Beto 2020

bad_teammate

More information about Beto's fundraising machine.

Louis Susman, former U.S. ambassador to the U.K. and a lead bundler for Barack Obama’s first presidential campaign, has been speaking with political financiers from across the country, including those in the financial industry, to see if they will invest in O’Rourke’s campaign, according to people with direct knowledge of the outreach.

The former Obama backer has put together a string of senior party donors who are willing to contribute to the former congressman’s presidential operation, said the people, who declined to be named due to the conversations being deemed private.

Kamala's average donation was $38

Bernie's average donation was $27

If Beto's huge Day 1 number was contingent on getting a bunch of big donations/bundler contributions, there are a couple of problems...

- It goes against the direction and spirit of the Dems overall campaign finance movement if big donors and bundlers get special access to the candidate and get jobs in the administration

- Individuals can only donate $2800 to the primary campaign, so if Beto got a bunch of people already maxed out, he can't count on them for future donations (unless he starts going with PACs/SuperPACs) (reference: only 20 (out of 360k total donors) of Bernie's donors gave the $2800 max in his first few days)

Just gave $100 more and signed up for just about every volunteer opportunity on his website.

Done with Ohio and heading to Pennsylvania tomorrow.

I hope he’s taking B-12 or something. I can’t imagine keeping this kind of pace for almost 3 years (adding in the senate race).
  • Like 1

I made a polite twitter reply to a Texas reporter about Bernie’s shot at Beto probably having fewer donors than him. Didn’t think much of it and had over 100 notifications when I checked back in a few hours. Bernie bros seem really angry and ready to attack any supporter of another candidate. Not the ones on here, but many on twitter strike me as the type that will sit it out in the general when Bernie’s not the nominee. Also, twitter sucks.

I made a polite twitter reply to a Texas reporter about Bernie’s shot at Beto probably having fewer donors than him. Didn’t think much of it and had over 100 notifications when I checked back in a few hours. Bernie bros seem really angry and ready to attack any supporter of another candidate. Not the ones on here, but many on twitter strike me as the type that will sit it out in the general when Bernie’s not the nominee. Also, twitter sucks.
lol owned
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:
39 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

lol owned

Ok cool, hook em

• Like 1

More information about Beto's fundraising machine.
contributions, there are a couple of problems...
- It goes against the direction and spirit of the Dems overall campaign finance movement if big donors and bundlers get special access to the candidate and get jobs in the administration
- Individuals can only donate $2800 to the primary campaign, so if Beto got a bunch of people already maxed out, he can't count on them for future donations (unless he starts going with PACs/SuperPACs) (reference: only 20 (out of 360k total donors) of Bernie's donors gave the $2800 max in his first few days)
All of this will come out eventually, why would they risk it? He has enough going for him.

To your second point on the well drying up. Do you really believe that? Beto may or may not be the nominee but he's not going to be out fundraised. In the same way that Beto brings in new volunteers and voters,he brings in new donors. At every level. 45% of his Senate haul came from
It's great for Beto,the democratic party, and politics. But then, you seem scared. What's going on?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

More information about Beto's fundraising machine. contributions, there are a couple of problems...

Tapa weirdly cut off my first response. Trying again. 

All of this will come out eventually, why would they risk it? He has enough going for him. That tweet cites a story about a bundler guaging support for Beto and then infers that his 24 hour haul came from bundling. The bundler raised $500,000 k for Obama. For an entire presidential race. For Obama. You think he just grouptexts people and $6.1 million shows up?

To your second point on the well drying up. Do you really believe that? Beto may or may not be the nominee but he's not going to be out fundraised. In the same way that Beto brings in new volunteers and voters,he brings in new donors. At every level. 45% of his Senate haul came from small donors. My wife and I gave him $400. We previously had never given more than $50 to any candidate. Then you have people like Troph, hosting big $ fundraisers who are also new to it. He's a machine.

And it's great for Beto,the democratic party, and politics. But then, you seem scared. What's going on?

PS. Going to love it when Beto drops his average and total donors in a couple days. See Nate Silver tweet earlier, he's learned to play the media.

The sliding scale "how liberal are they!?" game is more pundit nonsense. Yet another way to not have to do any actual work and think about problems and policy. And, of course, yet another way for establishment power to anchor itself as the center and anyone who strays from establishment orthodoxy as a radical.

