2019 - 2020 Dallas Mavericks: Eastern Bloc > Western Conference

CBT

1 minute ago, LurkingHorn said:

I thought I saw somewhere that JJ is finalizing a deal to come back next season. Don't think that spot will be open. 

I hadn’t seen that, but I haven’t really been looking either.  I love JJ.  I think it’s time for him to hang it up.  Burke brings more to the table right now.

Call your shot for what you think happens tonight. I think we use the 18th and 31st to trade up.

This player comparison for Pokusevski made me lol

Active Player Comparisons

If everything goes right: Some insane hybrid of Davis Bertans and Diet Nikola Jokic?

If everything goes wrong: Dragan Bender after starving himself

From The Ringer:

18. Dallas Mavericks: Josh Green, G/F, Arizona

Green slipped under the radar as the third option on a poorly coached Arizona team, but he could be a much better NBA player than he was in college. He’s an elite athlete with a good basketball IQ, and is the rare youngster with the physical tools and mindset to play NBA-caliber defense early in his career, a must for any rookie hoping to get playing time under Rick Carlisle. Green’s ceiling at the next level will depend on his jumper, but he has a strong foundation to build on and already showed the ability to play as an off-ball player in college.This is exactly the type of player the Mavs needed to put around Luka Doncic. 

Grade: A

Edited by Dr Fear

Just now, Firemans4Horn said:

He’s ranked #8 on The Ringer’s big board. Mavs need to surround Luka with shooters. Sounds like he can shoot. 

*i’ve literally heard of 3 guys in this draft so I have no opinion on anyone. 

Just to clarify, that's the big board of one person at The Ringer. Here's a little more on the kid.

https://www.theringer.com/2020/11/9/21555854/tyrell-terry-nba-draft-lottery

Josh Richardson (or the idea of Josh Richardson, I suspect he's a guy you like less when you watch him every night) makes a ton of sense next to Luka. But Seth was possibly my fav Mav last year. Hate to lose him.

edit: also, can you imagine playing for your stepfather  brainfart... father-in-law? not as weird as PG's situation last year, but still probably not ideal. Either way, he should be a big piece in addressing their shooting woes

Edited by TommyGufano
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Shams and Woj are way ahead of everyone else on Twitter. But I know who none of these guys are in the draft so having an early tip off means nothing to me. 

Bey is a 6'7" forward who played inside a lot at CU but who can flat light it up from the 3, as is the usual for Buffaloes.  He'll need to put on some weight, but I really like him.  And he was all Pac Defense, IIRC.  Mavs got shooting and defense tonight, both huge pluses.

Edited by cafe society
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, cafe society said:

Bey is a 6'7" forward who played inside a lot at CU but who can flat light it up from the 3, as is the usual for Buffaloes.  He'll need to put on some weight, but I really like him.

I'm seeing him at 1 3PA/gm. Gonna need more than 31 shots before I fully buy into the 3pt stroke. FT% suggests shot is probably okay-not-great range

3 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

We’ve improved defensively. Clearly that was the goal. Offense should still be pretty bad ass. 

I like this. 

2 minutes ago, crum said:

Richardson also fits the "we need guys that play with edge and dont back down" mantra

Yeah... Mavs need more toughness on D for sure

Mavs were paper thin at the wing. So glad with Richardson, Green and Bey weve added talent and depth. 

As far as curry: It seemed like in the last few minutes of big games and the whole playoffs Carlisle couldn’t rely on Curry because of his terrible D.

He was on a great contract in NBA terms which is why Philly had to give up some decent value in return. I’m hoping it ends up a win-win for both teams. 

• Like 1

They had an amazing night imo.

They clearly had a plan and executed it perfectly per in on green as maybe the best wing defender in the draft and followed it up with another one at 36.

Richardson will start and while isn’t nearly the shooter isn’t horrible and is a two way player and a DAWG on the court. Sorely needed.

The small shooter we got is obvious meant to take the place of Curry a little. None of these guys will have to be rushed. But all can contribute in the fright situation.

