There is more Cloak Room in Daily Texan than there is in Cloak Room.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I called you a pederast as a joke, I guess. Can’t remember. Do that a lot. Did I strike a nerve?

No, just noting that it's pretty strange that you have such strong feelings about a poster who doesn't even realize who you are.

Like, there are a lot of people who can't fucking stand me because I argue with them and talk to them like an asshole so I get it. If Brad was like, "fuck B_T he's a bitch" I could draw a connection to previous arguments and it would make sense.

You... who the fuck even are you?

I'm weary of our collective right to vote being eroded, of irregular military forces abducting american citizens under the guise of law enforcement action without probable cause or criminal charges, of our government not taking a global pandemic seriously and directly contributing to the extended severe conditions in our country, and of people acting like we should be happy with everything that's going on and anyone who feels otherwise is part of a leftist cabal.

Rex Beeper, I'm honestly happy for you that the worst thing in your life are the posts of internet strangers on a message board. I'm sorry that the world is unpleasant right now. If you don't like seeing people talk about current events in a current event forum, maybe you shouldn't open those threads?

Look, I'm no goober that doesn't want dissenting or counter opinions to my own views. I like that people post here over time and that there's a variety of views, and many that I disagree with vehemently. But rather than take my ball and push out people with a different view point, I'd rather engage with them to at least put it on the record that they have a shitty and completely unsupported by evidence opinion. But if you REALLY need a safe space, the internet may not be such a friendly place for you beeps.

Edited by Captainant
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

You... who the fuck even are you?

He's a Shaggy poster who had ruined his own reputation so badly that he needed a fresh start. Unfortunately his schtick is so narrow and obnoxious that it became very obvious very quickly who he was, so his reputation followed along.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

He's a Shaggy poster who had ruined his own reputation so badly that he needed a fresh start. Unfortunately his schtick is so narrow and obnoxious that it became very obvious very quickly who he was, so his reputation followed along.

That's fair.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

All of that is fine. Confined to CR. I do not care to hear about it elsewhere. Why on earth do you think anyone gives a fuck about your opinions outside of there?  Why?  

Does it hurt your feelings that a lot of people read my posts and feel the need to engage with them? Do you wish you could accomplish the same thing?

I can teach you how for tree-fiddy

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

All of that is fine. Confined to CR. I do not care to hear about it elsewhere. Why on earth do you think anyone gives a fuck about your opinions outside of there?  Why?  

Fuck you, I'm going to talk about our state and federal government making my family less safe and secure due to their direct action and policy decisions wrt/ COVID and secret police actions. It's a current event. I'm not bringing politics into it in DT, I'm just calling a spade a spade.

Sorry that the world is so unpleasant that it's directly challenged your world view just by reciting the facts. 

• Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

It doesn’t challenge my world view. Hell I probably agree with you. But it clutters up a space not designed for that particularly getting news about Covid. I haven’t gone to Covid thread much at all in last 2 months. Keep it to CR. You know you’re doing this to get a wider audience. All you’re doing is pissing people off and half of those people are in turn trying to piss you off. 

TIL that DT on Surly is a news aggregation site, and NOT a discussion board for current events. It's funny that you stopped posting in the COVID thread once it became unavoidable to admit that COVID-19 is a deadly global pandemic and that our state and federal decision makers actively intensified the pandemic with their policy decisions and direct action against testing, contact tracing, and proactive measures like facemask orders. 

It is not political to point to those decisions, and the current posture of those who decide for us all, and say "hey it looks like we're fucked and here's why". This isn't about abortions or guns or investigations. This is that my dad in a nursing home has a high likelihood of dying in his nursing home in his 60's  - and not from Parkinson's disease. This is about that we don't have ANY MOTHERFUCKING SPORTS OR ANY SEMBLANCE OF NORMAL LIFE. And yet for you, it's upsetting to state things as they are and we should act like everything is great because we're Americans. And it's political to be discontent and directly attribute our current state to the steps that brought us here. 

