Wine

Hollywood

On 10/18/2018 at 7:14 AM, VABuckeye said:

We started in Montalcino.  Here's the aftermath of a wine tasting at La Fortezza in the castle at Montalcino.  It's a fantastic enoteca to do your Brunello tastings.  13 people and 13 tastings so there are a few wine glasses left on the table.

349765-CC-5-E02-4409-B148-18-BB98-A55-F7

This fuckin place.  I ended up spending WAY more on bottles at the end than I intended.  Had a great time.

7p6Crnq-1ZuVbZguAaeJ4MWhZF6YwDarZKU4gO8R

rf7ZCrSNFSN8BIdFryCfvLVLWwDuzYsTZLLvtldI

g0jtLjrp3WHgfqx694P581vO8psF_e-dXKZKhJsp

Anyone do the Wine Spectator New York Wine Experience last weekend?

For the question about storing upright, never do it, regardless of humidity. All good, modern wine cellars control humidity around 80/90%. The cork needs not only the moisture from the air, but also the colloidal solids from the juice to make an effective seal.

When you do a lot of wines in a night like that, how do you decide what order to try them in?

There is no set order. Basically start popping bottles as needed. There is a little discussion amongst the group of what do we open next. Luckily we have a iSomm so we can decant bottles fairly quickly if needed.

Depending on the event, it’s generally best to go from light to heavy in tastings (assuming you are tasting different styles or varietals).

If you hit the heavier wines first you can blow your taste buds for the later wines.

At least that’s been my experience doing tastings.

Also I tend to prefer going older to younger when doing verticals or similar. The older wines tend to be more delicate and nuanced, and you’d miss a lot of that if you started with the young bold wine first.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Depending on the event, it’s generally best to go from light to heavy in tastings (assuming you are tasting different styles or varietals).

If you hit the heavier wines first you can blow your taste buds for the later wines.

At least that’s been my experience doing tastings.

Also I tend to prefer going older to younger when doing verticals or similar. The older wines tend to be more delicate and nuanced, and you’d miss a lot of that if you started with the young bold wine first.

We typically start with champagne, rose, and white wines. Then we move on from there. Usually we have some sort of theme in mind so most of the bottles complement one another.
  • Like 1

You mean like going to the concession stand as a kid and ordering a “Suicide?”

True Story....Last year at a friends birthday dinner the servers ended up making the making the most expensive trash can punch known to man! There were a few decanters on the table and the servers just grabbed and started pouring. The look on the hosts face was priceless. Best damn trash can punch I have ever tasted!

When you do a lot of wines in a night like that, how do you decide what order to try them in?

How it usually works with my friends at my house: I have four or five wines I intend to open and have them lined up by taste profile. Then once we polish those off, it becomes “fuck it, let’s open this one too!! “. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.
  • Like 1

I have had a few arrivals this week.  QUilceda Creek Estate cab, Shafer Hillside Select, Edge Hill (Rudd - Baciaglupi) Chard, and shipping notice from Promontory.  May have to sample some over T-Giving.  

This hits close to home. Opened a 99 SHS Sunday for dinner with my brother who came to town.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

I have had a few arrivals this week.  QUilceda Creek Estate cab, Shafer Hillside Select, Edge Hill (Rudd - Baciaglupi) Chard, and shipping notice from Promontory.  May have to sample some over T-Giving.  

Last 2-3 weeks have been crazy.  Memento Mori, Immortal, Scarecrow M. Etain, Benediction, SHibumi Knoll, Pott, Vineyardist, Kelly Fleming, Peter Michael, and La Pelle,   Still to come: Piper, more Pott (better stuff), Seven Stones, Arkenstone, Mascot, William & Mary, and some library Krupp I was able to get. My receptionist is getting tired of this...

• Like 1

Last 2-3 weeks have been crazy.  Memento Mori, Immortal, Scarecrow M. Etain, Benediction, SHibumi Knoll, Pott, Vineyardist, Kelly Fleming, Peter Michael, and La Pelle,   Still to come: Piper, more Pott (better stuff), Seven Stones, Arkenstone, Mascot, William & Mary, and some library Krupp I was able to get. My receptionist is getting tired of this...
I feel like i spend a lot of money on wine. Clearly I'm an amateur

8 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
11 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Not that bad.  Apart from 3 that are 6-packs and one case,  the rest are 3 packs, and ordered over several months.  It’s just that the shipping all gets concentrated these days

On 11/14/2018 at 11:46 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 11/14/2018 at 9:01 PM, AustinMT said:

Go to Italy. I just had 9 cases shipped back.  Now we’re going to Mendoza in March.  I’m going to either have to build a real wine room or get a couple very large wine fridges. 

Dear wine people, I’ve come from the Bourbon thread in peace. I know nothing about wine other than my wife drinks it because she has to deal with me. 

She loves Malbecs and other Italian reds I can’t pronounce. My wine palate couldn’t identify grape juice. 

Will you recommend me some wines to get her for Christmas. I’d like to keep each bottle under 100 as this would be just a couple bonus presents. But whatever, any recs welcome 

Dear wine people, I’ve come from the Bourbon thread in peace. I know nothing about wine other than my wife drinks it because she has to deal with me. 
She loves Malbecs and other Italian reds I can’t pronounce. My wine palate couldn’t identify grape juice. 
Will you recommend me some wines to get her for Christmas. I’d like to keep each bottle under 100 as this would be just a couple bonus presents. But whatever, any recs welcome 

Where do you live? Best advice I could give is to find a knowledgeable wine merchant.

If in Dallas go find James McFadyen at Pogo’s.

It was exceptional. I’ve had the 95 too and agree it was outstanding. It’s been over 10 years (had it at Lola here in Dallas during a tasting of 95 Napa cabs).
Wine geek story: Several years back I was having a drink at Redd in Yountville, and start making small talk with another guy at the bar. After a couple of drinks it comes out that he is the winemaker at Shafer. It was interesting to pick his brain, especially given he had made what was (and still is) my favorite bottle of all time. Good guy. It was the wine world equivalent of growing up a Cowboys fan and realizing you are having a drink with Roger Staubach.

If you can get your hands on anything from Achaval Ferrer, they make amazing wines (mostly Malbecs) at a variety of price points. Great quality at both the low end and high end of their range. I think perhaps one of the best Argentinian producers (and I spent a month in Mendoza trying to figure it out!).

Catena Zapata also fits that same bill.
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Fooball said:

If you can get your hands on anything from Achaval Ferrer, they make amazing wines (mostly Malbecs) at a variety of price points. Great quality at both the low end and high end of their range. I think perhaps one of the best Argentinian producers (and I spent a month in Mendoza trying to figure it out!).

Catena Zapata also fits that same bill.

Thank you for the recs. +rep