Now if they add one of the scorers/shooters they’ve been rumored to be in on it won’t be as bad since all their defenses made me Leary of their actual impact.

Offense is great but last season proved we needed better defense. They got that.

A+ for me.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't understand the cap ins-and-outs super well, but according to Spotrac the Mavs have about $10 million in space still. You have to think they could still create some more room with their $13 million in trade exceptions. I would bet the Mavs are not done here. You'd hate to see those exceptions expire with nothing done. 

2 hours ago, RexWilson said:

Lineup options as of now imo

Luka THJ Richardson KP Maxi

Luka THJ Richardson DFS KP

Free agency the Mavs will have the MLE to use but no bi-annual. J. Jackson should be moved now after yesterday's small forward picks.

rick's going to mess with the lineups so much it's hard to figure out what he's going to settle on, but i'm not sure richardson's going to start.  for one thing dwight's going to be starting and when kp comes back he'll be in the starting lineup.

10 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

rick's going to mess with the lineups so much it's hard to figure out what he's going to settle on, but i'm not sure richardson's going to start.  for one thing dwight's going to be starting and when kp comes back he'll be in the starting lineup.

Color me skeptical that Dwight is going to be the same player. It's one thing for a player like Wes Matthews to come back from that injury because he wasn't overly-reliant on athleticism anyway, but Dwight was a great fit because he could sky for the Luka lobs. I just don't think that's going to be there like it was. 

3 hours ago, RexWilson said:

Lineup options as of now imo

Luka THJ Richardson KP Maxi

Luka THJ Richardson DFS KP

Free agency the Mavs will have the MLE to use but no bi-annual. J. Jackson should be moved now after yesterday's small forward picks.

Yeah and Donnie confirmed they're not done.  Even if you don't believe him, by simple fact that they still need a secondary creator/ball handler, and probably another big and have the full MLE to do it without trades.

I suspect Delon/Jackson plus stuff will be moved for one, and the MLE will be used on the other.

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

With the season being so short and compacted, and all the injuries and rest that'll be needed, I fully expect multiple lineups.

I don't think Powell will be starting game 1.  Maybe later on, especially if KP starts slow or doesn't come back for a month or more.

1 hour ago, LurkingHorn said:

Color me skeptical that Dwight is going to be the same player. It's one thing for a player like Wes Matthews to come back from that injury because he wasn't overly-reliant on athleticism anyway, but Dwight was a great fit because he could sky for the Luka lobs. I just don't think that's going to be there like it was. 

I mean if they're not depending on him for 30 minutes, he COULD still be effective in 12-15 minutes maybe?

On 9/2/2020 at 10:57 PM, cmontexas said:

The guy who was 2 feet away from Morris when he popped Luka in the face and didnt go a goddamn thing?

Bobby Portis. Floor spacing big (theoretically). Crazy mfer. Knicks like trading with us

On 9/3/2020 at 1:19 PM, RexWilson said:

Portis smashed his own teammate's face. Hopefully he would have the same mentality to the opposition 

gsoda said he would be starting. 12-15 minutes is way different. 
Really hard for me to think dp comes off the bench for an extended period of time after he comes back. If he's not starting it's either kp or maxi starting at the 5. Kp hates the 5 and he'll be limited big time in minutes. I'll be surprised if he plays 40 games. Maxi, we saw he's much much better when he's not being asked to play that position. If dwight is coming off the bench after he's back to game speed I think it's because we've gotten another guy (WCS?)

5 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
8 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:
gsoda said he would be starting. 12-15 minutes is way different. 

Really hard for me to think dp comes off the bench for an extended period of time after he comes back. If he's not starting it's either kp or maxi starting at the 5. Kp hates the 5 and he'll be limited big time in minutes. I'll be surprised if he plays 40 games. Maxi, we saw he's much much better when he's not being asked to play that position. If dwight is coming off the bench after he's back to game speed I think it's because we've gotten another guy (WCS?)

Or he just won’t have the same explosiveness that made him effective before.