Patrick Bateman

Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

26 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I remember Chaz Green. I seem to recall you defending that draft pick quite strongly for a long time.

Yep and I ate massive amounts of Crow for that.  He was not bad his first year and even filled in that year for Tyron in 2014 I believe without much of a drop off.  But after that and with the injuries he never justified the pick.   I have never been one to shy away from admitting when I'm wrong.  Problem is there are very few who will ever do that...but instead will run away and hide, until the next time they can pretend they were right all along.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Drew said:

I mean that's obviously true, plus Dallas fans, in general, are a beating, ALL of us included.

But honestly, they haven't been elite for several years. It's just perception...like Romo being horrible in clutch was a perception when it was absolutely not the case.

How many different websites/publications would do you want me to site that says we have a top 5 offensive line heading into 2020? Like, at what point would you admit you’re wrong on this one? Because right now i can list 3 different credible ones that all say the same thing. All of which do a lot more research than you. All of which dedicate their day to breaking down film. All of them have us as a top 5 offensive line.

But I’m sure all of them were just gullible and didn’t do any actual research. I’m sure your eye test is more credible 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

How many different websites/publications would do you want me to site that says we have a top 5 offensive line heading into 2020? Like, at what point would you admit you’re wrong on this one? Because right now i can list 3 different credible ones that all say the same thing. All of which do a lot more research than you. All of which dedicate their day to breaking down film. All of them have us as a top 5 offensive line.

But I’m sure all of them were just gullible and didn’t do any actual research and your eye test is more credible 

Do you have a stat for pass protection rating on 3rd downs? What about against teams with winning records? Or teams outside the NFC East? 

I'd like to see the offensive line  ratings in the 4th quarter. If we're going to go solely with stats, much more are needed. We have 87 different ratings and breakdowns for QBs, and like 3 for olineman. 

That's what most people mean by the eye test. The last dominant oline I saw was Dak's rookie year. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Do you have a stat for pass protection rating on 3rd downs? What about against teams with winning records? Or teams outside the NFC East? 

I'd like to see the offensive line  ratings in the 4th quarter. If we're going to go solely with stats, much more are needed. We have 87 different ratings and breakdowns for QBs, and like 3 for olineman. 

That's what most people mean by the eye test. The last dominant oline I saw was Dak's rookie year. 

We’re arguing two different things. That oline that you’re referencing from 2014-2016was one of the best of the decade. The one we have right now isn’t dominant to that degree, nor is any oline in the league. But it’s still really fucking good, and it’s still a top 5 offensive line in the league. You don’t have to have a dominant oline to have a top 5 oline. Most teams don’t put that kind of resources into building an oline. We still have 2 guys (maybe 3) that 90% of coaches would trade their guy for ours straight up

those 2 being Martin at LG and Collins at RT. I’m not even Including a healthy Smith, who is still probably top 5 at his position when healthy

either way, my main point still stands. There are plenty of guys that can say “well if i had Dak’s oline and running back I’d be pretty good too”

Edited by youdunnf'dup

@youdunnf'dup

I agree with the idea that there isn't much that separates the top 7 or 8 Olines because there doesn't seem to be an exceptionally dominant OL among them.  My only real pushback on the PFF projection of the Cowboys is there doesn't seem to be any consideration of the 2 huge question marks we have entering the season.  Center and LG aren't exactly solidified and I dont really see how one can arrive at such a high valuation with the middle of the Oline being a potential liability. Additionally,  Tyron's recent dependability issues have to be another knock against a high evaluation as well. 

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

@youdunnf'dup

I agree with the idea that there isn't much that separates the top 7 or 8 Olines because there doesn't seem to be an exceptionally dominant OL among them.  My only real pushback on the PFF projection of the Cowboys is there doesn't seem to be any consideration of the 2 huge question marks we have entering the season.  Center and LG aren't exactly solidified and I dont really see how one can arrive at such a high valuation with the middle of the Oline being a potential liability. Additionally,  Tyron's recent dependability issues have to be another knock against a high evaluation as well. 

Agree with everything you said, but I’d love to hear the question marks for the other 31 team’s offensive lines. Because outside of the obvious teams (the colts, and saints), I would imagine most teams and their oline question marks are a lot more glaring than ours. 

And your point on Smith is valid, but when he’s on the field (banged up or not) he’s still one of the best LT in the game. 

The line has regressed a ton since 2016, there’s no disputing that. But they’ve regressed from being arguably the most dominant oline of the decade to merely being a top 5 offensive line that is no longer viewed as dominant. Now, the unit is just viewed as....really good. Better than the vast majority 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

35 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

no Jamal Adams.  He's going to the Kraken Seahawks.

If that was the price for Adams I’m glad we didn’t pay it.

19 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

We play them week 2. 100% chance he creates at least one turnover and has a pretty big day. He wanted to come to Dallas...

Quite possibly, but we weren’t paying that kind of ransom either.    This reeks of A Pete Carroll last gasp 

51 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

We play them week 2. 100% chance he creates at least one turnover and has a pretty big day. He wanted to come to Dallas...

You gonna give up 2 1's and a 3rd for him?  Good player but no safety is worth that.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Quite possibly, but we weren’t paying that kind of ransom either.    This reeks of A Pete Carroll last gasp 

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

You gonna give up 2 1's and a 3rd for him?  Good player but no safety is worth that.

Definitely don’t want him for that price, but my point still stands. He wanted to come here, like #1 destination, and I think he’ll be extra juiced for that game just to prove a point. But i guess that isn’t exactly uncommon when players play the cowboys. A lot of them are from Texas 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

2 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Definitely don’t want him for that price, but my point still stands. He wanted to come here, like #1 destination, and I think he’ll be extra juiced for that game just to prove a point. But i guess that isn’t exactly uncommon when players play the cowboys. A lot of them are from Texas 

No extension was struck with Seattle so maybe he still will in a couple of years although I wouldn't hold my breath.  Stephen doesn't believe in investing a ton of capital into the safety position.

