MLS 2018 Thread

ATLLonghorn

For me it is the league bias towards the new little darling  I and most fans don't like and also most of the fans I am sure are awesome but the ones I have met and talked to acted like complete bitches.

Obnoxious is an understatement

Edited by Zepol87

14 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

For me it is the league bias towards the new little darling  I and most fans don't like and also most of the fans I am sure are awesome but the ones I have met and talked to acted like complete bitches.

Obnoxious is an understatement

That's unfortunate. Hopefully at some point you can make it down there for a game and hopefully people treat you well.

I will say I totally get the hate, but I will also say that the enthusiasm Atlanta has is organic and real and given our rep as a bad sports town at least people genuinely care about a team.

• Like 2

MLS does need fan bases like yours. I want to check out a game at the stadium for sure.

Still dislike portland way more than you guys so I hope you kick their ass

*not sure what I edited on the other post but holy hell my bad for some of the gibberish 

Edited by Zepol87
other post is garbage

9 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

MLS does need fan bases like yours. I want to check out a game at the stadium for sure.

Still dislike portland way more than you guys so I hope you kick their ass

*not sure what I edited on the other post but holy hell my bad for some of the gibberish 

Haha. Is that an envious hatred coming from the fan of a team with no following? I must ask. What’s your beef with Portland other the. Western conf foes? I agree with you about the darling comment for the new shiney toy in ATL. My feeling is they haven’t put in the Blood sweat and tears yet.  I can respect their fan base though  coming from a fan base that is one of the best in the league  there is a reason for a 3-4 year wait list and $7k for a pair of season tickets in Portland  

7 hours ago, Eugene11 said:

That goal! And Valeri’s reaction is fantastic. 

Yeah, I didn't know who scored the goal that Valeri didn't score, but I'm not shocked that it was another Argie.

I think that FC Dallas has an Argie that used to be on Portland. The Timbers tend to like technically sound, but relatively inexpensive players.

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Yeah, I didn't know who scored the goal that Valeri didn't score, but I'm not shocked that it was another Argie.

I think that FC Dallas has an Argie that used to be on Portland. The Timbers tend to like technically sound, but relatively inexpensive players.

You’re thinking of Maxi Urruti.  Hated to see him traded from a backup spot w Portland to FCD as his arc was clearly upward.

Valeri and Blanco grew up playing together.  Timbers have a third Argie on the roster - Lucas Milano - who hasn’t made an impact and is pulling 1M per year.  ouch.

On 12/1/2018 at 6:52 PM, triplehorn said:

You’re thinking of Maxi Urruti.  Hated to see him traded from a backup spot w Portland to FCD as his arc was clearly upward.

Valeri and Blanco grew up playing together.  Timbers have a third Argie on the roster - Lucas Milano - who hasn’t made an impact and is pulling 1M per year.  ouch.

I knew that Valeri was "de Lanús", but didn't realize that Blanco was as well. (Lucas Melano also came to Portland from Club Atlético Lanús, but he's from the Córdoba province and only played for Lanús for 2 years, after the other two guys were gone.) Lanús has traditionally been a small club from a working class suburb outside the city limits of Buenos Aires and they (almost?) never played in the top level, but in the 2000s they made a commitment to the youth academy system and have been up since the mid 2000s and actually won two domestic titles and one international title. (Kind of the equivalent of the UEFA CUP... the 2nd level international cup in CONMEBOL.)

Being two years apart, even though they both came up through the Lanús system, they probably never played together until the senior squad from 2006-2009. Still, there is a familiarity there and I'm sure that they are always together off the field. That chemistry definitely helps in the final 1/3 of the field.

On 12/1/2018 at 9:59 PM, triplehorn said:

Timbers fans dubbed Urruti "el Apache" (due to his bow and arrow motion after a goal) and derived a chant based off that, probably the best one made. 

To the tune "Apache": "OH,oh Oh oh OH Oh OH, URRUTI URRUTI URRUTI"

This is strange that an Argentine would take on the nickname "El Apache", because that's Carlos Tevez's nickname. He got his because the building that he grew up in was an unfinished apartment building in a slum that looked like the desolate setting for "Fort Apache The Bronx". I'd think that that would almost be like a baseball player in the '30s accepting the nickname "The Babe" because he sucked his thumb after a home run to honor his newborn at home.

Tiny Josef, shows MLS coaches size doesn't matter.

Not sure how you can dislike ATL, they have done almost everything right. They have been the anti-mls at a point in time qe need the mls to realize they are doing it (everything) wrong.

Edited by pacman
  • Like 2

and so concludes another year of the cabal.  the world's greatest soccertainment exhibition.

i watched about 10-12 minutes last night in the first half.

neither side linked together more than 2 passes in a row.

garber says it needs to become a selling league.

i think it sold out a long time ago.  it just took a decade +/- 3 years for the class of '94 to figure it out.

10 hours ago, GSU&UT said:

Sorry Zep, wasn't meant to be gloating. I will say that Blank is throwing around serious money to get major talent, I can only hope this continues across the league and raise the talent pool here.

There is only so much a team can do within the salary cap confines of MLS.  Given that most owners want to reduce the number of DPs from 3 to 2, this signing will remain a significant outlier for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GSU&UT said:

Sorry Zep, wasn't meant to be gloating. I will say that Blank is throwing around serious money to get major talent, I can only hope this continues across the league and raise the talent pool here.

Nah bro you good. Just salty lol

Hope Montreal convinces Maxi to stay and fucks our FO who is hoping for the future sale money. Thanks for some good times 

Edited by Zepol87

The rules work how MLS wants them to work at any given moment. 

MLS and its owners accurately view ATL and Seattle as outliers and are structuring the salary cap based on the realistic capabilities of a team that can average 20,000 in attendance, a number more than half of the teams in the league don't achieve.    

16 hours ago, GSU&UT said:

I think "Soccer in America" would be a better phrasing considering he's, you know, Argentinian. 

But, this trend will continue. South Americans that like being closer to family and in the same time zones are going to seriously start considering MLS clubs that can offer them $5MM plus. 

Ironically, this is at a time when the US is sending more players overseas than ever. There must be over a dozen Americans in the Bundesliga right now. SEVEN Americans have scored a goal in BL play this season just 14 games in. 

The storm is coming. Europe got to point and laugh for decades, it won't be as funny once the US is a national powerhouse and running teams off the field.