2019 Super Regional Thread

Horny Bull

4 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

TT and Michigan played a three game series earlier this year.  TT swept it 11-2, 10-3 and 8-5.  One would hope that bodes well for Tech  in their CWS opener.

Gonna be a good matchup...

Have there been any more adjustments to the newer stadium in Omaha??  Just remember lack of HRs in Omaha has given the teams with stronger pitching a much better chance of winning Championships...

Good thing they changed the baseball to help with HRs...

Most home runs hit in CWS since the event moved to TD Ameritrade Park

AP    Updated  CDT June 22, 2017

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — Louisville's Logan Taylor hit the College World Series' 16th home run, the most since the event moved to TD Ameritrade Park in 2011.  Taylor's homer against TCU on Thursday night came in the 10th game of the CWS. The previous high at the stadium was 15 homers in 16 games in 2015. Last year, there were 10 in 17 games.

College baseball coaches and fans bemoaned the scarcity of homers at the expansive stadium after a total of six were hit in 30 combined CWS games in 2013 and '14.  The numbers throughout college baseball increased in 2015 when the NCAA put a flat-seam ball into play to counter severe drops in offense since bat specifications changed in 2011. The new ball replaced the more wind-resistant raised-seam ball.

I came away far more unimpressed with UCLA than impressed with Michigan. I guess that's also because I watched LMU take UCLA to the brink. I expect Michigan will have the first-timer yips in Omaha and Tech will crush them. On that side of the bracket, it will be interesting to see if FSU can keep this magic going. 

If UNC wins today, that UNC-Miss State opener in Omaha will be a doozie. 

• Like 1

Late to the party, was traveling and only got to watch the middle 5 innings of Tech/OSU while stuck at DFW...

I said early in the regionals thread that I’d massively tip my hat to Tech if they’d win 5/5 or 5/6 games against us this year to punch their ticket to Omaha...and that still holds...well done Raiders, give em Hell.

Honestly I feel osu overachieved to even force a rubber match in the series. We were absolute feast or famine at the plate, swinging for the fences made for some thrilling baseball but also endless frustration with situational hitting. That defense was badass though.

In the end, Tech absolutely proved to be the better team on the diamond (though it’d have been nice to not play it all in Lubbock). Best of luck to them in Omaha, they earned it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

It was an entertaining series. Honestly, I’m just glad we’re not eatin shit from the okie Lite fans. Omaha is a bonus. 

That's not something to worry about.  The last couple pages of this thread would have had a completely different tone if we had won.  

Hellllooo Boys. Back to Back years in OMAHA with different HC's.  3 trips in past 7 years. 

I like our matchup against either of UNC or Auburn. either way our bats are on fire and our pitching just almost completely shut down a very good stanford team. 

oh and. Go Pigs. make homesick cry. 

Not to rekindle the fire here, but I had to laugh at both sides in this thread on the whole "dogpiling" issue and the back-and-forth that ensured.

First, to the guys mocking Tech for dogpiling.  Why do you care?  These are millenials.  I mock them for so much more than this.  I don't understand them or their ways...for I am caveman Gen X'er. But the CWS is kind of a big deal, and if this is how they want to celebrate, who cares?

Second, to my fellow Tech fans who really, really went off in reply and got quite defensive about it....same question...why do you care what some internet guys think about how our team celebrated?  It's really not that big of a deal and not worth the responding vitriol.  Have a drink, toast the team, and hope we can do better this time around in Omaha.

Glad we got out that out of the way...now to the important stuff...

When Tech made it in 2014, my brother and I took our dad.  It was his dream come true to see Tech in the CWS.  I think he would have preferred to see it in the old stadium, but he was ecstatic nevertheless.  In 2016, we debated going back, but our schedules wouldn't allow it...my father died the last week of June that year, but he at least got to see Tech play on TV in the CWS again.