Please let me know if I'm off base, but that's how it's coming across to me.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

No matter what side you are on (and it's fucking ridiculous that people are being so fucking binary that they have to choose a side and can't hold views that cover different sides of the spectrum), at least the qanon regards never took root here, unlike at TexAgs, SECRant, reddit, etc.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hate said:

That’s all well and good, but you do get a little pissy when someone talks about China’s role in this debacle.

He demanded that the title of the thread be changed because it offended his sensibilities. Chinese Coronavirus.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Yeah when much of the world is at home and can’t really do much, I’m sure it’s purely the lack of sports. 

Traffic is not what it should be in a lot of places.  I manage several niche websites on the side.   A few should be doing much more traffic than normal (hobby sites that either saw people returning to said hobbies, or people had time for said hobbies), and for the first few months, they were.    Fantastic traffic.  But there was a definite drop-off as time went on.  From talking to folks/taking polls, it came down to as things went on, people got bogged down with shit that they used to push off or have other people handle, particularly those with kids.  There was also a huge rise in streaming (Disney+, HBO Now).  

On a side note, I've noticed that some of the hobby and movie/TV threads here are more active than they were in the past.

And people get weary of shit.  They get weary from being reminded what a shitshow 2020 is for many people.  They don't want to be reminded.  It's not posts in a DT thread that bog them down, it's seeing the fucking topic itself.  Because when they visit their local news sites, they see the same fucking topics.

This is a sports site.  The near-term future of sports is fucking depressing.  People don't want to be reminded of it, so they look elsewhere.  

If UT fields a team this fall, and there is success, you'll see plenty of traffic on this site and others.

• Like 1

July 4th I started posting full Surly again, including CR.

I will say straight up the conversations are better than they used to be. I have shared opinions on multiple topics, some even surprising folks where I landed on a given issue.  If those convesations and that atmosphere continue, I have no problem with the folks who used to go off the deepend and lose their minds because our opinions differ.CR is just fine with the politics from all sides when it doesn’t evolve into a shit fest.

It’s what makes the world go round.  I’ve always said I enjoy the conversations and seek dialogue.  That is still true..

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

No, I said we should change the thread title to be accurate to name of the disease. Don't shoot me over it!

And then I remember when you were criticizing local governments for encouraging protests. 

let me reiterate for those of you who undoubtedly will see this as an attack on the protests...I am not saying that the events that led to the protests should not have been protested.  I am merely pointing out that the timing of the protests during a pandemic was poor and posters and government officials criticizing people who went to bars and restaurants during that same time are hypocrites.

13 minutes ago, Hate said:

And then I remember when you were criticizing local governments for encouraging protests. 

Reveal hidden contents

let me reiterate for those of you who undoubtedly will see this as an attack on the protests...I am not saying that the events that led to the protests should not have been protested.  I am merely pointing out that the timing of the protests during a pandemic was poor and posters and government officials criticizing people who went to bars and restaurants during that same time are hypocrites.

[Citation needed] because I really don't recall what you're talking about

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, slorch said:

July 4th I started posting full Surly again, including CR.

I will say straight up the conversations are better than they used to be. I have shared opinions on multiple topics, some even surprising folks where I landed on a given issue.  If those convesations and that atmosphere continue, I have no problem with the folks who used to go off the deepend and lose their minds because our opinions differ.CR is just fine with the politics from all sides when it doesn’t evolve into a shit fest.

It’s what makes the world go round.  I’ve always said I enjoy the conversations and seek dialogue.  That is still true..

I'm happy that you are happy. lol

Seriously though, this situation we are in (I say we, because all of us are living in this timeline) is unprecedented. Never in another time in human history have this many things come together with communication available at the speed of light. We are being fed the most horrible information and takes and left to our own devices to process the tsunami of information flooding our faces, people are just fed up and tired of it. People are disengaging from society in a way that we've never seen before on a scale we've never seen before. Everyone wants out of this timeline, including those who are supporting the current people in office. If people aren't burying their head in the sand and intentionally avoiding things out of shear exhaustion they are actively fighting the good fight. Whether that means protesting for what they believe in and exercising their first amendment rights or coming to a message board to try and keep their flame of hope alive that all is not lost. This isn't a liberal or conservative thing this is an EVERYONE thing.

