2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

24 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

Astros number 25 prospect according to MLB.com had a career high strikeout performance. He was signed in 2015 for $10,000

I haven't really heard of him so I went to look at his game logs. Including this game he has made 5 appearances. In three of the appearances he has pitched a combined 16 innings allowing 0 runs on 3 hits and 4 walks. In the other 2 appearances he has pitched a combined 7.2 innings allowing 11 runs on 11 hits and 5 walks. Also, MLB.com says his fastball tops out at 96 while a Twitter post I saw said he was sitting at 97 tonight. 

We talked about this before the season, but I wonder if Grienke will be available this month, and if the club would have any interest?

Cons: he's old (almost 36) and he's owed a lot of money (I think north of $65 million over next 2 years)

Pros: he's still good (3.20, 3.21, 2.73 ERA in 2017-19; 3.34, 3.44, 3.61 xFIP); if acquired, we'd have 2 full years for him to compliment JV, plus give you a front 3 of J/Cole/Grienke this year; he profiles as a guy that should age fairly well.

AZ is only a game under .500, so not sure if they'd move him...but they're buried in that division, so at best they're playing for a 1-game wild card berth. I'm sure they wouldn't mind getting rid of that salary, and they seem unlikely to challenge the Dodgers in the next couple of seasons (plus, Grienke figures to have declining value over the remainder of the contract). 

Obviously, if AZ wanted top-end prospects, they'd have to eat some of the money. Like, if they wanted Tucker, I'd be open to that, provided that they pay it down some. 

I think the team will be looking for a guy that has some years left to fill the likely vacancy Cole will leave after the season. I ordinarily wouldn't be interested in an older guy like Grienke but we have a window here so it makes some sense. 

57 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I’d rather use that money to re-sign Cole 

Well yeah, but the total dollars you'd spend on Grienke would be less than of half what Cole figures to get. Plus, there's no guarantee you'd even be able to sign Cole on the open market. So the comparison would be:

(1) Grienke at, say, 2.5 years / $70 million, including this year's postseason with Cole, and you lose a few good prospects; or

(2) Let's say a 15% chance of signing Cole as a FA, at maybe 5-6 years and $150+ million (and a very strong chance you don't get him at all). 

Grienke wouldn't make sense for a lot of teams; he would for HOU because (a) we're likely losing Cole; and (b) you have JV and Correa for 2 more years and Springer/Brantley for 1 more year. 

I'm not saying it's likely, just that it does make some sense. Somebody like Stroman is probably more likely to happen though. 

Yep...mentioned before but id rather have Greinke.

I don't want to be locked into Cole for the # of yrs he is gonna get.

Plus I personally don't think he is gonna sign here....I think a team like SD is gonna throw stupid money at him

i think any commitment to a big money sp in a trade (greinke, scherzer, etc) would be tied to the knowledge that we already know what's going to happen with cole.

for better or worse, they likely know already, and so does cole.

personally i would like to resign him.  lmj is coming off tjs.  martin is about to have tjs.  whitley is whitley.  with our offense, we need a strong sp2.

2 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

Schherzer, JV. COLE versus all yall sucks. Let's do it, bacardi and cola, do it so it

I'm not saying it's the best thing to do, I just don't think Luhnow would do that or Greinke without getting a lot of their contracts paid.

14 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Lefty on the mound. Day off before he goes to Cleveland.

He's hitting .333/.408/.460 this year against lefties. 

Hinch drives me nuts by sitting guys when we are already missing key hitters. Especially with multiple days off after tomorrow's game.