6 hours ago, horncyclist said:

All of this will come out eventually, why would they risk it? He has enough going for him. That tweet cites a story about a bundler guaging support for Beto and then infers that his 24 hour haul came from bundling. The bundler raised $500,000 k for Obama. For an entire presidential race. For Obama. You think he just grouptexts people and $6.1 million shows up?

I don't know what happened, which is why the English language contains qualifiers like "if". I don't know what happened, because Beto didn't tell us.

To your second point on the well drying up. Do you really believe that? Beto may or may not be the nominee but he's not going to be out fundraised. In the same way that Beto brings in new volunteers and voters,he brings in new donors. At every level. 45% of his Senate haul came from small donors. My wife and I gave him $400. We previously had never given more than $50 to any candidate. Then you have people like Troph, hosting big $ fundraisers who are also new to it. He's a machine.

When did I say that the well was drying up? Why are you so melodramatic?

All I said, rightly, was that if people maxed out on Day 1 he can't get any more money from them for the primary and that's a problem. Which it is.

The 2020 primary race between Democrats is not the same thing as the 2018 race against Ted Cruz. It's absolutely true that Beto carries some momentum and has a very fresh and very eager donor network, but he is now in (1) a much larger race and (2) a divided loyalty situation with regard to supporters.

The numbers over time will tell us what's happening.

And it's great for Beto,the democratic party, and politics. But then, you seem scared. What's going on?

Scared? Jesus, calm down.

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I don't mean this as a dig on Beto, but have there been many unemployed candidates running for President? I'm just thinking of the fact that he could literally be on the campaign trail everyday, which could be beneficial. It's an unusual situation.

One of the many, many, many unspoken benefits of wealthy male privilege.

Can't leave the kids at home if you're a woman.
Can't go a'searchin' for 3 years if you aren't rich.

The sliding scale "how liberal are they!?" game is more pundit nonsense. Yet another way to not have to do any actual work and think about problems and policy. And, of course, yet another way for establishment power to anchor itself as the center and anyone who strays from establishment orthodoxy as a radical.

Scared? Jesus, calm down.

You pushed a false narrative based on a misleading tweet and then threw up your hands when I called you out on it. That tweet was classic fake news (as opposed to Trump fake news which we all know is real reporting, usually of Trump being a fuck up.) I'm just having trouble understanding your angle.

Edit: meant to reply to your response to me.

One might say he approaches the policy issues like a negotiation:  he's trying to find out where the agreement space is.  The rationale is that there is point to establishing red lines and such outside of that space.  It's unconventional for a politician, perhaps chicken shit and shallow, but it's rational.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NBMisha said:

One might say he approaches the policy issues like a negotiation:  he's trying to find out where the agreement space is.  The rationale is that there is point to establishing red lines and such outside of that space.  It's unconventional for a politician, perhaps chicken shit and shallow, but it's rational.

Yeah I don't see the issue with him trying to understand the wants and needs of his constituents and using that feedback to help shape his platform. That's sort of the point of representative democracy. I think it's a move that's going to play much better outside of Twitter/message boards than it does with the very online heavily invested types. 

Beto is clearly not playing for that group (the "very online"). He's not trying to capture the angry vote. I think the group he's vying for is a bigger group than the one he's not - and it's a more winnable group. Most of the angry group is already behind someone - usually Bernie.

I think the strategy is viable. Problem is that Biden seems to be going after the same group. They're going to vulture each other to some extent.

And I'm certainly not denying that it'd be nice to see Beto start to flesh out some positions on things. I think it was a mistake to not have at least the bones of a platform built before announcing. The hell has he been doing for the last 18 months?

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 2

yeah but when Biden announces the negative energy will be split as well. i feel like we need a dual primary or ranked choice or something (here is where I show my ignorance of how the primary process works in selecting the final candidate) - Warren/Sanders/others in that lane will have the same problem of getting the same support.

Edited by Celery Man

12 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

yeah but when Biden announces the negative energy will be split as well. i feel like we need a dual primary or ranked choice or something (here is where I show my ignorance of how the primary process works in selecting the final candidate) - Warren/Sanders/others in that lane will have the same problem of getting the same support.