The honest to God truth is that Americans are so checked out and miserable they just want it all to end, we've become complacent to the point that it's disgusting. The stock market is completely divorced from reality and the wealthy are on a runaway train to nowhere. People just want to go home, open their iphone and watch the next episode of whatever fucking brain-dead bullshit there is, or watch some documentary about "how we know these people are all fucked up, but no one is doing anything about it" a la jeffrey epstein.

Fuck this timeline.

10 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'm happy that you are happy. lol

Seriously though, this situation we are in (I say we, because all of us are living in this timeline) is unprecedented. Never in another time in human history have this many things come together with communication available at the speed of light. We are being fed the most horrible information and takes and left to our own devices to process the tsunami of information flooding our faces, people are just fed up and tired of it. People are disengaging from society in a way that we've never seen before on a scale we've never seen before. Everyone wants out of this timeline, including those who are supporting the current people in office. If people aren't burying their head in the sand and intentionally avoiding things out of shear exhaustion they are actively fighting the good fight. Whether that means protesting for what they believe in and exercising their first amendment rights or coming to a message board to try and keep their flame of hope alive that all is not lost. This isn't a liberal or conservative thing this is an EVERYONE thing.

The honest to God truth is that Americans are so checked out and miserable they just want it all to end, we've become complacent to the point that it's disgusting. The stock market is completely divorced from reality and the wealthy are on a runaway train to nowhere. People just want to go home, open their iphone and watch the next episode of whatever fucking brain-dead bullshit there is, or watch some documentary about "how we know these people are all fucked up, but no one is doing anything about it" a la jeffrey epstein.

Fuck this timeline.

by the same token, many of us are equally frustrated with folks who want to throw out the baby with the bathwater because they are facing said 'discomfort' in life.   The whole world doesn't suck because of the tragic death of George Floyd.  The very existence of the opportunity to correct the situation is reason for optimism; but some folks insist on 100% doom and gloom all of the time.  Everything about America sucks... on the news, on message boards, out in public, whatever.

That simply isn't true, but it's all some folks want us to hear.

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

[Citation needed] because I really don't recall what you're talking about

It was obvious sarcasm pointing out that no posters were criticizing the governments that were vocally encouraging people to protests in the middle of a pandemic.  Why not?  Was it not just as dangerous to the public at large to encourage or at the very least condone "risky" behavior in the middle of the pandemic.  I'm also not suggesting that the protest are singularly to blame with the latest surge as it also coincides with the "opening up" timeline.  I agree that the reason people were protesting for police reform is a just cause, but it's easy to understand frustrations when other people are being shouted down and belittled for protesting what they believe is right.  Just be consistent.  The "muh rights" shtick in beyond old especially when there are plenty of examples of people who are obviously not in the "Maga" camp exhibiting the same behaviors.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

It was obvious sarcasm pointing out that no posters were criticizing the governments that were vocally encouraging people to protests in the middle of a pandemic.  Why not?  Was it not just as dangerous to the public at large to encourage or at the very least condone "risky" behavior in the middle of the pandemic.  I'm also not suggesting that the protest are singularly to blame with the latest surge as it also coincides with the "opening up" timeline.  I agree that the reason people were protesting for police reform is a just cause, but it's easy to understand frustrations when other people are being shouted down and belittled for protesting what they believe is right.  Just be consistent.  The "muh rights" shtick in beyond old especially when there are plenty of examples of people who are obviously not in the "Maga" camp exhibiting the same behaviors.  

Yes, yes, both sides equivocation. We're all very familiar with the schitck. It was totally NOT a partisan wedge issue for a few months on if wearing a mask was a good thing to do or not, right? Something that is strictly a health issue broadly recommended, but was actively rolled back by our governor and ignored by the president? Fuck that noise that it isn't exclusively one base of people pushing not wearing a mask because they "can't breathe" or their religious beliefs or whatever horse shit to follow their leader. 

