James Comey is my Homie

Hugo Stiglitz

You have to assume that Loretta Lynch, his boss as the Attorney General, had a big influence on the video messaging above.  If the whole investigation had been performed by Mueller it is clear that a drastic less amount of immunity would have been issued for Clinton's team and a strategy of indictments and flip you type of vise implementation would have been employed instead of the failed Comey strategy of giving immunity out like candy failed procedures.  At minimum Comey was a complete failure at the Hillary Clinton investigation.  But I attribute that to the perceived likelihood that Hillary was going to potentially be his boss in the 2017 Administration along with the messaging, whether perceived or actual coming from Loretta Lynch and the Obama Administration.

Either way it is clear that Mueller is the clearly supreme investigator if you were to compare Mueller and Comey.  To some degree, at minimum, justifying Comey's ouster.

Just now, Anastasis said:

No impact on the election.

Perhaps.  But was Comey influenced to reach the conclusion he reached?  Would Mueller have reached the same conclusion?  Would he have given Samuelson, etc,  and the rest immunity like Comey/Lynch?  I think not given the way he has executed, thus far, the Independent council investigations.  

Just now, zork said:

Perhaps.  But was Comey influenced to reach the conclusion he reached?  Would Mueller have reached the same conclusion?  Would he have given Samuelson, etc,  and the rest immunity like Comey/Lynch?  I think not given the way he has executed, thus far, the Independent council investigations.  

He was influencee by a Russian intelligence operation.  No shit.  His decision making was compromised by Russia.  But Hugo gonna white knight his ass. 

Edited by Anastasis

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

He was influencee by a Russian intelligence operation.  No shit.  His decision making was compromised by Russia.  But Hugo gonna white knight his ass. 

So you believe Comey was influenced by the Russians more than AG Lynch, his then current boss?(Edit: maybe sarcasm detector adjustment is necessary?

Edited by zork

4 minutes ago, zork said:

So you believe Comey was influenced by the Russians more than AG Lynch, his then current boss?(Edit: maybe sarcasm detector adjustment is necessary?

LOL,  I think that Bubba and Lynch's tarmac meeting influenced his decision making.  As did documents inserted into the FBI by a Russian intelligence operation. I wouldn't make qualitative assessments about more or less, but its all part of the toxic milieu that he was wading around in. 

34 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

LOL,  I think that Bubba and Lynch's tarmac meeting influenced his decision making.  As did documents inserted into the FBI by a Russian intelligence operation. I wouldn't make qualitative assessments about more or less, but its all part of the toxic milieu that he was wading around in. 

You keep banging that drum that the Steele Dossier is Russian deza and there's simply no evidence for it. If it's Russian deza, it's completely ineffective, because a lot of it has been held up as true and it's very derogatory information for Vlad to have out in the open.

Putin killed multiple people for talking to Chris Steele. It's a safe assumption that the information and documents they gave Steele are not things Putin wanted to see the light. Hence, that person no longer sees any light. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pods said:

You keep banging that drum that the Steele Dossier is Russian deza and there's simply no evidence for it. If it's Russian deza, it's completely ineffective, because a lot of it has been held up as true and it's very derogatory information for Vlad to have out in the open.

Putin killed multiple people for talking to Chris Steele. It's a safe assumption that the information and documents they gave Steele are not things Putin wanted to see the light. Hence, that person no longer sees any light. 

You are confused.  I am not talking about the Dossier. I am talking about the Russian intelligence materials that were inserted into the FBI, and that influenced Comey's decision making. Do a search for the WaPo series that covered this topic and come back to the discussion. 

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

You are confused.  I am not talking about the Dossier. I am talking about the Russian intelligence materials that were inserted into the FBI, and that influenced Comey's decision making. Do a search for the WaPo series that covered this topic and come back to the discussion. 

I just don’t see how anyone can pass judgment on Comey during that whole fiasco when it’s very clear the public doesn’t have all the facts on what went down inside the FBI regarding reopening the Clinton email investigation.

The biggest knock I have on Comey is holding that presser to end the email investigation in July.

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

LOL @ now we can't pass judgement because we don't have all the facts. That's the cornerstone of what we do here. 

I hope we do get all the details of what went down with the NY FBI field office/Giuliani and the reopening of the Clinton email investigation.

Maybe it makes it into OIG or Mueller report.

Comey only reported to the House oversight committee which he was expected to do per his duties as FBI director, Jason Chaffetz is the one that leaked IIRC

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I just don’t see how anyone can pass judgment on Comey during that whole fiasco when it’s very clear the public doesn’t have all the facts on what went down inside the FBI regarding reopening the Clinton email investigation.

The biggest knock I have on Comey is holding that presser to end the email investigation in July.

Lol, that doesn’t stop you from passing judgment non-stop in all your threads

• Fuck You 2

I qualified my statement.