Agreed, but I think it's likely that Warren and your "others" will drop out relatively early, whereas Beto and Biden are both strong contenders. Biden is probably in it the whole way, and Beto is going to be in it well into March and probably longer. The Warren voters will likely move to Bernie. I can see a scenario where the final three standing are Sanders, Biden, and Beto (or Harris), and the latter two on that list vulture each other, allowing Bernie to win the nomination. Something like 40/30/30 with the 40 percent being Bernie. This is the most frightening scenario for me, as I believe Sanders and Warren are the two candidates most likely to lose to Trump. 

And that opens up a whole new can of worms where someone has a plurality but not a majority. If Bernie had the most delegates but not enough to win the nomination, and they went with someone else at the DNC, the Bernie voters would (rightfully) be furious and it probably hands the election to Trump. I hope for all of our sakes that the non-starter candidates clear out early when it's obvious they can't win.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I don't mean this as a dig on Beto, but have there been many unemployed candidates running for President? I'm just thinking of the fact that he could literally be on the campaign trail everyday, which could be beneficial. It's an unusual situation. 

Well, most candidates are Senators who rarely show up at work, or "businessmen" who do little more than watch TV, tweet, and sign their name to things.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Agreed, but I think it's likely that Warren and your "others" will drop out relatively early, whereas Beto and Biden are both strong contenders. Biden is probably in it the whole way, and Beto is going to be in it well into March and probably longer. The Warren voters will likely move to Bernie. I can see a scenario where the final three standing are Sanders, Biden, and Beto (or Harris), and the latter two on that list vulture each other, allowing Bernie to win the nomination. Something like 40/30/30 with the 40 percent being Bernie. This is the most frightening scenario for me, as I believe Sanders and Warren are the two candidates most likely to lose to Trump. 

And that opens up a whole new can of worms where someone has a plurality but not a majority. If Bernie had the most delegates but not enough to win the nomination, and they went with someone else at the DNC, the Bernie voters would (rightfully) be furious and it probably hands the election to Trump. I hope for all of our sakes that the non-starter candidates clear out early when it's obvious they can't win.

So the party of diversity is going to have 3 white males as the last 3 standing, 2 of them over 100 years old.  Sadly, you're probably right though.

I really wish Bernie would pick an heir and drop out.  Either Buttigieg or Yang come pretty close to Bernie's ideals.

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Such garbage that Warren should drop out early.

Smartest candidate in the room.  Probably the best ideas too.  

If she's pulling 7% (what she's polling at now) of the votes in the early primaries, she needs to get out. The same goes for any candidate in the race. It's not specific to Warren. If her numbers get better and she shows to be viable, great. If not, GTFO. 

Edited by BradInATX

5 minutes ago, alincoln said:

She certainly won't pull out before Iowa and likely NH.  Nor should she.

Agreed. March 3 (TX, MA, CA and a bunch of others) is sort of the date I'm hoping to see as the cut-off date for non-viable candidates. By then the home states of Beto, Harris, Warren, Sanders will have voted, as well as a very diverse cut of 15 states. At that point you'd hope to see anyone with <10% of delegates drop out because it's not going to happen. That goes for Warren or whoever I end up backing or anyone. I think it's pretty important that we have a winner with a majority. A brokered convention could cripple an already splintered party.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NBMisha said:

Sounds awesome.

180604162740-03-howard-schultz-starbucks

"Uh, having ideas, beliefs, and vision is bad, actually."

• Like 3

His nickname should be Play Doh Beto. Voters get to mold him into what they want!

*Spine not included.

random thoughts based on the last day of posts:

- I do think Beto could struggle in the upper midwest based on his border/immigration stance.  Whoever mentioned that, kudos for making me think.

- I think his social media schtick is irrelevant but a lot of people eat that shit up.  his whataburger and skateboarding viral videos were pure gold and so he's going to continue doing the burger and ice cream for breakfast shots until his done because the next viral one will have him surge in the polls.

- male privilege, crud I have so much to say here.  I'll just say this on the negative - can you imagine a woman streaming her entire mundane life on the campaign trail?  eating salads, struggling with a wardrobe choice, hair stylists, "fuck I'm out of foundation, quick campaign aid number 2 go get me some." or whatever.  or the opposite, a woman downing a cheeseburger and fries at 10pm at a campus haunt.  that shit wouldn't fly at all.  #attentionwhore #notladylike

- male privilege on the positive side - look here's the deal, the patriarchy is here and it ain't going nowhere.  give me a woke white man who can win over a woman who can't or worse over trump.  I don't fully know how I feel about it, but I'm hedging my bets with my support with Beto.  maybe that makes me a sell out.  but I do like Warren and I will support her financially.  I would love to see her win, but I just think she gets handled by Trump.

