Beto 2020

bad_teammate

The lack of charity is a bigger issue to me.

That said - it’s par for the course on ordinary tax return disclosure. Lying about the source of your wealth or hiding RICO violations and bankruptcies by not disclosing tax returns is an entirely different matter.

• Like 2

Does he currently owe? If so not cool if not so what?
Even if he owes because of mistake he was previously unaware of , just pay it and move on. We're allowed to make a mistake on our taxes because we relied on software that was outdated. Meanwhile, we have a criminal sitting in the oval office. Let's have some perspective.
  • Like 2

Even if he owes because of mistake he was previously unaware of , just pay it and move on. We're allowed to make a mistake on our taxes because we relied on software that was outdated. Meanwhile, we have a criminal sitting in the oval office. Let's have some perspective.

I don’t see where we disagree. Yes if it just came up then pay and move on. If he was aware but didn’t pay and hasn’t paid a bigger issue but as I said above... trumps tax return issues are much more sinister I believe.

We are a few decades away from climatic catastrophe, inequality is at an all time high, and we are stuck in a pattern of endless war, but I'm glad the shitlibs have centered what is clearly the important issue this election - which candidate has the best looking tax return.  

Edited by Fozzz

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

Tax returns don't show how much you give, they show how much you claim.

Owen Wilson in the Royal Tennenbams voice: “a lot of wealthy people claim either the greater of the standard deduction or what they actually gave to charity.  What this tax return presupposes is, what if they didn’t do either?” 

Edited by Lobo

11 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Not really.

This is so stupid. Who cares? This shit doesn't matter. It isn't important, but here it fucking is.

A completely 100% self-inflicted wound by Democrats for NOTHING.

We are so fucking stupid that we open our own people up for this kind of microscopic analysis and our opponents will never reciprocate.

I wish these people had never released their tax returns. This is bullshit.

disagree.  i think releasing your tax returns should be mandatory for federal office, and i'm glad the democratic party is taking the high road here.  

it's up to the voters to decide if these are mountains or molehills.  if they want to weed a candidate out for their finances, fine.  if claiming to be a minority when you aren't is a big deal for you, don't vote for her.   the bottomline is there can only be one candidate chosen to run against the trumpster.  may the best person win.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Owen Wilson in the Royal Tennenbams voice: “a lot of wealthy people claim either the greater of the standard deduction or what they actually gave to charity.  What this tax return presupposes is, what if they didn’t do either?” 

lol I'm trying to be nice to Beto here guys, work with me!

Yep, happens about this time every four years and goes both ways.  So you’d think the beam counters for Bernie and Beto and everyone else would have accounted for that.   Aggregate dollars are still king.  But number of donors is quickly becoming almost as relevant. 

You fucking fuck, Beto.
This, after I defend your taxes and DWI and shitposting!? YOU DO THIS TO ME!? YOU DO THIS TO MY GRANDFATHER!?

Bahaha

I was dismissed by posters when this was speculated early on.

Bahahaha, we love you Beto but you aren’t ready to be president. Trying helping turn a few Texas seats blue.

I find it hard to criticize Beto for his monetary charitable donations when he's worked his ass off the last two years engaging voters all over the state and now across the country.  He has his flaws, but his heart is in the right place.   

Not speaking to anyone specifically on here, but Ds need to lighten the fuck up. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I find it hard to criticize Beto for his monetary charitable donations when he's worked his ass off the last two years engaging voters all over the state and now across the country.  He has his flaws, but his heart is in the right place.   

Not speaking to anyone specifically on here, but Ds need to lighten the fuck up. 

To be fair, Beto was earning a decent salary from a "no show" job in DC during that same two-year time period.  His living/travel expenses were being financed by his generous campaign donors.  Further, his entire 10 year history of charitable donations is weak and not very defensible.  Not a good look for a multi-millionaire.  Not ready for prime-time.

they won't look anything like trump's "pre-written" speeches*, but the transcripts of some of beto's rally speeches won't look great when printed out like that (donation subject aside).

*there's a great video of trump transcripts on the late night political talk shows thread

sucks for him, but there are 19 candidates, and the press will look for anything they can latch onto.

