Landomatic

Homemade Pizza Tips...Just the Tips

7 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Ok. I can always mail some to you. Shouldn’t take more than a day to get to you and if I chill it first it should be fine.

I'll hold off for now.  I'm headed to the lake house early next week and would rather not worry about missing it in the mail.  I'll re-engage in a few weeks

Wouldn’t the same be true in an oven with regards to losing heat because you have to open it to move it around or are you heating up a stone then using the broiler and cooking it in one go without any movement or door opening?

14 hours ago, dad said:

Wouldn’t the same be true in an oven with regards to losing heat because you have to open it to move it around or are you heating up a stone then using the broiler and cooking it in one go without any movement or door opening?

No, because the heat from an oven comes from the top.  So, you've got your stone cooking the bottom which loses essentially no heat when the door is opened.  Then you've got your oven cranking out heat from the top which continues when the door is opened.  The oven only loses ambient heat when the door opens and pizzas don't need much ambient heat for cooking, just the top and bottom.  Most pizza ovens don't even have a door on them...the heat comes from the top and bottom.  On a grill, you lose the top heat every time you open it look.

In addition to that, as you mentioned, you don't really need to open the oven while cooking a pizza (assuming your oven has a window and a light).  I think I average opening mine once during about a 10 minute cook, and that's to give it a turn to ensure its all cooking evenly.  Otherwise I just watch it through the window.  And I don't use the broiler.  I tried that once and it cooked the top way too fast, leaving the dough uncooked.  But I'm sure every oven is different.  And I put my top rack as close to the top as it will go.

I think pizza is kind of the opposite of BBQ...very hot and very fast and you have to look a lot to know when to turn it and pull it.

Edited by Landomatic