Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/3/2020 at 4:06 PM, kegman said:

Looks like Clinton-Dix just got cut

So. 1 year, $3.75MM contract signed in March.

anyone speculate on what the Cowboys actually paid the guy for an offseason but no games?

just curious how that works...

15 minutes ago, slorch said:

anyone speculate on what the Cowboys actually paid the guy for an offseason but no games?

$2.25M guaranteed between signing bonus and other contractual guarantee.

Edited by Matuka

42 minutes ago, slorch said:

Damn... that’s some ginger-lke ineptitude there.

Nah, that's chump change and someone is probably going to sign him for the vet minimum, which would offset another mil or so. 

Garrett would've signed him to a 4yr 20mil contract because he was the right king of guy. 

1 hour ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

With the exception of his game against Megatron where he allowed like 300 yards. 

Carr seemed to constantly trail receivers after they got past him and gained big yards on him. Nothing special about him at all. Him and Byron Jones were one in the same. Did nothing t make their mark.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

This is the 2nd year in a row that our free agent safety signing didn't make it out of camp. If memory serves me George Iloka didn't even make it this far last year.  

7 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Carr seemed to constantly trail receivers after they got past him and gained big yards on him. Nothing special about him at all. Him and Byron Jones were one in the same. Did nothing t make their mark.

Byron Jones who allowed like 21 ypg against him?? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Even guys with not much playoff success breaking the bank these days.

Although Deshaun is better than Dak

He’s had the exact same amount of playoff success as Dak, and he’s just an all around better qb. More of a game changer. But there’s no way Dak settles for a penny less than Watson, and he’ll probably want a decent amount more because his agent will argue that he’s had a better career than Watson up until this point. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Lulz the Cowboys fucked up so god damn much here.

Dak will get paid and he'll have EARNED that money by next year. God forbid he actually wins the MVP or makes a SB run, they'll have to pay him much more than Watson.

Jesus, they could have had him for 32 mil 2 years ago and probably 36-38 a year this past offseason and nope...they'll be paying him 40 mil next year.

Also, while I would say Watson is a more talented QB, I wouldn't say he's clearly better.  He's had the same amount of success as Dak has had(couple of Division titles, 1 playoff win), he's probably had better coaching(we'd have taken BOB over Garrett the last 2 years for sure) and Dak is WAY less injury prone and I'd say tougher overall.  I love Watson though and wouldn't have any issue with someone saying they'd prefer him, it's  just not as cut and dry as some would think.  You may think one is a game changer and one isn't, but the success say they're basically similar QB's who are MUCH better comparisons to each other than Wentz/Goff are to Dak.

BTW, you really think they're letting him walk? Dak is a Top 10 QB, he'll they'd be dumb to let him walk and they'll have to pay to fix their mistake.  The good news is that, just like Goff/Wentz, in 2 years these 40 mil a year deals will be bargains.  They're paying Dak because now they'll know they screwed up not paying him before.  LOLZ at thinking this news is proof he's going anywhere.

Edited by Drew
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, Drew said:

Lulz the Cowboys fucked up so god damn much hear.

Dak will get paid and he'll have EARNED that money by next year.

Jesus, they could have had him for 32 mil 2 years ago and probably 36-38 a year this past offseason and nope...they'll be paying him 40 mil next year.

BTW, you really think they're letting him walk? Dak is a Top 10 QB, he'll they'd be dumb to let him walk and they'll have to pay to fix their mistake.  The good news is that, just like Goff/Wentz, in 2 years these 40 mil a year deals will be bargains.

I think we would have to actually win more in the post season to pay dak. Because i don’t think they think he’s a top 10 QB. If they did they would’ve paid him. That deal gets done early last year, or at the end of the season 100 times out of 100 if you think your young qb in his prime is a top 10 QB

Edited by youdunnf'dup

I will continue to disagree about him being a Top 10 QB.  EVERYTHING we've seen, and all his metrics prove he is a Top 10 QB and in a lot of regards even higher.

The issue is the Jones thinking they're being smart. They thought Dak would succumb and take the team friendly deal like many others because that's the type of guy he is, and he/his agent didn't.

The fucked up. Simple as that.  He was worth every bit of 35-38 already based on the way the QB market works, and now they'll have to pay much more to keep him.