- but the man needs to stop apologizing - the comment about his wife raising the kids was funny and true. so what.  folks need to calm down.  he's an alright guy.

- Beto will dominate the grassroots and fundraising so he's in it until the end.  I think Sanders and Biden are the only other two we can be certain of and I think both of them are not good for the party.  Sanders has an interesting path to the WH so he could be the guy with his appeal to the upper midwest, but I think both have had their chance and so I'm Beto and Warren and I think he's got the better chance to win.

- I think having a Democrat from Texas would be a breath of fresh air for Texas politics.  I don't think Beto wins Texas but I do think he makes Trump pay attention to Texas.  Plus I've met the guy, like his stance on my personal issues - LGBTQ equality - and I've enjoyed doing my part and think it would be nifty to do my part for a candidate that I've met and who would recognize me if I was at the Whataburger late at night.

• Like 2

It's a bold strategy, Robert.  Let's see if it pays off.

It is original and clever to take the knock on him of being shallow policy-wise, and pivoting that to a strength.  It disarms his critics and opponents to say, "I have an agenda, but more important than my ideas and proposals is what the American people want.  So for the next 18 months, I want to listen to them and let them mold me into the President they need."  Moderates will each that shit up.  It doesn't do much though to out-flank the section of the party that's been critical of him as of late.  

The only flaw in the plan is that voters project onto a candidate what they want, regardless of what the candidate stands for-if anything at all.  This has never been more clearly manifested in the shitshow we have in office now.  He stood for very little and let disgruntled voters cast onto him whatever they wanted to see/hear.  And he was masterful and absorbing it and spitting it back out to them, even to their detriment.  And Beto will be even better at it.  And certainly more honorable.  

Who gets to do the molding? The people closest to him.
Who are the people closest to him? The people who raise the most money for him.
Who are the people raising the most money for him? SHUT UP FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS
I think he's molded by his grassroots movement more than anything. Those were the people closest to him in the Senate campaign. At town hall across Texas. Why are you pushing the narrative that his run for President will be any different? Again, there's a reason he was the first Senate candidate endoersed by End Citizens United who continued to support his Senate run.

Very interesting to me that the farthest left of the Democratic Party wants a  candidate to mansplain policies instead of listening to a diverse group of people that he actually meets with face to face. I go to a lot of trainings on cultural proficiency and the first thing that always gets brought up is the importance of listening. This is especially true if you are a white male.

• Like 1

Larry Spider is correct. Why just the other day I was going sky diving and the instructor (a white male) tried to mansplain to me how the parachute worked instead of listening to me (a woman of color). You better believe I wrote a strongly worded Yelp review once I got out of the hospital. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

The only flaw in the plan is that voters project onto a candidate what they want, regardless of what the candidate stands for-if anything at all.

Yep. It gets you into office where you accomplish basically nothing because you didn't actually build a movement larger than yourself focused on specific goals (see: Obama, Trump).

11 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

Again, there's a reason he was the first Senate candidate endoersed by End Citizens United who continued to support his Senate run.

You've said this multiple times and I was interested in finding out more, so I looked it up.

Beto O'Rourke was not the first Senate candidate endorsed by End Citizens United. lol

They started in 2016 and supported Maggie Hassan, among others.

Beto was just one of many Senate candidates that ECU endorsed in the 2017/8 cycle.

lol you guys are adorable

Just now, Larry T. Spider said:

Very interesting to me that the farthest left of the Democratic Party wants a  candidate to mansplain policies instead of listening to a diverse group of people that he actually meets with face to face.

Beto is the kind of guy who will do a healthcare roundtable in South Carolina with medical professionals and people in the community while his opponents mainline the local hotspot food for social media while talking about how convictions and goals are actually not good.

I can see why you get dunked on on Twitter. Holy moly.

I go to a lot of trainings on cultural proficiency and the first thing that always gets brought up is the importance of listening. This is especially true if you are a white male.

<re-posted image of Howard Schultz>