The Prog Rock Thread

Rip76

I didn't see anything other than the "Bands chicks don't like," thread.

I'll start out with this band.  

YYNot  - I believe they started out as a Rush tribute band.  I follow the bass player on FB (he's a bad ass player)  They have a girl singer, I prefer this.

This was posted today.  Freaking talent.  (I'm not a fan of shredding guitar playing either.)

Bass Player doing "Freewill."  Wait till the solo.

• Like 3

This guy has been working on this for a couple of years, song by song, finally finished, the entire Lamb Lies Down album animated, it's fantastic, one of the coolest things I've ever seen.  Tons of period (1974 or so) musical easter eggs if you look closely... (ETA - the only thing I don't like is that he used the remixed version, doesn't have the punch of the original imo...)

Edited by UTCzech III
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2020 at 2:02 PM, Rip76 said:

I didn't see anything other than the "Bands chicks don't like," thread.

I'll start out with this band.  

YYNot  - I believe they started out as a Rush tribute band.  I follow the bass player on FB (he's a bad ass player)  They have a girl singer, I prefer this.

This was posted today.  Freaking talent.  (I'm not a fan of shredding guitar playing either.)

Bass Player doing "Freewill."  Wait till the solo.

The tone that bass is so sick.  That section of Freewill where the three of them are doing solo's in unison and then it ties back up is serious shit.  Those bass lines are killer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Porcupine Tree is the shit. Inject it into my veins.

Obviously Rush, Yes, Dream Theater, King Crimson, Pink Floyd are all staples.

Steven Wilson solo sort of fills the PT void, but I’ve not found anything else that really measures up.

I’d assume we’re all comfortable putting Tool into the Prog Metal category

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

So I'm gonna throw out some bands and if you thoughts on any of them I'd like to hear them, steer me toward something.  I've tried them and I just can't find the right thing I guess.

Renaissance (too much on the folk side for me)

Gentle Giant (kind of get that Mike Oldfield/jazz fusion feel from them)

Tangerine Dream (just getting into them, I like what I've heard so far, need to just give them a good run on Spotify and how much I can handle)

Camel - now these guys, I've only heard 1 song, back in high school (early 80's), had it on a mix tape recorded off the radio (KPFT in Houston) with no idea who it was, until maybe 10 years ago when I could finally google the lyrics, this tune I really like, has a kind of David Gilmour first solo album feel to it...

any others you can think of, I'll give anything a listen (point of reference, I'd go Floyd-Genesis-Rush-Yes-King Crimson in that order as far as personal preference goes, but I also love Brian Eno, Laurie Anderson, Philip Glass, Zappa, just always looking for something "different")

• Hook 'Em 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I don't know if anyone else follows this channel, but this guy is a composer and does a ton of prog listen/reactions, usually breaking down the songs, talking about chord structures etc.  He also does a lot of metal as well.  The only downside (to me anyway) is that he is not real knowledgeable about back catalogs and such, so sometimes you probably know more about a song than he does.  He's a good guy, I enjoy his videos:

• 1 year later...