What we don’t know is what Comey was facing if he didn’t report to the oversight committee they were looking into Hillary’s emails again.

We can only speculate but if Hillary won and it came out the FBI was still secretly looking into Hillary’s emails after they supposedly closed the investigation, it would have been painted as a betrayal of the public’s trust in the FBI.

Trump would have cried foul like a bitch, the GOP would have put the FBI on trial in congress for being bias against Trump in the election.

There’s a bigger picture most can’t see in Comey’s odd decision.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

He shouldna opened his fucking mouth with the original presser....then he wouldn't have felt compelled to spill and fuck Hillary over so close to the election.

I still scratch my head about the why of it. Maybe he was naively after greater transparency or maybe he is an attention whore. His book will be interesting for sure.

I will venture a guess his book is extremely damning of Trump and moderately damning of Hillary.  The former will be shouted about on MSNBC and the later on Fox.  Both will declare vindication.  Comey isn’t anyone’s homey, he bumblefucked the entire situation.

The GOP has become the Church of Scientology. Setting up smear websites to discredit those who "attack" them is straight up their playbook.

There's building a castle in the sky, and moving in. The GOP has been living in a state of permafried insanity for a while now.

Edited by ndawg

1 hour ago, ndawg said:

The GOP has become the Church of Scientology. Setting up smear websites to discredit those who "attack" them is straight up their playbook.

There's building a castle in the sky, and moving in. The GOP has been living in a state of permafried insanity for a while now.

Do CorrectTheRecord or MoveOn ring a bell?

1 hour ago, ndawg said:

The GOP is also just as desperate as the Scientologists.  Gerrymandering may not help them out 4--5 election cycles out.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

DanaTbYXcAA7qyp?format=jpg&name=medium

Of course this is what happened.   Comey is an egomaniac whose self-image is all about the appearance of uncompromising integrity.  Doing the right thing wasn't enough; he needed the world to think he did the right thing, so he put on a dog and pony show that, by its very nature, was not the right thing.   He's not a bad guy, but he's a phony. 

20 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Of course this is what happened.   Comey is an egomaniac whose self-image is all about the appearance of uncompromising integrity.  Doing the right thing wasn't enough; he needed the world to think he did the right thing, so he put on a dog and pony show that, by its very nature, was not the right thing.   He's not a bad guy, but he's a phony. 

Does no one have empathy or critical thinking skills anymore? Can no one see what a god awful shitty situation Comey was in at the time?

He was going to get politically thrown under the bus regardless of what decision he made.

If he failed to disclose they were reopening the closed email investigation, the GOP oversight committee would have found out about it after the election and put Comey’s ass and the FBI on public trial for playing politics by withholding relevant information from the public that could have influenced the outcome of the election.  

In hindsight, he made the wrong decision because Trump ended up winning with Comey’s help.

If Hillary had won, she may have rightfully fired Comey on day one but at least his conscience was clean.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

If he failed to disclose they were reopening the closed email investigation, the GOP oversight committee would have found out about it after the election and put Comey’s ass on public trial for playing politics by withholding relevant information from the public that could have influenced the outcome of the election.  

He only had to disclose that he was re-opening the investigation because he made a spectacle with his press conference of publically announcing the conclusion of the investigation. 

He was in a tough spot, in large part as the result of his poor decision making. 

But keep white knighting him Hugo.  He cost your girl the election. 

Edited by Anastasis

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Does no one have empathy or critical thinking skills anymore? Can no one see what a god awful shitty situation Comey was in at the time?

He was going to get politically thrown under the bus regardless of what decision he made.

If he failed to disclose they were reopening the closed email investigation, the GOP oversight committee would have found out about it after the election and put Comey’s ass on public trial for playing politics by withholding relevant information from the public that could have influenced the outcome of the election.  

In hindsight he made the wrong decision because Trump ended up winning.  

If Hillary had won, she may have rightfully fired Comey on day one but at least his conscience was clean.

Your take is the one that evidences a lack of critical thinking.  The situation you cite was entirely of Comey's own making.  The supposed obligation to notify Congress was self-imposed and contrary to agency policy.   The same policy that he conveniently invoked later when asked why he never told the public or Congress that the FBI was investigating the Trump campaign at the same time they were investigating Clinton.

Comey is neither a villain nor a hero.  He's a flawed but well-meaning public servant who royally fucked up by losing sight of his actual duty. 

• Like 2

I was willing to cut Comey some slack on his bad decisions, even though I thought he needed to do a better job of owning up to them publicly. We're all human and we all make mistakes, and he was in a pretty shitty situation (that he was partially responsible for putting himself in). But this shit about him doing what he did because he was concerned about protecting the legitimacy of what he assumed would be Hillary's presidency, rather than his own reputation, is some laughable bullshit.

