesn't have $500k+ to drop on a house, or a job training center, etc.

Man, I guess I'm just not 1% enough in Austin to have experienced this.  I grew up in Northwest Hills (super white and well-to-do), but I have lived all over the city and have never been in a situation that felt unwelcoming to anyone.  Maybe I'm just naive?

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Man, I guess I'm just not 1% enough in Austin to have experienced this.  I grew up in Northwest Hills (super white and well-to-do), but I have lived all over the city and have never been in a situation that felt unwelcoming to anyone.  Maybe I'm just naive?

Well, I wouldn't call it unwelcoming (I mean, their behavior was rude and unpleasant, but it's not like any of us haven't sat next to an obnoxious table before).  It's more just a clueless exclusivity.  

I live in NW Hills today.  And other than an influx of asian and south asian folks....it's still pretty damned white.  It's not that it''s hostile.  It's that it's so conspicuously white.  Really, it's something of the analog of walking into a grocery in an area that's mostly african american or hispanic -- folks aren't going to be hostile, they're probably even going to be cordial, pleasant, and welcoming to the extent that you interact with them.  But you're going to have a feeling that you are in THEIR place, and you don't fit there.

Austin has long had that feel for non-white folks.  Again, NOT hostile.  Just....man, this is a white place, and you aren't.

On 3/29/2019 at 8:00 AM, bad_teammate said:

Beto's Big Day is tomorrow.

I'm setting the O/U in downtown Austin attendance tomorrow night at 60k.

White people with socially liberal tendencies and money are gagging for this guy and Austin is the undisputed Mecca for that in the entire South/Southwest. They will show for their boy.

- Helicopter shots of crowds up and down Congress and 9th.

- The Texas Capitol behind him and crowds in Congress in front of him will create the visual image of him swearing in at the US Capitol and crowds on the National Mall.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, I wouldn't call it unwelcoming (I mean, their behavior was rude and unpleasant, but it's not like any of us haven't sat next to an obnoxious table before).  It's more just a clueless exclusivity.  

I live in NW Hills today.  And other than an influx of asian and south asian folks....it's still pretty damned white.  It's not that it''s hostile.  It's that it's so conspicuously white.  Really, it's something of the analog of walking into a grocery in an area that's mostly african american or hispanic -- folks aren't going to be hostile, they're probably even going to be cordial, pleasant, and welcoming to the extent that you interact with them.  But you're going to have a feeling that you are in THEIR place, and you don't fit there.

Austin has long had that feel for non-white folks.  Again, NOT hostile.  Just....man, this is a white place, and you aren't.

Fair, but if the argument is these places have a "GET OUT" vibe, it's just something I haven't experienced and I find it contrary to the spirit of Austin that I grew up with and am accustomed to.

all i know is, any given day at Far West HEB i see/hear families from at least 4-5 different countries, some african, middle eastern, asian, eastern european, not to mention Spanish. 

i've always felt like i lived in a nicely diverse community in 78757.

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

all i know is, any given day at Far West HEB i see/hear families from at least 4-5 different countries, some african, middle eastern, asian, eastern european, not to mention Spanish. 

i've always felt like i lived in a nicely diverse community in 78757.

They are all scared as shit though, from what the others on this thread are saying.

15 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

It gives off a "get out" vibe to non-whites. I'm not saying it's intentional but if you are a minority and not used to being the only non-white person in the place it can be uncomfortable because you start wondering why there are no other minorities around.

I feel that way in lake Travis yet I’ve had no problems whatsoever. It’s just so goddamned straight and gender conforming.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This man gets it but like myself he is the product of Spanish colonialism.

Ok I see what y'all are saying on some level, but I guess, what would be the solution?  Every time a non-white person walks in to Torchy's or McDonalds or wherever the fuck in Austin, am I supposed to give them a high five?  I mean, I tend to just treat people as human beings no matter their race/gender/age/etc.  

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Ok I see what y'all are saying on some level, but I guess, what would be the solution?  Every time a non-white person walks in to Torchy's or McDonalds or wherever the fuck in Austin, am I supposed to give them a high five?  I mean, I tend to just treat people as human beings no matter their race/gender/age/etc.  

