2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

I'm not soured on Kyle Tucker yet, but I wouldn't mind if the Astros move him for a quality, controlled SP.  His numbers have generally been good after his awful April but he's still striking out way too much.  I worry the K may be a bigger problem for him to overcome than some have anticipated.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

It is just silly to chase FB/HR% in partial season samples.  Sometimes it can be an indicator of something more meaningful going on.  He had a substantially lower HR/FB% last season when he was a far less effective pitcher - what is there to make of that?  There is a lot of variance in HR/FB rates for pitchers because they don't have much control over what happens when they allow a hitter to put the ball in the air.  There is a reason why it takes 400 FB for a pitcher's HR/FB% to begin to stabilize, and Boyd isn't anywhere near that mark this season.

Plus, aren't most pitchers' HR/FB rates up this year? (Isn't anything having to do with HR up this year?)

1 minute ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Plus, aren't most pitchers' HR/FB rates up this year? (Isn't anything having to do with HR up this year?)

Boyd is at around league average (15.0%) in HR/FB% this season.  League average HR/FB% in 2018 was 12.7%.  

54 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I'm not soured on Kyle Tucker yet, but I wouldn't mind if the Astros move him for a quality, controlled SP.  His numbers have generally been good after his awful April but he's still striking out way too much.  I worry the K may be a bigger problem for him to overcome than some have anticipated.  

Agreed. Tucker may become a good MLB player, but I'm less opposed to moving him in than I was last year. 

With today being the first day of the International signing period, anyone have any insight into targets for the Astros? I have looked for any info and all I see is articles on the last signing class.

edit: Found my own answer.

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-to-sign-dominican-shortstop-prospect-dauri-lorenzo

Edited by Dondrysdale1

Well that lineup isn't complete shit like I expected.  Sucks Yordan isn't out there, but I am good with the lineup as long as White isn't fucking it up.  

Yep
Yuli being able to go and facing a righty (so Brantley and Reddick can start in the OF and keep Jake on the bench for a late inning sub) makes it much more palatable.