2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Astros-insider-How-Carlos-Beltran-helped-to-14068517.php
Carlos Beltran still contributing to the Astros.  Somehow some way I want that guy on our staff.  Someone get Lunhow on line 1.

If I’m the Yankees, I’m like “wtf, dude”

But I’m Team Astros, so “thanks for paying Beltran to give our guys advice”

20 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

Yardon gonna win ROY

Interesting thought. Here are the top-rated AL position-player rookies by Fangraphs WAR:

1. Brandon Lowe, TB - 2.5 WAR, 129 wRC+, 307 PA

2. Dan Vogelbach, SEA - 2.1 WAR, 142 wRC+, 321 PA

3. Yordan Alvarez, HOU - 1.0 WAR, 196 wRC+, 69 PA

So, Yordan is already 3rd despite playing in only 16 games. Lowe has a .381 BABIP and strikes out 34% of the time, so I wonder how he'll be able to keep up his pace. On the other hand, this is probably about who Vogelbach is. Then there's Guerrero, who is currently at 0.2 WAR and a 102 wRC+, but there's no doubt he has the talent to put up big offensive numbers. (There are some pitchers with decent numbers, but none have such eye-popping numbers that they currently seem likely to overtake these guys.)

Yordan definitely has a shot. He obviously won't keep up this pace, but he's got a shot.

Through 86 games:

2017: 58-28, 15.5 up

2018: 55-31, 0.5 up

2019: 54-32, 7.0 up

In 2017, August (11-17) was our swoon. July (13-11) and August (14-12) were the low points of 2018.

If going 15-12 this June is our bad month of 2019, we're sitting pretty.

Edited by Storm the Field

19 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

Maybe I’m crazy but I’d have Reddick on the bench and Alvarez in the line up. Alvarez is one of our 2-3 best hitters right now

Damn shame he can’t play 1B

They said before the series he's not playing in the field

51 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

A preemptive response on why White is playing. You don’t want Straw playing shortstop with Miley, a ground ball pitcher, on the mound.

How many bombs does JV give up tonight at Coors? I put the o/u at 2 1/2

I’m definitely taking the under on JV tonight. Unless he comes in in relief at some point,  which he’s not, and even then I’d still take the under.

Edited by Wishbone

6 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

taking the inside pitch out like that was similar to correa's bomb a few years ago at coors.

Similar but Correa's was a lot more impressive.  It was in way off the plate, almost into the batter box and Correa hit it halfway up into the bleachers.

https://www.mlb.com/video/must-c-correas-long-home-run/c-173651883