1: Stop being defensive for no reason. It's not about you as a person.

2: No one is asking you to do anything about it.

It’s not an indictment of white people or anyone else. Walk into El Rancho market as a white guy, and you’ll feel out of place. People won’t be rude to you - they’ll interact as need be, maybe even be friendly. You’ll just know you ain’t in a white people grocery store.

Austin isn’t segregated like “I’ll be damned if you let brown/Black people infect our community.” But, interestingly, that’s how it started (austin was very purposefully, and effectively, segregated back in the day). Now, people move into those communities decades later, and they just still are that way.

Oh, and I love my Far West HEB, but it really isn’t that diverse. There’s some, but it almost all comes from the apartments along Greystone. You want an awesomely diverse HEB? Hit up the Lamar and Rundberg store. I’ve heard half a dozen languages on one trip.

The point here isn’t that white folks in Austin are racist. They really aren’t, at least not more than most folks are (everyone has a baseline of some racism, it’s how we’re wired). What they are is lacking in self-awareness. It’s easy to say “I’m not racist!” when maybe 5% of the people you see and deal with are of a different race. Understand that you live in a lily-white community, and you don’t have a diverse perspective. Again, it often reminds me of the apocryphal tales after the 2000 election of upscale white voters in NYC - “how could Bush have won? I don’t know ANYONE who voted for him!”

49 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Man, you bringing this up is uncanny, and made me chuckle.

Last night, I was coming back in to town kind of late, a colleague was driving.  My family wanted dinner, I suggested he drop me off someplace convenient where we could link up for Mexican food.  That place ended up being Maudie's on Lake Austin.  On a Friday night.  When the Dell Match Play golf tourney is in town.

Holy shit.  That restaurant, at that moment, may have been a singularity of "Get Out" white people.  Between the local W. Austin pretty people (standard to that location), and the out-of-town golf fans....holy shit.  The table next to us was 10 perfectly Highland Park golf enthusiasts - all in their 30s-40s, some wearing really nice HP golf gear, most of the women enhanced in multiple ways.   And they were shithammered on chardonnay, ritas, and tequila shots -- and were loud as shit, acting the way any number of my UT pals and I might have.....25 years ago.  My wife and I, and both of our kids, couldn't stop laughing at them.  It was as stereotypical as it gets.  The dynamic there was one of the whitest experiences I've ever had -- and I'm quite familiar with that Maudie's and its typical crowd.  This was a whole 'nother level.

1.) Maudie's sucks. Fite me irl.

2.) Pics of enhancements?

• Like 2

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Verdad. It’s just regular Tex mex. Its selling point last night was its location. And my need for a couple of cold beverages.

I know that feels. Took the kids to Flores here in Lakeway the other day just cause it was easy and I wanted a tequila drink.  I was too lazy to drive to Maudies in BC, and frankly would have pulled over at La Salsas before I made it that far. Kids whine about Santa Catarina, but it es el superior out this way. 

• Like 2

Beto brings some legit skills. He connects with youth and has shown ability to work across party lines. He's a negotiator interested in the greater good and his worst skeletons have been exposed. I don't see him as POTUS, but he's a legit veep or cabinet member.

Edited by RPM
speeling erors

Wait, did this guy just seriously make people wait an hour and a half to give a 25 minute speech?

It's Austin. Waiting is the main attraction. It's what we do - wait in line. Half the crowd probably didn't know there was a speech. Just saw the crowd and figured they'd join and be trendy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

It’s not an indictment of white people or anyone else. Walk into El Rancho market as a white guy, and you’ll feel out of place. People won’t be rude to you - they’ll interact as need be, maybe even be friendly. You’ll just know you ain’t in a white people grocery store.

Austin isn’t segregated like “I’ll be damned if you let brown/Black people infect our community.” But, interestingly, that’s how it started (austin was very purposefully, and effectively, segregated back in the day). Now, people move into those communities decades later, and they just still are that way.

Oh, and I love my Far West HEB, but it really isn’t that diverse. There’s some, but it almost all comes from the apartments along Greystone. You want an awesomely diverse HEB? Hit up the Lamar and Rundberg store. I’ve heard half a dozen languages on one trip.

The point here isn’t that white folks in Austin are racist. They really aren’t, at least not more than most folks are (everyone has a baseline of some racism, it’s how we’re wired). What they are is lacking in self-awareness. It’s easy to say “I’m not racist!” when maybe 5% of the people you see and deal with are of a different race. Understand that you live in a lily-white community, and you don’t have a diverse perspective. Again, it often reminds me of the apocryphal tales after the 2000 election of upscale white voters in NYC - “how could Bush have won? I don’t know ANYONE who voted for him!”

I went to El Rancho today and the butcher lady there gave me the side eye till I ordered in Spanish

The non white person in Jack Allen’s is almost always wearing a golf shirt.

I have had that “get out” feeling when I first moved into my neighborhood, but I think that was mostly white guilt/don’t want to be a gentrifier but not as much as I don’t want to not own a home.

8 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

D29TUN3X4AEV4-g.jpg:large

Keep Austin Weird

A whole lot of beige in that crowd.

I won't deny that Austin is segregated but I will argue that it's mostly based on income. If you live in NW Hills, that was your decision to not live among the middle class.

For my part, I live in 78745 (Baja South Austin, if you will) and interact with folks from a wide variety of backgrounds on a daily basis. Hell, my neighborhood was once a Freeman's Colony and, as a result, there's a pretty healthy Black population around here.

And I don't live in a ghetto. According to Travis CAD, I'm the single occupant of a $350,000 home while one block over there are multiple brand new $750,000 green energy homes with driveways full of Teslas.

Someone mentioned the Census's American Fact Finder earlier. According to the Census, Austin was 48.6% Anglo and 34.5% Hispanic in 2017 (also, 7% Black and 7% Asian). I'd argue that isn't exactly "lily white" from a factual basis.

Moreover, I've decided to start riding the bus downtown to avoid the hassle of commuting and can tell anyone willing to listen that my white ass bumps up against a very diverse population on a daily basis.

If you live in Austin and are under the misguided belief that this town is "lily white," you're doing it wrong and are only self-selecting by income to avoid living next to middle class "poors" such as myself.

Edited by bolverk
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Austin Diversity Talk Not Going Away

(Houston had a bigger, more diverse crowd. Austin loses again. Eat shit, hippies.)

Houston is arguably the most diverse city in America but that doesn't mean Austin is "lily white."

A whole lot of beige in that crowd.

I won't deny that Austin is segregated but I will argue that it's mostly based on income. If you live in NW Hills, that was your decision to not live among the middle class.

For my part, I live in 78745 (Baja South Austin, if you will) and interact with folks from a wide variety of backgrounds on a daily basis. Hell, my neighborhood was once a Freeman's Colony and, as a result, there's a pretty healthy Black population around here.

And I don't live in a ghetto. According to Travis CAD, I'm the single occupant of a $350,000 home while one block over there are multiple brand new $750,000 green energy homes with driveways full of Teslas.

Someone mentioned the Census's American Fact Finder earlier. According to the Census, Austin was 48.6% Anglo and 34.5% Hispanic in 2017 (also, 7% Black and 7% Asian). I'd argue that isn't exactly "lily white" from a factual basis.

Moreover, I've decided to start riding the bus downtown to avoid the hassle of commuting and can tell anyone willing to listen that my white ass bumps up against a very diverse population on a daily basis.

If you live in Austin and are under the misguided belief that this town is "lily white," you're doing it wrong and are only self-selecting by income to avoid living next to middle class "poors" such as myself.

It's America. Further, it's Texas. Segregation by income largely overlaps with racial segregation. Of course there aren't giant "Whites Only" signs in Central Austin neighborhoods, but a huge majority of the people that can afford to live there are white. The whole "Get Out" feeling thing is highly individualized and obviously varies from person to person. But it's easy to see how someone could feel that way.

Edit: And yes, the white liberals in Cerebral Austin have made it pretty clear through their voting record on local issues that they don't want to live near poor people. As it were, poor in our city are mostly non-white. Call it income-based if you want but the reality is that it reinforces racial segregation.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk