Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

19 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

It's literally impossible to go 5-0 in games in which you will likely be favored?  Is that a serious post or a troll?

Right, because literally impossible was my word choice. 

Texas lost at home to Radford and VCU. But they're going to sweep 5 of the best 6 teams in the B12 (not named Texas) at home. Got it. 

Am I aware that to obtain a probability of two unrelated events occurring in sequence you must multiply their respective probabilities?  No, I did not know that.

What is the probability of "no way in fuck"?  Less than 1%?  That is surely incorrect.  I would put it at least 5%-10%.  

• Fuck You 1

I put Fozzz on ignore. Not interested in continuing that conversation. 

What do y'all think of Kelvin Sampson? He's 63 but seems like he's still got it - got to watch UH up close in person last night and they are pretty damn good. A lot of talent and size but they play disciplined defense and clearly have some good chemistry. Only loss is @Temple and they split @Temple, @SMU which are both hard arenas to win in. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

What do y'all think of Kelvin Sampson? He's 63 but seems like he's still got it - got to watch UH up close in person last night and they are pretty damn good. A lot of talent and size but they play disciplined defense and clearly have some good chemistry. Only loss is @Temple and they split @Temple, @SMU which are both hard arenas to win in. 

Knows basketball, but is dirty as fuck, not a candidate

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Aside from the lying to the NCAA his infractions are child's play.  Back when he was at OU texting was just becoming a thing.  So what.. he made a bunch of phone calls.  We have bag men that are dropping 100k in Ayton's lap.  Zion supposedly got $100k and a house for his family.  Cam got $200k.  Yet Sampson is dirty as fuck?  He's might actually be one of the cleanest guys in the game, he just got caught with his small misdeeds of calling people too much.  Fucking calling people too much.  Harbaugh spent the damn night at a recruits house for fucks sake.

If sampson was 55, I'd hire him in a heartbeat.  He's one of the best X/O coaches out there and he has had his hand slapped so he might not go overboard again.  Fucking A... Bruce Pearl is still a coach and he lied to the NCAA.  Get sampson at a major school and let him run. 

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

You guys did employ Larry Brown and traded NCAA probation for a championship. 

What a stupid fucking comment. 

Texas would be lucky to trade a title with a slap on the wrist.

I mean you can't be serious. Sampson or not.

Edited by ztejas

On 1/16/2019 at 11:17 AM, Fozzz said:

Also, regarding the odds of being such an extreme outlier three years in a row. 

*peruses kenpom for five seconds*  

Florida finished 286th (2017), 310th (2018), and 334th (2019)  in luck.  

You should find more examples. I mean the very fact that multiple teams with consistently bad "luck" exist is hurting your argument, but don't let that stop you.

On 1/15/2019 at 7:47 PM, Goo Punch said:

I've been saying this for a couple years now, and i don't think that it's ever been more evident than it is now. We really really miss having a culture and an identity. Under Penders it was the "Runnin Horns", and under Barnes we had an identity of toughness. Physical toughness- chiseled players who'd been molded into absolute specimens by Todd Wright, known for intense defending, rabid team rebounding, and tough players. Mental toughness- you either become strong enough to handle Rick Barnes' style and become better for it, or you wilt and lose your spot. We put our players in high pressure, high leverage situations every single day in practice, because the way it has to be done.

That's the way it has to be done? You don't see any negative effects this coaching style may have had in the back half of Barnes' Texas tenure?

Be reasonable. Barnes did want that toughness identity but he lost his team in multiple seasons because of it.

22 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You should find more examples. I mean the very fact that multiple teams with consistently bad "luck" exist is hurting your argument, but don't let that stop you.

How are those reliability tests coming?  Have you found something meaningful or are you going to continue talking out of your ass on this topic? 

48 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

That's the way it has to be done? You don't see any negative effects this coaching style may have had in the back half of Barnes' Texas tenure?

Be reasonable. Barnes did want that toughness identity but he lost his team in multiple seasons because of it.

"that's the way it has to be done" was referring to the previous part of that same sentence: "we put our players in high pressure, high leverage situations in practice every day....because that's the way it has to be done."  I'm not saying that every coach needs to be as hard and demanding as Rick Barnes- most kids today can't handle that. I'm saying that Shaka's teams and players have a history of a)making the same mistakes time and again, and b)wilting at the end of games, and a large part of that is in my mind dueto the fact that up until very recently nobody every really got benched or punished for doing anything wrong.  when everything is positive reinforcement and there is no accountability, you get the type of repetitive mistakes and late game blunder a that we've seen. 

Edited by Goo Punch

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I don't understand your response. Kansas did not get a slap on the wrist in 1988.

One year of postseason play probation and the loss of one scholarship the next year. Boo hoo. I'm sure KU fans were devastated.

They were back in the title game in 1991. 

