Milwaukee Bucks boycotting Game 5 in protest of the Jacob Blake shooting

shadow_operative

I also find it funny that anyone would just blindly trust what the police are reporting lol. Like that badge makes them any more trustworthy. Like they aren’t trying to cover their tracks when they fucked up on the job. I bet this doesn’t happen if the cop knew he was being filmed from across the street. He was ready to falsify the shit out if that police report. 

“he grabbed my gun, there was a struggle. My life was legitimately in danger”

I can already read it.

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Hook 'Em 2

I also find it funny that anyone would just blindly trust what the police are reporting lol. Like that badge makes them any more trustworthy. Like they aren’t trying to cover their tracks when they fucked up on the job. I bet this doesn’t happen if the cop knew he was being filmed from across the street. He was ready to falsify the shit out if that police report. 

“he grabbed my gun, there was a struggle. My life was legitimately in danger”

I can already read it.

Do we blindly trust the cut down videos that come out first that don’t show the whole story?

6 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Do we blindly trust the cut down videos that come out first that don’t show the whole story?

I trust it more than i trust the word of a few police officers that are trying to save their own ass. Yes. Yes i do. A lot more, actually. I believe it was in the departed, but “nobody is more full of shit than a cop”

you’d probably say the same thing about this video too, huh. That cop took the raptors owner to court because he said he was the aggressor

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, d2o said:

I get it.   The story just had me a little fucked up.    I can't even begin to imagine an interaction like that with police.

I mean... I've been arrested multiple times, too. The other takeaway is that some cops are good at deescalating situations and some aren't. And the ones that shoot people in cold blood always have alternatives available.

Like, the next day I thought "Holy shit that cop was cool." Not, "why would that situation have gone down differently?"

Edited by ztejas

2 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

No it’s more about black communities and culture glorifying the criminals and etc. “Free my man____ he ain’t done nothing” stuff.

Racists almost always out themselves eventually. Exhibit A.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

It's interesting how the people who supposedly love capitalism and free enterprise the most get so upset when wealthy black men leverage capitalism and free enterprise to advance their causes.

Good for all of the players. I'd be upset if they decided to sit out the rest of the season because the playoffs have been a great distraction and couch/beer-drinking activity during Covid. I would miss basketball big time. But if they do, I'll be proud of what they're doing. It's American as fuck.

Who is getting upset on this thread?  Or are you talking about twitter or people irl you know or what?  

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Who is getting upset on this thread?  Or are you talking about twitter or people irl you know or what?  

LOL. There are dozens of posts containing several posters complaining about this, calling the players stupid (literally the second post in the thread). There's a poster that basically did the message board version of black face, whom I quoted one post up. 

You have some weird sensitivities, man. This thread is littered with people with an angry and/or patronizing tone towards these players because of this. I'm not sure why you're trying to challenge that, nor am I sure why you are sensitive about it.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

It's interesting how the people who supposedly love capitalism and free enterprise the most get so upset when wealthy black men leverage capitalism and free enterprise to advance their causes.

Off topic and probably a thread derail, but I think my "favorite" meme from 2020 was something to the effect of "Now that we know who the essential workers truly are, can we start paying these spoiled athletes way less?" Circulated by the same folks who love them some capitalism...but apparently fail to grasp simple supply and demand economics.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m not on Twitter. I believe it’s a cesspool. Sometimes I think I might miss out on the cultural zeitgeist but it Doesn’t make me want to sign up

Let me rephrase what i meant. A lot of mad conservatives on social media, Fox News, and OAN, telling them to shut up and dribble 

1 minute ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Let me rephrase what i meant. A lot of mad conservatives on social media, Fox News, and OAN, telling them to shut up and dribble 

I understood what you meant- it was clear. I don’t engage with any of that so I’m gleefully oblivious to all that nonsense.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

LOL. There are dozens of posts containing several posters complaining about this, calling the players stupid (literally the second post in the thread). There's a poster that basically did the message board version of black face, whom I quoted one post up. 

You have some weird sensitivities, man. This thread is littered with people with an angry and/or patronizing tone towards these players because of this. I'm not sure why you're trying to challenge that, nor am I sure why you are sensitive about it.

So I just reread page 1. Theres 50 posts on there. I saw the one meme you were talking about with Will Ferrell and none of the other 49 posts seemed to be any of what you were talking about. Is 2% of the comments worth worrying about?  That’s a serious question- I typically glaze over anything in any direction I believe to be an outlier/not representative of any serious position and completely lacking much in the way of support. 
Not sensitive. Curious as to where you see that going on and what level of support you think it has. 

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So I just reread page 1. Theres 50 posts on there. I saw the one meme you were talking about with Will Ferrell and none of the other 49 posts seemed to be any of what you were talking about. Is 2% of the comments worth worrying about?  That’s a serious question- I typically glaze over anything in any direction I believe to be an outlier/not representative of any serious position and completely lacking much in the way of support. 
Not sensitive. Curious as to where you see that going on and what level of support you think it has. 

