Markets still falling like whoa

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

So wtf happened to KO today?  They had a good read out, no?

The beat was priced in? Run-up in pre-market because of lower liquidity, followed by a profit-taking selloff at the bell? The fact that it's an established stock with minimal growth, resulting in a range-bound trading pattern?

Take your pick.

N.B. I generally have no idea what I'm talking about and am probably making things up.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Yesterday at close was a really awesome time to close a short position in nflx.

Yeah, I bought call options on TWTR and SQ (TWTR earnings tomorrow pre-market) around lunch thinking the worst may be over for the day.  Could've got in much cheaper. 

51 minutes ago, SDG said:

There was discussion of FTR on the old board. Looks to be having quite the day.  

An erstwhile dividend trap dumpster fire that now is just a dumpster fire. Still further from its 52-week high than its low. I guess if you were stupid enough to recently buy into a stock that went to a 1:15 reverse split less than a year ago, you're having quite the day.

My portfolio hasn't completely shit the bed, but BA is definitely leading that charge. VOD and a technology mutual fund are my only decent prrformers. My pot stock is starting to come around as well, but that won't last until Canada legalizes.

3 hours ago, Yarbr said:

My portfolio hasn't completely shit the bed, but BA is definitely leading that charge. VOD and a technology mutual fund are my only decent prrformers. My pot stock is starting to come around as well, but that won't last until Canada legalizes.

I lost 5% on my Canadian pot stocks this week so far.  I'm going long on them and the US based ones. 

On 5/2/2018 at 8:49 AM, SDG said:

There was discussion of FTR on the old board. Looks to be having quite the day.  

I don't know much about the market, but I know about telecoms and Frontier is the worst telecom I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with.  They are a shit company.  They bought Texas from Verizon and are going to ride Verizon's old copper in to the ground.  They don't care about improving the network or even fixing it when things break.

Edited by kevwun

52 minutes ago, SDG said:

do Tesla shareholders revolt after Musk’s comments yesterday?

not sure what he was thinking. i've listened to countless investor calls, and 99% of the time they are boring as fuck and very scripted. going off like that doesn't indicate a sober, stable chief executive. i know the guy has an edge, but wow.

On 5/4/2018 at 2:46 AM, kevwun said:

I don't know much about the market, but I know about telecoms and Frontier is the worst telecom I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with.  They are a shit company.  They bought Texas from Verizon and are going to ride Verizon's old copper in to the ground.  They don't care about improving the network or even fixing it when things break.

Yes. My brother went to work for GTE right out of UT and has been with Verizon since that buyout. Since he was one of the few people left at Verizon who knew those old systems he ended up helping set up the transfer.

53 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Down 20% into the close. I toyed with the idea of throwing some play money at it to ride it down to zero, but didn't pull the trigger.  

Take that play money and buy your wife something nice. Going in on that stock is equivalent to lighting it on fire. 

The movie pass idea is nice but this group never got the grasp of a sustainable model and it was apparent a long time ago.  Maybe the next group that tries it will do some financial math first.  

Just now, SDG said:

Take that play money and buy your wife something nice. Going in on that stock is equivalent to lighting it on fire. 

The movie pass idea is nice but this group never got the grasp of a sustainable model and it was apparent a long time ago.  Maybe the next group that tries it will do some financial math first.  

To be clear, I was considering a short, but Schwab tells me that it is too hard to borrow. 

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 2:34 PM, Yarbr said:

Canadian pot stocks finally making their run prior to rec legalisation. The one I'm in, Canopy, made an announcement to list on the NYSE by the end of the month. Been a good week.

Both of the one's I'm in right now are up.  One is still below when I bought in by a couple quarters but I'm in it for the long haul.