That doesn't mean Larry Brown isn't a cheating piece of shit but all things told that 1988 title was probably worth it. It was their first title in 36 years and just the 2nd in school history.

Would you have taken UT's '05 title for a year of bowl probation and the loss of a few scholarships? That's a no brainer to me...

18 minutes ago, ztejas said:

One year of postseason play probation and the loss of one scholarship the next year. ....

Would you have taken UT's '05 title for a year of bowl probation and the loss of a few scholarships? That's a no brainer to me...

It was a major probation. Kansas didn't get to defend their national championship on the court because their program was dirty enough to get the somnambulant NCAA's attention. That was either the first, or the first since the early 50s, NCAA champion that was legitimately barred from defending its national title. It was kind of a big deal at the time.

And no, I would not have wanted to win a national championship by cheating to get it. You might not understand this about the University of Texas, because we're surrounded on all sides by cheaters, but that isn't and has never been part of our DNA, and that will never change. 

2 hours ago, Fozzz said:

How are those reliability tests coming?  Have you found something meaningful or are you going to continue talking out of your ass on this topic? 

What reliability tests?

Are you going to address the fact that finding multiple teams who consistently occupy outlier positions in a statistic is evidence that the statistic is not completely random?

Edited by Huckleberry

34 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

What reliability tests?

Are you going to address the fact that finding multiple teams who consistently occupy outlier positions in a statistic is evidence that the statistic is not completely random?

The existence of outliers is consistent with a stat having high or low reliability.  For example, we would expect to find outliers (including over successive seasons) in both a high reliability stat like K% for a hitter in baseball and a low reliability stat like clutch.  Usually when you expand the sample on a low reliability stat you find that the outlier seasons do not correlate with the remainder of the sample, just as the difference between Shaka's expected and actual winning %s for the past three seasons does not correlate with that difference in the other seasons of his career as a head coach.

His argument was that Shaka is such an extreme, singular outlier that variance could not possibly explain the result, when that is obviously not true.

As another example, Duke has had markedly below average luck in three of the past four seasons (counting this season) with the other season being about neutral luck.  Are we going to suppose from that information that Coach K is a below average coach in close games?  

Edited by Fozzz
  • Fuck You 1

the amount of retarded hypotheticals that you pose when arguing with *anyone* is beyond lame, and your whole act was tired a week ago. i'm starting to think that cameltoe just has multiple personalities with varying degrees of intelligence, all of which are equally annoying and useless as the only thing they try to do is keep the argument going. when every single post you make comes from a position of, "i'm right, you're stupid, and this is all self evident", it doesn't matter whether you're actually trolling or not, the effect is the same. 

Edited by Goo Punch

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

One year of postseason play probation and the loss of one scholarship the next year. Boo hoo. I'm sure KU fans were devastated.

They were back in the title game in 1991. 

That doesn't mean Larry Brown isn't a cheating piece of shit but all things told that 1988 title was probably worth it. It was their first title in 36 years and just the 2nd in school history.

He gave a kid that didnt even go to Kansas, 364 dollars for a round trip ticket to see his grandmother who raised him and was ill at the time (and she passed away a short time later). He told the NCAA about it, wasn't trying to hide it, then they slapped them with the sanctions. The NCAA did a thorough investigation trying to find a pattern to see if Kansas had been doing that and they never found anything other than what Larry Brown told them he had done.

20 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

the amount of retarded hypotheticals that you pose when arguing with *anyone* is beyond lame, and your whole act was tired a week ago. i'm starting to think that cameltoe just has multiple personalities with varying degrees of intelligence, all of which are equally annoying and useless as the only thing they try to do is keep the argument going. when every single post you make comes from a position of, "i'm right, you're stupid, and this is all self evident", it doesn't matter whether you're actually trolling or not, the effect is the same. 

I would argue that subjective intent is an essential part of trolling.  

25 minutes ago, 76Jayhawk said:

He gave a kid that didnt even go to Kansas, 364 dollars for a round trip ticket to see his grandmother who raised him and was ill at the time (and she passed away a short time later). He told the NCAA about it, wasn't trying to hide it, then they slapped them with the sanctions

I'm not hearing it. Take the banner down you fucking cheaters.

They fucked Larry harder at SMU. We lost an AAC champion team to postseason probation and then got hit with 3 scholarship reductions per year for 3 years. SMU is still recovering.

19 hours ago, ztejas said:

I think he wants to head back to the NBA.