Lol i can’t believe the jets got two first rounders for a guy that was never going to resign. A guy that was publicly begging to get out of NY. “And just to top it off, how about throw in another day 2 pick on top of the two first rounders.” 

11 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

And your starting safety in addition to those draft picks. 

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

no Jamal Adams.  He's going to the Kraken Seahawks.

Well, good luck with that, seafecals. Good player, way too dang much to pay.

Doesn't Seattle have an extra 1st rounder or two from their recent trades? Maybe the extra draft collateral made this deal a little more doable for them.  

22 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Ridiculous price for Adams. 

Este

not really.  winning the super bowl is the only thing that matters.  russell wilson on offense and the best safety (and arguably best defender in football) on defense can deliver titles.  

On 7/25/2020 at 12:06 PM, Drew said:

Yep and I ate massive amounts of Crow for that.  He was not bad his first year and even filled in that year for Tyron in 2014 I believe without much of a drop off.  But after that and with the injuries he never justified the pick.   I have never been one to shy away from admitting when I'm wrong.  Problem is there are very few who will ever do that...but instead will run away and hide, until the next time they can pretend they were right all along.

I look forward to your dissertation on the payroll value of  Dak Prescott.

If they are stupid like MLB and don't do a bubble system, yeah they won't make it long.  MLB's plan is impressively terrible.  The Marlins knew they had positive cases and still played their game on Sunday without knowing how widespread the outbreak was.

Posted (edited)

Makes me wonder what requirements are needed to guarantee their TV money.  Seems like they just want to get things started as quickly as possible to get the clock started on their broadcast dollars.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

Ha i just read an article that breaks down why Seattle felt like they had to make this trade. Since 2013, the Seahawks have drafted exactly 2 pro bowl or all pro players. Two. And both were selected as special teams guys (Tyler Lockett for KR/PR and our boy Dickson). That’s tied for the worst in all of football during that stretch. A few years ago they drafted a first rd rb that everyone had as a 2nd or 3rd rounder, and he’s barely even seen the field. They just aren’t good at this whole drafting thing. At all. They just lucked out and drafted a guy that can carry them to 10-11 wins in his sleep every year. 

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Makes me wonder what requirements are needed to guarantee their TV money.  Seems like they just want to get things started as quickly as possible to get the clock started on their broadcast dollars.  

I’d put money on two teams facing off and all players kneeling/ walking off the field.

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Ha i just read an article that breaks down why Seattle felt like they had to make this trade. Since 2013, the Seahawks have drafted exactly 2 pro bowl or all pro players. Two. And both were selected as special teams guys (Tyler Lockett for KR/PR and our boy Dickson). That’s tied for the worst in all of football during that stretch. A few years ago they drafted a first rd rb that everyone had as a 2nd or 3rd rounder, and he’s barely even seen the field. They just aren’t good at this whole drafting thing. At all. They just lucked out and drafted a guy that can carry them to 10-11 wins in his sleep every year. 

Not sure the right move if you are terrible at drafting is to give away draft picks.

Didn't the Steelers get Minkah Fitzpatrick for one 1st rounder? Seems closer to the price for a very good safety that is forcing himself off his current team. 

If it was just the draft picks I would say okay thats fine for Adams. But then you have to turn around and also pay him near market value. Not like you save cap space after the rookie deal runs out. And if anything teams can overpay guys in this spot because of the draft picks already invested.

Edited by Loch Ness Monster

Posted (edited)

that’s a pleasant surprise. The way he was talking, I thought he would sit out for sure. Now let’s just get to August 3rd before he changes his mind. We need D-Law to bounce back in a big way this year if our defense is going to be anything.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

There's gonna be a ton of players that either test positive or were exposed to someone that tested positive throughout the season.

Should be interesting when a starting QB goes out for rona reasons. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Should be interesting when a starting QB goes out for rona reasons. 

think about if it spreads through the qb room.  are you forfeiting games or starting jameill showers behind center?

oh, or you trade for mike white and march through the playoffs on your way to a title. 

Edited by futureman

6 minutes ago, slorch said:

Single Wing with La'el Collins at blocking back

yeah that might work but use joe looney.  he probably moves better than any of the other OL. 

Posted (edited)

Wentz didn't even make the top 100 players of the NFL. Lmao. The shine is coming off that overrated dork. When they realized this team played better 2 years in a row when Foles stepped in.

Edited by Vic Mackey

Cowboys are canceling season tickets this year.

(Buddy of mine just got an email from the team. They’re offering refunds for the tickets or credit toward the 2021 season.)

22 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Kinda wish it would’ve been a competition, but whatever. Forbath did everything he could when he got here:

Brutal.  How the hell did he get cut in August?  Its literally his middle name!

This must be what it's like in the woods along that mountain pass in Washington...

WTF was that?

Just a couple of weeks ago I happened across some bullshit fansite hype about "don't count out Forbath." Another good example of why I don't read that crap. Yet I don't see why they didn't at least have an honest competition.

Who is the Will Smith Fresh Prince wannabe talking to Jerry Jones's love child?

I'm still not sold on Dak being a savior QB. He's Cam Newton lite. If they try to run him this season he'll get hurt, if they try to pass his accuracy will be exposed. He's a tier 2 QB with tier 1 receivers. Get ready for a couple games with the Ginger Ninja at the helm.

29 minutes ago, slorch said:

How'd he get that thing down the Trinity?

I bet Jimmy has better fishing boat.

I'm sure glad the Arlington taxpayers were able to pay for his stadium.