There are 3-4 posts on page 1 that I just found and it gets worse from there. I'm not re-reading this whole garbage truck of a thread. 

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:
4 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:
Guessing James was especially pissed that the Bucks boycotted before the Lakers could.   If anyone is enjoying this chase for martyrdom it's been the self-annointed King. 
Feel terrible for him.  

Wulaw thinks this is a thoughtful, well-reasoned post.

Nah. People hate Lebron though. I’ve never gotten more hate mail/mega than on the other site- when I wrote in 2010, that the NBA was in the LeBron era and it all centered around him. I got flayed. And then I’d bump that thread once or twice a year

for the next 5 years and ask if we were in the LeBron era yet. So, I assume that’s not a political potshot and more related to LeBron hate. Maybe I’m wrong. That would bring the negative responses on the first page up to an entire 4% of the responses (2 out of 50). Do you ever expect 100% consensus on anything?  I guess I posted that because I’m actually surprised at how little nonsense there is on this thread ripping the players or telling them to shut up and dribble. Like- almost none. 

Nah. People hate Lebron though. I’ve never gotten more hate mail/mega than on the other site- when I wrote in 2010, that the NBA was in the LeBron era and it all centered around him. I got flayed. And then I’d bump that thread once or twice a year

for the next 5 years and ask if we were in the LeBron era yet. So, I assume that’s not a political potshot and more related to LeBron hate. Maybe I’m wrong. That would bring the negative responses on the first page up to an entire 4% of the responses (2 out of 50). Do you ever expect 100% consensus on anything?  I guess I posted that because I’m actually surprised at how little nonsense there is on this thread ripping the players or telling them to shut up and dribble. Like- almost none. 

You are the king of rabbit holes and meandering arguments. I mean that in the nicest way possible, because I like you.

• Hook 'Em 1

And you're OK with the bald-faced racism exhibited by HtownHorn and Bevo VIII?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

And you're OK with the bald-faced racism exhibited by HtownHorn and Bevo VIII?

I don’t know either of those guys or have much of an opinion (positive, negative, indifferent) toward them in any way. 
when I read something once that makes me cringe I try to give the benefit of the doubt that this is a message board and often times not fully fleshed out thoughts or conveyed on an iPhone while people are on the shitter or watching weather channel reports of hurricanes going through houston. 
I had a guy that negged everything I said on the college football thread (and write some mean stuff)  PM me and tell me he was having a tough time and his parents were in the hospital and invite me to have a beer at Schultz the next time I was at a game (hell, maybe that was a set up to kill me serial killer style- but I’d like to think that it was two people who might not agree finding a little common ground and humanity). 
I think that I could probably enjoy having a beer with 80 or 90% of this board and if we saw each other irl we’d look to things that we share in common rather than things that divide us. I try to act accordingly when I post here. That’s my enjoyment of the board and how I do it. I don’t expect 100% consensus. It would shock me. I get literally 100% of my news about the world from Surly. So, when I read it it is my filter for “how is the world reacting to this”. When I see tons of posts that are like “yeah go players” or ballsy stance let’s we what that does for them and a few posts with a meme or LeBron hate I just sort of glaze over all that. 
so, from reading this thread I think the consensus (not 100% acclimation) is good for them for using their voice/ probably futile but worth exploring with a very small minority saying anything other than that. I see Brads post and I ask- where are you getting this from I don’t understand. 
Maybe I’m doing this wrong. I’m sure I’m doing this differently than most. If I think someone is a troll, bigot, or ankle biter I will ignore them. But I try to give most people the benefit of the doubt and when I ask for an explanation I’m literally trying to figure out what someone is saying or where they are coming from. 

13 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

They should definitely cancel the season.   In fact, they should boycott the 2021 season.  Truly, if the owners can't fix society by the end of 2021, the players should boycott indefinitely.  

Sure, they might have to get regular jobs, like regular people.  And yeah, those regular jobs probably won't pay $400,000 for 2-3 hours worth of work...but that kind of personal sacrifice makes a powerful statement.   

The best way to change society is to de-platform yourself.    

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The WNBA is now postponing games.

Ballgame, racists.

Not sure if mentioned but FC Dallas cancelled their game right at kick off. I agree with it but it was funny and sad  to think how insignificant fc dallas is.

Edited by Zepol87

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

LeBron James said "Dammit I'm LeBron"

Aside - is LeBron the most powerful athlete in American sports history? In terms of influence on the league? 

No, Mohammed Ali was, full stop.  Jackie Robinson could have been, but if he had tried---he wouldn't have been Jackie Robinson.  LeBron is doing what he can though, this is his moment, and I salute him.  

28 minutes ago, Monster said:

They should definitely cancel the season.   In fact, they should boycott the 2021 season.  Truly, if the owners can't fix society by the end of 2021, the players should boycott indefinitely.  

Sure, they might have to get regular jobs, like regular people.  And yeah, those regular jobs probably won't pay $400,000 for 2-3 hours worth of work...but that kind of personal sacrifice makes a powerful statement.   

The best way to change society is to de-platform yourself.    

What an awesome non sequitur you've got there.