4 hours ago, 76Jayhawk said:

He gave a kid that didnt even go to Kansas, 364 dollars for a round trip ticket to see his grandmother who raised him and was ill at the time (and she passed away a short time later). He told the NCAA about it, wasn't trying to hide it, then they slapped them with the sanctions. The NCAA did a thorough investigation trying to find a pattern to see if Kansas had been doing that and they never found anything other than what Larry Brown told them he had done.

aw man, you poor victims!

here's the article SI wrote about it; let's let people read up on it and judge for themselves

https://www.si.com/vault/1988/11/14/118850/a-champion-takes-a-fall-kansas-which-last-spring-won-the-ncaas-biggest-basketball-prize-has-now-been-rocked-by-severe-ncaa-penalties

I"m not saying you were SMU football in the 80s, but the NCAA isn't and wasn't in the habit of gratuitously punishing championship level programs, and your characterization of the reason(s) for the penalty is false.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

aw man, you poor victims!

here's the article SI wrote about it; let's let people read up on it and judge for themselves

https://www.si.com/vault/1988/11/14/118850/a-champion-takes-a-fall-kansas-which-last-spring-won-the-ncaas-biggest-basketball-prize-has-now-been-rocked-by-severe-ncaa-penalties

I"m not saying you were SMU football in the 80s, but the NCAA isn't and wasn't in the habit of gratuitously punishing championship level programs, and your characterization of the reason(s) for the penalty is false.

You're acting like there's anything particularly damning in that article. Okay so it wasn't just $364, it was more like $1,250. Does that make much of a difference? 

Apparently they would hand out a little cash here and there to other players, too. Again, that seems pretty benign. Nothing like what Adidas and UA and coaches have been implicated in recently. 

And lol at "you weren't SMU football in the 80s". Yeah, they also weren't Texas or atm or TCU football in the 80s. 

51 minutes ago, ztejas said:

And lol at "you weren't SMU football in the 80s". Yeah, they also weren't Texas or atm or TCU football in the 80s. 

do you think there's a better figurative to use there? is there a football program more famous for cheating than "SMU in the 80s"? That seemed like an effective way of acknowledging that while Kansas was punished, it wasn't cheating on the level of, say, having a slush fund organized by members of its Board of Trustees the way SMU did.

What Kansas was punished for was actually comparable to what UT football was punished for-- in the same ballpark, at least. The difference is that we don't have UT fans saying "fuck it, hire Kelvin Sampson, who cares about a little cheating, let's just win" the way our Kansas friend seems to think we should. Sampson's record with the NCAA is prohibitive. He could win his next 200 games at UH and he'd never get a sniff here.

There is plenty in that article that is more damning than "Larry Brown called the NCAA to say he accidentally stepped in dogshit and they threw the book at him!". That was my point in posting the article. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent

3 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

is there a football program more famous for cheating than "SMU in the 80s"?

No - there isn't - that doesn't mean there aren't varying degrees of cheating or NCAA violations between Kansas basketball circa 1989 and SMU football circa 1984. 

Obviously they weren't SMU in the 80s - I think that should go without saying. 

We should be comparing what Kansas got sanctioned for in 1989 to similar probations that may or may not have resulted in similar sanctions. 

Apologies if my point was lost in translation. 

8 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Sampson's record with the NCAA is prohibitive. He could win his next 200 games at UH and he'd never get a sniff here.

Fair. I was the one who originally posted his laundry list of run-ins with the NCAA. The conversation then got shifted to Larry Brown and actual championships. 

Not saying you should or shouldn't hire someone with a thick permanent record. Just that, personally, I would trade the probation KU saw for a championship any day of the week. 

Edited by ztejas
Then again, you know where I went to school, right?

i take shits with more knowledge and character than that twat wescott eberts. passive aggressive douchebag with the nerve to put "fans" in quotation marks and then insinuate that it's somehow our bad for not being happy with replacing our basketballs Darrell Royal with a guy who can't even go .500 in the league. fuck him.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Those tweets remind me why I unfollowed that whiny fuckboy.

Who and where are these fans demanding we be a top 15 program?

The ones who call Rick Barnes "our" basketball Darrell Royal.

You've got to remember that these are just simple fans.  These are people of the stands.  The common clay of the hardcourt.  You know...

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

The problem with Longhorn Basketball, well, it’s clearly the fan base. When longhorn fans see poor performance and poor conditioning, poor planning and execution  and lack of focus they shouldn’t complain or ask for something different, they should do like all the great legendary fanbases, take the Cleveland browns fans they get a turd of a team for decades  and they love it, like it was steak and lobster and a bottle of fine wine. Alabama fans, yes their team was meh for a short time, they didn’t do anything during that time but sit patiently and pray to the football gods for a miracle, and they got one in Saint Saban.  I propose we get the new basketball areana built and name it dell coliseum and the fans will go by a catchy nickname like the  Dell-lusionals. 

I'm torn.  

I really want this team to make the tourney.  Sure they won't go very far, but, for me, March Madness really, really sucks if my school isn't being represented.

OTOH, no way Shaka gets fired if he makes the tourney.  

In a way, it kind of sucks rooting for the team to barely be successful.

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic