Texas @ TCU Series

TrashMaster G

3 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

OK, since you're going to be a moron, I'll break it down for you:

We gave away Friday's game, won Saturday, and then gave away today's game.

Worst. Three-game. Sweep. Ever.

You're probably not man enough to apologize for your stupidity, so I'll accept it in absentia.

giphy.gif

Feel like this team is waiting for someone else to make a play rather than stepping up and wanting to make a play. This team is in need for some consistent leaders. 

They’ve beaten tech and split with arky so the ability to win is there but the inconsistency is killing them. One week we can pitch but can’t hit and vice versa the next. Defense is a struggle sometimes too.

All signs of a young, talented team and somehow ppl on here forget this every week. Stop trying to make this team something they aren’t and accept them for who they are. 

• Like 2

Just now, DoneWithit said:

Feel like this team is waiting for someone else to make a play rather than stepping up and wanting to make a play. This team is in need for some consistent leaders. 

They’ve beaten tech and split with arky so the ability to win is there but the inconsistency is killing them. One week we can pitch but can’t hit and vice versa the next. Defense is a struggle sometimes too.

All signs of a young, talented team and somehow ppl on here forget this every week. Stop trying to make this team something they aren’t and accept them for who they are. 

Making it to Omaha last season (and Texas' traditional history as a blue blood) has totally distorted expectations for this year's club, compounded by a tough schedule and big injuries.

Same thing that will happen to the 2019 football team because we won the Sugar Bowl.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Conference remains pretty wide open, still, at least we have two of the tougher/est series behind us.

Yep. 3-3 is not bad against Tech and TCU, it is just disappointing how it happened. Now let's go 5-0 against Incarnate Word, Xavier, and A&M!

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Making it to Omaha last season (and Texas' traditional history as a blue blood) has totally distorted expectations for this year's club, compounded by a tough schedule and big injuries.

Same thing that will happen to the 2019 football team because we won the Sugar Bowl.

Agree. 

1) What were preseason projections for this 2019 team?

2) Without  Hamilton, and DJ what would the preseason projections have been?

As much as I hate losing games like this, it's one of the reasons I love college baseball and ignore MLB.  When people ask me why I like college baseball, I tell em, because no lead is safe.  It's a little more complicated than that, but that's it in a nutshell.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

As much as I hate losing games like this, it's one of the reasons I love college baseball and ignore MLB.  When people ask me why I like college baseball, I tell em, because no lead is safe.  It's a little more complicated than that, but that's it in a nutshell.

true.  the TCU hitters finally showed why they were hitting .300+ in the last 3 innings.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I am an Orioles fan, none of our leads are ever safe...what few leads we have anyway.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Yep. Our team overachieved last year and rather than recognize that, people just ratchet up the expectations. Same thing this year. We've overachieved to get to where we are this season too, but rather than acknowledge that and temper expectations, people just ratchet up the expectations some more. 

I've been saying it all year but people keep pushing back. This team is not that talented, and the talent we do have is extremely young and prone to first-year mistakes. We lost two of our top 4 hitters for the season off of what was already going to be a thin lineup. We have two stud returning pitchers. After that, it's almost all first year pitchers and the other guys, like Fields, just aren't that great.

This team is made up of a 36th ranked 2016 class (Augie's last year), a 97th ranked 2017 (transition class) class, and a 7th ranked class (Pierce's first full class). Pierce has done an incredible job to bring in talent. Almost every player who's contributing at high level on this team, besides Todd and Henley, was brought in by Pierce in the last two years. He was left a program that was not in good shape at all and has done a great job of identifying young talent and finding JUCOs that could contribute right away. 

We're going to have ugly losses because we lost starters at the two most important defensive positions on the team, we have a ton of young guys playing in the field and pitching, and it's college baseball. It happens, especially with such a young team.  This team and coaching staff has done a great job to get where it is, and the same goes for last year.

57 minutes ago, WBT said:

Other than last year they were nothing special

Kacy hit .305 with a .946 OBP, including 12 HRs. That would be far and away our best hitter this year or any of the last years (excluding his brother) but sure.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yep. Our team overachieved last year and rather than recognize that, people just ratchet up the expectations. Same thing this year. We've overachieved to get to where we are this season too, but rather than acknowledge that and temper expectations, people just ratchet up the expectations some more. 

I've been saying it all year but people keep pushing back. This team is not that talented, and the talent we do have is extremely young and prone to first-year mistakes. We lost two of our top 4 hitters for the season off of what was already going to be a thin lineup. We have two stud returning pitchers. After that, it's almost all first year pitchers and the other guys, like Fields, just aren't that great.