In the end, I get it...you don't think he's a good QB, and thankfully without being a troll like the others I had to end up putting on ignore.  We'll just have to continue to disagree.  I think he's done more than enough to prove he's a Franchise QB.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, Drew said:

Dak will get paid and he'll have EARNED that money by next year. God forbid he actually wins the MVP or makes a SB run, they'll have to pay him much more than Watson.

Also, while I would say Watson is a more talented QB, I wouldn't say he's clearly better.  He's had the same amount of success as Dak has had(couple of Division titles, 1 playoff win), he's probably had better coaching(we'd have taken BOB over Garrett the last 2 years for sure) and Dak is WAY less injury prone and I'd say tougher overall.  I love Watson though and wouldn't have any issue with someone saying they'd prefer him, it's  just not as cut and dry as some would think.  You may think one is a game changer and one isn't, but the success say they're basically similar QB's who are MUCH better comparisons to each other than Wentz/Goff are to Dak.

BTW, you really think they're letting him walk? Dak is a Top 10 QB, he'll they'd be dumb to let him walk and they'll have to pay to fix their mistake.  The good news is that, just like Goff/Wentz, in 2 years these 40 mil a year deals will be bargains.  They're paying Dak because now they'll know they screwed up not paying him before.  LOLZ at thinking this news is proof he's going anywhere.

The difference between Dak and Deshaun is Deshaun is way more reliant on splash and outside the pocket plays. He's not really a guy who consistently sits in the pocket, discerns the defense, and hits the 3rd or 4th read. At least not at this point in his career. 

26 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

The difference between Dak and Deshaun is Deshaun is way more reliant on splash and outside the pocket plays. He's not really a guy who consistently sits in the pocket, discerns the defense, and hits the 3rd or 4th read. At least not at this point in his career. 

Unfortunately neither is Dak at this point. I mean he's good, just not great at it. 

16 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Yeah but if you watch both QBs the difference in this aspect in Dak's favor is glaring.  

Watson has had to run for his life most of the time in BoBs stupid offense that was designed to get him injured. Reminds me of Luck and Arians in Indianapolis. 

Dak has had some pretty good olines and an offensive system that didn't purposefully try to murder him.  

6 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

6 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Yeah but if you watch both QBs the difference in this aspect in Dak's favor is glaring.  

I know I keep coming back to this point, but don’t you think a lot of that has to do with the fact that Watson has never had a competent running game in his life? Don’t you think that changes how teams defend Houston vs how teams defend us? You would think if a team knows they don’t have to respect your run game and their edge rushers can just sell out on pass rush, and your LBs and safety’s don’t have to respect the run, it would create some difficult situations for a qb. Dak doesn’t have to deal with that as much. Watson has to create more because Houston hasn’t done him any favors ever since they drafted him.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

If the MF’er earns it with a trip to the Super Bowl or something, then lock him in. If you think it matters that we made Dak “prove it” and his annual hit is $42M vs something like $32M for us to roll the dice, I don’t know what to tell you. Let him prove me (and futureman) wrong. The cap is going to the moon anyway as you always say. I don’t think the Jones are convinced Dak is the guy to give $150-$200M guaranteed to, so we wait.

19 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Jones’s are such colossal football failures.

Jerrah's share of the glory(hole) when Jimmy was earning Lombardis was substantially more than his sum of the football glory(hole) the Cowboys have produced in the past 24 seasons.

Ain't it weird how life will show your ass the truth?

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

Can you sign a 30+ y.o. vet to the practice squad?  

Yep...

Instead of capping practice squads at 10 players this year, the amended collective bargaining agreement stipulates that practice squads will be made up of up to 16 players. (The new CBA originally increased the practice squad to 12 players, but that number was elevated to 16 because of the coronavirus pandemic.) Six of those slots can go to players with any amount of NFL experience."

• 1 month later...

Yes I haven’t watched anything other than two years of highlights. I don’t know if his game will translate to the pros but I do think he can be a better backup than rush which is why you draft a QB this low in the draft.

I just love watching him throw, would like to see his release right besides Marino, it’s uncanny. Marino with a stronger arm and obviously could read defenses but this kid can spin it
Bump.

5 minutes ago, futureman said:

his OL situation is exponentially worse than what dak had in the first four games.  he’s done more than dak in the league.  he’s undeniably a better player. 

Right Zach Martin is the difference between 488 yds per game to this bullshit ginger fraud that can’t complete a pass more than 10 yds