If he had lived to see them now go two more times, I don't think he would have believed it.  He waited decades and could only dream of Tech making the CWS once...much less four times now in six years.  I am so thankful we took him in 2014 and he had the opportunity to be there.  For me, Tech in the CWS has become a tribute to my father...and this year I hope I can toast him with a championship.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Not to rekindle the fire here, but I had to laugh at both sides in this thread on the whole "dogpiling" issue and the back-and-forth that ensured.

First, to the guys mocking Tech for dogpiling.  Why do you care?  These are millenials.  I mock them for so much more than this.  I don't understand them or their ways...for I am caveman Gen X'er. But the CWS is kind of a big deal, and if this is how they want to celebrate, who cares?

Second, to my fellow Tech fans who really, really went off in reply and got quite defensive about it....same question...why do you care what some internet guys think about how our team celebrated?  It's really not that big of a deal and not worth the responding vitriol.  Have a drink, toast the team, and hope we can do better this time around in Omaha.

Glad we got out that out of the way...now to the important stuff...

When Tech made it in 2014, my brother and I took our dad.  It was his dream come true to see Tech in the CWS.  I think he would have preferred to see it in the old stadium, but he was ecstatic nevertheless.  In 2016, we debated going back, but our schedules wouldn't allow it...my father died the last week of June that year, but he at least got to see Tech play on TV in the CWS again.

If he had lived to see them now go two more times, I don't think he would have believed it.  He waited decades and could only dream of Tech making the CWS once...much less four times now in six years.  I am so thankful we took him in 2014 and he had the opportunity to be there.  For me, Tech in the CWS has become a tribute to my father...and this year I hope I can toast him with a championship.

Good post, but I think, by consensus, anyone 23 and under (which would presumably be almost all of any current NCAA team roster) would be considered too young to be a millennial. 

Hellllooo Boys. Back to Back years in OMAHA with different HC's.  3 trips in past 7 years. 
I like our matchup against either of UNC or Auburn. either way our bats are on fire and our pitching just almost completely shut down a very good stanford team. 

oh and. Go Pigs. make homesick cry. 

13364970cda935ece446fe9c1bdbf3b9.jpg
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

Good post, but I think, by consensus, anyone 23 and under (which would presumably be almost all of any current NCAA team roster) would be considered too young to be a millennial. 

I can't keep up.  What's this group's label?

The back-and-forth last night was with two tools who basically had not said anything the whole thread, and then when tech wins they want to talk shit. I don’t care about dog piling one where the other. As long as the players don’t get hurt. 

One of the great things about this board is that fans of all teams can come on here and talk back-and-forth about the games and series and the things that are going on. We do it all the time without any problems. Then two dumbasses come on and want to talk shit right as the game closes that Tech has never won anything.   Sorry, if we were in a bar or whatever face-to-face, I would’ve told them to go fuck themselves just like I did in the thread. You just don’t do that. The absence of the bullshit is what makes a good around here.

It was a great series between Tech and Okie light And fans from both sides were basically saying that. If tech had lost, there is no doubt that Oklahoma State had  played well too, and fans from both sides were basically saying that. If tech had lost, there is no doubt that Oklahoma State had earned  played well enough to earn their ticket to Omaha. They traded punches back-and-forth, and there is zero reason to disrespect Oklahoma State. I wasn’t getting that vibe from any of our fans, but maybe I missed it. 

Anyhoo enough freaking drama. On to Omaha!

Edited by slorch

I thoroughly believe Okie St would have punched their ticket to Omaha if they were in a different Super Regional.  Hell, they almost did it in this one and either team would have deserved it.

I really wish they were in a different one so the two teams could have faced each other in Omaha rather than in the Super.  

It's somewhat traditional for Texas fans viewing other teams' series to ridicule them for dogpiling anywhere but Omaha.  It's a typical arrogant Texas reaction that plays off Royal's admonition to act like you've been there before.

Anyone who has spent much time on the baseball boards at this site or its predecessors should not be surprised by it.

What a shitshow.  UNC starting pitcher didn't show up - walked 4 straight and got pulled.  Auburn also had a successful safety squeeze with everybody safe.  Now with 2 outs, it's 5-0 Auburn and UNC is going to their 3rd pitcher of the top of the 1st.