This team is made up of a 36th ranked 2016 class, a 97th ranked 2017 class, and a 7th ranked class. Pierce has done an incredible job to bring in talent. Almost every player who's contributing at high level on this team, besides Todd and Henley, was brought in by Pierce in the last two years. He was left a program that was not in good shape at all and has done a great job of identifying young talent and finding JUCOs that could contribute right away. 

We're going to have ugly losses because we lost starters at the two most important defensive positions on the team, we have a ton of young guys playing in the field and pitching, and it's college baseball. It happens, especially with such a young team.  This team and coaching staff has done a great job to get where it is, and the same goes for last year.

Kacy hit .305 with a .946 OBP, including 12 HRs. That would be far and away our best hitter this year or any of the last years (excluding his brother) but sure.

Very solid post.  Out of rep.

28 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This team is made up of a 36th ranked 2016 class (Augie's last year), a 97th ranked 2017 (transition class) class, and a 7th ranked class (Pierce's first full class). Pierce has done an incredible job to bring in talent. Almost every player who's contributing at high level on this team, besides Todd and Henley, was brought in by Pierce in the last two years. He was left a program that was not in good shape at all and has done a great job of identifying young talent and finding JUCOs that could contribute right away. 

Great Post Mack^^^^,

giphy.gif

44 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

946 OBP. damn...seriously., though, kacy and his brother both improved miles in their last year.  they worked hard and it showed. be nice to have Kacy at 1st this year for sure.

Edited by dcar00

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Maybe that is why I am not too terribly upset so far. I am just hoping for something on last year's level not go 52-16 or something crazy. I am really enthusiastic about this team and think they can go far. This season has been a lot of fun.

But yeah they are not going to dominate anybody. But they can sweep LSU and win a series against Texas Tech. That is something. I still think a return trip to Omaha is possible, or even a return trip to the Super Regionals.

Edited by Valmy77

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Maybe that is why I am not too terribly upset so far. I am just hoping for something on last year's level not go 52-16 or something crazy. I am really enthusiastic about this team and think they can go far. This season has been a lot of fun.

But yeah they are not going to dominate anybody. But they can sweep LSU and win a series against Texas Tech. That is something. I still think a return trip to Omaha is possible, or even a return trip to the Super Regionals.

Based on tough B12 schedule, would be great if Horns play well enough to earn the right to host a first round regional......

At this point, I am worried about all our away games/series.  I assume that we'll make the tournament, but our record could be such that we travel for the whole post-season.

Unless our youngsters grow up and "in," which is quite possible, we may have a disappointing season.

Just now, Machinator said:

Let's not diminish what last year's team did. They were roughly .500 in nonconference (aganist another tough schedule, granted) and went on to win the Big 12 and go to Omaha.

Exactly. I am feeling better about this team at this point than I did about last year's team.

Are we ready to write this group off a sure failures? They could have easily won this series and people are talking like we were dominated.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

At this point, I am worried about all our away games/series.  I assume that we'll make the tournament, but our record could be such that we travel for the whole post-season.

Unless our youngsters grow up and "in," which is quite possible, we may have a disappointing season.

Sure. It could go either way.

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Sure. It could go either way.

Haha yeah I guess that is a blinding glimpse of the obvious.  But it does seem that maybe we overachieve at home and pretty severely underachieve on the road.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Well, furk.  Baseball can be a mean sport.  Two fucking mean games for the Horns after starting so well in all 3 games this weekend.

Pierce will get them in shape.  Lots of learning moments to build from, furk.  Tough to watch those last 4 innings.

Edited by zork
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Exactly. I am feeling better about this team at this point than I did about last year's team.

Are we ready to write this group off a sure failures? They could have easily won this series and people are talking like we were dominated.

I'm not writing anyone off. I'm just being realistic about this team's chances.

19 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

But we have already played the best two teams.

With this young Texas team's struggles on the road:

At Baylor, At Okie Lite and BlowU are all potentially tough series to win.  Plus for some weird reason -- shit seems to happen a lot when Horns play At Kansas.

Edited by LTtxfan

45 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Away games will definitely be a challenge and we have to avoid melting down like TCU and Stanford, especially against worse competition, but us finishing top 3 in conference and being like a 2 seed in a regional shouldn’t be considered disappointing.

This is a rebuilding year. All the rational baseball folks (here and elsewhere) recognized that going into the season. Just becuase people upped their expectations after sweeping LSU doesn’t mean such a result should be considered disappointing. And like you said, there’s still plenty of time to get better on the road and host a regional, especially with so many young guys developing in-season.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Fair point in relation to reasonable expectations.

However, I think a regional loss kind of means a disappointing season by Texas standards.

Depends on how we do it. I was not disappointed by the loss out at Long Beach State a couple years ago because we played strong in the Regional. If we played shitty, like we often did in that weird period between 2005 and 2009 that is something different.