Jump to content
Llano Estacado

Markets still falling like whoa

Recommended Posts

Any of you still follow HMNY (Movie Pass majority owner)?

The a falling like a rock today, with the pricing of a $30 million offering, at $2.75/unit (an unit being 1 common share & warrants to buy additional shares).
Price yesterday closed at $3.83, today it is trading at $2.32.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

So wtf happened to KO today?  They had a good read out, no?

The beat was priced in? Run-up in pre-market because of lower liquidity, followed by a profit-taking selloff at the bell? The fact that it's an established stock with minimal growth, resulting in a range-bound trading pattern?

 

Take your pick.

 

N.B. I generally have no idea what I'm talking about and am probably making things up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Yesterday at close was a really awesome time to close a short position in nflx.

"Was that wrong?  Should I not have done that? "  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Talk about a beat down today: MMM, RTN, SQ, GOOGL, AMZN, CAT, FCX

Meanwhile, WHR missed earnings, is up 4 percent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Yesterday at close was a really awesome time to close a short position in nflx.

Yeah, I bought call options on TWTR and SQ (TWTR earnings tomorrow pre-market) around lunch thinking the worst may be over for the day.  Could've got in much cheaper. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, SDG said:

T (att) shitting the bed after earnings last night...

You want that dividend yield.  You need that dividend yield.    Almost 6% after this drop.  That's twice the 10 yr plus upside. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

You want that dividend yield.  You need that dividend yield.    Almost 6% after this drop.  That's twice the 10 yr plus upside. 

I am taking it in the shorts on T right now, trying to resist urge to double down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I am weak, added a piece. 

It may be a rough ride for a bit, but I'd buy it down as well and make sure dividends are re-invested.  Keep piling up shares that continue to pay you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was discussion of FTR on the old board. Looks to be having quite the day.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, SDG said:

There was discussion of FTR on the old board. Looks to be having quite the day.  

An erstwhile dividend trap dumpster fire that now is just a dumpster fire. Still further from its 52-week high than its low. I guess if you were stupid enough to recently buy into a stock that went to a 1:15 reverse split less than a year ago, you're having quite the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My portfolio hasn't completely shit the bed, but BA is definitely leading that charge. VOD and a technology mutual fund are my only decent prrformers. My pot stock is starting to come around as well, but that won't last until Canada legalizes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

do Tesla shareholders revolt after Musk’s comments yesterday?

Edited by SDG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yarbr said:

My portfolio hasn't completely shit the bed, but BA is definitely leading that charge. VOD and a technology mutual fund are my only decent prrformers. My pot stock is starting to come around as well, but that won't last until Canada legalizes.

I lost 5% on my Canadian pot stocks this week so far.  I'm going long on them and the US based ones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, SDG said:

do Tesla shareholders revolt after Musk’s comments yesterday?

He certainly didn't do them any favors or make any friends yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2018 at 8:49 AM, SDG said:

There was discussion of FTR on the old board. Looks to be having quite the day.  

I don't know much about the market, but I know about telecoms and Frontier is the worst telecom I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with.  They are a shit company.  They bought Texas from Verizon and are going to ride Verizon's old copper in to the ground.  They don't care about improving the network or even fixing it when things break.

Edited by kevwun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, SDG said:

do Tesla shareholders revolt after Musk’s comments yesterday?

not sure what he was thinking. i've listened to countless investor calls, and 99% of the time they are boring as fuck and very scripted. going off like that doesn't indicate a sober, stable chief executive. i know the guy has an edge, but wow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2018 at 2:46 AM, kevwun said:

I don't know much about the market, but I know about telecoms and Frontier is the worst telecom I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with.  They are a shit company.  They bought Texas from Verizon and are going to ride Verizon's old copper in to the ground.  They don't care about improving the network or even fixing it when things break.

Yes. My brother went to work for GTE right out of UT and has been with Verizon since that buyout. Since he was one of the few people left at Verizon who knew those old systems he ended up helping set up the transfer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

People are still trading that scam?

Unreal.  You should read the StockTwits pumpers.  Major lulz 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got a pop in my CTL holdings today (they’ve paid solid dividends though).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

And it's flat again.  

Down 20% into the close. I toyed with the idea of throwing some play money at it to ride it down to zero, but didn't pull the trigger.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Down 20% into the close. I toyed with the idea of throwing some play money at it to ride it down to zero, but didn't pull the trigger.  

Take that play money and buy your wife something nice. Going in on that stock is equivalent to lighting it on fire. 

The movie pass idea is nice but this group never got the grasp of a sustainable model and it was apparent a long time ago.  Maybe the next group that tries it will do some financial math first.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SDG said:

Take that play money and buy your wife something nice. Going in on that stock is equivalent to lighting it on fire. 

The movie pass idea is nice but this group never got the grasp of a sustainable model and it was apparent a long time ago.  Maybe the next group that tries it will do some financial math first.  

To be clear, I was considering a short, but Schwab tells me that it is too hard to borrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Anastasis said:

To be clear, I was considering a short, but Schwab tells me that it is too hard to borrow. 

Does it have options?  Some puts or selling calls could get you short that POS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

so that was a crazy few minutes for healthcare portfolios. 

I'm still extraordinarily long VRX and VRX calls.  I"m liking it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Canadian pot stocks finally making their run prior to rec legalisation. The one I'm in, Canopy, made an announcement to list on the NYSE by the end of the month. Been a good week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 2:34 PM, Yarbr said:

Canadian pot stocks finally making their run prior to rec legalisation. The one I'm in, Canopy, made an announcement to list on the NYSE by the end of the month. Been a good week.

Both of the one's I'm in right now are up.  One is still below when I bought in by a couple quarters but I'm in it for the long haul. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember a HLF thread on the old site.  It’s having a bad day..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...