"rich wife, public life, why isn't he giving more?"  it's not outlandish to ask.

if he makes it through to the important primaries, none of the small shit should matter anyway.  

I liked reading this from his fb page...

“Let us not just end the prohibition of marijuana and expunge the records of those arrested solely for possession but let us also end cash bail, prisons for profit, mandatory minimums, and the schoolhouse to jailhouse pipeline.”

• Like 4

It's awesome that that has become one of the mandatory planks of progressive candidacy. It's amazing how quickly things move sometimes. Just imagine back to 2000 and Al Gore advocating single-payer universal healthcare, marijuana decriminalization, felon/imprisoned voting rights, fuller LGBT protections with senators flying trans flags outside their offices, and restoration of relations with Cuba.

No wonder the Republicans have gone insane. lol

• Like 3

While I think it’s a valid question regarding Beto’s charity, I also laugh at the idea that it should have any affect on his candidacy for President.  I mean it’s not like he was caught on tape telling a reporter to grab em by the pussy.

• Like 3

I don't have an issue with how much he donated. And I thought his answer was sufficient and honest. 

I also don't have an issue with how much Bernie made or any other Democrat who has released their taxes. My only requirements are that the candidates release their taxes and those records do not show that they are compromised by a foreign power. 

Edited by Longhorn94
  • Like 2

I don't think it's a valid question. A man's charity is his own business and none of ours. It doesn't mean anything regarding his suitability to be president.

I'm alone on this island, I know, but this tax return witch hunt is fake news, very sad, bigly.

• Like 1

You aren’t on an island. I think it’s a non-issue... all of this tax return stuff is sub 1.0 on a political Richter scale. I agree the issue is compromise with foreign powers but also domestic special interests. Al Gore has that issue with Occidental Petroleum and solved it with a blind trust. Most candidates do that and it’s fine. The tax return is more about making sure the candidate can be independent and if issues arise how to adjust to ensure independence. The rest is nonsense.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I don't think it's a valid question. A man's charity is his own business and none of ours. It doesn't mean anything regarding his suitability to be president.

I'm alone on this island, I know, but this tax return witch hunt is fake news, very sad, bigly.

I agree that a man’s charity is private business.  This question however was posed in the context of why is it a person whom made much much less donated more than Beto.  The reason it’s valid in this context is because of Beto’s political positions.  When you step into that arena you voluntarily excuse yourself of some of the normal privacy claims a private citizen might invoke.

2 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

The reason it’s valid in this context is because of Beto’s political positions.

What political position is relevant here? Did I miss the "Donate 5% of your income or go to jail" plank on Beto's platform?

When you step into that arena you voluntarily excuse yourself of some of the normal privacy claims a private citizen might invoke.

Good point.

Tulsi.... where them nudes at?

Edited by bad_teammate

Beto and Pete are on very different paths right now and it's going to be interesting to see how it goes.

Beto is ignoring basically all TV/podcast/radio interview requests and instead choosing to do tons and tons of smaller, town-hall style venues where he talks to voters and answers questions. Straight-up retail politics.

Pete is saying yes to everything media-wise and not doing nearly as many of the flesh-pressing events Beto is. Celebrity/media politics.

The way we consume information about the process  shapes our perception of overall candidate strength, and Beto might be stronger than we think and Pete may not be as strong as we think.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

20 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Beto and Pete are on very different paths right now and it's going to be interesting to see how it goes.

Beto is ignoring basically all TV/podcast/radio interview requests and instead choosing to do tons and tons of smaller, town-hall style venues where he talks to voters and answers questions. Straight-up retail politics.

Pete is saying yes to everything media-wise and not doing nearly as many of the flesh-pressing events Beto is. Celebrity/media politics.

The way we consume information about the process  shapes our perception of overall candidate strength, and Beto might be stronger than we think and Pete may not be as strong as we think.

Pete was a nobody 6 weeks ago. I think his campaign strategy has been working out just fine so far. And you know he'll adapt as necessary.  He's been all over Iowa the last couple of days. 

Both he and Beto are working their asses off.