If what you believe is right, is putting others health at risk, then you just may be a piece of shit. 2nd person - you, of course, not YOU 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

8 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

The huge problem is you, Hugo and many others that never post out of CR are now frequently posting in DT and here. You’re like people who move into the neighborhood and put a couch on your porch and a car on cinder blocks on the front yard. I just want to leave. 

You should report this to the administration that your safe space has now been violated.

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I hope you'll notice the sentences after my first one. I wrote em just for you

I noticed and I don't disagree.  I think you have me in a camp to which I don't belong.  It may seem that way when I point out something I think is hypocritical though.

2 hours ago, immamac said:

People just want to go home, open their iphone and watch the next episode of whatever fucking brain-dead bullshit there is, or watch some documentary about "how we know these people are all fucked up, but no one is doing anything about it" a la jeffrey epstein.

Fuck this timeline.

They just need to watch Supermarket Sweep on Netflix.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

This is a site that started up, in part, to people pissed off at the status quo of other sites as well.  So we are a little more surly than most.

I understand, but in this case the media platform is not the overriding message. Thank you surliest for carrying on. 

7 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

He demanded that the title of the thread be changed because it offended his sensibilities. Chinese Coronavirus.

You know the US does not want war with China at this moment, right? Sensible Americans do not want a war with China - or any war against say . . . Iran, Russia or China. A war does the US no good and it threatens our way of life. Time to tone down war talk. 

Speak softly and carry a big stick - but put your mask on first. 

image.png.7190d65bbe332f8aa15689a113ad7207.png

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

They just need to watch Supermarket Sweep on Netflix.

Man, that show was my shit back in the day. Not sure why I was so fond of it but to this day, I like to think I'm a contestant on that show everytime I step foot in a grocery store. I hate grocery shopping (and shopping in general) aside from looking at milfs in yoga pants so it's a fun game to play while trying to hurry and get the fuck out of there. /csb

• Like 1

10 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

You know the US does not want war with China at this moment, right? Sensible Americans do not want a war with China - or any war against say . . . Iran, Russia or China. A war does the US no good and it threatens our way of life. Time to tone down war talk. 

Speak softly and carry a big stick - but put your mask on first. 

image.png.7190d65bbe332f8aa15689a113ad7207.png

I would not cry if Hong Kong, and Taiwan came together and fight China with US backing. China has become the new "Evil Empire".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Okay. What contextual relevance does this have?  None?  Yeah, none. 

Sorry. Let me break it down. The "Chinese Virus" moniker is political (and does not belong in the DT). Further, a war with China is counter-productive for the US, given our delicate untethering from China; we need that transition away from China to be smooth and uneventful. Foreign Policy 101. Foreign Policy is geopolitics - again, not suitable for DT per the request of the Welcome Wagon using DT as a sanctuary from politics. That's what you want - correct? No politics in the DT? Ergo - calling it the China Virus is political and not appropriate for DT. No?

On 7/20/2020 at 2:31 PM, Captainant said:

It's not negging posts that are conservative, it's negging posts that are full of fallacies and have zero supporting evidence. And usually are propagating lies from the White House under the guise of "jUsT aSkInG qUeStIoNs". The negs come when butthurt snowflakes like yourself cry foul after being unable to actually support your position with evidence instead of rhetoric.

Sorry you can't post your wishes of shooting immigrants in the CR anymore. I personally think the place is better off without extremists with violent wishes, but to each their own.

You must have reached neg rep capacity every day when the Russia bullshit was 98 percent of all the cloak room posts.  Because that entire episode was a fallacy with zero supporting evidence.

But of course muh Russia is why clinically insane Hugo and his cabal lemmings have ridiculous rep scores here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

33 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Lol he's been on a roll! I didn't realize he was neg-swarming every poster that he disagreed with

What a fuckin' snowflake

24 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah but he hasn’t done it in the last few hours 

spacer.png

poor CaptainAntifa and JustStupid

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 5