2020 Democratic Debates Watch Thread

bad_teammate

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Sorry, didn’t mean to be condescending.  Just rubbed me the wrong way by looking at the healthcare system only through the lens of your personal experience.  

The Klob made a fair point in the debate last night.  I think a large swath of voters are going to be more comfortable with incremental change to coverage. 

29 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

The Klob made a fair point in the debate last night.  I think a large swath of voters are going to be more comfortable with incremental change to coverage. 

The healthcare system isn’t going to be single payer over night. 

It will have to be incremental regardless but you have to fight for the destination to get the incremental.  When candidates start talking in half measures on healthcare it means they aren’t going to do shit. 

Look at how Obamacare worked out. They swung for the fences and ended up with a Republican plan.  

You have to swing for the fences to make any change on healthcare. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

we're only comfortable with the senate institutionalizing racist chattel slavery and the rule of the minority into perpetuity because we're used to it. 

Edited by elfenix
am i moving left of b_t?

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm 55 years old and am more than successful by any reasonable measure.  I think Trump and his supporters -- including you -- are despicable, ignorant gutter trash.  Reframe your worldview.

Translation:  I've got mine, so I don't care if we blow up the system that made it possible.  none of my terrible ideas will have any effect on my day to day life except a few more tax dollars.  My kids won't suffer the strain on resources, and there won't be tents in my neighborhood.

I'm a better person than everyone and if you disagree, you are racist.

Reframe your worldview

Just now, ChickenSandwich said:

Translation:  I've got mine, so I don't care if we blow up the system that made it possible.  none of my terrible ideas will have any effect on my day to day life except a few more tax dollars.  My kids won't suffer the strain on resources, and there won't be tents in my neighborhood.

I'm a better person than everyone and if you disagree, you are racist.

Reframe your worldview

Again, you are getting booted off your private insurance at 65. 

We're going to start that a little sooner. It's going to happen, so get used to it.

58 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Weird.  I basically thought both Gabbard and Beto shown themselves to be not ready for prime time in the debates.  The idea that she won the debate seems crazy.

She didn’t. She’s basically season 7 Selina Meyer

Edited by Pig Bellmont

1 hour ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

So, if I read that correctly, Bernie does poorly or flat with the college-educated of all races and is slightly above even with the Black no college group?

Yes.

College-educated whites are Buttigieg and Warren.
Old people of all races are Biden.
Young, working class people of all races are Sanders.

All subject to change, of course, but young people of all races have been Sanders's demo since 2016.

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Yes.

College-educated whites are Buttigieg and Warren.
Old people of all races are Biden.
Young, working class people of all races are Sanders.

All subject to change, of course, but young people of all races have been Sanders's demo since 2016.

It's a shame they don't vote.

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's a shame they don't vote.

Young people getting involved isn't just Bernie's only shot at the primary, it's the only shot our country has of pulling out of the nosedive. Gen X and older ain't gonna save us. Millenials and Zoomers gotta get to the polls everywhere for all races.

10 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Young people getting involved isn't just Bernie's only shot at the primary, it's the only shot our country has of pulling out of the nosedive. Gen X and older ain't gonna save us. Millenials and Zoomers gotta get to the polls everywhere for all races.

I agree. I wish they would vote. Their turnout is depressing.

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Younger generations outvoted older generations in 2018 and Millenial turnout nearly doubled.

The trend is going in the right direction, and there's a pretty simple way to ensure it keeps going, which is to choose a candidate/platform they like.

Only if you lump Gen X in with millennials and Gen Z. 

I wouldn't count Gen X as a younger generation. Gen X is middle aged.

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Younger than the silent and boomer

Gotcha. I'm glad the numbers are going up. They need to go up more everywhere. Trump is going to lose the popular vote by a lot again. It would suck if he wins the electoral college because people didn't show up.

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Because it’s all about you and keeping you comfortable.  Screw everyone else i guess, I got mine and like it.  We’re being swindled for procedures that cost four times what they would in Thailand... which, by the way, is where many Americans now travel to get much better and affordable healthcare.  Thailand has government run healthcare too. 

We can do better than Thailand but choose not to because we’ve been conditioned to accept the status quo as fair when it’s anything but. 

Thailand and Singapore are real options for better healthcare, and that's absolutely the truth (at least for me) from the perspective of knowing specific hospitals and programs in those countries in specific areas, etc.  Thailand and Singapore are actually interesting health care systems to look at as they approach things differently but both have some positives we could learn from over here.  Medical tourism is its own niche area that is probably a long-term growth market in some countries.

