2020 Democratic Debates Watch Thread

bad_teammate

6 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

If I am the one paying the premiums for MY policy and I am the one paying the deductible for MY policy and the treatments and procedures are for MY health then why shouldn't it be about me?  You don't buy home owner's insurance because of how it covers someone else's home.  You don't buy car insurance because of how it covers someone else's car.  You buy those things because of the coverage the company gives your home and your car.  Why shouldn't people be allowed to choose their health insurance based on how that insurance fits their needs instead of how it fits someone else's needs?  The whole idea is to find insurance you like.  Under your proposal someone in the government is forcing you to buy the insurance they think will fit your needs.  The final decision in a purchase should lie with the consumer not the retailer.  How many people would go into HEB if HEB told them that HEB will decide what they can purchase instead of them?

Forgetting for the moment that when you buy insurance your premiums are pooled and pay for everyone else's claims, should we allow the market to determine the health insurance needs of people 65 and older? You think that would be a good thing?