• Like 1

As far as Comey not disclosing that Trump was under investigation, again he was in a bad position at the time.  If he came out and disclose they were looking at Trump/Russia at the time, it could have compromised the entire investigation and put the lives of sources in jeopardy.

Trump/Russia isn’t some petty investigation about a blow job or a private server.  It’s literally the most significant investigation of our lifetimes and concerns ongoing national security threats.  The goal is to get the bad guys.  Comey blowing the lid off that investigation would have let the bad guys get away.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

30 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Your take is the one that evidences a lack of critical thinking.  The situation you cite was entirely of Comey's own making.  The supposed obligation to notify Congress was self-imposed and contrary to agency policy.   The same policy that he conveniently invoked later when asked why he never told the public or Congress that the FBI was investigating the Trump campaign at the same time they were investigating Clinton.

Comey is neither a villain nor a hero.  He's a flawed but well-meaning public servant who royally fucked up by losing sight of his actual duty. 

It’s not the same policy as the Trump/Russia investigation.  The FBI doesn’t initially reveal who is or who is not under investigation for obvious reason.

In the case of Hillary, the FBI was REOPENING A CLOSED investigation.  There’s a big difference.

Also, that reopening has NOTHING to do with Comey’s silly press conference in July.  If he would have turned in his finding to the AG for public disclosure, the outcome would have been the same.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

30 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

I can't believe an official party Twitter would do that. Jesus Christ they're full of shit.

here's where i think brisket takes unfair criticism for his fatalistic recent takes. that's the fucking republican official twitter account, fully embracing trump tactics. brisket is right. the gop = trump. they are all in. it makes no sense.

27 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s not the same policy as the Trump/Russia investigation.  The FBI doesn’t initially reveal who is or who is not under investigation for obvious reason.

In the case of Hillary, the FBI was REOPENING A CLOSED investigation.  There’s a big difference.

Also, that reopening has NOTHING to do with Comey’s silly press conference in July.  If he would have turned in his finding to the AG for public disclosure, the outcome would have been the same.

There's literally no difference other than Comey making a promise he shouldn't and needn't have made.   If the policy is not publicly revealing who is under investigation, it shouldn't matter whether you closed and then revived the investigation along the way.   If the FBI had quietly closed the Trump investigation in September 2016, and then reopened it in October 2016, the non-disclosure policy wouldn't suddenly fall by the wayside.   The issue wasn't reopening a closed investigation; it was Comey's violation of policy in revealing the closure and promising to notify Congress if that changed.  He backed himself in a perjury corner of his own making. 

And I didn't say this was directly caused by the press conference.   It was caused by his statement to Congress that the investigation was complete and that he would notify them if that changed.  He shouldn't have said that.   But, of course, it was the press conference that led to all of that to begin with, because you can't exactly blab about all of the details of an investigation to the press and then stay quiet when Congress starts asking questions. 

Really, I don't understand how anyone can defend Comey's actions.  The head of the FBI has no business holding a press conference to browbeat the subject of an investigation — much less a presidential candidate — for conduct that he has determined to be non-criminal.  Everything that followed happened because he tried to play King Solomon and let Hillary off while making clear to the public how guilty she really was. 

(And Comey was right in what he said about her, but he shouldn't have been the one saying it.  Either recommend charging her or don't.  Save your disapproval for private conversations). 

Edited by Mojo Hand
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Really, I don't understand how anyone can defend Comey's actions.  The head of the FBI has no business holding a press conference to browbeat the subject of an investigation — much less a presidential candidate — for conduct that he has determined to be non-criminal.  Everything that followed happened because he tried to play King Solomon and let Hillary off while making clear to the public how guilty she really was. 

(And Comey was right in what he said about her, but he shouldn't have been the one saying it.  Either recommend charging her or don't.  Save your disapproval for private conversations). 

He shouldn't have allowed himself to be interjected into the process at all.  He apparently saw it as either an opportunity to curry favor with the existing or future administration or an opportunity to raise his profile or both.

About the most he should have had to say on the topic was "we have concluded the investigation and recommended to the AG/USA that she not be charged."  His later comment about the reopening of the investigation is pretty indefensible.  It was, at that point, an ongoing investigation about which he should have said "no comment."

Comey deserves criticism and scrutiny.  However, unlike other motherfuckers that run and hide behind twitter, he explained himself candidly under oath to the American people. 

You can second guess him, say he was wrong, and perhaps he was.  But at least he explained himself and his reasoning. 

You might not like it, you might disagree with it, but at least he was honest about why he did what he did. 

Again, it's not a matter of one extreme or the other.  Comey isn't a scumbag. He's not even in Trump's ballpark.  That doesn't mean he's a hero, either.  Or that he didn't massively mishandle the situation.  I'm glad he's speaking out about Trump now, but he owns a share of the blame for putting Trump where he is to begin with. 

• Like 2