I still think it's a true 50/50ish range for Trump and whoever ends up the opponent.  I don't see an across the board strong candidate against Trump but I also see 3 candidates (also a good VP selection would help) that would be quite scary for Trump too if things break right.  I'm not sure how the under 25 crowd will react yet, and I'm also unsure of the strength of the post 65 conservative voter which may tweak dependent on the Dem candidate.  Very curious to see who wins the nomination against Trump, this should be an interesting election.

3 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I want to see Drunk Biden who gets belligerent, ignores time limits, and tells everybody he'll talk and they'll like it cuz he's th'Prezdent. (hic)

if he snarks back at a moderator with, "no, i'll tell you when my time is up" i will donate $100 to his campaign tonight.

Just now got a chance to hear Beto, Corey, and Castro speak Spanish.

Beto wasn't terrible. Most of his accent problems come from aspirating his consonants like somebody banging the heel of a shoe on a table. ie, he said his consonants just like English. Vowels I'd give him a B on. I think he made some train-of-thought mistake where he threw in an extra necesitamos, but I'll put that up to being on stage.

Corey, damn... Consonants sloppy as a drunk stripper trying to drive a snowmobile in a slush-covered parking lot. Vowels were classic potato-mouth, everything trending towards a schwa. But damn if he didn't try. A man who tries can always improve.

Castro didn't say enough. I can sound super-mexicano if I stick to one sentence too. Seems like he should have used a reflexive, something like "me postulo", never even heard that word, probably just means I'm ignunt. We need to get Castro drunk and see what he can really do.

• Like 1

Beto wasn't terrible. Most of his accent problems come from aspirating his consonants like somebody banging the heel of a shoe on a table. ie, he said his consonants just like English. Vowels I'd give him a B on. I think he made some train-of-thought mistake where he threw in an extra necesitamos, but I'll put that up to being on stage.
Corey, damn... Consonants sloppy as a drunk stripper trying to drive a snowmobile in a slush-covered parking lot. Vowels were classic potato-mouth, everything trending towards a schwa. But damn if he didn't try. A man who tries can always improve.
Castro didn't say enough. I can sound super-mexicano if I stick to one sentence too. Seems like he should have used a reflexive, something like "me postulo", never even heard that word, probably just means I'm ignunt. We need to get Castro drunk and see what he can really do.
Castro isn't actually fluent. He's from one of those families where learning the native language was viewed as bad. He's worked on it more as he's emerged in politics but his speaking is still limited.

Bernie's Twitch stream just played ~3-4 seconds of the Soviet Anthem after the Star-Spangled Banner ended.

Reasonable answer: They just had "anthems" playing on YouTube and it went to the next most popular
COOL answer: Bernie is going to rename America "The Soviet Union"

2 minutes ago, horncyclist said:
8 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Read more  

Castro isn't actually fluent. He's from one of those families where learning the native language was viewed as bad. He's worked on it more as he's emerged in politics but his speaking is still limited.

I can respect that. It just seemed like he was a little too careful.

Hell, depending where his family was from in Mexico, they may have just started speaking Spanish a few generations before he was born. Zapata gave speeches in Nahuatl for a reason.

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

You and I are playing the same game right now. Latitud 42 gonna help me get through this shitshow.

I know that it seems like a long ago distant universe, but there was a lot of fun had on debate threads 2016.  I am not sure that the democrats have it in them to ever top dick size debates on the national stage, but I am sure they will find their own unique angle to move the death spiral forward. 

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Because it’s all about you and keeping you comfortable.  Screw everyone else i guess, I got mine and like it.  We’re being swindled for procedures that cost four times what they would in Thailand... which, by the way, is where many Americans now travel to get much better and affordable healthcare.  Thailand has government run healthcare too. 

We can do better than Thailand but choose not to because we’ve been conditioned to accept the status quo as fair when it’s anything but. 

If I am the one paying the premiums for MY policy and I am the one paying the deductible for MY policy and the treatments and procedures are for MY health then why shouldn't it be about me?  You don't buy home owner's insurance because of how it covers someone else's home.  You don't buy car insurance because of how it covers someone else's car.  You buy those things because of the coverage the company gives your home and your car.  Why shouldn't people be allowed to choose their health insurance based on how that insurance fits their needs instead of how it fits someone else's needs?  The whole idea is to find insurance you like.  Under your proposal someone in the government is forcing you to buy the insurance they think will fit your needs.  The final decision in a purchase should lie with the consumer not the retailer.  How many people would go into HEB if HEB told them that HEB will decide what they can purchase instead of them?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Mrs. Canecutter got holt of some Mexican Institute of Sound albums today, I think we can play them over the debate like Pink Floyd with Wizard of Oz, produce profound insights possibly aided by boxed juice of the vine.

Im in to it.

• Like 1